Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Thanks everyone. So if you fail the rouse check, the discipline still happens, but your hunger goes up? That seems pretty straight forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Soonmot posted:

Thanks everyone. So if you fail the rouse check, the discipline still happens, but your hunger goes up? That seems pretty straight forward.

Yup! As someone playing in a V5 game at the moment the main thing it's done is to make the party Tremere kill someone in a club bathroom because he hosed up trying to feed after failing a bunch of rouse checks to do his weird Tremere rituals at the start of the night. (The same thing later happened with our club's security guy, although we later determined this was because we were misinterpreting when The Beast takes over.)

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Soonmot posted:

It seems similar to the conflict system in L5R 5th edition, you fail enough dice rolls until you fill your *drama* meter and poo poo happens.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 22, 2020

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
Also a rouse check is a single dice roll with a difficulty of 6. If you have to make a check there’s a 50:50 chance whether you’ll be fine Or you’ll incur a hunger penalty. So using any discipline level that has a rouse check has an accumulating risk.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Hence the summation that in V5, you have a pool of 5 blood points (but almost always have 4/5 in the tank, at best) while your powers cost 1d2-1 blood points to use.

I think Hunger as a number that ticks upwards and straightforwardly translates into hunger dice is good, but powers with randomized skill costs are bad - I know it averages out the same over the long run, but it's really weird to get situations where two vampires each use three discipline powers apiece and one remains fine while the other winds up completely tapped out and voracious due to a bad series of coin flips. I think if I were rewriting V5 I'd just make Hunger go from 1-10 rather than 1-5, replace every "rouse check" with just "gain 1 Hunger", and create a longer, smoother gradient for how hunger dice affect roll outcomes. Like, you might need multiple 1s on a failure, or 10s on a success, or both, to be hunger dice in order to act out in severe, bridge-burning ways (although minimal results might still result in hisses, briefly bared fangs, too-long stares at jugular veins, and other signs that mostly put off regular mortals but can tip off hunters).

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 22, 2020

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Frankly everyone should just abandon V5, V20, and Requiem. Just play Wraith. :ghost:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Frankly everyone should just abandon V5, V20, and Requiem. Just play Wraith. :ghost:
On a long enough timeline, every character can theoretically be playable in Wraith, or Geist, depending on if it's WoD or CoD.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Angry Lobster posted:

It seems similar too the conflict system in L5R 5th edition, you fail enough dice rolls until you fill your *drama* meter and poo poo happens.

Essentially, yeah. It's less of a pool or meter and more of a clock or timer. And it has a nice flattening effect where the most powerful vampires are always just a couple failed rolls away from losing it and going into a Hunger frenzy, especially if they're trying to pop off with disciplines.

Basically every time I want to use a Discipline that rouses (which is all the good ones), I have to wait for half a second to be like "is it worth it to risk getting hungrier, will this gently caress up my whole night?" and I think that's cool and fun, personally

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

citybeatnik posted:

It's not a true WoD game unless you roll 16 dice to hit and still somehow do zero damage on the roll due to 1s.

Now this is what I call a game of personal horror lol

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

GNU Order posted:

In a broad sense you do have a minor amount of control over it. Increase your blood potency and you can reroll Discipline rouse checks

And yes, the purpose of the mechanic is to take away your narrative agency. There's a beast inside of you who's trying to control you and take away your agency. The idea that determinism and narrative control are ideal and "randomness" and inability to be powerful in a predictable way is bad isn't at all expressed in V5. I haven't seen any of the developers talk about it expressly but it was clearly a conscious choice. Not only can you fail the thing you're trying to do, but if you try to do powerful things the clock might tick closer to midnight and the Beast can come out, and there's not a hell of a lot you can do to stop it. That's like, Vampire.

This guy gets it

ElNarez posted:

I feel like this discounts the fact that, in V5, there always exists a possibility that you will use a power at no cost. You can, in theory, do cool poo poo all the time and barely get penalized for it. I would even argue that passing a Rouse check on a discipline acts as an incentive to do more cool poo poo further down the line. Failing a check, however, means you have to feed, which creates an opportunity for conflict, which is also cool.

