Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah this is just a waste of time, plunk down some money for Sohla and gang or it’s a worthless gesture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

I mean, I'm not saying it's completely worthless. There might be people who go to that site and that's their only source of info and they have no natural curiosity to look into things further and adding that small amount of cultural context will really help them out. Since BA has a content strike until they plunk down some money for Sohla and the gang it seems like that'd be the better place to start though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wonder if one solution for them might just be to confess and accept that their recipes are completely unfaithful to the original cultural context. I'm inclined to agree that we should be okay with food being localized or otherwise tweaked; the problem is when people mistake these remixes as the originals.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
This would have been a really cool step 5....

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

My Starbucks order made me miss Molly just a bit today

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Which Star Wars movie was that character in?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thom and the Heads posted:

every piece of rhett and link related media gives me big Fun Times With Youth Group vibes

Both were hardcore Born Again Christians until about five years ago so that kinda tracks.

They actually did a couple podcasts about their "journey" from being Fundies to Agnostics which was pretty interesting to listen to.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mobile posting, but The Algorithm recommended me a serious eats video where sohla and a pastry chef (sorry, I forgot your name :( ) each get some money to spend at a farmers market and the other person had to make something with the ingredients the other person chose. sohla sohla'd the hell out of it and I was happy to get some new (old) content

e: found it in my history but i cant embed

https://youtu.be/ruziqpKSfaI

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Embedding the video.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

ty friend

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
BA dragging their feet right now and I feel like breaking off from BA is looking more and more the thing to do

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Stella is cool I make her pie dough

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, vintage sohla is even cooler BA sohla, they must have ruined her

LifeLoveLive
Jun 25, 2020

xtal posted:

Her serious eats stuff is seriously insanely good. You can very easily tell she's the only fine dining experience person at BA. SE got way worse after she dropped (not that I have anything against Gritzer or whoever else... most of the recipes are fine... they're just not food lab or Sohla people)

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Steve Yun posted:

BA dragging their feet right now and I feel like breaking off from BA is looking more and more the thing to do

Unsubscribing from their youtube and not giving their website views/clicks is definitely a good move, that poo poo is watched closely (or was, if they were underpaying someone to do it earlier and now some white VP has to figure it out on their own). Starting to think we should do the same with SA if Lowtax isn't cut out completely before he nukes the sites DNS from orbit.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

xtal posted:

Working as an assistant at BA is definitely a huge downgrade after running your own restaurant.

Also Molly has mentioned she worked at Picholine which had a Michelin star but I don't know how high up the food chain she was.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

droll posted:

. Starting to think we should do the same with SA if Lowtax isn't cut out completely before he nukes the sites DNS from orbit.

It's already running slow as gently caress for the last hour or so. Hmmmmmm.... Probably a DDOS I'd guess. E

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

.Z. posted:

Embedding the video.

Stella Parks rules and I have her book, it's good

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Hunzie got suspended by Conde Nast saying they've received several troubling reports. Others are saying it retaliation https://www.businessinsider.com/conde-nast-suspends-bon-appetit-video-editor-2020-6?utm_source=notification&utm_medium=referral

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh god, just burn it all down at this point.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It’s Alive! Murdered by Capitalism!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Hunzie got suspended by Conde Nast saying they've received several troubling reports. Others are saying it retaliation https://www.businessinsider.com/conde-nast-suspends-bon-appetit-video-editor-2020-6?utm_source=notification&utm_medium=referral

aka concerns about "maybe we should not hire racists" tweets on Twitter

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

It's retaliation

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Cool well I guess that answers whether or not Conde Nest was going to listen and change at all

Delita
Jan 6, 2005
So far Carla, Sohla and Priya have spoken out about Hunzi being punished. Carla also added this

https://twitter.com/lallimusic/status/1276258494975488004?s=20

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Oh god, just burn it all down at this point.

For real do these people have WWE-esque brutal contracts or why haven't they just quit en masse by now?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

flashy_mcflash posted:

For real do these people have WWE-esque brutal contracts or why haven't they just quit en masse by now?

steady paychecks

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

flashy_mcflash posted:

People like having a paycheck during a massive economic recession.

np19
Dec 25, 2016
I think there have been more retaliatory firings than there have been resignations related to inequality at large in Condé Nast.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

flashy_mcflash posted:

A surplus in readily available labour to slot in and replace you is why people take poo poo contracts and work in horrible conditions - it's a tenet of our capitalism that we're in now.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Yea I imagine if there's an industry where people are willing to kill to get out of the normal grind of the industry and into a cush World Trade studio it's the culinary industry.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Slotducks posted:

A surplus in readily available labour to slot in and replace you is why people take poo poo contracts and work in horrible conditions - it's a tenet of our capitalism that we're in now.

Well that's kind of what I'm getting at - the BATK folks are semi-celebs now so I'd assume they have some leverage here, because BA can't and probably wouldn't wholesale replace everyone and have the same success. Maybe I'm greatly overestimating how much Amazon or Netflix or Vice would throw at them to produce content if they did leave though. I'd be curious if they've had offers from another organization to poach them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is this the Alton Brown appreciation thread or do I need to go somewhere else for that? Seems like the latest season of reloaded has wrapped. How do you all like the format? I'd generally prefer new shows of GE Prime, but they did run about a billion episodes of that and I imagine that the reloaded format is far easier and cheaper to produce, plus it's fun to see him rip on old styles/techniques.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I like AB, and Reloaded is a great idea, especially when it deals with how the food culture landscape has changed in the last 10-15 years.

EDIT: his Quarantine Quitchen live-streams on YouTube are a ton of fun. His wife puts up with none of his BS, and they’re great together.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 7, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

flashy_mcflash posted:

Well that's kind of what I'm getting at - the BATK folks are semi-celebs now so I'd assume they have some leverage here, because BA can't and probably wouldn't wholesale replace everyone and have the same success. Maybe I'm greatly overestimating how much Amazon or Netflix or Vice would throw at them to produce content if they did leave though. I'd be curious if they've had offers from another organization to poach them.

The fact that they haven't already makes me wonder if they have non-compete clauses

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

The fact that they haven't already makes me wonder if they have non-compete clauses

Yeah, me too. More generally, what even are these contracts if a bunch of them are only paid a pittance for video but can't make videos for anyone else?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The_Doctor posted:

I like AB, and Reloaded is a great idea, especially when it deals with how the food culture landscape has changed in the last 10-15 years.

EDIT: his Quarantine Quitchen live-streams on YouTube are a ton of fun. His wife puts up with none of his BS, and they’re great together.

I’ve not really paid much attention to those streams as I prefer the preproduced stuff but I’ll give it a look now that the season’s wrapped.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Alton Brown sabering the champagne, followed by the aftermath of AB sabering the champagne, in whichever stream that was (the second or third?) is an all-time classic.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Steve Yun posted:

Does NY enforce non-compete? I know California doesn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm finding myself enjoying Padma Lakshmi's new show a lot more than I thought I would. She's really likeable and more personable than I'd expect.