Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

TerminalRaptor posted:

Strange how that seems to be a common theme with people who work with lowtax

yeah g0m has a text chain of lowtax not paying them for front page articles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
remember when logan was planning the new SA media empire and started out by telling everyone that they weren't going to pay for content to build the site?

then after that went in a predictable direction, lowtax stepped in and got mad at everyone for believing they weren't going to pay for content, because they've always paid for content. to their own detriment even, because those dang internet writers were just so darn flaky, they can't be trusted.

"we've always withheld payment from our content creators. for 20 years i've been running this site, it's always been like this."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Seconded strongly, this place is not even close to worst. I've been ripped off more than enough times to know a deadbeat client from a real one, and SA is a real client. There are delays sometimes but that's true in this kind of work even when there's not a global emergency going on.

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

it's forums software, michael, how complicated could it be?????

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

new media person explains the in-line and following ads I saw on the front page last week.

imagine thinking the solution to lack of income being ad placements in tyool 2020.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

DamnGlitch posted:

on the front page

on the what

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

aeflux posted:

it's forums software, michael, how complicated could it be?????

is there a reason the current software was never set to read-only and a new platform used with only a transfer of user account details? ive seen sites do that before to avoid wasting time and effort to bring years of threads over and still have them for reference

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

El Mero Mero posted:

I mean most members are either lurkers, buried into a few megathreads, or just here for some casual shitposts. It takes a lot of drama to spread out and reach most of the forums.

Also, this dumb gay forum has been taking a run at imploding once every 6 months now. It's p disappointing that the place that both made me an idiot edgelord in middle school and then undid that damage later (as everyone grew up or expelled the nazis) couldn't have any kind of positive impact on the site owner, who is clearly a terminal idiot who hurts people.

Hey I got this account when I was 13 years old (almost 25 now!) and I can attest that it has absolutely hosed up my personality and general outlook on life, and I'm sure yours too. All you can say is that you're not a wife-beating piece of poo poo on top of that (I hope)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

is there a reason the current software was never set to read-only and a new platform used with only a transfer of user account details? ive seen sites do that before to avoid wasting time and effort to bring years of threads over and still have them for reference

because effort and lowtax would have had to pay someone to do that, and i don't know if you've noticed a pattern here, but there may be some reticence on his part to pay people for things relating to the development of the something awful dot com forums

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

iirc lowtax had always been insistent that the archives/goldmine get moved over to any new platform for some reason. never understood why they didn’t just render that poo poo as flat files and move on, it’s not like we super need to know what anyone’s current username is if you’re reading a e/n thread from 2007

pram
Jun 10, 2001

infernal machines posted:

because effort and lowtax would have had to pay someone to do that, and i don't know if you've noticed a pattern here, but there may be some reticence on his part to pay people for things relating to the development of the something awful dot com forums

how many $200 apple pies a month must he sacrifice??

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

iirc lowtax had always been insistent that the archives/goldmine get moved over to any new platform for some reason. never understood why they didn’t just render that poo poo as flat files and move on, it’s not like we super need to know what anyone’s current username is if you’re reading a e/n thread from 2007

I feel like this has to do a lot with a certain era of forums culture that he can’t abandon for himself

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

it would actually be a marked improvement since the quote template bakes the username into the post and doesn't update when the sidebar does, so old threads become harder to read over time

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
we are taking about a guy who, after 20 years of running this site, has not managed to learn enough php and database programming to perform basic maintenance, much less actually improve things. an idiot.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
yeah that’s why i make my posts hard to read right off the bat

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lowtax is the fyad poster that can't be banned

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

The Management posted:

we are taking about a guy who, after 20 years of running this site, has not managed to learn enough php and database programming to perform basic maintenance, much less actually improve things. an idiot.

I think about this a lot. In the time I've been here I've gotten a bachelors and masters degree in computer science (not top 50 thou, shameful) and then spent 10 years or so in the industry. How long really would it have taken to just take a couple of programming courses and start dabbling? Especially with no concerns about money really, either directly from the forums or indirectly by being internet famous enough to pull down nearly 10k a month from patreon.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

lowtax last idea of improving the forum was to turn on all the annoying cloudflare scriptlets like auto refresh, I shudder to think what would have happened if he tried to write new forum code

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i dont know poo poo about php but i'm pretty sure i could have learned it with the kind of passive income dude's been making.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

The Management posted:

has not managed to learn enough php and database programming to perform basic maintenance, much less actually improve things. an idiot.

so here, in yospos, we're saying that a dude who successfully avoided touching computers for 20 years, and touching them with php nonetheless, is somehow an idiot?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

gentlemen,

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

point taken, but in our defense he is demonstrably an idiot for other reasons.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

point taken, but in our defense he is demonstrably an idiot for other reasons.

no contest there

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

rotor posted:

gentlemen,

ok but what if all our base belonged to us

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

rotor posted:

so here, in yospos, we're saying that a dude who successfully avoided touching computers for 20 years, and touching them with php nonetheless, is somehow an idiot?

20 years is plenty of time to learn elixr and then rewrite the forums in it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

yeah, uh, that was an odd point to make.

r u ready to WALK posted:

lowtax last idea of improving the forum was to turn on all the annoying cloudflare scriptlets like auto refresh, I shudder to think what would have happened if he tried to write new forum code

or, more recently, when he added some ad code that started injecting stuff all over the place for anyone not using an ad blocker, and didn't mention it to the admin

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

or, more recently, when he added some ad code that started injecting stuff all over the place for anyone not using an ad blocker, and didn't mention it to the admin

lowtax is the guy who thought adbot was a good idea

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

css innovations like breaking it by changing font sizes instead of zooming the page in on his home machine

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

really the list, unlike the forums, writes itself

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

or, also recently, when he decided to test the new forum-wide popup announcement feature by setting it to goatse

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

on the bright side, at least this whole mess isn't another reiserfs

really just different flavours of horrible though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

haveblue posted:

or, also recently, when he decided to test the new forum-wide popup announcement feature by setting it to goatse

i posted about a css thing he did with a guys head floating across the screen in gbs, laughing at how much he enjoyed trolling the userbase with random changes and he got real pissy about it

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Acer Pilot posted:

on the bright side, at least this whole mess isn't another reiserfs

really just different flavours of horrible though

yet

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

dude that is kind of a hosed up thing to say

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

truly, something awful

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
so f*cked up... and yet i cant stop laughing.. im going to hell for this..

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

DuckConference posted:

dude that is kind of a hosed up thing to say

yeah, but i really do worry about the safety of everyone involved and hope that they all turn out ok and get therapy

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
where's the part where someone tries to sell it to Verizon for its pageviews

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

just as soon as lowtax figures out how to roll back the post database two days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

just as soon as lowtax figures out how to roll back the post database two days

Why roll it back? Just show how much user engagement is rising (and not mention why)