Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

if you want to know how the ccp is 'lifting people out of poverty' these days:

before

after

another view of these 'new villages':

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Antonymous posted:

The great leap forward was cancelled once its effects were undeniable and Mao resigned as head of government, though he stayed head of the CCP and attempted to silence serious criticism and blame of him, which failed, and ultimately he stepped away from governance under the pressure of this critical failure. The attitudes toward the failures of the great leap forward were serious and it was not ignored as 'breaking some eggs'. The party was horrified at what had happened.

edit: The first five years Mao was in power were very successful in most of their objectives, the party and Mao's leadership had become pretty well established. The economy stabilized after years of instability and bungling under the KMT, incomes rose 9% a year, agriculture collectivized and grew 4% a year, industry 20% a year during the first five year plan. The great leap forward, the name of the second five year plan, probably looked like a logical next step, emboldened by their success. It wasn't conducted out of malice.

The CCP was, actually, good[1]

[1]The CCP

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

[1]The CCP

ah, yeah, very insightful - you completely upended the history books here

where can I read more of your work

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Antonymous posted:

ah, yeah, very insightful - you completely upended the history books here

where can I read more of your work

Keep posting and I'll keep replying, genocide supporter

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
A great leap for a country, a small one for mankind.

"70% good, 30% bad."

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
This is sadder than all the times the CCP tried to cross the Taiwan strait combined.

For those just joining us this is what you have to look forward to on party-controlled off-sites. I don't mean off-site like SA might stay around I mean they are sites where people are off and should be turned off.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 25, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
also what's the term for the opposite of a sex tourist, where you live in a multicultural nation of immigrants and their descendents who freely give their phone numbers

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

Keep posting and I'll keep replying, genocide supporter

I didn't support anything? Those are facts. The great leap forward was a huge blunder, that's what I was talking about. It was so undeniably bad and had repercussions.

Besides, this is the thread where we discuss if China is hiding mass death via virus, or hiding impending mass death via dam, or hiding mass death internment camps because, well, drat I just cant stop talking about people who don't look like me being dead. You're dong so much good work, really helping people, by pretending to have empathy for them.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

WarpedNaba posted:

Vital infrastructure? I guess a railroad from the mines to the port would count.

Colonialism sucks no matter who's doing it

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
We cancelled it, as soon as the effects became undeniable.

There may have been cases of cannibalism and postapolcalyptic raiders in awesome, homemade bamboo vehicles. Remember hogrider! Mao stepped down and went back to washing his dick in virgins and spreading veneral disease.

Then nothing happened at all for a couple of years or decades, everything was prosperous and happy.

Later:

Haier and Chaoshan Girl at Shenzhen. Their prosperity lifted. Her arms are wide.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Posts like that make me sad to realize it's true what they say, SA is dying and most of the good posters have left, and GBS? Well, that's not where you're going to find their best, is it.

Just incoherent nonsense, really.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I just wanted to post that the party would be horrified if it only knew what was going on, of course no malice. Brother No. 1 (Xi) means well, his thoughts are pure. The Great Leap Forward has only recently been found to be an issue, back then there was no way of knowing because the concept of "feedback" had not been invented yet. We are truley sorry for any lots.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
RE: getting people out of poverty, someone I know from Lijiang said that the government of Daju township, close to Tiger Leaping Gorge, built a load of townhouses for people to live in, but they built them over the fields. Now these people have nice houses (to look at from the outside) but they have no way of growing crops or making an income apart from moving out to Lijiang or Shangri-la or Kunming or wherever. So basically the place is now empty. I expect a similar story is playing out across many parts of the country.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Antonymous posted:

I didn't support anything? Those are facts. The great leap forward was a huge blunder, that's what I was talking about. It was so undeniably bad and had repercussions.

Besides, this is the thread where we discuss if China is hiding mass death via virus, or hiding impending mass death via dam, or hiding mass death internment camps because, well, drat I just cant stop talking about people who don't look like me being dead. You're dong so much good work, really helping people, by pretending to have empathy for them.

