Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr Christmas posted:

Quarantine scruffiness has lead to a 10000% increase of my dad and other boomers I know saying “Haw haw you know what you should do? You should get a man bun :haw:” as substitute for a joke.

As a guy with long hair, know that it does not get better. I am so tired of barely-above-caveman-level "ha ha man bun! That girl hair! You long hair, girl hair! Long hair mean you are girl ha ha!" jokes from my grandparents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah I'm growing out my hair because there's no laws and no leaders at the moment, and people react like morons. I get that certain things are *GeNdErEd* but ffs we're all aware of convention, be loving original

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I hate when people refer to gen z types as "zoomers". That doesn't sound like you're talking about a bunch of actual functioning human beings, it sounds like you're referring to a few toddlers running around your house making airplane noises.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I hate when people refer to gen z types as "zoomers". That doesn't sound like you're talking about a bunch of actual functioning human beings, it sounds like you're referring to a few toddlers running around your house making airplane noises.

Well, some of them are

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've got one. People who wait well past the last minute to change lanes then start trying to get your attention to get in front of you. Bitch you had two miles to get over, you should have done it then, like I did.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Along those lines: I've seen a strange increase in people who turn on their turn signals and just forget that they're on? I'll leave room for them for 5 minutes then hit a stop light and realize they apparently just don't hear their car clicking.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Fartington Butts posted:

Along those lines: I've seen a strange increase in people who turn on their turn signals and just forget that they're on? I'll leave room for them for 5 minutes then hit a stop light and realize they apparently just don't hear their car clicking.

The click of the turn signal has had like a 5000% drop in loudness from when I was a kid. Cars from the 70's and 80's loving CLICKED when that blinker was on like they meant it.

Cars from the 90's to now are like,
"click...click...hello? Ok, nevermind...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People not washing their hands in public washrooms doubly bothers me because jesus christ you should at least feel shamed into doing it when I can see you. We see each other regularly. How do you live with yourself?

I just realized I haven't been to a public washroom in more than two months. Upsides of pandemic life.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

DrBouvenstein posted:

The click of the turn signal has had like a 5000% drop in loudness from when I was a kid. Cars from the 70's and 80's loving CLICKED when that blinker was on like they meant it.

Cars from the 90's to now are like,
"click...click...hello? Ok, nevermind...

I think it changed more recently than that, and maybe make matters too. My current car, a 2014 model Hyundai, can't click loud enough to be heard over even moderately-low-volume music, and I've accidentally left the turn signal on a couple times because of that. My previous car, a 1997 Ford, clicked loud enough to be heard even when I was a teenager blasting loud-rear end punk rock with the windows down on the freeway.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I suspect that it may be because some cars aren't using a mechanical relay for the blinkers anymore

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I kinda miss that sound. TAK Tak TAK Tak TAK Tak

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Iron Crowned posted:

I've got one. People who wait well past the last minute to change lanes then start trying to get your attention to get in front of you. Bitch you had two miles to get over, you should have done it then, like I did.
In general, people who make their lack of route planning/awareness your problem.

Sorry, I'm not going to screech to a halt to let you in because you just now realized you need to turn. You can turn around at the next gas station or whatever like the rest of us.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

If we're on driving peeves again, I just had a flash of white hot seering rage when I popped over to the grocery store to get ingredients for gazpacho. (Cuz it is hot as balls out there and that calls for cold soup).

Waiting to turn left on the main street, there's a car wanting to turn right at the parking lot directly across. We get the green arrow, person in front of me sits there. I toot the horn just as the car in the parking lot starts turning right. Genius driver in front of me makes some gesture at me, I'm guessing annoyance. I get that they were probably letting the person turn, but a couple things!

First of all, gently caress you! That green arrow only stays that way for a few seconds.
Second, there's two lanes on the road we were turning onto! All of us could have, conceivably, turned at the same time with no problems if no one takes an extra lane. And it's a double left, so the left turners shouldn't be taking an extra lane anyway.
Thirdly, also gently caress you! You wanna be nice and let someone turn? Great! Do it when there's no one behind you and you waste no one's time but your own, and not at a light that only stays green for a few seconds! The other guy could have easily made the right after we finished turning. Traffic on the main street isn't THAT heavy.

So no, I am not sorry I honked my horn at you, person! I don't care how many rude gestures you make at me! :argh:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Any time someone is "nice" in traffic rather than just obeying right of way.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
99% of people being "nice" in traffic is unsafe(because they're encouraging everyone to ignore right of way and also making it impossible for the cars around them to know wtf they're doing), pointless(because they're holding up multiple people to help one person who'd have gotten a gap eventually anyway, and if they're NOT holding up multiple people then the other car could have just turned in behind them anyway), or both.

