Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I wish there was a way to tell my players most of my answers in press conferences are sarcastic or just plain lies

Like if I were ever actually managing a sports team of any kind, the very first thing I would tell my players in the first team meeting is "never, ever take anything I say to the press seriously."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Really struggling with Everton

Struggle to create chances and the team hate me. Didn't help that I forgot to alter my reputation at the beginning. So a pub footballer took over the team, no wonder they weren't happy.

Final straw was a 2-1 defeat at Crystal Palace, a team who are bottom and could not score at all until they faced me.

Is there anything I can do to retrieve the situation.? I would just abort it but it is an online game.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Don’t post Marco Silva’s blog itt

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Sad King Billy posted:

Really struggling with Everton

Struggle to create chances and the team hate me. Didn't help that I forgot to alter my reputation at the beginning. So a pub footballer took over the team, no wonder they weren't happy.

Final straw was a 2-1 defeat at Crystal Palace, a team who are bottom and could not score at all until they faced me.

Is there anything I can do to retrieve the situation.? I would just abort it but it is an online game.

Sometimes you're better off pulling your Defensive Line back and then just getting your players to hoof it upfield and get Walcott to run after it.
As for playing against defensive teams... eh, I think it is probably too hard in the game. I prefer to go full-press on their backline, but make sure I have a quick defense for the inevitable counter-attacks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

After years of experimentation, I think I have now successfully deciphered what the various shouts actually mean.

Encourage -> Get Complacent
Calm Down -> Stand Still and Watch
Get Creative -> Turn the Ball Over ASAP
Concentrate -> Concede
Tighten Up -> Loosen Up
Push Forward -> Go Offside
Demand More -> Get Carded

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
"Demand More" is actually "play better" and every other shout is "get upset and play worse"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Spamming Praise is good when your team is playing well and you don’t want them to suddenly gently caress the dog

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
"It would be beneficial to play Gamsgro in a more familiar position".
He's got 4 assists, you moron, he's staying where he is.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Mash posted:

"Demand More" is actually "play better" and every other shout is "get upset and play worse"

I'm convinced that "don't get complacent" actually means "immediately gently caress up and concede a goal"

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

kingturnip posted:

"It would be beneficial to play Gamsgro in a more familiar position".
He's got 4 assists, you moron, he's staying where he is.

He might have had 7 if you were playing him in a more familiar position, fuckwit.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

grvm posted:

Tried to boot up a save from fm2013 and found it's corrupted. The nightmares keep compounding in this hellworld.

I'm feeling this hard, my FM2012 save where I have Newmarket Town in the Premier is at a point where it keeps getting corrupted around November 2043. Just tried removing lower divisions from a couple nations and I'm gonna try to power through into January before saving again, here's hoping. :ohdear:

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Starting to do well in my online save as Everton.

I had a run of very poor form in January, lost 4 and drew 5 against weaker opposition. I changed from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-1-2-2-1 and my form has reversed. Played twelve, won ten, lost one, drawn one. In difficult matches, I play through the middle, with a DM-S to cover for Gbamin I use as a BWM-S. All of a sudden I'm very competitive and have beaten all the big teams apart from Chelsea, who already did the double against me.

The only issue though is that I had to use the official in-game editor, to help out my fellow human manager. The game froze during a match so I had to replay it. He won his match but had both Keita and Salah out for the season. I'd already saved the game after getting results that matched the initial outcomes, so I had to use the editor to wipe out his injuries.

Problem is, since then Liverpool's form has been wretched, including defeat to Everton in the FA Cup semis. So now I'm being slyly accused of cheating when the only reason I downloaded the editor was to help him out.

Still next season I can make a Champions League push.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's a time honored FM tradition that you will always have to change tactics on January 1 unless you want to never win another match.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Anyone have a mod that unfucks MLS rules? I recall some goon ages ago mentioned they were working on/knew about an American Premier League mod that was in development or something like that.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Drone posted:

Anyone have a mod that unfucks MLS rules? I recall some goon ages ago mentioned they were working on/knew about an American Premier League mod that was in development or something like that.

https://www.fmscout.com/a-usa-football-pyramid-fm20.html

something like that?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
From The Guardian (who are so poo poo I won't link to directly) via Rockpapershotgun (who are also poo poo enough I won't link to):

quote:

As big sports organisations are wont to do, Manchester United are getting touchy about the use of their name. The English Premier League have filed a complaint against Sega and Sports Interactive for the use of the team’s name in the Football Manager series. They take issue with how the series may “benefit from an association with the club’s winning culture and its brand values” without actually forking over cash to licence the team’s crest.

