Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

That’s a fantastic post. I will advocate for that silken tofu recipe. I basically know it off my heart and I make it all the time. Easy and delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarioLopez
Jan 21, 2010
I love this thread! Lately, I've been eating chickpea salad slot. It's made with chickpeas, vegan mayo, agave nectar, toasted pecans, red grapes, and diced Granny Smith. Make it into a sandwich with red onion and lettuce on thick 9-grain bread from my local bakery.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some recent vegan meals, which you may have seen in various other threads, but I like to post here too since it's kind of fun to have a running tally of all the various vegan meals one can eat and since some people say they like the posts:

Khatti meethi tinda (apple gourd) masala.

Onion parathas and cabbage parathas - flatbreads stuffed with onion or cabbage mixtures. Onion parathas are near the bottom of the picture but you can also tell which is which because you can see the onions in the onion parathas in a few places.

Moonphali wale karele ki sabzi, aka bitter gourd with peanuts.

Potatoes with green beans Punjabi style.

Vankaya ulli karam, aka eggplant stuffed with an onion paste.

Chawli ki phali & aloo sabzi, aka potatoes and green beans.

Stuffed bharwa tinda (apple gourd).

Bedmi aloo sabzi, aka potato soup. Or, as they put it in India, where soup does not exist, potatoes in gravy.

Aloo tamatar jhol, another soupy potato dish.

Aloo phulkopir chorchori, aka Bengali-style potatoes and cauliflower

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Made this: https://minimalistbaker.com/saucy-moroccan-spiced-lentils/

No idea what this recipe actually is, seems like it's just spiced lentils with koshari sauce, but it tastes good. I had it with ras el hanout couscous.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
No pics, but I was watching QI on Netflix and they gave vegan comedian Romesh Raganathan a sandwich which he scoffed at and said was insulting to give to a vegan. But then he ate it and said it was absolutely fantastic.

It was a toast sandwich - a slice of toast seasoned with salt and pepper and sandwiched between two slices of bread. I had to try it and weirdly....it’s really quite good. I’ve spruced it up a bit with cayenne pepper, olive oil and tomato sauce, plus lettuce and gherkins (and two slices of toast) and...I can’t believe I’m about to say this...the texture reminds me of a Big Mac. I haven’t missed meat but I have missed that texture and it hits the spot perfectly.

Anyway, I can highly recommend a toast sandwich (not a sentence I ever thought I’d say).

Edit: oh my god what if I fried the bread instead?!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
A fried slice sandwich sounds like it would be excellent on a hangover.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Zenithe posted:

Made this: https://minimalistbaker.com/saucy-moroccan-spiced-lentils/

No idea what this recipe actually is, seems like it's just spiced lentils with koshari sauce, but it tastes good. I had it with ras el hanout couscous.

Made this last week and i would make again. very good sauce

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Ful medamas is maybe my favorite breakfast in the world and it's vegan. Lots of variety there too in terms of what you add.

is there a viable substitute for fava beans in ful medames? because i have wanted to make it forever and the grocery stores around me do not stock fava beans in any form.

would i just be better off ordering some off amazon or something?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The lovely oven in my lovely apartment is busted, how's are air fryers for tofu?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

not_superiority posted:

is there a viable substitute for fava beans in ful medames? because i have wanted to make it forever and the grocery stores around me do not stock fava beans in any form.

would i just be better off ordering some off amazon or something?

You can of course make a mash out of other legumes as well, but I wouldn't consider it the same thing since fava beans have a pretty distinct earthy flavour. Note that there's different variants of them, the big pale ones have a lighter taste than the small brown ones

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ras Het posted:

You can of course make a mash out of other legumes as well, but I wouldn't consider it the same thing since fava beans have a pretty distinct earthy flavour. Note that there's different variants of them, the big pale ones have a lighter taste than the small brown ones

okay cool. i might try it with some great northerns since i have some of those in my pantry right now. there's other grocers in houston and a bunch of asian grocers, but with covid i don't know their hours. one day i'll have proper fava beans lol

Some Goon posted:

The lovely oven in my lovely apartment is busted, how's are air fryers for tofu?

air fryers do okay tofu, as long as you're shooting for nuggets or fried slabs

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Air fryer tofu owns. It will get crispier than in the oven. I cook it once a week.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Yup, I love air frying my tofu. I keep a lot of tofu on hand, and one of my favorite preparations is tearing up thawed tofu into strips/chunks, seasoning it with whatever I'm in the mood for that day, and air frying until it's almost chicken-like in texture. Very versatile!

