Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/24/faction-focus-astra-militarumgw-homepage-post-4fw-homepage-post-4/

And it seems like the IG faction focus finally deals with what morale does in 9th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Lets mathhammer this out. I've got 30 Termagants brought in by a Trygon Prime, and on the enemy shooting phase the Trygon and 10 Gants get taken out.

In 8th, I'm losing anywhere from 6 (11-5) to 12 (17-5) units. Which hurts like hell off of fairly negligible casualties.

In 9th, I have a 1/6th chance of passing the roll. But let's say I fail. Now I lose a model, then have a 1/6 chance per model of losing another. That's somewhere around 4-5 models, on average. Its a lot less swingy than 8E morale, and a lot less harsh on a big ol' horde.

Still not sure how much impact it'll have on MSU on an average. Though now even elite armies need to fear the wrath of a nat 1.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Huh. ok.

Less outright punishing at the high end of wounds lost. Potentially way more punishing if you failed a morale test at the bare minimum.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Pretty much. If I only lost one Gant in 8th, I'd fail on a 5 or 6, and lose 1 to 2 models. Barely a rounding error.

In 9th, I still only fail 1/3rd of the time. But when I do I lose about 5-6 more models as these idiot bugs scatter in a panic.

Its also still very punishing if you lose a lot of units at once ane cross that half size threshold, though not as much as in 8th.

In 8th, 15 casualties = 16-5 to 21-5. My whole squad wipes if I hit a 5 or 6, and if I don't the survivors can't really get much done at 1-4 models left.

In 9th, the 1/6 chance to shake it off is still there, but if I fail the guaranteed flee takes me below half. 4-5 more models are going to break, but that still leaves me with 9-10 left. That isn't much. But I can work with it.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 24, 2020

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Tyranids are Synapse and immune to morale in Synapse range you should pick a scenario that might actually happen.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Strobe posted:

Tyranids are Synapse and immune to morale in Synapse range you should pick a scenario that might actually happen.

"I've got 30 Termagants brought in by a Trygon Prime, and on the enemy shooting phase the Trygon and 10 Gants get taken out."

Risks of going in on a Deep Strike, but boy are the mass of Devilgant shots and the Distraction Carnifex babysitter worth it. If the example's that immersion breaking for you, though, replace with literally any 30 strong unit taking 10 casualties, because I don't think there's a single leadership score big enough to pass after 10 casualties and combat attrition is entirely based on unit number.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 24, 2020

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Alright, amending my response to "pick a not-lovely combo" because :lol: at spending 8 points a gant in the first place let alone 30 of them with no Synapse.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Corrode posted:

pm me if you're cool

Hey corrode. Might I get an invite to that 40k discord?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Fuuuuck this

Join the discord. Also lots of goons in Tide of Traitors if you don't mind FB.

e. Also be sure to answer the questions, or at least post that you're a goon so we know who you are.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 24, 2020

Kyari
Jun 16, 2007
As a more recent lurker/barely poster I'm going to miss this. :(

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.
Wait goonhammer has a forums? I don't see it ...

Jay-Roden
Jul 22, 2018

My leg is hungry.

Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Gameko posted:

Same please.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I really like the new moral rule. I see two strategic changes:

First, it incentivizes behaviour other than concentrating a enemy unit down just to the point that it's doomed by the morale phase (subject to a once per phase stratagem). Decoupling the damage already suffered by a unit from the damage it suffers via moral creates a reason to apply damage both:
-broadly, as plink damage forces more moral tests resulting in potentially significant casualties, and
-narrowly, as even a unit that took catastrophic damage passes the moral check on a 1 - so stop shooting it at your peril.

Second, negative leadership modifiers will operate quite differently. Currently, they are a straight addition to the command roll, causing an extra models to be removed when a test is failed. Now, they increase the likelihood of a failed test, with an unpredictable end result. It is not strictly better than before, but it's likely to be more intimidating because of the unpredictable results of a failed moral test. Which is fitting.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Gameko posted:

saaaaame

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

The Bee posted:

"I've got 30 Termagants brought in by a Trygon Prime, and on the enemy shooting phase the Trygon and 10 Gants get taken out."

Risks of going in on a Deep Strike, but boy are the mass of Devilgant shots and the Distraction Carnifex babysitter worth it. If the example's that immersion breaking for you, though, replace with literally any 30 strong unit taking 10 casualties, because I don't think there's a single leadership score big enough to pass after 10 casualties and combat attrition is entirely based on unit number.

Orks! At ten Boyz down, they still have a Ld of 20 thanks to mob rule and cannot fail.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

JackMann posted:

Orks! At ten Boyz down, they still have a Ld of 20 thanks to mob rule and cannot fail.

Oi! Good finking, boss! And even if them 'umies cut more of us down, there's a good and proppa mob of Boyz behind to keep us going.

Seems like it takes exactly 13 dead Boyz to get a 30 strong mob sweating, assuming it doesn't have another source of Mob Rule. And even then, they only fail on a 5 or 7.

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

Deified Data posted:

Fuuuuck this

e. Also be sure to answer the questions, or at least post that you're a goon so we know who you are.