This guy also gets it

Oberst fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 23, 2020

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
What's kind of sad here is that if the V5 team really wanted to make a game about managing an eternal, accursed hunger rather than about managing the mana orb at the right side of your screen, the solution was staring them in the face: just remove the rule that you can't make voluntary rouse checks at Hunger 5. Instead, make it so that failing a rouse check at Hunger 5 automatically throws you into a scenelong (nightlong?) frenzy of some kind. Maybe each time you do it you risk Humanity loss regardless of what happens in the frenzy, or you definitely lose Humanity if you aren't able to find any blood in the frenzy but risk losing it the usual way if you end up eating someone alive.

Boom! Limitless power! Objectively true on the base, game-mechanical level that vampires don't need blood - they just want it, and want it more and more badly the more they revel in their power. They don't need to steal it from us to survive, just to keep pretending they're human.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 23, 2020

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That's actually a real solid plan. Vampires can live forever just by being human, but the more they push that supernatural edge, the more they lose of their humanity.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

:hmmyes:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ferrinus posted:

What's kind of sad here is that if the V5 team really wanted to make a game about managing an eternal, accursed hunger rather than about managing the mana orb at the right side of your screen, the solution was staring them in the face: just remove the rule that you can't make voluntary rouse checks at Hunger 5. Instead, make it so that failing a rouse check at Hunger 5 automatically throws you into a scenelong (nightlong?) frenzy of some kind. Maybe each time you do it you risk Humanity loss regardless of what happens in the frenzy, or you definitely lose Humanity if you aren't able to find any blood in the frenzy but risk losing it the usual way if you end up eating someone alive.

Boom! Limitless power! Objectively true on the base, game-mechanical level that vampires don't need blood - they just want it, and want it more and more badly the more they revel in their power. They don't need to steal it from us to survive, just to keep pretending they're human.

It feels like the current hunger mechanics in V5 can quickly spiral out of control, too, with a few bad rolls.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

It feels like the current hunger mechanics in V5 can quickly spiral out of control, too, with a few bad rolls.

Yeah, but that’s because you’re effectively starting with 8 blood points and randomly losing 2 at a time, so it’s very easy to drop to 0 and lose the ability to do anything. If Hunger only stopped you from controlling yourself but didn’t stop you from exerting your powers it’d feel very different.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 23, 2020

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

"Breath Deep" was the werewolf paperback where that work around was first encountered by me.

But yeah i agree with ya there. I'm not sure who it was that first came up with what happens if you're a Mwtis and succumb to the Thrall of the Defiler Wyrm but i hope they're on a watch list somewhere.

I'm afraid to ask what happens to those metis, how bad is it?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, but that’s because you’re effectively starting with 8 blood points and randomly losing 2 at a time, so it’s very easy to drop to 0 and lose the ability to do anything. If Hunger only stopped you from controlling yourself but didn’t stop you from exerting your powers it’d feel very different.

Conceptually that makes more sense. The whole feel is that major discipline use is you trying to tap the power of the beast without fully waking it. And if you're unlucky then the beast takes over and fucks things up until you can feed to get it under control again. So maxing out hunger shouldn't really stop you using your powers, it's just that you've lost control so the default outcome should be messy and potentially masquerade breaching.

I'm not sure what the best way is to represent that mechanically though. People who say the current method is a bit fiddly are also right. You want something that has minimal bookkeeping while still making you think twice before voluntarily losing control to the beast.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

xanthan posted:

I'm afraid to ask what happens to those metis, how bad is it?

It's pretty fuckin' bad.

they start raping

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Hillary 2020 posted:

Conceptually that makes more sense. The whole feel is that major discipline use is you trying to tap the power of the beast without fully waking it. And if you're unlucky then the beast takes over and fucks things up until you can feed to get it under control again. So maxing out hunger shouldn't really stop you using your powers, it's just that you've lost control so the default outcome should be messy and potentially masquerade breaching.

I'm not sure what the best way is to represent that mechanically though. People who say the current method is a bit fiddly are also right. You want something that has minimal bookkeeping while still making you think twice before voluntarily losing control to the beast.

I'm really confident in my suggestion from above, actually: you can make as many rouse checks as you want, but succeeding on a voluntary rouse check at Hunger 5 drops you into automatic frenzy and dumps a bunch of Stains on you regardless of the outcome of that frenzy.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

It's pretty fuckin' bad.

they start raping

Hey now, let's be clear here, there's plenty ambiguity in the rules about this.