Yes, they're doing all of those things, and here you are speaking in support of them. I have no idea what kind of point you're trying to make with this post, or why you find it so hard to believe that someone would feel empathy for the victims of these massive, state-run crimes. That's a really cynical outlook. How did you get to this point?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Devils Affricate posted:

[1]The CCP

Devils Affricate posted:

Lmao if you think China is doing African infrastructure projects as charity. Seriously man, you're not just drinking the kool aid, you're straight up guzzling it.

And I'm pretty sure average life expectancy went down in the decades after Mao took over and started murdering/starving millions of people. But hey, can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs right? Now if only those pesky Uighurs would hurry up and disappear.

Look at how salty you are for being shown categorically wrong lmao

Life expectancy crumbled during the mid 19th century and only started to rise after the stabilization provided by the CCP, who i never said were flauless, on the contrary, but they did make the highest historical improvement in life conditions in history of mankind in a single generation.

The fact that China's worst crimes are "they're doing things that euros and yanks have been doing for centuries in africa!" is hilarious. China builds education camps to deal with a fundamentalist sect in a far corner of china and no concrete evidence shows particular grievious mistreatment? It's a genocide! Look at how awful the chinese treat the muslims!

Kill three million Iraqis and Afghanis and the murderers go on to be Congressmembers? What a healthy democracy!

China isn't perfect, but they're taking people out of poverty, erasing debt on african nations and doing, at the very least, media friendly actions about global warming. The US can't do a single of these things even though they're much richer and nominally a democracy?

Maybe the evil CCP is quite milquetoast.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People frothing at the mouth, incapable of realizing that China is just a standard industrialized global power instead of Nazi Germany.

At some point it's just easier to admit you just hate that your empire is reaching it's zenith?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

oohhboy posted:

How about gently caress you assholes for years of harassment. You just couldn't let go and took a joke years too far. gently caress you.

"... and all the thread regulars and ex-lurkers will look up and shout: 'Post the suit!'

And I'll look down and whisper: 'No.'"

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Mans posted:

China builds education camps to deal with a fundamentalist sect in a far corner of china and no concrete evidence shows particular grievious mistreatment? It's a genocide! Look at how awful the chinese treat the muslims!

I’m sympathetic to the point that China is not as bad as the US and there are aspects of it that are good (particularly before 2012-2013) but as somebody who lives in the country and has had Uighur friends, this simply disgusts me.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Tankies leaking into the thread? Unpossible

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Mans posted:

Life expectancy crumbled during the mid 19th century and only started to rise after the stabilization provided by the CCP, who i never said were flauless, on the contrary, but they did make the highest historical improvement in life conditions in history of mankind in a single generation.
When you're coming from rock bottom, big improvement isn't hard. Losing 100 lbs when you weigh 300 is an accomplishment. When you weigh 1500, not so much. Likewise, upping your life expectancy from loving 40 is low hanging fruit. And no, I still don't believe for one second that quality of life improved during the great famine and the great leap forward. Calamitous events characterized by misery and death. You've got to be kidding me.

Mans posted:

The fact that China's worst crimes are "they're doing things that euros and yanks have been doing for centuries in africa!" is hilarious. China builds education camps to deal with a fundamentalist sect in a far corner of china and no concrete evidence shows particular grievious mistreatment? It's a genocide! Look at how awful the chinese treat the muslims!
What a surprise, the guy who was earlier fantasizing about tanks rolling into HK just so they can murder SA forums goons that he disagrees with is now defending Uighur genocide. Keep it classy, dude.

Mans posted:

Kill three million Iraqis and Afghanis and the murderers go on to be Congressmembers? What a healthy democracy!
Feel free to call me out when you see me posting in defense of the US government. Until then, you're leaning on whataboutism.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://i.imgur.com/Pa2WFCq.mp4

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
why engage the garbage?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

load bearing mortar joints

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

jenga, hardcore

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Rinkles posted:

why engage the garbage?