Thanks for this link. It's really hard to find hobby discussion that isn't awful. I hope I can join :shobon:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

a witch posted:

Thanks for this link. It's really hard to find hobby discussion that isn't awful. I hope I can join :shobon:

For sure - just give at least a cursory answer to the couple of q's and mention you're a goon and you're guaranteed :)

e. got you

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
But will this finally make the ld adjusting relics good? Probably not! But the new morale rules still seem like a good change. The loss of 1 + (1/6) of the unit theoretically punishes smaller squad sizes (since you build up more losses through that constant factor), but in practice my 5 man squads usually get wiped out before the morale roll (or can only fail a roll when there’s a single model left)

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Corrode posted:

pm me if you're cool

Can I get an invite?

Eschatos fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 25, 2020

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Deified Data posted:

For sure - just give at least a cursory answer to the couple of q's and mention you're a goon and you're guaranteed :)

e. got you

Just sent my request in too. Thanks a ton for this, by the way!

As for leadership reducing gear, I wonder if now it might have more granularity. Maybe now it increases the numbers of models that flee, or makes it so instead of fleeing on 1s they flee on 2s.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 24, 2020

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
The new morale mechanic sucks imo. It adds an extra roll, and further complicates it by using the half-strength modifier. Like first you roll to see if you fail, possibly apply stratagems/abilities before and after this roll. On failure, a model runs, then you roll attrition and see how many runs, with possibly a -1 and then remove models, possibly play more/additional stratagems/use abilities. Like, keep overwatch and get rid of this poo poo.

I guess it's good for marines and high leadership factions, because they never fail morale anyway. The only thing I like about it is that it stops easy morale wiping of bigger blobs.

It's also a little weird that they used 'splash damage', arguably the worst designed stratagem from GG to illustrate guard??? Don't get me wrong, it's pretty good, but it's also pretty dumb that flame-tanks become better against things in defensive positions, than things out in the open (kill team has that annoyance too, where you're hoping they'll put a guy in cover so you can get your injury roll modifier).

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 24, 2020

insertdumbnamehere
Jan 1, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Fuuuuck this

I only lurk here, but I did send a join request.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Finally got around to painting Maugan Ra.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Just post the discord link in the thread? It’s gonna get asked for a bunch. Mods in other sub forums have given their blessing for posting discord links.

Also send me the link pls

TURGID TOMFOOLERY fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 24, 2020

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
oops I accidentally collected just under 3000 pts of death guard when all I wanted was a kill team

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Can I get a discord invite too :)

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Geisladisk posted:

Same please

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Same

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

no

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
drat.

Just looking for a hobby space that doesn't shelter problematic people.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

drat.

Just looking for a hobby space that doesn't shelter problematic people.

I'm sorry you had to leave 30k slack.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Jesus all I wanted was Corrode to reply so it could have actually been a joke. Do you want to go there.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Revelation 2-13 posted:

The new morale mechanic sucks imo. It adds an extra roll, and further complicates it by using the half-strength modifier. Like first you roll to see if you fail, possibly apply stratagems/abilities before and after this roll. On failure, a model runs, then you roll attrition and see how many runs, with possibly a -1 and then remove models, possibly play more/additional stratagems/use abilities. Like, keep overwatch and get rid of this poo poo.

I guess it's good for marines and high leadership factions, because they never fail morale anyway. The only thing I like about it is that it stops easy morale wiping of bigger blobs.

It's also a little weird that they used 'splash damage', arguably the worst designed stratagem from GG to illustrate guard??? Don't get me wrong, it's pretty good, but it's also pretty dumb that flame-tanks become better against things in defensive positions, than things out in the open (kill team has that annoyance too, where you're hoping they'll put a guy in cover so you can get your injury roll modifier).

I mean in splash damage I suppose the logic is if you were standing in a massive open car park I'd squirt liquid fuel in your direction while it burns and if you're in its way you get burned, but if you're holed up in a bunker or a hole i don't need to hit you i just fire at the hole as the fire will hit you anyway.

Honestly not really fully sure if that's how flamethrowers work in practice having never fired one, but I can see the logic.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I too would love an invite to the discord.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So looking over the Guard spotlight, I note with interest that it appears that Blast weapons work per die, not per weapon since he talks about Wyverns getting 24 shots against a horde!

This is a lot better than how I thought it worked, and makes the ACs on Helverins terrifying against units as small as six!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Geisladisk posted:

If it's separate from the big TGD one I want one of these thank youo

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
New morale rules seem weird? Always thought the problem was that there were too many ways to avoid or plain not care about morale tests, not that failure was too weak/strong.

It's also done nothing to mitigate the most annoying part of playing 8th in casual games, making sure your opponent is tracking which models are dying from which squad each turn AND introduced another set of dice rolls.

Weird.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
So I've been bored and wanted to start doing some painting. I'm not hyper competitive but if I go to local events at some point I don't want to get absolutely slaughtered. I picked up the space wolves pack and start collecting space wolves because I figured it would give a bunch of versatility and wolf bits to use on intercessors or whatever. I know that with indomintus/9th coming a ton of change is going to happen, but...

Is the space wolf reddit pretty much right in saying that the 20 space wolf blank slate dudes (that you can build as grey wolves, hunters, etc) are basically totally worthless? Like maybe I could mod them into runepriests or something?

I know that intercessors are the new hotness, but surely I can do something cool with them? I don't want to go through the hassle of returns, but at the same time don't want to have bought two boxes that are totally worthless, and the space wolves forum is downer as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Just post the discord link in the thread? It’s gonna get asked for a bunch. Mods in other sub forums have given their blessing for posting discord links.

Also send me the link pls

No cause kiwifarms is trying to infiltrate all the discords so don't post them publically