Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I went with Glendronach 12 for Father's Day because my dad loves Cardenal Mendoza brandy and this was from Spanish casks. It was a huge hit! A little harsh on the nose, very smooth on the taste. It reminded me a lot of the brandy, with less burning sensation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Enigma posted:

Aberlour A'bundadh is just over $100 here, is it really that good?

I don't usually go for non-islays, but I'm intrigued by the sherry, which is what I love about the Ardbeg Uigeadail (well that and the peat).

Aberlour A'bundadh is batch-based and has quite a bit of variance. There's a lot of other whiskies I'd grab off the shelf for $100.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I'm quite a fan of the a'bunadh, I'm not usually one for blended but it is just an excellent whisky.

Question: I'm looking to buy a present and I'm looking at the 18yo Triple Cask Macallan. What's the verdict on it? Overpriced? It's a 250 dollar bottle for me.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 22, 2020

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Enigma posted:

Aberlour A'bundadh is just over $100 here, is it really that good?

I don't usually go for non-islays, but I'm intrigued by the sherry, which is what I love about the Ardbeg Uigeadail (well that and the peat).

It's very unique and has a sort of rich spice-cake flavor. My bottle is 61% abv, which is normally way too high for me but I can drink the A'bunadh neat because the alcohol is so well hidden (my bottle of Stagg Jr has a similar abv and that's loving rough as hell for me).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

I'm quite a fan of the a'bunadh, I'm not usually one for blended but it is just an excellent whisky.
It's not a blended whisky.

quote:

Question: I'm looking to buy a present and I'm looking at the 18yo Triple Cask Macallan. What's the verdict on it? Overpriced? It's a 250 dollar bottle for me.

Absolutely. Get a GlenDronach 18yo instead.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

spankmeister posted:

It's not a blended whisky.

poo poo. Then why did I think it was? No wonder I like it then.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

spankmeister posted:

Absolutely. Get a GlenDronach 18yo instead.

Not available. Also, same price at the booze monopoly pretty much. But noted for later, thank you.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Personally I think all of the high-end/older Macallans are wildly overpriced, but you'd at least be paying less for it than it costs us here.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Imo all Macallans are overpriced, because they're either great and wildly overpriced, or they're normally or slighty expensive but mediocre

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

Personally I think all of the high-end/older Macallans are wildly overpriced, but you'd at least be paying less for it than it costs us here.

It's a funny consequence of alcohol tax rules over here, due to tax being a fixed sum based on ABV high end products some time end up cheaper than country of origin even, due to bulk deals made by the single payer national monopoly. This is particularly the case for high end wines.

Might have to go for the Macallan, I'm not seeing much available in the price range and next closest is some 30 YOs starting at 500 usd.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's a funny consequence of alcohol tax rules over here, due to tax being a fixed sum based on ABV high end products some time end up cheaper than country of origin even, due to bulk deals made by the single payer national monopoly. This is particularly the case for high end wines.

Might have to go for the Macallan, I'm not seeing much available in the price range and next closest is some 30 YOs starting at 500 usd.

I'd be happy to look at some alternatives if you can provide a link to their site. Also I'm just curious tbh.

I'm guessing you're from one of the Nordic countries?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

spankmeister posted:

I'd be happy to look at some alternatives if you can provide a link to their site. Also I'm just curious tbh.

I'm guessing you're from one of the Nordic countries?

That's very kind of you! Please go ahead, but be aware a lot may be sold out (utsolgt)

https://www.vinmonopolet.no/search?...t&currentPage=0

You guess correctly.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Imo all Macallans are overpriced, because they're either great and wildly overpriced, or they're normally or slighty expensive but mediocre

I agree completely.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Way way late but yeah the Aberlour isn't a blend. Was about $70 by me too fwiw. That probably doesnt sound like a lot but it's more than I usually spend on a single bottle.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That's very kind of you! Please go ahead, but be aware a lot may be sold out (utsolgt)

https://www.vinmonopolet.no/search?...t&currentPage=0

You guess correctly.

Between knowing Dutch, English and German, (and a few other languages but mostly those three), Norwegian isn't that hard to figure out. :)

I went around the price you had for the Macallan originally, and under. I looked at official bottlings of Scotch single malt with an age statement, and ones that looked to be available (Kan bestilles).

First of all here's an alternative to the GlenDronach I mentioned:

https://www.vinmonopolet.no/Land/Skottland/Glendronach-Parliament-21-YO/p/9924701

Glendronach 21YO. I recommended the 18 earlier and I think the 18 is still better bang for your buck, but the 21 is still cheaper than the Macallan and a much older whisky.