According to The Guardian, EPL claim “Sega and SI have infringed its trademark over its logo by not using the official Manchester United crest in the game” and instead using a more generic crest that just looks a lot like MU’s. They argue that “consumers expect to see the club crest next to the name Manchester United … and this failure to do so amounts to wrongful use.”

Sega and Sports Interactive point out that Manchester United’s name has been used in the Football Manager and Championship Manager series since 1992 “without complaint by the claimant.” I’m by and far from a copyright lawyer but I’m given to understand that precedent like that is important. They in turn accuse EPL of attempting to “prevent legitimate competition in the video games field by preventing parties not licenced by the claimant from using the name of the Manchester United football team within such games.”

EPL also seem to be referencing user mods for Football Manager in a proposed amendment to their claim, calling them “downloadable files containing replica trademarks, which consumers then incorporate into the game.” Apparently they believe Sega and Sports Interactive are skirting around the need for a licence by “promoting the patch providers in various ways and, of course, they directly benefited from it by avoiding the need to take any licence and enjoying increased sales of their game.”

I’ve no doubt that mods replicating MU’s crest exist. Mod communities for all sorts of games contain lifted brand marks. I don’t believe I’ve seen any developer actively promote user-made mods that infringe on copyright claims though. It would be a pretty foolish move for, well, these exact reasons. Perhaps EPL are using a special legal definition for “promoting” that’s above my ken.

As a last tidbit, Sega adds that “the claimant’s staff working in the data analytics and scouting teams have contacted SI on various occasions asking for access to the Football Manager database for scouting and research purposes,” which is quite a clap back.

This seems like ManUre lawyers getting bored during lockdown and trying to find a way to justify their own eye-watering costs.
If ManUre get a friendly judge, I can see them getting a ruling in their favour, but I can't see a way that they come out of this without coming across as even bigger cunts than everyone already thinks they are.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
lol at the last paragraph.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm no lawyer but I remember hearing back when Bethesda and Mojang had their slapfight over the Scrolls game, that trademark law is hosed and if you don't vigorously defend your trademark against even the slightest threat it can and will be used against you in later lawsuits.

The fact that it took 28 years for ManUtd to have any issues, all the way back into the Championship Manager days, and that since they've received free copies and used the database for scouting in the past, they can't possibly claim they were ignorant of the fact, means that unless UK trademark law is radically different from the US, that SI and Sega might have a very strong case.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Worked for FC Zebre.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

sassassin posted:

Worked for FC Zebre.

And presumably, if ManUre had asked SI not to include the club name in the game, they would have complied.
This just seems like an attempted money-grab.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Just got FM 20 in the humble bundle and my usual strategy of signing up ton of africa-based player isn't working because every player is uninterested in signing, usually saying this:

Even if they're some extremely low reputation player on $120 a week. I'm playing in Poland. It reminded me of a few editions ago when I couldn't sign any africa-based players playing in Germany and it turned out it was due to some sort of database setting making them universally uninterested. So I tried loading up a game in Spain and Germany(Barcelona and Dortmund) and had no problem. Then I tried loading up Legia(most prestigious team in Poland to start the game) and got the same thing, nobody interested.

So does anyone have any idea if this is linked to 1) the prestige of the team, 2) the prestige of the league or 3) it's hard coded into a database that no club based in Poland will be able to to sign a player based in Africa?

joe football fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 24, 2020

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

League prestige probably

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Ya chances are it's the league prestige.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Nah he was right, they still do that poo poo.

I think AI squadbuilding and that kind of stuff is way better than it's been, to the point that it's the only reason I still play the game, but I don't get the point of making hard and fast rules like this.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

wtf that's so stupid. Why?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

AlbertFlasher posted:

wtf that's so stupid. Why?

Maybe their real life scouting in the African leagues is so sparse that they can't get decent reads on players and are embarrassed to have them actually used in a live game, because they rolled dice for their stats.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Nah it's just a way to get the Polish AI to not sign too many players straight from Africa because if you look at a list of foreign ekstraklasa players it barely happens. They have a ton of African players but they're euro league journeymen, they don't have scouting/agent ties with leagues in Africa. Other leagues that are similar to Poland that do sign more African players don't have that -1 thing.