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I wanted a new vegan sandwich topping and thought of trying out marinated mushrooms in that role. I just stuffed a bunch of sliced mushrooms in a 1 litre (~4 cup) mason jar, added a desilitre (1/2 cup) of olive oil, couple tablespoons of cider vinegar and a lot of assorted Mediterranean spices. A sliced clove or two of garlic and spring onions work well in the mix. Some soy or mushroom sauce brings more umami, chili flakes are also recommended. Mix all of that around a bit and let sit in the fridge overnight, after that put them on everything. Simple yet great :3:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Here's a good recipe:

Loa Gan Ma chilli sauce + literally anything

I''m alone for the week so I've basically been using leftovers veges cooked in that and served on rice. The black bean chilli sauce is even better imo.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

barbecue at the folks posted:

I wanted a new vegan sandwich topping and thought of trying out marinated mushrooms in that role. I just stuffed a bunch of sliced mushrooms in a 1 litre (~4 cup) mason jar, added a desilitre (1/2 cup) of olive oil, couple tablespoons of cider vinegar and a lot of assorted Mediterranean spices. A sliced clove or two of garlic and spring onions work well in the mix. Some soy or mushroom sauce brings more umami, chili flakes are also recommended. Mix all of that around a bit and let sit in the fridge overnight, after that put them on everything. Simple yet great :3:

I used to get essentially this as a snack at a bar near where I live, it was delicious and I always meant to get into the habit of making little batches to have at home.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

Here's a good recipe:

Loa Gan Ma chilli sauce + literally anything

I''m alone for the week so I've basically been using leftovers veges cooked in that and served on rice. The black bean chilli sauce is even better imo.

i use the black bean chili crisp on everything i can. i made some TVP/canned bean sprout patties because i was trying to use up some of the random leftover stuff in my pantry and the chili crisp made the meal.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

not_superiority posted:

i use the black bean chili crisp on everything i can. i made some TVP/canned bean sprout patties because i was trying to use up some of the random leftover stuff in my pantry and the chili crisp made the meal.

Sauce?

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

i didn't really use a recipe.

i had about a cup or so of TVP left in a bag, rehydrated it with vegetable broth per the instructions on the bag. added half an onion, diced fine (leftover from another dinner). mixed in the can of bean sprouts after i'd drained and untangled them a bit. threw in like 2-3 tablespoons or so of chili crisp. the mixture was a bit wet so i mixed in the tail end of a bag of panko, maybe half a cup. made 6 patties and pan fried them. ate one of them with rice and it was a good meal. they freeze well too.

i was struggling to find a use for the whole can of bean sprouts in a go. i couldn't find any information about how long they'd keep in the fridge if i only used part of a can.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

not_superiority posted:

i didn't really use a recipe.

i had about a cup or so of TVP left in a bag, rehydrated it with vegetable broth per the instructions on the bag. added half an onion, diced fine (leftover from another dinner). mixed in the can of bean sprouts after i'd drained and untangled them a bit. threw in like 2-3 tablespoons or so of chili crisp. the mixture was a bit wet so i mixed in the tail end of a bag of panko, maybe half a cup. made 6 patties and pan fried them. ate one of them with rice and it was a good meal. they freeze well too.

i was struggling to find a use for the whole can of bean sprouts in a go. i couldn't find any information about how long they'd keep in the fridge if i only used part of a can.

Sounds good; what about the chili crisp? Something like this? https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chile-crisp/

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

2 penny bottle imp posted:

Sounds good; what about the chili crisp? Something like this? https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chile-crisp/

Lao Gan Ma is a popular brand of chili oil with Szechuan peppers and is downright addictive. It does a lot more work in a dish than normal chili oil

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Mata posted:

Lao Gan Ma is a popular brand of chili oil with Szechuan peppers and is downright addictive. It does a lot more work in a dish than normal chili oil

Lan Gao Ma is the secret weapon to turn any vegetable from "good" to "HOLY poo poo"

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Mata posted:

I’m 99% sure there is no Szechuan pepper in the regular version.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Zenithe posted:

I’m 99% sure there is no Szechuan pepper in the regular version.

