Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That artist put more effort into that than the actual filmmakers.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Hey uh, is there a Kaiju Discord channel? I can't really imagine one was really justified up to now but figured I'd ask. Just kinda collecting up servers for my specific interests just now. For reasons.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ask Fran to make a kaiju channel in the CineD discord. That's a solid idea.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Turns out I need the Cine D discord channel. I assume it's in a stickied post? This is pretty much the only thread in this subforum I read actually. I have very specific film interests what can I say.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sent you an invite. Apparently we're keeping links hidden since there's Kiwifarms people joining the visible links. (From what I heard.)

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sent you an invite. Apparently we're keeping links hidden since there's Kiwifarms people joining the visible links. (From what I heard.)

Could I trouble you for a link as well

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Same here. I didn’t know we had one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HannibalBarca posted:

Could I trouble you for a link as well

Just tried PMing you one but I got a message saying you've chosen not to receive PMs?

dentist toy box posted:

Same here. I didn’t know we had one.

Sent.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
If its not too much trouble could I get one?

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Could I grab an invite as well?

I’m A Connoisseur#5461

A Dapper Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 25, 2020

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
I would love a link as well. PM's open or Discord name is BitterAvatar#8393

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

With the cost of Godzilla vs Ghidorah/Godzilla vs Mothra steadily rising on Amazon, should I just say screw it and jump ahead to Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2/Godzilla vs Space Godzilla, or will I regret not seeing the others beforehand?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

With the cost of Godzilla vs Ghidorah/Godzilla vs Mothra steadily rising on Amazon, should I just say screw it and jump ahead to Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2/Godzilla vs Space Godzilla, or will I regret not seeing the others beforehand?

https://archive.org/details/GODZILLAVS.KINGGHIDORAH1991JapaneseVersionHD

Godzilla VS Ghidorah is honestly pretty goddamn vital for the rest of the series. VS Mothra has a few minor things that pop up in Space Godzilla but you might be able to find it here too

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ah screw it I'll just wait for somebody to get their poo poo together and do a Heisei box set. I ordered The H-Man/Battle in Outer Space instead

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 27, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

ah screw it I'll just wait for somebody to get their poo poo together and do a Showa box set.

Already exists.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Heisei, I meant Heisei. Right now I'm just hoping the B&N Criterion Sale isn't canceled so I can snag that next month

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gripweed posted:

You should at least see the Ghidorah movie. Mecha King Ghidorah, and the weird rear end time travel plot are some highlights of the era.

I love the Heisei era movies, and it really burns my biscuits I haven’t seen Biollante yet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know it’s kind of impossible at the moment, but I highly suggest watching the Heisei films with a group because they’re all insane in unique ways and make for very entertaining movie nights. I know that series is flawed and has its detractors, but I love it to pieces.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Biollinate feels like it comes out ahead of the rest of them as far as being completely bonkers. Ghidorah is a close second.

The Heisei monster designs and suits are so good, even if they were too bulky to actually move in.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know it’s kind of impossible at the moment, but I highly suggest watching the Heisei films with a group because they’re all insane in unique ways and make for very entertaining movie nights. I know that series is flawed and has its detractors, but I love it to pieces.

Yeah, the Heisei-era movies are ... it's hard to put them in the right context. They are absolutely bonkers in all the right ways.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah as much as I complain about them, they are fun in their own ways. I don't know if I can say if I either like them or not, but they certainly are spectacle. Some of the designs of Godzilla himself are goddamned amazing, making him more of a super animal at times which I really like. Millennium Godzilla is one of my favorite suits ever; it's loving WILD.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

He doesn't get talked about much but I have a lot of affection for Battra.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Hey this seems vaguely applicable to this thread: https://twitter.com/beeragon/status/1276569706573463554

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah as much as I complain about them, they are fun in their own ways. I don't know if I can say if I either like them or not, but they certainly are spectacle. Some of the designs of Godzilla himself are goddamned amazing, making him more of a super animal at times which I really like. Millennium Godzilla is one of my favorite suits ever; it's loving WILD.

if you're talking about G2K then hard agree, I always lamented they changed it so soon for GMK. better movie but worse suit by far

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

if you're talking about G2K then hard agree, I always lamented they changed it so soon for GMK. better movie but worse suit by far

I like beer gut Godzilla

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Drakyn posted:

Hey this seems vaguely applicable to this thread: https://twitter.com/beeragon/status/1276569706573463554