Obviously I still think making random Ghanaians never want to join your club as a player is a dumb way to handle it though.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Mystery solved, thanks. Yeah that does kind of suck, African players are usually have such low transfer fees and plus it's just fun to stick as many non-european nationalities on your club as possible. I guess there had to be a catch to Poland's really lax registration rules. Hadn't even tried to sign anyone from Asia yet, though did loan Hiroki Abe to lead me to my first top division title

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Looks for pass rather than attempting to score?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtY6PoBTsf4

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
what's his vision at? he's got his back to goal when he gets to the ball so maybe he sees the pass but not the open goal?

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

lol that just reminded me of the story about the Arsenal researcher who thought that vision literally meant their eyesight so they all had 18/19/20. I think Sass told us about that.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Not touched this game in 8(?) years. God help me I'm going back in.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
https://twitter.com/nocontextfm1/status/1276295996855726080

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hosed up that people leave the default ukip skin

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Modrasone posted:

Not touched this game in 8(?) years. God help me I'm going back in.

Honestly to celebrate that the forums appear to have been saved from death in spite of themselves, we should do another Parmos run.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Tall wingers seem really good in this game

A typical goal highlight is the winger(4-3-3) on the right putting in a cross to this guy standing stationary at the far post and him bopping it into the net over a tiny polish fullback. It really goofy. Sadly I couldn't get him to give up his release clause so he's off to a legitimate league next year

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Been binging for a few days. It's definitely true that if you skip a few versions the game seems really good. At first it seemed a bit bewildering but I couldn't help but smirk when I could see bits of the old game poking through. I like how a lot of the exploity stuff has been addressed and a lot of the stale elements feel a lot more fun now. Plus I have a striker called Mossman, nicknamed Bossman, so I'm happy with this version of FM the videogame.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm dying on my arse managing England on this version. 2 bad wins, 2 draws and 1 loss and I haven't played anyone good. Every game seem to turn into Davy Moyes' night of 1000 crosses as it seems like having full backs push high up will result in that. Even tried using the tactic that won me the World Cup in FM14 but no joy. I was bad at FM19 too, am I broken like Jose? Might revert to default 4-3-3 Gegenpress if I don't beat the Czechs at Wembley.

e: I've made some tweaks and we're playing so well and Kane and Abraham have spurned 4 good headed chances in the first 10 minutes so we're definitely not going to win.

e2: Hahaha, we started playing badly, I switched to the default 4-2-3-1 Gegenpress and scored immediately.

We won 3-0, I guess I should use those default tactics as a startup rather than diving straight in with my own stuff. Or just use them, the one I'm using now is pretty much what I wanted in my head but FM can't explain things properly so my roles and positions were all over the shop.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 2, 2020

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Oh, how's my Euro 2020 going now my tactical woes are sorted? Well, we're playing really well and dominate every game

HOW DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING

As an aside, the nerfed crosses are really really obvious. The way wingers wait for the defender to catch up is really jarring and corners are so poor you might as well not bother with them. Even if a cross does get through, attackers very rarely get over the ball or put any power on it.

e: Right, that's it. I'm out of Euro 2020:

gently caress off. Just gently caress off. Their keeper is making save after save after save, Maddison misses an open goal. Stones shanks over from 2 yards with the keeper stranded. Sterling misses a one-on-one. Sancho misses a one-on-one. Kane misses a one-on-one. Then of course they score with their only shot on goal. It happens sometimes IRL but I've just had my three most important games serve up weapons-grade FM horseshit like this. FM20 is broken and Miles is a oval office.

They sacked me. Good.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

International play is somehow hard coded to gently caress over a human manager, I've always had the same bizarre lolfm'd results in virtually every international match and your tactics (mate) make no difference.

International managing is pretty lame anyway even without the bullshit, it's been a long time since I've bothered with it.

e: With the match engine in general, it still has really only a small number of sequences it can display and after you've managed a few hundred games you've seen everything it has to offer dozens of times each. Winning gets boring and losing gets infuriating. I find you really have to use your imagination when watching a FM game, and pretend that botched chance was something other than yet another perfectly weighted 60 yard through ball to spring the striker for a one-on-one he kicks right at the keeper or shanks into the 8th row, and that goal was something other than a surgically precise laser-guided cross from 30 feet up the touchline directly onto the closing winger's forehead/foot.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 6, 2020