Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

flatluigi posted:

comics don't stop being comics just because an asian person drew it

No, but the genre conventions, tropes and sensibilities are quite different. It's not surprising that One Punch Man is an oft cited example of a "good" Manga in this thread, seeing as it is a love letter not only to tokusatsu, but also western comics.

As someone who does reads both, "funny panels" do tend to present pretty differently in western comics and manga. Dungeon Gourmet or whatever is only funny if you've established that the main dude is an eccentric who more or less on a whim becomes obsessed with the idea that monsters can be eaten, ostensibly to be frugal, but maybe because it just fascinates him. You also have to establish that this is unheard of in this world, and you have to have some understanding of the clown/straight man dynamic between him and the woman adventurer, as well as think that sort of manzai style reaction or straightfaced punchline is funny. It is understandable to be dumbfounded by one or two pages from the middle of this manga.

If there are enough people who don't get manga, have no interest in trying to get into it, and will unfailingly make this known to the rest of the thread every time one is posted... Make it an informal rule not to? Or change the title to the western funny panel thread or something?

thotsky fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm sorry the humor of the unknowable oriental disturbs you or whatever, but comics are comics and this is the comics sub-forum. People loudly declaring they just don't understand manga seem to be the actual problem and maybe should just ignore those posts instead of performatively decrying the idea of comics that read the wrong way much like I don't post multiple paragraphs about how single panels from comics of the 1950's being posted out of context are the opposite of comedy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thotsky posted:

No, but the genre conventions, tropes and sensibilities are quite different. It's not surprising that One Punch Man is an oft cited example of a "good" Manga in this thread, seeing as it is a love letter not only to tokusatsu, but also western comics.

As someone who does reads both, "funny panels" do tend to present pretty differently in western comics and manga. Dungeon Gourmet or whatever is only funny if you've established that the main dude is an eccentric who more or less on a whim becomes obsessed with the idea that monsters can be eaten, ostensibly to be frugal, but maybe because it just fascinates him. You also have to establish that this is unheard of in this world, and you have to have some understanding of the clown/straight man dynamic between him and the woman adventurer, as well as think that sort of manzai style reaction or straightfaced punchline is funny. It is understandable to be dumbfounded by one or two pages from the middle of this manga.

If there are enough people who don't get manga, have no interest in trying to get into it, and will unfailingly make this known to the rest of the thread every time one is posted... Make it an informal rule not to? Or change the title to the western funny panel thread or something?

How Wonderful! posted:

1) manga panels are welcome in the Funny/Badass/Touching/Etc. Panels threads so long as they don't contain untagged NSFW or creepy stuff. Out of courtesy please keep in mind that most BSS readers may have less background knowledge about many mangas than they would about, say, Batman or the X-Men or From Hell or whatever, so consider thinking about if the panels you want to post make sense or have much impact to a complete newcomer to the text, and provide context accordingly.

Posts along the lines of "manga sucks," "reading right to left is bad," etc. are not productive and not welcome. Because they have been such a consistent issue across these threads, moving forwards they're going to warrant an immediate 12-hour probe.

Please do feel free to criticize individual scenes that you don't like or find incomprehensible or whatever, but blanket generalizations about an entire medium are as unwelcome in referring to Japanese comics as they would be about cape comics or Euro comics or newspaper comics or anything else. One of the cool things about this subforum is its potential to expose people who like one kind of comic to really diverse examples of the form, and that kind of extremely broad cultural dismissal is unhelpful.

Probably not a good idea to rehash this in this thread,.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
The next time someone complains about manga in this thread I'm going to make it my mission to respond to every single superhero panel by complaining about the lack of context and how I don't understand the joke because I don't know who this 'bats-man' is.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

thotsky posted:

There is in fact a formal rule to not do that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It would be good if you could post where the panels came from instead of just dumping images into a post.

It would also be good if you could give direction on L>R or R>L if the images are manga. It usually isn’t needed but sometimes is.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

thotsky posted:

Right, but like 90% of jokes about Batman are only funny if you have an existing understanding that Batman is a grim, stoic no-nonsense type. I've never read Delicious in Dungeon, and I don't read much manga, but I found most of the panels posted in here pretty enjoyable once I picked up the (pretty simple) context.

