Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Guyver posted:

When they wake Bjorn up to deal with the Inquisition fleet in The Emperor's Legion he says twenty legions. So whatever happened it was when he was around.

Don't take Ol'Bjorn too seriously, he was just a newbie back then and ten thousand years of napping and playing robopoker with the other dreds has not done much good to his mental state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

moths posted:

I like that some of them were incorporated into extant legions, which implies that whatever happened was recent relative to the Heresy.

My pet theory is that they were pacifists or empathic, or wise enough to see that the Emperor's plan loving sucked.

I have a bit of fanfiction bouncing around in my head about a Primarch who rejected imperialism and told the Emperor to gently caress off, and got purged for his troubles.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Speaking of the ol empster. I hope we get some unification war books because there are some things I wonder how they'll explain.

Like, what was the emperor doing during the whole expansion era of humanity. Like, was he in charge? Was he just chilling? Did he know about the long night?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I obviously like the Ravenor series but I'll be honest and say that Gideon is easily my least favorite part of it. Is that weird?

I just find all the 11-Dimensional Chess Regicide JUST AS PLANNED :jerkbag: stuff gets dull kinda quickly.

:shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Like, him talking about the cities and housing projects (or "Council Estates" or whatever-the-gently caress) on Petropolis are, legit, some of my favorite scenes of any scifi ever just for how much implied culture gets added through the mention of the character's build and material environments. But then it's gotta end with Gideon flesh-suiting someone which is :shudder: af?

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Finally finished listening to Necropolis and...whew.

I called that oil pipeline being used like that like instantly after it got brought up in the beginning, loving trader scum.

I really wish the ending explained more of what went on and the aftermath. The hell happened in that meeting with Gaunt & Macaroth? C'mon man give us something. At least Gaunt got the girl I guess.

I loved Ghostmaker, not sure how I feel about this one yet. I don't think the next few books have been audioized yet so I guess I'm picking up some omnibusses; $200 for a single book on Amazon what the christ is going on with that.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Gideon is a dude who's been dealt a truly poo poo card of hands by fate and is trying real hard to do the right thing nonetheless.

Gregor is cold by nature. Gideon is cold because his real emotions are a giant ball of angst and envy for the physically abled, and he can't let those out because he must be a leader to his team of highly skilled, athletic acolytes who go out in the sun and mingle with people and jump around and do everything he'll never, ever do again.

Quite frankly, it's a miracle of selflessness that he didn't just find a weak-willed guy and start flesh-wearing him 100% of the time. Imagine offering a quadriplegic the power to do that, and a special badge giving him full legal authority to do that. Satan himself couldn't come up with a bigger temptation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mythicknight posted:

Finally finished listening to Necropolis and...whew.

I called that oil pipeline being used like that like instantly after it got brought up in the beginning, loving trader scum.

I really wish the ending explained more of what went on and the aftermath. The hell happened in that meeting with Gaunt & Macaroth? C'mon man give us something. At least Gaunt got the girl I guess.

I loved Ghostmaker, not sure how I feel about this one yet. I don't think the next few books have been audioized yet so I guess I'm picking up some omnibusses; $200 for a single book on Amazon what the christ is going on with that.

They've been reprinting the ghosts omnibuses, go buy them for twenty bucks each.

Glad to see another fan of Ghostmaker. It and First and Only aren't as popular as the novels that are more about "full" campaigns rather than serialized short stories, but I do enjoy Ghostmaker a whole lot and how it sets up the rivalry with the Volpone Bluebloods.

Necropolis is usually regarded as 40K: The Novel because of its over the top scale and grandiose verbosity. It's not really my favourite but I see why people recommend it as a starting book.

The next two novels are decent but if you thought that Necropolis ended abruptly you ain't seen nothing until you've finished Honour Guard or The Guns of Tanith. I actually think The Saint arc is the weakest part of the Ghosts series because its emotional weight is so often cripples by Abnett's inability to write a satisfying conclusion that has enough time to breathe. The exception is Straight Silver because it ends on an intentional cliffhanger. It's a shame because The Saint also has the best villain with Lijah FETHING Cuu.

Once you're past The Saint, you're in good territory. The Lost and The Victory are both fantastic arcs and the ending to The Victory may just be the best ending Abnett wrote, because goddammit it was earned.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

Like, him talking about the cities and housing projects (or "Council Estates" or whatever-the-gently caress) on Petropolis are, legit, some of my favorite scenes of any scifi ever just for how much implied culture gets added through the mention of the character's build and material environments. But then it's gotta end with Gideon flesh-suiting someone which is :shudder: af?

