Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

So once again someone in discord says something, and once again my brain goes places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Bruceski posted:

FF has a whole bunch of great music but something about Big Bridge just grabs you.

It's got that same energy as the solstice opening theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_gObHt1uZA) where you get the feeling that the composer put every ounce of soul he's got into the drat song.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Oh hey, we're talking about Battle at the Big Bridge? Cool, cool, I'm just gonna leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBGRnWGJzPw

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Arzaac posted:

It's got that same energy as the solstice opening theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_gObHt1uZA) where you get the feeling that the composer put every ounce of soul he's got into the drat song.

Also see: Every other song by Tim Follin.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

apophenium posted:

I'll donate $2 for every victory with Bartz named ACAB, BLM, George, or any related name, up to $100. Let's have fun and help people!

Kyrosiris posted:

Additionally, I will also donate $1 per relevant name that completes a run, per apophenium's toxx, up to a maximum of $50.

I really should not have won this fight. Almagest should've wiped my whole party but Lenna shielded both, and my Rapid Fires just happened to work out that the last two forms died at almost the exact same time.

Kyrosiris posted:

So I'm :toxx:ing a $5 donation (up to $50) for the first ten people who finish their fiesta with two fuckin' Ragnaroks. Get the first from Shinryu, get the second from stealing it from Neo-Exdeath, and then take a picture during the NED fight of either both equipped or both in your item list to count.

Don't know if this is still going but:

Also I'm going for this one:

ultrafilter posted:

Same :toxx: as last year. Use all twenty regular jobs and I'll donate $20 plus your job fair expenses (up to the total price of one of each regular job). Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon. There is no requirement to do this in exactly five runs, but more than that is a lot of FFV.

But my first run was an Advance run, so since I'm gonna have to do at least six runs anyway I figure I might as well do all three Advance jobs too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arzaac posted:

If whoever did that box art didn't also paint a few vans their talent was wasted.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Stanfield posted:

Don't know if this is still going but:

You actually make ten. :)

The pact is sealed.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Poque posted:

Run 2 - GEO/GEO/GEO/GEO - Complete!

Geomancer is good actually.

I just got past sol cannon with black mage/geomancer/bard. How the heck do you do that with four geomancers? Grind out levels until you can do 2k bell damage?

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

McFrugal posted:

I just got past sol cannon with black mage/geomancer/bard. How the heck do you do that with four geomancers? Grind out levels until you can do 2k bell damage?

I would like to know this too since it seems I have to do it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cattail Prophet posted:

It's not video, but hopefully this series of screenshots is unambiguous enough to suffice:

Awesome! Must have taken some careful scanning to get that result.

I'll accept a 1HP libra/scan reading. If you don't have blue or white magic I'd also take a screenshot of the emulator showing the RAM address for the boss' HP at 1.

I'll wait until the end of FJF and lump all the donations into a big one, because :effort:

anyway, for my benefit I'm going to POST A BIG ALLCAPS REMINDER: CATTAIL CLAIMED CATASTROPHE

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

T-man posted:

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

And do not read past the first five or so pages because it's just more of the same for like 70 of them and then a bunch of gross NSFM pics for some reason.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

ultrafilter posted:

Same :toxx: as last year. Use all twenty regular jobs and I'll donate $20 plus your job fair expenses (up to the total price of one of each regular job). Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon. There is no requirement to do this in exactly five runs, but more than that is a lot of FFV.

And what I've been meaning to do for many fiesta's is complete. $19 in total job fair costs (Geo, Blue, Sam, Black, Red, Knight).

Team 1 - Bard / Berserker / Dragoon / Mystic Knight
A fun team, if not much ability synergy besides !Sing and Equip Harps. Bard are still strong enough to carry plenty of teams.

Team 2 - Monk / Ninja / Time Mage / Summoner
Time Mage is probably my favorite job, so this was fun as usual. Monk saved me grinding since I happened to already have 30% HP, so they could just Phoenix Down after Almagest so the hurt train could continue.

Team 3 - Geo / White / Thief / Chemist
This is where I decided I would go for all jobs, since I only needed to replace one (Geo was initally a Mystic Knight) and it almost killed me. I hosed up Sol Cannon and left my team in the back row for a majority of the fight, so it took forever. Geomancer is ok at some things, bad at most things and it really reminded me how bad that job is. I still hate grinding for ingredients as Chemist and its why I really don't like getting them in runs even if they are super powerful. !Flee and eventually Holy kept me sane.

Team 4 - Blue / Ranger / Beastmaster / Samurai
And this is where the majority of my Job Fairs began. I naturally rolled Ranger/Beastmaster, and I wanted to rock out with Blue. I was specifcally hunting all jobs and figured Samurai fit real well here. This was a full clear to get all the magic and in a shock to nobody, super easy. I did end up over leveling a bit because I did my grinding before getting Big Guard and forgot about it when thinking about required HP to survive Almagest.