The reason I recommended the 18 over the 21 is that the 18 and 21 are more or less the same age. In the 2019 bottlings which you're likely to get they are both a _minimum_ of 24 years old. So it's not really worth paying the premium for the 21.
This has to do with the distillery being closed for a couple of years, you can read more about it here if you're interested: https://wordsofwhisky.com/glendronach-is-a-lot-older-than-the-label-says/

Below are some more picks.
I don't know if you want to stay at your budget or if you don't mind going under. I also don't know if you want to impress with a very old bottle. There are some very old whiskies available for Macallan 18 money. :)

Sherried speyside whisky
https://www.vinmonopolet.no/Land/Skottland/Glenfarclas-25-YO/p/5232201
https://www.vinmonopolet.no/Land/Skottland/Glenfarclas-Single-Malt-21-Years-Old/p/5286401

Sherried highland whisky
https://www.vinmonopolet.no/Land/Skottland/Glencadam-19-YO-Oloroso-Sherry-Cask-Finish/p/10401301

Whiskies with a bit more punch (island, campbeltown):
https://www.vinmonopolet.no/Land/Skottland/Springbank-Single-Malt-18-YO/p/5983701
https://www.vinmonopolet.no/Land/Skottland/Highland-Park-21-YO/p/11524801
https://www.vinmonopolet.no/Land/Skottland/Highland-Park-18-YO/p/3339801
https://www.vinmonopolet.no/Land/Skottland/Glen-Scotia-15-YO-Single-Malt/p/10506801

Not sherry bombs but more floral, grassy, cereal notes:
https://www.vinmonopolet.no/Land/Skottland/Deanston-18-YO/p/10827601

e: a couple are ikke available, whoops. Anyway you might get the idea!

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 23, 2020

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Wow, holy poo poo, thank you very much. Gonna put several of these on my general buy list, but these are some great suggestions for what I need. Deeply appreciate the advice!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i have really specific tastes for whisky and am looking for any recommendations

enjoy:
Aberlour 10y
Balvenie Caribbean Cask
Balvenie Doublewood 12y
Jura Journey
Jura Seven Wood
Strathisla 12y
Tamdhu 10y

can't stand:
Aberlour 12y
Dalmore 12y
Glenlivet Captain's Reserve
Laphroaig
Oban 14y
Tamnavulin Double Cask
Jura 10y

anyone have a similar palate? if it isn't obvious not a big fan of smokey/peaty whiskys

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pretty much any glendronach. Yamazakis. Redbreasts.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
In addition to the ones above:
AnCnoc
Balblair
Glenrothes
Glengoyne
BenRiach
Bunnahabhain
Compass Box (blender)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

Pretty much any glendronach. Yamazakis. Redbreasts.

TobinHatesYou posted:

In addition to the ones above:
AnCnoc
Balblair
Glenrothes
Glengoyne
BenRiach
Bunnahabhain
Compass Box (blender)
already tried glengoyne, it's alright but not something i'd drink regularly. i'll give those a try thanks for the suggestions

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I've got a silly question. Before America and American bourbon casks what was Scotch typically aged in? Anyone know how bourbon casks became so prevalent?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Virgin oak?
Also because they’re cheap as hell and there’s a ton of them and by law they have to be replaced every so often or something.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Bape Culture posted:

Virgin oak?
Also because they’re cheap as hell and there’s a ton of them and by law they have to be replaced every so often or something.

No. Virgin oak imparts too much wood spice / vanillin for the most part. Some scotch distilleries are using virgin oak for secondary maturation / cask enhancement, but only a few dare to age their scotch fully in virgin oak.

Scotch used to be primarily aged in old sherry butts, which would be refilled over and over and over again until the staves have literally nothing left to give to the aging process.

Bourbon can only be aged in new charred white oak barrels. After that they are sold or otherwise repurposed.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 24, 2020

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

TobinHatesYou posted:

No. Virgin oak imparts too much wood spice / vanillin for the most part. Some scotch distilleries are using virgin oak for secondary maturation / cask enhancement, but only a few dare to age their scotch fully in virgin oak.

Scotch used to be primarily aged in old sherry butts, which would be refilled over and over and over again until the staves have literally nothing left to give to the aging process.

Bourbon can only be aged in new charred white oak barrels. After that they are sold or otherwise repurposed.

So the move to bourbon casks was mostly just cheapness / convenience?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

So the move to bourbon casks was mostly just cheapness / convenience?

Yes. And only old ladies drink sherry anymore.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

TobinHatesYou posted:

As a fan of extra aged Olorroso I hope this opinion continues (looks back when bourbon was an old man's drink).