Because the garbage, above all else, strives to be contagious and thus needs to be shut down wherever it's encountered. It's the same with Nazism. It's morally wrong to just shrug your shoulders and let the bullshit pass.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Hey mans, Its 2020 not 1820 you vulgar fascist.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
As an avid lurker in these threads. I'm guessing the spike in tanky posting has to do with the whole link from the sticky in Cspamm to the Lowtax's wife beaters merch store and since this general thread is in the same cluster of threads as that thread, it's no surprise that they wanted to take part in a little tourism. Sorry for further derailing.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Got to see the behind the scenes magic in a restaurant's kitchen today

The kids dont work there, they just hang out I guess. Happy dragon boat festival everyone!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think the thing to be said is really that the entire country is composed of capitalist roaders and they have instituted capitalism in detail, including every single problem of oligarchal capitalism

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
believing that deng xiaopings commitment to using a capitalist period to spring all historical materially into communism will be honored is basically of the same sort of statement as believing that the US is a free and fair democracy cuz the oligarchs say it is

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

believing that deng xiaopings commitment to using a capitalist period to spring all historical materially into communism will be honored is basically of the same sort of statement as believing that the US is a free and fair democracy cuz the oligarchs say it is

China is a communist country cuz the oligarchs say it is.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
China needs more Maoism

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
there's been a disproportionate number of China related meltdowns on SA, I can think of at least four or five. I'd say its bizarre, but I actually don't think it is, lol

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
China, the projection surface of a great many things.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Hi what up

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lowtax beats women, cspam kids are running away

as a cspam kid who dislikes china for being ruled by plutocrats, i can run but dinno about yall

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrainDance posted:

Of all the things to feel harassed about... Why does it even matter? If the worse thing people say to you in a given day is "post the suit" that sounds alright.

I never ragged on you cuz I don't care but, why not just post the loving suit? Top 10 redemption arc right there bam it's done.

You don't get it. When people throw something at you for years it doesn't matter how innocuous it is. That's what harassment is. The individual thinks they are being funny or it is harmless but never considers the collective impact. As expected addressing it makes it worse. Even after being told to knock it off they still don't get the message.

Redemption arc? This isn't a movie. I have seen what happens once it goes negative.

The Great Autismo! posted:

I do kinda feel bad about buying you that avatar lol

I forgive you.

In other news the US is harassing China with 3 Air Carriers.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

China is legalist, but without the government accountability. Communism with Chinese Characteristics is a code phrase for a return to the tradition of the Qin.

These people are idiots getting face cultured. Having absolutely no real experience with China, it sometimes boils down to an inability to properly unencode communications from a high-context society. They'll lap up gutter oil from CCP news sources downstream and comment about how it's good for healthy.

These tankies are obsessed with the CCP only on a surface level. Ask them to summarize the 6 philosophies of the paramount leaders, and how each affected China and they'd be at a loss for words. These twitterbrains only like China because they think it's edgy and different. They are the reactionaries they claim to hate. Their politics is performative, a means to an end for their aesthetic and desire to ~be special~. They don't give a poo poo about China. They just read a twitter thread written by another reactionary tankie about how genocide of ethnic minorities is praxis. This is the entirety of their knowledge of China. Consuming tidbits of microblogs and news articles (in English of course) and patting themselves on the back for being so knowledgeable about the glorious workers utopia. 差不多!

Dont Touch ME fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 25, 2020

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

oohhboy posted:

You don't get it. When people throw something at you for years it doesn't matter how innocuous it is. That's what harassment is. The individual thinks they are being funny or it is harmless but never considers the collective impact. As expected addressing it makes it worse. Even after being told to knock it off they still don't get the message.

Redemption arc? This isn't a movie. I have seen what happens once it goes negative.

I forgive you.

In other news the US is harassing China with 3 Air Carriers.

Dude just admit it was a typo or it doesn't exist or something.

Or literally create a ublock filter to filter posts with the words "8 piece suit".

There are lots of options here to alleviate your suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also legalism never had govt accountability lol