Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
it's ok I checked and ProBoards is still up and running. anyone remember ProBoards. when you were 13 in 2004 and wanted to feel like a bigshot forums administrator with five of your friends who were all also admins who you all knew from another perfectly fine forum on the same topic, those were the days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So what did LF stand for? I've seen it referenced many times over the years and still have no idea what the hell it is.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Laissez-faire

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

Sorry, I don't think Covid quite understands the situation - white people got bored of the lockdown. So Covid has to be over now.
Is it possible to speak to the manager?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So what did LF stand for? I've seen it referenced many times over the years and still have no idea what the hell it is.
laissez's faire, an elaborate trap for libertarians.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I just searched Audible for The Player of Games. The third result was this :barf:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I think it was actually Laissez's Fair?

It was made around the 2008 US election for people to post about ridiculous long shot candidates like Ron Paul and Barack Obama.

Doom breed
Mar 22, 2012
Came to SA for the video games info but stayed for the Correct takes in this thread.

Great place to get news, I hope it can continue in some form (under new ownership?).

At least the pod will continue, right? :sweatdrop:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Bobstar posted:

I just searched Audible for The Player of Games. The third result was this :barf:

The Player of Shames

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
LF was basically C-SPAM in the old days, politics forum with lighter rules than D&D. iirc it got shut down because lowtax kept getting complaints from the feds about death threats to the president

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Ms Adequate posted:

I have to say, whilst there's a great deal about SA I've enjoyed over the years, the majority of that has come from the forums, and the remainder on things like the frontpage or raids on Habbo or whatever has never involved Lowtax in any capacity whatsoever.

We don't need him and never have, he just lucked into being the dipshit who made the place.

down with the parasite class, reclaim the stolen surplus value of our posts :commissar:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
the country shut itself down and the government were forced, kicking and screaming, to pretend it was their idea. They were forced to run a furlough scheme by BoE and the civil service to avoid the UK becoming a failed state overnight. They ordered the release of patients into care homes, deliberately and maliciously killing tens of thousands of people. They had their propaganda outlets running 24/7 to argue maybe viruses aren't real. They ignored every last bit of advice they received, lying through their teeth, fired and ratfucked everyone that dared call them out, and gave absolutely no shits when caught over and over again not following basic guidelines they insisted everyone else follow.

You all know all this but let's be clear, nobody got bored of trying to save lives. The country got bored of thinking their government gives the slightest gently caress if they live or die, got bored of knowing with absolute certainty that whatever they did would be utterly sabotaged, and got bored of being lied to by psychopaths who can't even pretend to show remorse.

All of which ties into to the total collapse of faith in news media and governance. Can any of you really say you think it's worth trying to instill any kind of social discipline in this context? when the next barrage of deaths comes, we'll see if the government wants to add starving the country to insulting it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobstar posted:

I want a book that teaches me all this but also how to become a Culture GSV

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
hooooooooo boy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

I want a book that teaches me all this but also how to become a Culture GSV
Mistake Not My Giant Hat and Current State Of Peacocking and Pervishness For Any Actual Personality.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think it was actually Laissez's Fair?
This is correct. It was shitpost central to take pressure off D&D, started off with lots of ironyposting and ended up with a pretty strong hard left core. I miss Fish Steers a Dhow (though I've lost track of all the namechanges).

Speaking of which, sorry for banning whomever you were!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Guavanaut posted:

Mistake Not My Giant Hat and Current State Of Peacocking and Pervishness For Any Actual Personality.

Holy poo poo :gowron:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think the thing that pisses me off the most is the advisers acting like absolutely everyone is hearing something other than "pandemic's over go home outside", like we're loving morons who can't see the message the politicians are trying to push or that the general public are reading into the advice

e: like whitty or vallance saying "well obv poo poo will go south if people don't follow the rules" whilst obviously knowing that people won't follow the rules

XMNN fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 24, 2020

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
Long time lurker, may have posted once or twice, but I hope control of these forums goes to someone else otherwise I will miss this place. I think I registered originally to read one of Guavanaut's X-COM LP's but thanks to the many UKMT's I am now a filthy lefty :3:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Cefte posted:

This is correct. It was shitpost central to take pressure off D&D, started off with lots of ironyposting and ended up with a pretty strong hard left core. I miss Fish Steers a Dhow (though I've lost track of all the namechanges).

I can't remember why you did it but it was definitely deserved. I was mostly sour about not being able to re-reg my old account.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1275866565230186496?s=20

JessFlaps in 'wrong again' tweet.

First one in Hansard is 1918!
Corbyn's is in 2008.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

drat, that sure is a second wave.