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Ha, I don't believe that I've ever had Sherry on it's own, but Aberlour and the like are my jam.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I recently had some "expensive" sherrys ($80 a bottle) and holy poo poo, it soooooo loving good. It's really an acquired taste. Old people probably like it cause their taste buds don't work anymore.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I keep a small bottle of decent oloroso and PX kicking around as a smell and taste reference.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've had this small bottle of Johnnie Walker Black on my desk that I threw in as an add-on to get enough money for a delivery once. I didn't like it, but today I found out that it is a blend of Talisker 10, Lagavulin 16, and some other, sweeter scotch and that was enough for me to try it again because I've been debating picking up a peaty scotch but they're $50-80 where I live. I've never tasted Talisker/Lagavulin, but I can taste the flavors mentioned in reviews of them now that I know what to look for. I need something to drink tomorrow while I watch the forums burn, so I might order one of the two now that I'm more aware of the flavors.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 25, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

LifeLynx posted:

I've had this small bottle of Johnnie Walker Black on my desk that I threw in as an add-on to get enough money for a delivery once. I didn't like it, but today I found out that it is a blend of Talisker 10, Lagavulin 16, and some other, sweeter scotch and that was enough for me to try it again because I've been debating picking up a peaty scotch but they're $50-80 where I live. I've never tasted Talisker/Lagavulin, but I can taste the flavors mentioned in reviews of them now that I know what to look for. I need something to drink tomorrow while I watch the forums burn, so I might order one of the two now that I'm more aware of the flavors.

Johnnie Walker is a lot of things, historically even including whiskies from distilleries outside the Diageo portfolio. No doubt there is some Talisker and Lagavulin in there, but I suspect most of the peat comes from Caol Ila. The sweetness comes from a bit of everything...Cardhu, Mortlach, Dailuaine, etc. and of course a large amount of grain whisky. There's probably no fewer than 30 different whiskies in the recipe.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Sherry Casks became difficult to get in the late 1930's. Stuff happened in Spain initially and subsequently the rest of Europe and before you know it, there's lots of stuff being shipped to the UK from the US.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

The history of spirits is sometimes more interesting than the bottle itself.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

FYI there is a Discord channel now... https://discord.gg/Cr5VCE

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

TobinHatesYou posted:

Nowadays most of the "sherry casks" used to age Scotch aren't even really used to age sherry in the traditional season. They're essentially seasoned with (garbage) sherry that is ultimately used to make vinegar. The casks themselves are created specifically as a product for aging spirits.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Nowadays most of the "sherry casks" used to age Scotch aren't even really used to age sherry in the traditional season. They're essentially seasoned with (garbage) sherry that is ultimately used to make vinegar. The casks themselves are created specifically as a product for aging spirits.

Yeah, I think Edrington (owners of Macallan & Highland Park among others) have bought a/some Sherry Bodega(s) in Spain to secure 'proper' stocks. I wouldn't be surprised if others are doing the same. Remember though that they re-use casks a lot so a 3rd fill Sherry Butt might have originated from the 60's or 70's. I'm sure there's a fair amount of decent casks in the system. I also get the impression that the fashion is tending towards sherried whiskies now as opposed to a decade ago where ULTRA PEAT was the thing, so hopefully that helps the cause too.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

biglads posted:

Yeah, I think Edrington (owners of Macallan & Highland Park among others) have bought a/some Sherry Bodega(s) in Spain to secure 'proper' stocks. I wouldn't be surprised if others are doing the same. Remember though that they re-use casks a lot so a 3rd fill Sherry Butt might have originated from the 60's or 70's. I'm sure there's a fair amount of decent casks in the system. I also get the impression that the fashion is tending towards sherried whiskies now as opposed to a decade ago where ULTRA PEAT was the thing, so hopefully that helps the cause too.

From what I recall hearing from a Edrington rep a while back, most of the sherry they make now ends up getting turned into vinegar rather than getting used for drinking on its own

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Deceptive Thinker posted:

From what I recall hearing from a Edrington rep a while back, most of the sherry they make now ends up getting turned into vinegar rather than getting used for drinking on its own

I guess as has already been said, no-one drinks Sherry anymore. It's just too overcloyingly sweet to my tastebuds, I have the same trouble with some bourbons. I'm partial to occasional drop of Port though. Whisky from Port Pipes can be really good.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

biglads posted:

I guess as has already been said, no-one drinks Sherry anymore. It's just too overcloyingly sweet to my tastebuds, I have the same trouble with some bourbons. I'm partial to occasional drop of Port though. Whisky from Port Pipes can be really good.

That's because you drink the wrong types of sherry. Get yourself a nice Amontillado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

That's because you drink the wrong types of sherry. Get yourself a nice Amontillado.

This. Sherries range from sugar syrup (PX) to bone dry (Fino, Olorosso). Cheap sherries, say cream, blend the two. I very much enjoy the drier styles, amontillado and olorosso often have age statements way higher than scotch for so much less money.

Whiskey related, beam seems to be banking on high age statement Knob Creek. $60 for a 12 year old, $100 for 15. Guess it was a few good years of store select 14 YO for $45.