I was like 70% sure there was, so I went to the fridge and checked. The most basic "Crispy Chilli in oil" contains sichuan peppercorns, as do the black bean, tofu, et al variants. But they have a lot of other sauces as well.
For example their Toban Djan, which I picked up on a whim. I later found out it's sort of like a saltier chinese gochujang. Of the recipes I looked into, this one seemed the most promising. I did a trial run without roasting all the vegetables and procuring the black garlic, and the flavors seem to check out. I think I'll give it a go with the real ingredients soon

Mata fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 16, 2020

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Lan Gao Ma is the secret weapon to turn any vegetable from "good" to "HOLY poo poo"

bezos delivering a jar to my door as we speak

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Mata posted:

I was like 70% sure there was, so I went to the fridge and checked. The most basic "Crispy Chilli in oil" contains sichuan peppercorns, as do the black bean, tofu, et al variants.

I have regular and black bean, neither has pepper of any kind listed as an ingredient?

Regular : soybean oil chilli onion soybean salt sugar MSG, black bean has the same ingredients but slightly different order. Weird!

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
I am a Vegan chef. Recently I've learned how to make Pizza with (Biga) ask me your questions. (I need friends please)

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Zenithe posted:

I have regular and black bean, neither has pepper of any kind listed as an ingredient?

Regular : soybean oil chilli onion soybean salt sugar MSG, black bean has the same ingredients but slightly different order. Weird!

Probably listed as Prickly Ash powder

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

HK5000 posted:

I am a Vegan chef. Recently I've learned how to make Pizza with (Biga) ask me your questions. (I need friends please)

Go on.

(I suck at making great pizza dough, any suggestions welcome)

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Mango Polo posted:

Go on.

(I suck at making great pizza dough, any suggestions welcome)

I use the Joe Beddia dough recipe: https://www.inquirer.com/food/craig-laban/philly-chefs-recipes-pizza-cookbooks-home-cooking-family-kitchen-laban-20200320.html

Also, this is an excellent recipe for philly style tomato pie: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/homemade-philadelphia-tomato-pie-style-pizza-recipe.html

Just use earth balance or more olive oil instead of butter. And add 2 tbsp of tomato paste to the sauce because it needs a thickener. Leave off the Romano obviously. it’s not needed anyway.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HK5000 posted:

What do you put on it? I don't like the way most vegan cheeses melt.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Finally found some worthy bacon and fulfilled a BLT craving with these sandwiches

Lettuce grown in the garden, bannock made fresh just for the occasion. So good.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Rat posted:

Finally found some worthy bacon and fulfilled a BLT craving with these sandwiches

Lettuce grown in the garden, bannock made fresh just for the occasion. So good.

Oh nice; sans bacon a nice tomato mayo can fill the craving for a sandwich like this.

You have a recipe for that bannock?

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
Thanks vegan fanatics - this thread has inspired my wife & I to do an entire week of vegan dinners, using recipes from here and elsewhere around the web.

First up this week was beet & bean burgers (recipe from here). Sorry for the slightly shaky photo...I was really excited to eat this one.

All these vegan recipes are really making me consider getting a good food processor.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

not_superiority posted:

I love making breakfast rice with the black bean or mushroom ones. A blob of that with a bit of extra oil for lube, make hot, add rice, add mixed frozen veg - super simple, super easy, super tasty breakfast.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bollock Monkey posted:

I love making breakfast rice with the black bean or mushroom ones.

i had no idea there was a mushroom version, now i have to seek it out to add to my excessive condiment collection

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I wanted to give cooking with seitan another try so I made some little buffalo snacks for me and my wife this afternoon.

I think they were kind of ugly but really tasty!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Does anyone have a good vegan/vegetarian Kimchi recipe? I found an ok one on Minimalist baker, but I didn't know if there was other options I hadnt seen in the thread. I do like fishy flavors but have a shellfish allergy so it can be fraught for me.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Does anyone have a good vegan/vegetarian Kimchi recipe? I found an ok one on Minimalist baker, but I didn't know if there was other options I hadnt seen in the thread. I do like fishy flavors but have a shellfish allergy so it can be fraught for me.

The last time I made it I used Kenji's recipe https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/homemade-vegan-kimchi-recipe.html I think the miso worked fairly well, it gives a nice rounded savoriness.