I do agree that it couldn't hurt to set up some context before posting manga panels (if they require it), just because it helps to smooth the waters. Like, the Mashle shark pages were sort of perplexing because I think you need the context that like, the shark is a wizard and the muscular guy is pretending to be a wizard but is actually just very strong, and they're having some kind of magical contest, before it's funny. But by the same token you'd need to know, like, "the guy in the red trunks is a superhero who's a really big deal, he's world famous, and here he is doing something incongruous given his station and reputation!" before a lot of Superman panels become funny.

It's not really a manga issue so much as the general audience here having a strong existing understanding of the characters and setting of DC and Marvel books that help jokes from them land without a lot of explanation. Thor doing something mundane and down-to-earth doesn't land unless you know that Thor is an Asgardian god, Wolverine having a romantic history with Squirrel Girl isn't a coherent joke unless you know the history of both characters, etc.

tl:dr; manga's all good, it's the same medium just in black and white, and people just need to be more open to picking up the context. It also couldn't hurt for posters to explain that context a little, though, especially if it's complicated. That said, I think the visceral reaction some posters have historically had to mangaposting has been really disproportionate, and based more on a reflexive dislike of the unfamiliar than anything else.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Catfishenfuego posted:

The next time someone complains about manga in this thread I'm going to make it my mission to respond to every single superhero panel by complaining about the lack of context and how I don't understand the joke because I don't know who this 'bats-man' is.

Intentionally being a dick seems like the wrong way to go about this

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
For a good example, that spiderman and loki panel doesn't appear to be funny to me in any way whatsoever. He thinks hot dogs are iconic to new york and loki doesn't I guess? Is there meant to be a joke there or something?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Catfishenfuego posted:

For a good example, that spiderman and loki panel doesn't appear to be funny to me in any way whatsoever. He thinks hot dogs are iconic to new york and loki doesn't I guess? Is there meant to be a joke there or something?

Yeah, this is a good look, you should stick with it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"oh no someone pooped in the thread. I'd better poop here to stop them."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Catfishenfuego posted:

You really don't need to do this.

Jordan7hm posted:

It would be good if you could post where the panels came from instead of just dumping images into a post.

It would also be good if you could give direction on L>R or R>L if the images are manga. It usually isn’t needed but sometimes is.

Yes, this would help.

I do think that it helps to step back and realize that many of very quickly parse jokes about Spider-Man or the Penguin or whoever because we've internalized decades of familiarity with the characters and the styles in which their stories are told. We all know Batman's origin, we all know that Superman has x-ray vision. We may not have that reflexive cultural fluency with manga, which doesn't make manga better or worse, but does mean that it may demand more effort from us as readers. I think it's fair to recognize that effort when posting manga panels by providing more helpful information and context, but it's also fair to not take it out on an entire distinct culture of artistic production if you don't know who Goku is and can't be bothered to read two sentences of explanation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The only thing I know about Goku is that Superman could absolutely, definitely beat him in a fight.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

How Wonderful! posted:

You really don't need to do this.

That was a joke I'm far too lazy to do that.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

The Legend of Koizumi is a satirical seinen (meaning targeted to late-teen to early 30's men) that explores the premise that instead of realpolitik, diplomacy is handled via games of mahjong between world leaders. It eventually leads to this (read R>L):

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

The only thing I know about Goku is that Superman could absolutely, definitely beat him in a fight.

Get out of my store

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Get out of my store

YOU DONT HAVE A STORE ANYMORE YOU GOT A JOB THAT PAID YOU A DECENT SALARY
AND DIDNT MAKE YOU HATE HUMANITY QUITE AS MUCH AND I THINK A WIFE AT SOME POINT SO gently caress YOU I WON

wait

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dimestore Merlin posted:

The Legend of Koizumi is a satirical seinen (meaning targeted to late-teen to early 30's men) that explores the premise that instead of realpolitik, diplomacy is handled via games of mahjong between world leaders. It eventually leads to this (read R>L):

OK, now that's funny.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I'm a big fan of "funny panels" regardless of origin or context, personally. Less a fan of "funny 3+ pages that only make sense given context that we aren't given", also regardless of origin. Happens with western comics too - like, I know the main pantheon of superheroics, but I don't know much about less famous characters like Booster Gold or The Falcon or whatever (not calling out any specific instance here, just grabbing names off the top of my head).