The opening to Ravenor is so strong. I know why they're starting with Eisenhorn but the first Ravenor book is so much more adaptable to TV than the first Eisenhorn. Xenos has a pretty grand scale by the end that I think would be difficult to pull off well without significant rewrites on a TV budget.

Whereas Ravenor is much more built around impressive but low key set pieces. The chase through the ruined slum buildings a thousand stories up. The fight at the alien circus zoo. The Star Wars cantina-esque frontier outpost. Even the finale just takes place on a ship. The most outrageous CGI spectacle you'd have would be a bit of ship combat and the psychic battles. I can picture it working so well!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

SerCypher posted:

Speaking of the ol empster. I hope we get some unification war books because there are some things I wonder how they'll explain.

Like, what was the emperor doing during the whole expansion era of humanity. Like, was he in charge? Was he just chilling? Did he know about the long night?

I've always liked the idea they play with occasionally where the whole 'Around since the Stone Age' thing is bullshit, and he's just a Dark Age of technology weapon that escaped control and made up a bogus backstory as it started it's conquests.

NihilCredo posted:

Quite frankly, it's a miracle of selflessness that he didn't just find a weak-willed guy and start flesh-wearing him 100% of the time. Imagine offering a quadriplegic the power to do that, and a special badge giving him full legal authority to do that. Satan himself couldn't come up with a bigger temptation.

With Inquistorial tech availability, he could probably just clone himself a new version of his old body with a brain that's a mental blank state and just fleshpuppet that.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 23, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SardonicTyrant posted:

The real answer to everything in the Heresy is that it was originally a one-page explanation of the backstory with a bunch of weird and random things thrown in that the Black Library authors tasked with the HH books suddenly had to explain and justify.

But also the Emperor is a mysterious inscrutable figure whose inner thoughts we can't give away, so half the Heresy books are people speculating why the Emperor does the things he does, with no obvious answer.

i mean they need to keep some mysteries.

SerCypher posted:

if i remember the various lore. he basicaly plays at trying to guide humanity from behind the scenes and poo poo until the mad max times, than he says "gently caress it".

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Dapper_Swindler posted:

if i remember the various lore. he basicaly plays at trying to guide humanity from behind the scenes and poo poo until the mad max times, than he says "gently caress it".
I think that's the 'official' line, though this:

Deptfordx posted:

...the whole 'Around since the Stone Age' thing is bullshit, and he's just a Dark Age of technology weapon that escaped control and made up a bogus backstory as it started it's conquests.
Is much more interesting.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Plucky Brit posted:

I think that's the 'official' line, though this:

Is much more interesting.

He could easily be both in the setting, a perpetual with ambitions that weaponized himself at a later stage, or a psyker that could just swap bodies or something until he could make a perfect host body for himself.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I really really like the "Dark Age Weapon" backstory and I hope they never ever actually confirm one way or another.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean they need to keep some mysteries.
Eh, that was probably more bitter than I intended.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can't remember where I read it, but there's a scene where one of the rival unification warlords is like "Wtf are you siding with him for, don't you know what that is?!" and then we never find out.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zudgemud posted:

He could easily be both in the setting, a perpetual with ambitions that weaponized himself at a later stage, or a psyker that could just swap bodies or something until he could make a perfect host body for himself.

I remember reading the original explanation that a bunch of power psykers killed themselves in ancient times so they'd all reincarnate together into the same being. That could be PRO EMPEROR PROPAGANDA THOUGH.

The whole mind affecting glory of his presence does feel a little sinister though. Like he has a portable brainwashing field. If that's the case then no wonder half the primarchs shrugged it off when he went home.

The Golden Throne is just a giant brainwashing transmitter!!! HORUS WAS RIGHT!

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 23, 2020

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

moths posted:

I can't remember where I read it, but there's a scene where one of the rival unification warlords is like "Wtf are you siding with him for, don't you know what that is?!" and then we never find out.

In The Master of Mankind, Ra Endymion's mother, summarily executed by Constantine Valdor himself for stealing the remnants of Terra's oceans. She is very incredulous about being killed over stealing water.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I always kind of liked the almost certainly no longer canon idea that the Emperor is in fact a gestalt entity composed of every human psyker in earth who conducted some crazy ritual.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

MariusLecter posted:

In The Master of Mankind, Ra Endymion's mother, summarily executed by Constantine Valdor himself for stealing the remnants of Terra's oceans. She is very incredulous about being killed over stealing water.
She also thinks the Emperor is a Dark Age superweapon

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Sometimes the Emperor remembers his past one way, sometimes another.