Kenji's recipe diverges from traditional kimchi (as in the way it's most often prepared) in a few ways. One is the use of miso instead of fish sauce/shrimp paste for the umami flavor. Another is he did not use a rice flour paste in the gochugaru mixture. He also made the kimchi more like sauerkraut in that the napa cabbage is not rinsed after salting. That being said, when I've used that general outline (napa cabbage, miso, garlic, ginger, gochugaru, and chives prepared more like sauerkraut) I've like the results. But I can't compare it to traditional methods since I've never made it that way before.

If you do try out this recipe, I'll also note some things which need adjustment:

- Kenji calls for "1 large head napa cabbage ... about 1 pound total". I don't know what kind of napa cabbages that guy has been buying, but in no way is a large cabbage only 1 pound. Maybe 2-3 pounds. The about 1 cup water was just about right for a large head I think. The garlic may be a little too much, can't remember how much I used. Add the miso to taste, you may want a little more/less depending on your miso.
- For salt, it may just be better to weigh it out based on your cabbage weight. The general recommendation for kraut is 1.5-2% by weight of veggies. So add 2% the weight of your cabbage + radish, if using. When using brines it's 5% so last time I adjusted the salt content of the gochugaru paste (gochugaru, garlic, ginger, water, and miso) to be 5%. If you weigh it out there's no way for it to be too salty.
- The times I made it I just microplaned the garlic and ginger and didn't bother blending. Seemed to work fine, so if you don't have a blender or don't want to use one just do that.
- You can let it go for longer than a day on the counter. It's personal preference really. Kimchi is different from saurkraut in that kraut is fermented much longer at room temp.

Googling around, Hyosun from koreanbapsang.com (generally regarded to be a good source for Korean food) mentioned the use of kelp broth which sounded interesting. That may add in a little sea taste but I've never tried it before. Her recipe uses the traditional steps (rinsing the wilted cabbage and using rice flour paste) like I mentioned before, but I've never made her recipe so I can't say if it's good or not. https://www.koreanbapsang.com/vegan-kimchi/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Eeyo posted:

The last time I made it I used Kenji's recipe https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/homemade-vegan-kimchi-recipe.html I think the miso worked fairly well, it gives a nice rounded savoriness.

Kenji's recipe diverges from traditional kimchi (as in the way it's most often prepared) in a few ways. One is the use of miso instead of fish sauce/shrimp paste for the umami flavor. Another is he did not use a rice flour paste in the gochugaru mixture. He also made the kimchi more like sauerkraut in that the napa cabbage is not rinsed after salting. That being said, when I've used that general outline (napa cabbage, miso, garlic, ginger, gochugaru, and chives prepared more like sauerkraut) I've like the results. But I can't compare it to traditional methods since I've never made it that way before.

If you do try out this recipe, I'll also note some things which need adjustment:

- Kenji calls for "1 large head napa cabbage ... about 1 pound total". I don't know what kind of napa cabbages that guy has been buying, but in no way is a large cabbage only 1 pound. Maybe 2-3 pounds. The about 1 cup water was just about right for a large head I think. The garlic may be a little too much, can't remember how much I used. Add the miso to taste, you may want a little more/less depending on your miso.
- For salt, it may just be better to weigh it out based on your cabbage weight. The general recommendation for kraut is 1.5-2% by weight of veggies. So add 2% the weight of your cabbage + radish, if using. When using brines it's 5% so last time I adjusted the salt content of the gochugaru paste (gochugaru, garlic, ginger, water, and miso) to be 5%. If you weigh it out there's no way for it to be too salty.
- The times I made it I just microplaned the garlic and ginger and didn't bother blending. Seemed to work fine, so if you don't have a blender or don't want to use one just do that.
- You can let it go for longer than a day on the counter. It's personal preference really. Kimchi is different from saurkraut in that kraut is fermented much longer at room temp.

Googling around, Hyosun from koreanbapsang.com (generally regarded to be a good source for Korean food) mentioned the use of kelp broth which sounded interesting. That may add in a little sea taste but I've never tried it before. Her recipe uses the traditional steps (rinsing the wilted cabbage and using rice flour paste) like I mentioned before, but I've never made her recipe so I can't say if it's good or not. https://www.koreanbapsang.com/vegan-kimchi/

This looks really good and I want to make it. When you talk about the size discrepancy with Kenji's tiny cabbages, did you end up going with using "1 large head napa cabbage" or "about 1 pound total?"