So I can laugh about Superman eating a typewriter because it's ridiculous, or Batman scowling while wearing a ridiculous hat, or Goku fighting some big alien monster through Connect 4 or what have you because all of that is requires big-picture knowledge. I'm not gonna understand three pages of, I dunno, Vulcan driving a truck? Gon Freaks eating a cake? At least unless someone explains that "Vulcan's secondary mutation makes him able to drive a truck super well, but only while eating ghost peppers" or " Gon had his Hunter License revoked for stealing 40 cakes" or whatever.

Anyway I like this thread even if I don't always understand what's funny about the content. Providing context would be cool in those cases, otherwise I'll just move on and not make a thing about it usually.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah usually if it doesnt hit in a quick easy to tell bite, you might want to post it over in the 'check out this cool manga' thread.

If we still have forums in the future. :v

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It would be real cool if anytime people complain about the manga panels someone didn't then immediately imply they're racist. If you post panels that don't loving suck people won't complain.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I'm sorry the humor of the unknowable oriental disturbs you or whatever, but comics are comics and this is the comics sub-forum.

Yeah this is the kind of shitposting I'm talking about.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 24, 2020

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah this is the kind of shitposting I'm talking about.

Maybe people shouldn’t request this be a western comics only thread and generally post poo poo that’s a little bit racist, every goddamn time comics from Japan show up in this thread.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

These panels are from the bodycount comics btw.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mystery Men Comics #6 (1940)

The Fantastic Four #6 (1962)

What If? #23 (1980)

Scarlet Spider #18 (2013)

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Star Spangled Kid 1 (Sylvester Pemberton) has an aggressive style.

All-Star Comics 58, January 1976

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

How Wonderful! posted:

Thank you Manuel Calavera, I always knew you were a hero.

"Cincinnati chili" is kind of weird, but I love it more than almost any other food on Earth. It's kind of weird for a chili-- more of a soup than a stew, more bean-y than beef-y, and seasoned to be dark and sweet with stuff like cloves, sometimes dark chocolate, nutmeg, and cinnamon (I also splash in a little strong coffee when I make it at home).

It was introduced by a Macedonian immigrant in the 20s and to be sure in a lot of ways it has more in common with stuff like saltsa kima with its very very Mediterranean spice profile, and was initially just a topping for hot dogs before taking off as a topping for pasta. You'll often get it served additionally with cheddar cheese, diced onion, and oyster crackers (since the consistency is so thin and the broth is so tasty).

Today I think most people associate it with an Ohio chain, Skyline Chili, which I'm led to believe is not very good and is the source of most pictures of like, a teeny tiny bowl of chili surmounted by 18 pounds of cheese. I used to make Cincinnati chili all the time because it cooked up in big batches easily and was simple to make vegetarian (since the beef is doing relatively little of the work) but I found that it was a harder sell on Midwestern friends since they'd all come to associate it with kind of gross chain fast food.

It can be a really delicious, soothing meal if you approach it right and clear your mind of any preconceptions about what chili is (I legit think it would be a more popular dish if it was just called something else). Here's my grandma's recipe for it-- you can easily swap the beef for fake beef crumbles, roughly torn tofu, or even chopped mushrooms. She also notoriously forgot to write down anything about the beans, which has passed down through the generations I guess (although reading into it now it appears that beans are traditionally an optional extra?). Just put in a decent amount of dark red kidney beans. When my mom copied it down she also took out the dark chocolate because she was a diet fan but I usually put it back in. I like to put in some coffee as well and maybe a few dashes of whatever hot sauce is out.

Seriously, THANK YOU for this explanation.

I looked at the picture of the two hot dogs and thought that was just a bunch of shredded cheese piled on them. Then I looked up what "two-way chili" is because in my 41 years on this Earth I'd never heard of it. It struck me as abject culinary madness to put chili on pasta. What monster does that? Then, though, you explained that it's really not chili in the conventionally-recognized sense and is instead some bizarre offshoot, so it's at least not a crime against food and God to top pasta with it. I may actually try to make it and then see if I can somehow make a fusion of the two. I think the dark chocolate is an interesting ingredient and I'm curious to see what it would add, likewise for the coffee.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Ah, Ambush Bug #1, how I love you!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Maybe people shouldn’t request this be a western comics only thread and generally post poo poo that’s a little bit racist, every goddamn time comics from Japan show up in this thread.

Just don't post lovely loving manga with no context. The house husband sit is great and keep posting that, weird mahjong death games either shouldn't be posted or need some more god damned context.