That was wonderful :unsmith:

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
I got the Criterion Collection at the beginning of quarantine and have been enjoying the films immensely. They’re just good fun - but I was wondering what the consensus was on Destroy All Monsters. Usually there’s a decent balance of plot to monster but this one was just bloated bad plot, 5 minutes of monster goodness, and then blah. Am I alone in liking it the least of the Showa films?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A Dapper Walrus posted:

I got the Criterion Collection at the beginning of quarantine and have been enjoying the films immensely. They’re just good fun - but I was wondering what the consensus was on Destroy All Monsters. Usually there’s a decent balance of plot to monster but this one was just bloated bad plot, 5 minutes of monster goodness, and then blah. Am I alone in liking it the least of the Showa films?

It holds a bit of a soft spot in my heart as the finale for the Tsuburaya era of Godzilla but otherwise it's a very slow paced, dreary thing.

It felt like it could have done more, but it is what it is. Fittingly, it feeling tired is very much A Thing, as it was also the last Godzilla production until 1971. A mild break, but a break all the same.

I say that because while they did make another movie in 1969, Godzilla's Revenge, it was NOT a Godzilla production. It was filmed and made very differently which is self evident.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

A Dapper Walrus posted:

That's about the size of it. I'd hesitate to say it's my least favorite of the Showa films, but that's only because I haven't done a full rewatch in a while. It might very well turn out to be the case if and when I do.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HannibalBarca posted:

That's about the size of it. I'd hesitate to say it's my least favorite of the Showa films, but that's only because I haven't done a full rewatch in a while. It might very well turn out to be the case if and when I do.

What I think broke my heart about DMA was I heard about it for, well, decades before I actually got to see it. Godzilla vs. Gigan might be goofy as all heck but at least I got to see it when I was a kid. The books on Godzilla I had as a kid (the small orange hardback books for one, if anybody remembers those, I'd get them out of my elementary school's library and they were all on movie monsters) all talked up Destroy All Monsters as having ALL THE MONSTERS and sounded like this amazing battle royal on top of Mt. Fuji. It was not.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

I'd argue that the human plot in something like Gigan or even Megalon is perfectly acceptable as an upscaled version of a "Ultra" show TV plot (which is really all those movies were trying to be) and is on balance at least much more *interesting* than Destroy All Monsters' microwaved rehash of Monster Zero.

Really, the one sticking point stopping me from saying that DAM is my least-favorite Showa film is that it's been years since I saw Godzilla's Revenge and have not yet had the chance to test out the partial rehabilitation the fandom has given it recently.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 30, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I legit cannot judge Destroy All Monsters objectively. That is a movie that I have known since I was capable of making memories and it has always existed. Child me would fast forward to anything that had monsters or the Moonlight SY3 and the rest of the movie was condemned to the pit as far as I was concerned. Which, amusingly, I didn't do with other films like Gigan or Sea Monster.

Maybe child me knew more than I thought

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I remember the plot to Sea Monster as being entertaining at the very least.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Just Offscreen posted:

Sea Monster and Son of Godzilla are both helped out by their fun and zippy human stories to cover up for some dodgy monster stuff, yeah.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Just Offscreen posted:

The dance contest, the boat, the thief, craziness with the captives. Yeah, that's my candidate for the best human storyline. Plus Big G just playing with fighters staring him with rockets is priceless, he knows what kind of movie he's in and he's having fun.

Any movie where you can say "I know ! Let's wake up Godzilla !" because it's a perfectly reasonable course of action that can't make your situation any worse is a thumbs up in my book.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Son of Godzilla I always kind of liked (apart from when it becomes Minya's show) because as a kid I found the Kamacuras creepy when they would chase the humans and Kumonga is a giant spider which ew. Also Godzilla straight up murks monsters in that one which kind of blew my mind when I was little.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Son of Godzilla I always kind of liked (apart from when it becomes Minya's show) because as a kid I found the Kamacuras creepy when they would chase the humans and Kumonga is a giant spider which ew. Also Godzilla straight up murks monsters in that one which kind of blew my mind when I was little.
Was watching it on Comet the other day and it definitely holds up. The kamacuras deserve to get roasted for their out of control behavior.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I don't know what it is about Sea Monster, but I love it. It has this weird beach party feel to it almost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I don't know what it is about Sea Monster, but I love it. It has this weird beach party feel to it almost.

Music plays a big part IMHO