Team 5 - Red / Dancer / Knight / Black
:siren: Brave Blade Alert :siren: This team had way more synergy and power than I thought going in. I'm generally down on Dancer due to the RNG aspect and Red Mage since it falls off a drat cliff in World 2. I was expecting Knight to take me through World 2 till i get proper spells and then Black Mages takes over. But shoving Double Grip on Red & Dancer kept their damage somewhat relevant thanks to the Strength boost & double gripping swords. Dancer eventually got Equip Swords and the plan was to give them the Brave Blade, but they were already hitting 9999 Sword Dances with Excalibur. I ended up giving them Ragnarok instead. There were points I was dancing with the Black Mage in hopes I rolled the MP Drain so I could keep going. I did miss running at the beginning, but once this team got going there wasn't much of a need.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

McFrugal posted:

Well, I was pretty high leveled already from Ifrit and Sandworm. I think I was somewhere in the 30s, I stuck everybody in the front row and was equipped with the Main Gauche and three ... Mage Mashers? Whatever the most powerful purchaseable knife was at the time, I think in Jachol. Killed off the launchers quickly enough and only one person was Olded (fortunately not the Gauche user), then just plinked away. I sent the Old person to the death panel while the remaining three used about 15 elixirs between them to stay alive. It wasn't too bad.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Approaching endgame with my BLU/RDM/BST/DRG team. I just got the Thief knife before I went to bed and got the two sealed weapons that matter for my comp (the rod and the lance). Going to go GBA bug a stingray to get mighty guard and steal a Dragon's Whisker from it get hermes-ed up, and I'm heading for the endgame.

Is there a go-to money farm spot in world 3 or is it mostly still just L5 Deathing Object D'Art?

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I have a Monk/Berserker/Bard/Dancer team, and NED keeps wiping the party. I'd like to have the Bard build stats in the ExDeath battle, but I have to kill the Berserker to keep her from killing ExDeath in the meantime...

For the stat-boosting Bard songs, do the party members have to be alive to receive the bonus stats? If a boosted party member enters "wounded" status, do they lose the stats?

Also, is it better to sing the Speed song to get moving warp speed and then sing the Hero song to boost everyone's levels? If the stats hit the cap, does the Bard stop singing? If not, how do you get the Bard to stop (short of attacking them)?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

hendersa posted:

I have a Monk/Berserker/Bard/Dancer team, and NED keeps wiping the party. I'd like to have the Bard build stats in the ExDeath battle, but I have to kill the Berserker to keep her from killing ExDeath in the meantime...

For the stat-boosting Bard songs, do the party members have to be alive to receive the bonus stats? If a boosted party member enters "wounded" status, do they lose the stats?

Also, is it better to sing the Speed song to get moving warp speed and then sing the Hero song to boost everyone's levels? If the stats hit the cap, does the Bard stop singing? If not, how do you get the Bard to stop (short of attacking them)?

Blind the Zerker, that way he still gets stats.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

hendersa posted:

I had a white mage handy to cast Mini on my berserker. I guess it'd be possible to find some encounter that'll Mini or Frog them for you and go into Exdeath without curing it, but I'm not sure where that'd be.

I don't know if party members need to be alive to receive stats. Stat boosting songs don't stop ever until the singer gets bonked, but you can just equip any weak-rear end weapon and stab them with it for 0 damage. I used Healing Staff, because that apparently works. :v: You can probably use any lovely dagger from your dancer.

For that reason, I also recommend only having one person sing since you have a zerk. Treedeath can sometimes get a lucky hit in, OHKO and petrify a person, and if it happens to be the only character in your party you have any control over, you're screwed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That was fast. I didn't expect anyone to finish before July.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I'm working on it but I keep rolling thf.

and also i did a quadzerk run which didn't help

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Just to make sure we're all clear re: Current Forum Drama(tm), there isn't any current planned changes but Discord (invite link here) remains available for everyone who needs to get away from poo poo.

We also do not have nor have any plans to use GDN; only bot is Carbybot and we wrote that in-house and the most invasive thing it does is flip you the bird if you ask for a Natural run.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 24, 2020

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

hendersa posted:

Nevermind. I got it sorted out. It honestly wasn't even close, and I finished the run with everyone at max health!

I sang the Speed song first for a bit in the first form and then the Hero song for the rest of the first form and from there on out. The Berserker just went nuts on the second form and tore it up. I was originally using a Rune Axe, but the only magic ability that I could equip to boost it was "Equip Harps." Instead, I opted for the Earth Hammer with the SNES magic underflow using the Thornlet. That helped a lot in hitting the back two pieces of NED.