My least favorite is when there's a gap I've identified and am prepared to turn into before someone tries to be 'nice' by slowing down for me, instantly obliterating the gap behind them & wasting my time because I'm not about to turn in front of someone when a)I don't know what they're doing, and b)they likely now have cars whipping around them.

Just loving go, you're causing more problems then you're solving.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I just realized I haven't been to a public washroom in more than two months. Upsides of pandemic life.

I think my last time in a public bathroom was...late February? drat.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Niceholes are the loving worst. When you’re driving:Don’t be polite, be predictable.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
As a pedestrian, I have started scrupulously avoiding eye contact with any drivers when I want to cross, just in case they decide to be overly polite and let me cross when they don’t need to.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
As a pedestrian, I just want drivers to indicate even if there are no other cars around.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Every time my phone rings, I just answer it. Doesn't matter if I recognise the number or not, because I'm not an evasive child, no spook has ever jumped through the phone at me, and if it's someone I don't want to speak to I am capable of steering the call to its conclusion.

And I answer it as follows:

"Hello

[beat]

Disgusting Coward speaking"

And every single time the person on the other end goes "Ehhhh...who's that?" or "Ehhh...is that Disgusting Coward?" or "Uhhh...hello?"

You phoned me, fool. I'm the one who should be caught unawares, not you. Fuckers.

As for niceholes, there's a trend in this neck of the woods - East Scotland - of people giving up right of way at roundabouts. The whole Thing of a roundabout is "give way to cars from the right". That's it! One rule! It works really well!

But noooo, gotta have some ancient fart in a Skoda stopping dead, being confused by the procedure of "look to see what's coming, and then drive" and then flash me on to the roundabout as a way of buying themselves thinking time. So then I can't go, cause if they go and then hit me I'm at fault, and then something will be waiting on me going so I'll wave on whoever has erroneously yielded their right of way, and then they're still panicking so they wave back, and you end up with 4 idiots in a circle, engaging in dipshit sign language to try to signify that you should just. loving. go.

Last time this happened I cut the engine, switched off my lights and got out. Yelled "loving GOOOO" at the guy and he still wouldn't go. It's un loving real.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate phonecalls because they are hard to multitask through, which is easier with messages. a phonecall just eats up a block of time. i guess thats fine and on me but its still the reason i dont like them

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

i hate phonecalls because they are hard to multitask through, which is easier with messages. a phonecall just eats up a block of time. i guess thats fine and on me but its still the reason i dont like them

Phonecalls annoy me because they always want me to look something up like date of availability or a product number or something, and I need to use my phone for that and I guess it's not really a big deal but it's fussy and I've disconnected a call before.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
90% of phone calls that aren't my weekly Being A Good Son call to mom are 'we want specific information A or are reminding you of thing B' calls and would be better replaced by text messages/emails. Especially since I work an off shift so I'm likely either asleep or working when non-family members call me.

Yes, I am aware my dental appointment is coming up. You're a big chain of dental offices, surely you could set up text reminders/confirmations?

Disgusting Coward posted:

Every time my phone rings, I just answer it. Doesn't matter if I recognise the number or not, because I'm not an evasive child, no spook has ever jumped through the phone at me, and if it's someone I don't want to speak to I am capable of steering the call to its conclusion.
I hardly ever get robocalls anymore and I attribute a lot of that to the fact that I never, ever answer them. Responding to spam in any context is a good way to get put on a 'this dipshit actually responds to stuff from phone numbers/email addresses/etc they don't recognize, send more their way' list.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate random number calls because it’s someone trying to sell me something and I have anxiety and I feel bad saying no.

(But i do say no)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Last time this happened I cut the engine, switched off my lights and got out. Yelled "loving GOOOO" at the guy and he still wouldn't go. It's un loving real.

This is a wonderful image. I hope you have a thick, incomprehensible Glaswegian accent like you do in my head.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

its okay to not wash your hands after pissing if you did it without touching your dick or had your hands near your dick area

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
İm like 99% sure I've posted about this before in this very thread, but people in cars being nice ("nice") to bicyclists is a terrifying experience. People will see you stop at a stop sign and immediately slow to a crawl to to let you through. Come on, don't make me think about whether you're going to try to run me over or not if i take your bait!

A lot of cars really treat people on on bicycles like they believe we are trying to destroy American democracy

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My town has a walking/biking trail that cuts through the whole thing and intersects several streets. They put up signs in the middle of the road at every one of these intersections between the two lanes that say, and read this closely:

STOP
FOR
PEDESTRIANS
IN
CROSSWALK

Now guess how many people see these signs while coming over a hill and screech to a stop even if there's nobody around or someone is standing at the side of the crosswalk waiting for the cars to pass.