And regardless of country of origin, if you need to post five pages for one joke to work you shouldn't be posting it in the funny panels thread, but it's especially annoying if you also have to read the panels in the opposite direction all of western comics uses.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

This is covered in two consecutive rules:

How Wonderful! posted:

I want to set a few unspoken rules about the "Post <X> Panels" threads (mostly) down in here so there's a clear reference to point to--

1) manga panels are welcome in the Funny/Badass/Touching/Etc. Panels threads so long as they don't contain untagged NSFW or creepy stuff. Out of courtesy please keep in mind that most BSS readers may have less background knowledge about many mangas than they would about, say, Batman or the X-Men or From Hell or whatever, so consider thinking about if the panels you want to post make sense or have much impact to a complete newcomer to the text, and provide context accordingly.

Posts along the lines of "manga sucks," "reading right to left is bad," etc. are not productive and not welcome. Because they have been such a consistent issue across these threads, moving forwards they're going to warrant an immediate 12-hour probe.

Please do feel free to criticize individual scenes that you don't like or find incomprehensible or whatever, but blanket generalizations about an entire medium are as unwelcome in referring to Japanese comics as they would be about cape comics or Euro comics or newspaper comics or anything else. One of the cool things about this subforum is its potential to expose people who like one kind of comic to really diverse examples of the form, and that kind of extremely broad cultural dismissal is unhelpful.

2) Try to stick to seven consecutive pages as an upper limit for scans. I'm occasionally guilty of posting stuff that's way too long but in general moving forward treat anything above seven as really exceptional.

You don't need to know a ton of context to know that the mahjong pages are nominally funny because of the contrast between a somewhat slow and fussy boardgame and very energetic, exaggerated faces and composition in the same way that I don't need to know anything about the ninja turtles to have a little smile at a panel of the one with the red banana making a weird, interesting face. Whether or not they are actually funny is, you know, up to you, I don't really think photoshopped images of Jughead saying "boner" or whatever are very funny but people like them so I just keep scrolling.

And five pages is for sure not a "panel" but the rule of thumb around here is seven pages, specifically to give people to let scenes breathe and make room for context. For better or for worse these threads are still called "Post <x> Panels" but they've functionally been for posting entire pages or sequences and it's been this way for years.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

How Wonderful! posted:

I don't really think photoshopped images of Jughead saying "boner" or whatever are very funny but people like them so I just keep scrolling.
the title of the thread isn't "Funny Comic Panels only! Yes edits!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

the title of the thread isn't "Funny Comic Panels only? No; edits!"

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Mr Show’s Bob and David, and Brian Posehn, from X-Statix

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And thats when Bob gave up comedy and went to law school.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Comics is comics no matter where in the world they were produced, shut up nerds.
(Read right to left)
From Fist of The North Star.
The series can be capital S serious, but it also has these little moments of violent slapstick that kill me every time.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Silver Spoon is a slice of life manga about an overachieving high schools student who has a breakdown and decides to go to an agricultural school to escape. It’s full of drama, humor, the difficulties of farming in modern times and pro wrestling.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hiromi Arakawa, is a masterful artist and writer and genuinely one of the best in the business. The fact she can make both Fullmetal Achemist (the good one and one of the few stories of that type I ever feel had a genuinely satisfying conclusion) and Silver Spoon (a manga about farming and awkward teenage romance) and both are spectacular are awesome.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Vincent posted:

From Fist of The North Star.
The series can be capital S serious, but it also has these little moments of violent slapstick that kill me every time.

I watched a lot of the old TV series earlier in the year and it had a bunch of unexpected humor in it as well

https://twitter.com/Kenshiro28/status/903982201477455877?s=20

Punches through a wall and drags a bad guy face first through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Hiromi Arakawa, is a masterful artist and writer and genuinely one of the best in the business. The fact she can make both Fullmetal Achemist (the good one and one of the few stories of that type I ever feel had a genuinely satisfying conclusion) and Silver Spoon (a manga about farming and awkward teenage romance) and both are spectacular are awesome.

Ah, I knew that artstyle looked familiar.

Anyway, Spider-Ham #5: Mojo (who, in case you didn't know, is a villain who exists to attempt to put heroes into TV shows) has captured Spider-Ham but he keeps breaking out of the various simulations Mojo puts him in.

(Spider-Ham is dressed as Peter Griffin because the issue starts with an extended Family Guy parody but I don't want to post the whole issue) Anyway, he's also captured every other hero and villain from Ham's world...