Specifically, whether it applies to the incapacitated, or the dead. :suicide:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, the other two get human eating or... well, I forget what Beast-of-War does. I assume it's not compulsive macrame though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, the other two get human eating or... well, I forget what Beast-of-War does. I assume it's not compulsive macrame though.
I think Beast-of-War goes full kama-crazy berserker mode and does not distinguish friend from foe, where even a pissed off Ahroun spending Rage like borrowed money can pick targets and such.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Ferrinus posted:

I'm really confident in my suggestion from above, actually: you can make as many rouse checks as you want, but succeeding on a voluntary rouse check at Hunger 5 drops you into automatic frenzy and dumps a bunch of Stains on you regardless of the outcome of that frenzy.

Yeah I think you don't so much take blood to use as a pool to power disciplines, more you have to drink it to keep the beast quiet for a while. That's a different angle to older editions of Vampire.

Hillary 2024 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 24, 2020

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Hillary 2020 posted:

Yeah I think you don't so much take blood to use as a pool to power disciplines, more you have to drink it to keep the beast quiet for a while. That's a different angle to older editions of Vampire.

That would be a great angle, and I would play that game. But then why not divorce that from being your do cool things resource so that you can still regularly do cook things.

I think the thing that puts me off most about the mechanics of V5 is that it’s working with multiple tracks and costs that don’t need to be part of the same event. Or if it weren’t set up to wreck a person’s night because the dice are coming up poorly. Modern game design seems to mostly be moving away from those mechanics (at least from what I’ve seen), but that doesn’t mean it’s all bad. I just think that it works better when it’s working consistently and with clear purpose.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nessus posted:

I think Beast-of-War goes full kama-crazy berserker mode and does not distinguish friend from foe, where even a pissed off Ahroun spending Rage like borrowed money can pick targets and such.

They attack to kill and mutilate fallen foes and allies alike. I think some editions make them target allies first, or exclusively.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Is there a Discord for this other than the tradgames one?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Doing my part and manually archiving every page of every mugrim PBP

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Is there a Spooky escape discord like is fashionable for other threads? This is a thread I enjoy following and would miss many posters and their thoughts.

What a time.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
Yeah. It has been a pleasure, folks. If this is the end, I'll miss these threads.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Mage chat: Would it be appropriate for the Mind arcana to discover that a place had someone in it who experienced an intense emotion, if it had that spiritual resonance?

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Soonmot posted:

Mage chat: Would it be appropriate for the Mind arcana to discover that a place had someone in it who experienced an intense emotion, if it had that spiritual resonance?

Probably not; Resonance is more of a Prime thing (or a Spirit thing). But I'd ask an ST anyway because that sounds like a fun use of the Arcanum.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I am the ST and thought it would be fun to give my mastigos something to do along side the moros as they investigate a haunted house. I was just curious if anyone had done something similar.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Any world/CoD discords set up?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Oh, I am the ST and thought it would be fun to give my mastigos something to do along side the moros as they investigate a haunted house. I was just curious if anyone had done something similar.

I’ve given strong emotional residue as something a mage using mind sight can pick up on before. Big emotions leaving some sort of echo in the fabric of the lie seems cool to me, and if it seems cool, I tend to do it unless it’s going to just entirely break the balance for the players.

You could get some really strong, weird, and varied emotional echoes from a haunted house.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

SirKibbles posted:

There's an official CoD server but Idk how one is invited

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

SirKibbles posted:

There are several. There is the official OPP Discord server; it's not incredibly active because its community is split among other non-WoD/ChroD products, but if there is information you'll find it there first. There is ROMzombie's unofficial Chronicles of Darkness server which I don't have a link for but you can Google easily enough; I stopped posting there years ago because the admin is the picture of someone so invested in the idea of decorum that it took actual years before they began banning agitators and Nazis, but it is probably the most active place to talk about the ChroD in general. I'm one of the admins on a decent-sized server dedicated to Mage: the Awakening; we've got a fairly active community and a collated homebrew document in excess of some actual sourcebooks. There are also a few other Discords dedicated to specific lines but most of them are fairly small and not very active; one dedicated to Vampire: the Requiem is the largest and most active.

Official OPP Discord: https://discord.gg/5uckcBk
Mage: the Awakening Discord: https://discord.gg/aebSArS
Vampire: the Requiem Discord: https://discord.gg/mXMCcTM

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
Ironslave’s Mage discord is the best place for Magechat, but it’s so active it’s like a firehose.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Whatever discord you may choose to join, don't let Metapod in.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Alternately, give him a role that only allows him to post in a channel full of bots that say disparaging things about V5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
That would be ironic and appropriate.

We're living in the Final Nights WoD goons, stay safe.