Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Wow, that's a garbo article. Should have gone after the Lena Dunham hysterectomy thing if they wanted to offend people yet be on steady ground as far as sound medical advice/doctor advocacy. Shame, exploring the dark side of patient agency under capitalism is interesting in a bloodless lib way, but hardly original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Zedhe Khoja posted:

From her arguments *all* desire is "the parasite" and artificially imposed by ~neoliberalism~

this is exactly the main, major problem with a bunch of academic assholes using lacanian arguments is that they think the language is universally accessible, because it is not

"Desire", in psychoanalysis and general psychology, is something that you feel but you cannot truly know, nor is ever fulfilled: it is the closest thing one can learn about that shows that we are incomplete and imperfect beings. What is worse is that desires come from the discourse we all live under in: a lot of what we think we want have been implanted in ourselves through the words and actions of others, as well as what society itself considers proper or not.

To work with desire, in a psychotherapeutic context, is to find the space where you actually get to a point you can consider "wait a loving minute, what the gently caress do I actually want?" in relation to all the rest that you have been absorbing or has been imposed on you. And by realizing that you do not know what you want, the order of things you were "supposed" to do or be come crashing down. This, by itself, causes a very powerful thing: what was once impossible in your social reality, in your psyche, is now possible.

Through this process, desire becomes a powerful thing in the patient's favor, rather than a burden. In relation to trans people, how come the desire of transition, which is profoundly related to actualization and as such is very well within the purview of psychotherapy and psychoanalysis to aid the patient to go towards, an imposed desire by society at large?

tl;dr - using lacanian words to do some reaction poo poo

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Autism Sneaks posted:

is there something about doing a podcast that fucks up your brain like you stuck your head in a microwave oven

probably, but it renders them beyond cancellation. isnt that where we all want to end up.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

liz literally explains in that thread exactly what her take on the essay is and it is not what people have decided it is, tbh. calm down.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

posting a lovely article and praising it, and then posting "wow I was just trying to get people to be critical of it, i just like [completely banal point that it makes]" once people get mad at you is a classic twitter move

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

gh0stpinballa posted:

liz literally explains in that thread exactly what her take on the essay is and it is not what people have decided it is, tbh. calm down.

I don't really have a dog in that fight and even I could tell that was a futile attempt at walking poo poo back. She doesn't say anything that even attempts to refute the core of the criticism from the the people roasting her.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

gh0stpinballa posted:

shut the gently caress up dude. nobody but you gives a poo poo if liz is cancelled or not over posting and promoting a paywalled navelgazing transphobic thunkpiece. it's a garbage article top to bottom, because even if you're trying to glean the one pinprick of sensible critique it makes like how all healthcare under capitalism is warped by market logic, it's still making that point at the expense of trans people. and going "hey this article is excellent even if u disagree engage pls uwu" is just admitting ignorance and vapidity

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

dead gay comedy forums posted:

"Desire", in psychoanalysis and general psychology, is something that you feel but you cannot truly know, nor is ever fulfilled: it is the closest thing one can learn about that shows that we are incomplete and imperfect beings. What is worse is that desires come from the discourse we all live under in: a lot of what we think we want have been implanted in ourselves through the words and actions of others, as well as what society itself considers proper or not.

You're talking about dukkha, which does not require society or culture.

Sounds like this Lacan guy needed to read a book :chord:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

Sounds like this Lacan guy needed to read a book :chord:

lmao

dukkha is the metaphysical form of desire according to buddhism, yes, but tbqf psychology offers more immediate tools to work with that than enlightenment haha

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Me, a genius- "When someone wants to do something for any reason, it is inherently a selfish act because it comes from their own thoughts and not someone else's"

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Doc Hawkins posted:

Oh man, I love that with some bread and olive oil.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
how can transpeople want to abolish capitalism, when they themselves are made of capitalism

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

The only dukkha I'm interested in is Bob Ducca.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Vauo-PmOk

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dead gay comedy forums posted:

this is exactly the main, major problem with a bunch of academic assholes using lacanian arguments is that they think the language is universally accessible, because it is not

the problem with using lacan for anything is he was an idiot who was totally full of poo poo

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the problem with using lacan for anything is he was an idiot who was totally full of poo poo

Yeah but boy it's fun to say "Hegelian-Lacanian" in a bad Slovenian accent followed by a long sniff.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
zizek is the only person who gets to quote lacan because he also recognizes it's a load of hooey

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

So when people say you should read theory, this is what they mean?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Autism Sneaks posted:

shut the gently caress up dude. nobody but you gives a poo poo if liz is cancelled or not over posting and promoting a paywalled navelgazing transphobic thunkpiece. it's a garbage article top to bottom, because even if you're trying to glean the one pinprick of sensible critique it makes like how all healthcare under capitalism is warped by market logic, it's still making that point at the expense of trans people. and going "hey this article is excellent even if u disagree engage pls uwu" is just admitting ignorance and vapidity

sir. SIR. the article got you fired up and feeling righteous in your anger, on the internet. that is the sole aim of every single nplusone article. the more you post about it, the more they are vindicated. let it go. play some cities skylines. you may hate me, we may never be friends, but i am telling you this because i care.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

gh0stpinballa posted:

sir. SIR. the article got you fired up and feeling righteous in your anger, on the internet. that is the sole aim of every single nplusone article. the more you post about it, the more they are vindicated. let it go. play some cities skylines. you may hate me, we may never be friends, but i am telling you this because i care.