It seemed like I was hitting NED something like three or four times for each attack that it sent against me. I went into the fight with everyone at level 42, though that hardly mattered once the Bard got rolling.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i'm not convinced aegis shield can block tidal wave

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Relin posted:

i'm not convinced aegis shield can block tidal wave

I know you're probably just frustrated at RNG luck but

Bregor posted:

Two blocks on the first Tidal Wave. My strategy was to facetank/block rather than give up Hermes for Coral.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

So i finally got around to this. I have pulled black mage and ninja and this brought up a question. What is better early damage: breaking rods with the black mage or giving the black mage !throw and using scrolls?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

gatesealer posted:

So i finally got around to this. I have pulled black mage and ninja and this brought up a question. What is better early damage: breaking rods with the black mage or giving the black mage !throw and using scrolls?

Throw easily on any sort of caster. Scrolls do higher base damage than ____aga spells and are cheaper to boot. If you have NIN paired with casters, all casters get throw. If you have NIN paired with (most) melee, they all get dual wield. It's a great synergy class.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Gotta get those sweet boosted water scrolls with the magus rod.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Magus Rod boosts every element EXCEPT water, it's the reason Leviathan is bad.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I wasn't sure and the top Google result said it boosted water. Egg on my face

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Magus Rod is coded to boost every element individually, but there's no way to do that for water due to a quirk in the game's code. The Chemist's Elemental Power boosts anything coded as elemental, including water.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

gatesealer posted:

Rods should beat Scroll for single target damage, they have a much higher power (-aga is 185, Scroll is 120), but scrolls aren't halved by multi-target and rod breaking always multi-targets if possible. However, Scrolls can be boosted but a broken rod doesn't boost itself, so they'll be very close single target if you have the right rod on, and absolutely disgusting multi-target.

Cast single target -aga with boost > s.t. rod break = s.t. cast w/o boost ~= scroll with boost > m.t. -aga w/ boost > scroll w/o > m.t. -aga w/o, I think

e: Wait, if you want REALLY dumb fiesta bullshit, you can grind out dual wield on your Black Mage and boost your rod breaks!

tl;dr Scrolls good, boosted scrolls better

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 25, 2020

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Is the Magus Rod (and the bell with the same effect) fixed in the iOS version so that it boosts water or is that beyond their power?

I could kind of see it going either way, both "it's obviously supposed to boost water but it doesn't" but also "there'd be literally no reason to use Bahamut ever now"

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020
Rubbing up against Ifrit / Byblos with Berserker and Beastmaster available on my blind chaos risk run and spent loving ages trying to catch a D. Chimera only to find out it was pretty useless against bosses. I then started catching loving everything I could lay my grubby ACAB hands on just to see what they all did and I see my way through this wall. I'm gonna catch some fuckin' grass turtles. This whole fiesta game mode is making me engage with FF in ways I never have before and it's amazing.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

PastaBakeWizard posted:

Rubbing up against Ifrit / Byblos with Berserker and Beastmaster available on my blind chaos risk run and spent loving ages trying to catch a D. Chimera only to find out it was pretty useless against bosses. I then started catching loving everything I could lay my grubby ACAB hands on just to see what they all did and I see my way through this wall. I'm gonna catch some fuckin' grass turtles. This whole fiesta game mode is making me engage with FF in ways I never have before and it's amazing.

Page 36(?) in the library casts banish and Byblos isn't heavy. It doesn't always hit but you can just reload a save til it does.

Basic bitch goblins (if you can capture them at this point) also can flare for 1kish damage.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

PastaBakeWizard posted:

Release a Page 32 on Byblos for maximum hilarity.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also Byblos is vulnerable to paralyze and it lasts awhile since he’s not heavy, so you can stunlock him with whips.

And the Dhorme Chimera is actually useful for a certain desert boss in the near future...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bregor posted:

Release a Page 32 on Byblos for maximum hilarity.
Yeah, we have suggestions for every boss both in enkibot and in the catch spreadsheet if you want them, and this is one!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
:thumbsup: Nice work. Both of you added.

I really should try to make more progress on my first run. Stupid FGO has to release a new main story chapter right during fiesta season, plus all these new games I want coming out at once. Argh.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Bufuman posted:

I really should try to make more progress on my first run. Stupid FGO has to release a new main story chapter right during fiesta season, plus all these new games I want coming out at once. Argh.

Unless you're aiming for a record number of runs, don't be afraid to take a break from the Fiesta for a bit to do other stuff that catches your eye. You got over two full months to get it done, and forcing yourself to play when you'd rather be doing something else never turns out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Run 2 Pure Chaos: Freelancer / Ranger / Bard / Geomancer or "Rapid fire goes brrrr"

This run was pretty easy and it's always nice to just trounce NED after barding yourself up to 99 stats while staring down a tree.

Power Staff + Dark Bow + Got to apollo harp to handle Shinryu (who still killed me once)

Romeo's Ballad X3 + Freelancer rapidfiring for Omega.

Decided to at least open up Run 3 and my first job was Chemist. Decided to look at the rest and well

Run 3 Chaos: Chemist / Berserker / Time Mage / Red Mage or "Succfest 2020 is a go"