Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

joat mon posted:

I'm being a jerk. I should go to bed.

I agree, you're being a quick, sharp, sudden movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace, you

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
Just guys squatting garages
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the criminals trashing homes rent-free

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Zero VGS posted:

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
Just guys squatting garages
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the criminals trashing homes rent-free

beautiful

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Stuntman posted:

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

For the 3rd time.

The story has changed however to "No I dind't get hit.. I slipped and fell because I had sweaty feet because I am bi-polar and my gram gram died" so it probably didn't' happen.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Felony Uttering

today I learned that this linguistic absurdity is indeed a legal concept

gosh

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Does someone want to explain Felony Uttering, preferably with a bad analogy?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Outrail posted:

Does someone want to explain Felony Uttering, preferably with a bad analogy?

By presenting false credentials from John Hopkins to work at St. Sebastian's Medical Center, Billy Quizboy committed the offense of uttering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2tuO1PV2GE

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Evidence is evidence. It doesn’t literally get measured on the scales of justice with other evidence. “Oh that testimony is 25.7 grams of evidence, but this document is 29 grams.”

If the jury doesn’t believe anyone who testified for one side, they might say your single shred of circumstantial evidence is enough. Or maybe they think you were well over clear and convincing, but that stupid redneck sign is what they need to get to beyond a reasonable doubt. Or it could be that they totally disregard the sign and everything else because they don’t like you or your client. And every jury weighs evidence differently.

watched an attorney win a DV case for defendant because he successfully argued that the carpet in the house the defendant allegedly used to suffocate the woman wasn't thick enough to suffocate someone

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

wikipedia says basically even if you didn't make the forgery, if you pass off the forgery knowing it's a forgery, that's uttering. Nevermind that the word 'uttering' in normal English just means to say something out loud. Legal vocabulary is a different language.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

wikipedia says basically even if you didn't make the forgery, if you pass off the forgery knowing it's a forgery, that's uttering. Nevermind that the word 'uttering' in normal English just means to say something out loud. Legal vocabulary is a different language.

Law retains some word usages that normal English has dropped. Compare normal English release which has both the "let go/let out" and "publish" senses.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Sounds like utter nonsense to me

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

tater_salad posted:

For the 3rd time.

The story has changed however to "No I dind't get hit.. I slipped and fell because I had sweaty feet because I am bi-polar and my gram gram died" so it probably didn't' happen.

I need to respond to this because you are misinformed and everyone needs to know about Lowtax being a wife beater. Read the forum announcement on the top of every sub-forum right now (https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1). The mods are in contact with Logan, and she absolutely was hit by Lowtax. There is also the fact that both of his ex-wives have filed police reports for domestic abuse against him in the past. Lowtax is a wife beater. Do with that information what you will.

vvvvvv EDIT: I may have, haha. poo poo's moving fast, crazy times.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 24, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think you didn't notice the bitter sarcasm in tater-salad's post

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

So here's an actual hypothetical. I know anyone can sue anyone for any reason if they can pay. Has any lawyer done a GoFundMe or patreon to cover the expense of just annoying the poo poo out of someone? Like a reverse class action?

Thinking one of you could buy the dip on lowtaxes patreon.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!
What you're describing sounds like evidence of filing a frivolous suit.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

honda whisperer posted:

So here's an actual hypothetical. I know anyone can sue anyone for any reason if they can pay. Has any lawyer done a GoFundMe or patreon to cover the expense of just annoying the poo poo out of someone? Like a reverse class action?

I mean, there's something called 'SLAPP' suits which is basically when a rich individual files nuisance lawsuits to harass some poor shmuck.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

honda whisperer posted:

Filing lawsuits for the purpose of harassment can get both the attorney and client sanctioned. Normally that's hard to do... but if you have a GoFundMe out there that says "donate to harass" that's going to be Exhibit A in the sanctions memo.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mr. Nice! posted:

By presenting false credentials from John Hopkins to work at St. Sebastian's Medical Center, Billy Quizboy committed the offense of uttering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2tuO1PV2GE
I feel that any credential that references John Hopkins is false.

It's Johns Hopkins.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dik Hz posted:

I feel that any credential that references John Hopkins is false.

It's Johns Hopkins.

That's what I get for quoting the video.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kalman posted:

Filing lawsuits for the purpose of harassment can get both the attorney and client sanctioned. Normally that's hard to do... but if you have a GoFundMe out there that says "donate to harass" that's going to be Exhibit A in the sanctions memo.

For example, see this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898015

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

honda whisperer posted:

Google "Vexatious Litigant"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lawyers can lose their license for doing that kind of poo poo.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

blarzgh posted:

Google "Vexatious Litigant"

All I'm getting is hits for Peter Thiel for some reason

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

So say you don't call it "GoFundMe to harass x"

Say you call it "GoFundMe to sue x for good and solid reasons"

Afaik (which isn't much) the options are have enough money, have a case so good it's worth doing for a percentage if you win, or have something like the ACLU.

Assume it's legit. Reading this thread has taught me about blood from a stone. That if the expense isn't a fraction of the possible gain to just walk.

Harass was the wrong term to use. Say sue with good reason but no hope of recovering the expense.

Edit: scouts honor I'm just curious.

honda whisperer fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 25, 2020

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Uh so it sounds like you're just hypothetically asking if you can crowdsource funds to pay a lawyer to bring a meritorious claim against someone without assets to pay?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Let's create a security whose dividends are solely based on damages recovered from Devin Nunes, then open it to investors, both foreign and domestic.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, here’s an actual real legal question:

Hypothetically, bourbon, or scotch?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Scotch.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Okay, here’s an actual real legal question:

Hypothetically, bourbon, or scotch?

Por que no los dos?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Furthermore, for those that choose the correct answer: islay, or speyside?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Porter.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, just the actual lawyers please, sheesh.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Bad Munki posted:

Furthermore, for those that choose the correct answer: islay, or speyside?
Speyside is great until it gets too peaty and you wake up the next morning feeling like you huffed a cat's rear end in a top hat.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Cognac

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Dik Hz posted:

Speyside is great until it gets too peaty and you wake up the next morning feeling like you huffed a cat's rear end in a top hat.

But speyside isn't supposed to be peaty...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Topical: Could admins/mods/posters somehow legally wrest control from taxman?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Nonexistence posted:

Uh so it sounds like you're just hypothetically asking if you can crowdsource funds to pay a lawyer to bring a meritorious claim against someone without assets to pay?

Yes and no.

I guess my question is has anyone crowdsourced a legal battle against a specific person? If not could it work or does it break some rule.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

honda whisperer posted:

Yes and no.

I guess my question is has anyone crowdsourced a legal battle against a specific person? If not could it work or does it break some rule.

Yes. I quoted one about. An anime voice actor and creep got called out by some victims. His rabid fanbase dumped half a million into a gofundme that he used to try to sue them into silence. I linked the thread a post or two ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

honda whisperer posted:

Yes and no.

If it’s a meritorious claim and the funding is provided to pursue that claim it’s litigation funding and it’s legal.

If it’s a bad but not frivolous claim and the funding is to pursue that claim, it’s also legal but you run some risks on attorney’s fees depending on how bad the claim is.

If the funding is provided to pursue any claim regardless of merit, it’s vexatious litigation (and in some jurisdictions may also be a SLAPP suit) and it’ll get you sanctioned.