trans women die waiting to get health care friend

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

gh0stpinballa posted:

this does not make you look like the calm reasonable poster you think it does, my man

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gh0stpinballa posted:

Go gently caress yourself.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Varinn posted:

this does not make you look like the calm reasonable poster you think it does, my man

i don't really care about looking calm and i have never claimed to be reasonable. bizarre post. nplusone is read by maybe 100 people on a good day. i don't see how getting angry at their garbage or some podcaster boosting it is useful beyond getting some cheap laughs. i mean i'm all for that but the histrionics of doc hawkins above is just weird. NPO has no influence and no real audience. and the people who did read the article *universally reject it*. nobody gives a poo poo about the rightist liberalism of nplusone, the NYT op ed page already has that market cornered. when i say "liz is uncancellable" it is a statement of fact, not an endorsement. there is literally no point engaging with any of it unless we're trying to get some yuks out of it. certainly there is nothing at an intellectual level in that article to process.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Gripweed posted:

Go gently caress yourself.

this is just uncalled for, gripweed

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

gh0stpinballa posted:

i don't really care about looking calm and i have never claimed to be reasonable. bizarre post. nplusone is read by maybe 100 people on a good day. i don't see how getting angry at their garbage or some podcaster boosting it is useful beyond getting some cheap laughs. i mean i'm all for that but the histrionics of doc hawkins above is just weird. NPO has no influence and no real audience. and the people who did read the article *universally reject it*. nobody gives a poo poo about the rightist liberalism of nplusone, the NYT op ed page already has that market cornered. when i say "liz is uncancellable" it is a statement of fact, not an endorsement. there is literally no point engaging with any of it unless we're trying to get some yuks out of it. certainly there is nothing at an intellectual level in that article to process.

the anger is directed at the essay's content and its author, not the perceivable amount of clout the website has

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Victory Position posted:

the anger is directed at the essay's content and its author, not the perceivable amount of clout the website has

you know what i give up, i don't want to fight. im owned, im going to go to the epstein thread.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
liz working hard to take the title of most problematic female podcaster from amber. trying to muscle a ppoc (problematic podcaster of color) out of the hot take industry, you hate to see it

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

we should get felix to buy SA

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

gh0stpinballa posted:

hate how the oil and minerals and forests run out so fast, I always use the mod that makes them never run out but that feels like cheating lmao.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
felix buy SA and make the main forums the imp zone and e/n. you know you want to

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

ur in my world now posted:

liz working hard to take the title of most problematic female podcaster from amber. trying to muscle a ppoc (problematic podcaster of color) out of the hot take industry, you hate to see it

Liz is a PoC

Pole of Controversy

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

honestly I'm just glad she managed to get her rear end out on main like a week into me starting to listen to the trueanon back catalog so i didn't have time to get attached to her or brace. that's what we call speedrunning disappointment in cis people, folx

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
The lady on the crank conspiracy podcast has a bad opinion

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ur in my world now posted:

felix buy SA and make the main forums the imp zone and e/n. you know you want to

YOSPOS as the computer forum

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

PawParole posted:

hate how the oil and minerals and forests run out so fast, I always use the mod that makes them never run out but that feels like cheating lmao.

i totally skip that, i try to rush development to get cargo trains and ports to supply raw material and try to build nice flowing interchange in the meantime. i should probably work on that angle tho, bit of an extra challenge. i can't use mods cos im a ps4 chud :(

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

This forum does seem like a pretty decent investment opportunity. Mainly based on the fact that Lowtax proved the owner doesn't have to do anything

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
random request, but there's a chapo episode, maybe an inebriated history, where matt goes on about the history of UFO conspiracies in the 90s and how they relate to a loss of faith in government. anyone remember which episode?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Canadian Surf Club posted:

random request, but there's a chapo episode, maybe an inebriated history, where matt goes on about the history of UFO conspiracies in the 90s and how they relate to a loss of faith in government. anyone remember which episode?

307 The Inebriated Past American Conspiracies

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
perfect ty I scrolled for so long and must have missed it

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009
The full essay is linked on the True Anon reddit in a massive thread over there. Before even getting to the later points in that essay it sucks so bad, the author spends 700 words reminiscing about a conversation about a mole she had with her plastic surgeon father. Also to get petty, I googled her name to see if she had anything else to read and her rate your professor showed up and those kids hate her.

Paffgen has issued a correction as of 04:34 on Apr 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Paffgen posted:

Before True Anon I first recognized Liz from seeing her avi constantly in the replies of Aimee, Anna K and all the other bright bulbs in that realm of the twitter lady left and while she's not as dumb as those two she seems like a horrible judge of character, kind of a suck up, and is def keeping some unpopular opinions of hers on the dl. What can you do? No hate for Liz really, but she did make a tweet like "drat my girls chat should be a movie :p" and for that alone (and stanning Disney parks) she deserves a little internet backlash for her hubris.

The full essay is linked on the True Anon reddit in a massive thread over there. Before even getting to the later points in that essay it sucks so bad, the author spends 700 words reminiscing about a conversation about a mole she had with her plastic surgeon father. Also to get petty, I googled her name to see if she had anything else to read and her rate your professor showed up and those kids hate her.

you are loving insane