NOW guess how many idiot pedestrians assume this is what you're supposed to do and just cross without looking both ways while a car is coming at them.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

As for niceholes, there's a trend in this neck of the woods - East Scotland - of people giving up right of way at roundabouts. The whole Thing of a roundabout is "give way to cars from the right". That's it! One rule! It works really well!

HOLY FUCK has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Jan 22, 2023

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Brawnfire posted:

Phonecalls annoy me because they always want me to look something up like date of availability or a product number or something, and I need to use my phone for that and I guess it's not really a big deal but it's fussy and I've disconnected a call before.

I dealt with a lady in work who would always call and ask for a meeting to be arranged with maybe 7 other people and start naming them, assuming I'd be able to find the time for them at that point. Every time I had to stop her and just tell her to send me a list and I'll get the common times for her on a nice sheet.

Now she phones somebody else instead and life is better for me

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

People not washing their hands in public washrooms doubly bothers me because jesus christ you should at least feel shamed into doing it when I can see you. We see each other regularly. How do you live with yourself?

Speaking of public restrooms, behavior, and hand washing: What the hell is up with old fat guys and the noises they make taking a piss?

There I am, sitting on the toilet in a stall, taking a pleasant grumpy, and an old man comes panting into the bathroom. I mean they sound like they just sprinted a mile. Then they grunt, cough, groan, fart, and spit in the urinal. They make the worst noises. Noises humans just don't make. Then they wash their hands for like 2 minutes. Use 50 sheets of paper towels, then leave.

I never see them, but I hear them when I'm at work dropping a deuce. If it's that hard to piss, you really should see a doctor. Also, if you have to wash your hands for two minutes, you have a severe aiming problem.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

its okay to not wash your hands after pissing if you did it without touching your dick or had your hands near your dick area

Unless you're already naked from the waist down, that seems hard to avoid.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Unless you're already naked from the waist down, that seems hard to avoid.

Well, just so happens

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Putting a cup of coffee in any location causes my daughter to stumble towards that area. I can move it and watch her course somehow reorient to unconsciously spill it with a flailing limb.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

loving furthermore, Tim Hortons, jimmies and nonpareils are not loving interchangeable. Either pick one or provide both, but stop surprising me.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The idea that anyone in an air-conditioned government office is actually getting 8 hours of work done every day is such horseshit

I get 5 hours of good work done on better days, and maybe 3 hours on less good days, and that hasn't changed since I went from 100% office to 100% WFH 3 months ago, yet all of a sudden my boss is impressed with my work ethic. Hey jackass, I'm still loving around for most of the day, you just can't see me doing it.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

my current pet peeves are my neighbors. some are zipping around on some loud rear end gas powered scooter thing and others are setting off fireworks. i mean, fireworks are year round for my neighborhood, but
i just got home from a long and stupid day at work so now is not the god drat time

HOLY gently caress posted:

I see people do this here in California but also stop while they’re in the loving roundabout to let pedestrians/other cars past. I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to keep going once you’re actually in it?? Granted I haven’t driven in California but I can’t imagine they’d change the whole thing that makes roundabouts work.

yeah. if you have the right of way, you need to go. being polite is cool, but other people around you are going to expect you to follow the rules of the road and if you don't, you risk causing an accident

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
It pisses me off how the Fifa games have no 'be taken over by a billionaire oligarch/middle Eastern Prince' option on their career modes, so I can hog wild with Wycombe Wanderers and sign outrageous players.

One of the fifas a few years ago had a glitch which gave you infinite money, and it was great fun building up a squad of sulking mercenaries and decimating the opposition.

Instead, career mode for lower league sides is an absolute slog, with a scouting mechanic that is completely unfit for purpose (your scouts will make helpful recommendations like 'sign raheem sterling', so the only way to realistically get it done is to look up all the players online and do it that way.

To make matters worse, on this edition of fifa, the board set you financial objectives, so not only do I have a miniscule transfer budget, but they also want me to make a net £900k profit in my first transfer window, so I basically have to sell my best players else get sacked.

I guess it's realistic, but it's really not fun at all.

Wider point : all games, regardless of genre, should have cheat codes that let you do whatever the gently caress you want, and it's petty and cruel that they don't.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Restaurants where the sandwiches (burgers by far the biggest culprit) are so big that the buns can't hold them at all and they cease being finger food and become a sloppy mess. Either get bigger bread slices/buns or cut down on toppings.

Ideally the second, because sometimes it's nice to eat sides or appetizers and not just a day's worth of food on one sandwich.

Having not been to a restaurant in months, we ordered burgers delivered last night and it was like a blast from a forgotten age. I don't want a burger the size of my head you monsters. I got like a blue cheese buffalo sauce veggie burger and it tasted really good but it was too big to comfortably eat!! Like, can't even get all the toppings in my mouth at once big. WHY.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:02 on Jul 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah i like flat burgers that are easy to eat. i hate the ones that have to be held together with a loving stick