If he's going to have a past, he wants it to be multiple choice.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Black Library have all the books back on sale. I got myself Plague Wars because I am a sucker for the new lore warhammer

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MrNemo posted:

I always kind of liked the almost certainly no longer canon idea that the Emperor is in fact a gestalt entity composed of every human psyker in earth who conducted some crazy ritual.

Yeah one of the my favourite potential backstories was a bunch of prehistoric shamans seeing the future and then committing a mass suicide ritual to create the big E to pool all their power together to save humankind or w/e. Feels suitably mythical. He could have later been a dark ave superweapon

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SardonicTyrant posted:

She also thinks the Emperor is a Dark Age superweapon

Talks about the Big E like he's some kind of toaster oven that got out of it's box and Valdor is a loving idiot for taking orders from it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

MariusLecter posted:

Talks about the Big E like he's some kind of toaster oven that got out of it's box and Valdor is a loving idiot for taking orders from it.
It's pretty funny how no one actually likes Valdor. He's one of the best warriors in the entire Imperium and he's about as interesting as plain toast.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Even valdor doesn't really like valdor, he's pretty much just someone who it's not only boring but has a total lack of ego. Like, he recognises it's his greatest shortcoming but he isn't really bothered by it provided he can serve the Emperor. Except for every now and again he tries to make a friend and Russ or the High lord is just 'gently caress off valdor, no one likes you'.

Even the other custodes are more in awe of him in an intellectual sense than actually finding him inspiring. Poor valdor.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Imagine how attacked you'd feel for finding out which 40k character you relate to the most in this way.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Ruinous Saturnine spoiler speculation follows: though I havent yet had a chance to read Saturnine, I did check out the spoilers. At first I didn't care for the big reveals, but the more I thought about it the more it seemed to me that the old shaman origin is just being shifted forward. While the old lore had the Emperor being created by shamans, it seems like GW is positioning things so that the gestalt merger takes place in the 'present' of 30k and uses perpetuals rather than shamans.

My pet theory is that after the Emperor is killed by Horus the remaining perpetuals use up their immortality to lock him in a state of half death to forestall an outright victory for Chaos. That might even be what burns out Malcador on the golden throne, since we've already seen that the webway portal can be held open temporarily with nothing but regular psykers.

It nearly explains where the perpetuals went, and why GW introduced them at all; and dovetails with the old origin story.

But like I said I haven't actually read Saturnine because of the stupid release schedule, so who knows. I mostly like the theory because it gives the otherwise out of place perpetuals a point in the setting.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
One constant callback I'm liking in the Horus Heresy is that everyone loves Ignace Karsky's poems.

In the 63rd fleet stories he kind of seems like a washed up dipshit but everyone seems to love him back on Terra and on the other fleets.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Yo what is the name of the Necron book you boys keep referring to? Is it by Mike Brooks?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Miguel Prado posted:

Yo what is the name of the Necron book you boys keep referring to? Is it by Mike Brooks?

Mike Brooks did the really good Navigator book Rites of Passage. I don't know of any Necron POV books that are already out, but there is one coming later this year.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Severed by Nate Crowley? I picked it up today.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Slightly outside the 40K zone but if you liked Crowley's stuff, you should read his book "The Death And Life Of Scheider Wrack". It's about the zombie crew of a gigantic fishing vessel revolting against their masters, and what they do afterwards.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
The Outcast Dead was never a book I would tell anyone about after having read the hardcover version, and then re-reading it as an ebook during my second way through the Horus Heresy after I got a Kindle two years later.

The audiobook, however, is read by Jonathan Keeble, and it's actually loving riveting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Dangit, totally forgot about Navigator book today. Ah well. Next time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mythicknight posted:

so I guess I'm picking up some omnibusses; $200 for a single book on Amazon what the christ is going on with that.

I've heard two theories. One is that it's pricing bots bidding each other up. The other is that it takes time and/or money to de- and then re-list things that go in and out of stock unpredictably, so vendors just jack the price up when it's out of stock and then bring it back to a reasonable price when they have it. This also 2keeps them in the search results while its out of stock.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The bot one is super obvious when it's things like 10+ year old action figures that will never come into stock again. They're just going "well if you'll pay X then you'll pay X+1!" over and back forever, always trying not to be the cheapest price.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So what are good off-site 40k lore discussion places besides the 40k lore subreddit in case this really is the end of days?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

D-Pad posted:

So what are good off-site 40k lore discussion places besides the 40k lore subreddit in case this really is the end of days?

Don't worry, Cawl will just implement Primaris Something Awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

D-Pad posted:

The acolyte discord is good I can find a link?