Assuming we're not included in the EU there? Would be nice to see our line on the same scale.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

XMNN posted:

I think the thing that pisses me off the most is the advisers acting like absolutely everyone is hearing something other than "pandemic's over go home outside", like we're loving morons who can't see the message the politicians are trying to push or that the general public are reading into the advice

What's odd is that adverts on the channels I mostly watch (CBS /Blaze/PBS America) on tv are still pushing 'stay at home unless you absolutely have to go out' messages no ifs or buts or bubbles.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Cefte posted:

Man it has been some time since I saw you posting Cefte. Also miss FSAD. And shakeybeef was good fun before he went off the rails.

Sketh
Jun 7, 2008
I'll add my voice to the chorus of lurkers coming out of the woodwork to show my appreciation for UKMT. Was kind of a lovely lib with little class consciousness until the referendum and subsequently the election when I really started reading this thread. It was a little island of good opinions in in a complete sea of poo poo that was the election at large and was no small part of helping guide me towards the godless commie I find myself today. Hopefully UKMT lives on in some format so I can subject you all to my garbage posts.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If we're talking about Other Forums, what happened to that music forum that had its own Bizarro UKMT?

Filboid Studge posted:

I’ve been On Here for probably 15 years, and I will miss it if it goes. I hope Lowtax can be safely ejected.
get on my level

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

at least most of them are going to be Trump supporters I guess?

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

TACD posted:

If we're talking about Other Forums, what happened to that music forum that had its own Bizarro UKMT?
get on my level

Everytime I want to wave my regdate around, you appear!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Gonzo McFee posted:

You ever just look back and laugh at the stuff you forgot ever happened even though it should be forever in your mind?

Mind when Norman Tebbit attacked a child for being Chinese?
i just found out that former tory mp and racist shithead Terry Dicks died a few days ago, the Graun obituary opens with

'Every generation of parliamentarians produces its range of eccentric individuals and the former Conservative MP Terry Dicks, who has died aged 83, was certainly in that bracket during his tenure at the House of Commons in the 1980s and 90s. Dicks made a speciality of daring to speak his mind, and the shudders of distaste that habitually resulted, particularly among the more pompous of his party colleagues, served only to reinforce his satisfaction that he had achieved precisely the reaction he had hoped to secure.'

goes on to say

'The former clerk of the House of Commons, Robert Rogers (now Lord Lisvane), elegantly suggested in his published parliamentary miscellany, Who Goes Home, that Dicks shared with the singer Tom Lehrer the circumstance of “having a muse unfettered by considerations of taste”.'

and only about paragraph twelve do they briefly mention the thing he was most famous for:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

If this the end of SA, I just want to say it's been an honour and a privilege, goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nzy1cfnKh4

(I know it's cheesy, dammit, but it's apropos).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Apraxin posted:

i just found out that former tory mp and racist shithead Terry Dicks died a few days ago, the Graun obituary opens with
Would it have been that big a breach of :decorum: to make the entire obituary a picture of him in the morgue with the headline "A Bag of Dicks"?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
If this is the end - it's been awesome, and D&D has really helped harden my political views and outlook on life. (Doesn't hurt when family friends were labour councillors too of course...)

Hopefully these dead gay comedy forums will get wrested from the hands of the wifebeater

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

TACD posted:

Drowned in Sound, they still exist - basically a ukmt sized community spread across a whole forum. I posted there for a bit then got bored, think Rarity and a couple of others stayed a while.

E: also didn't Azza Bamboo come from there?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Why are so many chill posters only coming out of the woodwork now :(

You should have all shitposted like there was no tomorrow!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Some utterly astoundingly low case numbers been announced this week, below 1000 every day so far and todays announcement was 652. Testing numbers are holding up so it's unlikely to be anything with that. Deaths are still crawling down but that's reasonable as they lag. Is it possible that the virus has nearly finished tearing its way through the vulnerable communities like care homes and has very little presence outside of them?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Maugrim posted:

Drowned in Sound, they still exist - basically a ukmt sized community spread across a whole forum. I posted there for a bit then got bored, think Rarity and a couple of others stayed a while.

E: also didn't Azza Bamboo come from there?

gh0stpinballa definitely did

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Does this still include the UK?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Pistol_Pete posted:

Why are so many chill posters only coming out of the woodwork now :(

You should have all shitposted like there was no tomorrow!
For real, take it from someone who mostly only lurked for the first ten years of being here - it's easier than you think to Just Post. But yeah if this place goes down, I lose the only place I can talk about UK politics without constantly screaming. Will migrate to the Discord I guess, but hope it doesn't come to that.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Thanks for being a non-poo poo corner of the internet over the years UKMT. I definitely would be been a centrist melt without it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

:bisonyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1275866565230186496?s=20

JessFlaps in 'wrong again' tweet.

First one in Hansard is 1918!
Corbyn's is in 2008.

She blocked me and I have no idea why