Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I would probably replace Heat Riser. Single target buffs are just not that useful, especially when it's taking up an MC turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I found that Yu didn't do all that much damage in boss fights and eventually I just put him on healing duty. I found it easier to let Yukiko and Yusuke DPS when enemies had no weaknesses because they had Fire/Wind Amp built in and I was too lazy to micro that into Personas. Are there specific builds that significantly outdamage Fire Amp + Burning Petals Yukiko vs bosses? Obviously Yu was great in normal fights because he can hit multiple elements.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Clearly you have yet to know the joy of hassou tobi.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
Pls tell me when Nocturne comes to PC. thank you.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I found a copy of the Nocturne guide at Bookman's this week. It looks like it's so comprehensive. I miss guides like this.

I was planning on picking up a PS2 soon so this just accelerated that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Utgardaloki posted:

and there's nothing in P4 that warrants trying even that hard anyway
oh i fully understand this. but i still find satisfaction in actually caring about my persona builds. If I treated that half of the game like the nothing much it is after the beginning, the whole gameplay loop would collapse in on itself in all the pointlessness. Seeing how much overkill I can stack onto myself is a worthy enough pursuit.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

Detective No. 27 posted:

I found a copy of the Nocturne guide at Bookman's this week. It looks like it's so comprehensive. I miss guides like this.

I was planning on picking up a PS2 soon so this just accelerated that.

Man that really does bring me back to the days where when I was younger I got this guide for one of the resident evil games and myself and a friend would read through it during playing because we were so scared of the game.
Also god speed.

Does anyone else wish the persona games would bring back at the very least the option of letting your team mates make their own decisions (unless I'm currently having a major memory leak and the option is already there). I like the feeling that the MC is me and everyone else is their own character instead of me just being an invisible pupeteer pulling everyones strings and shipping each of them to each other. I know at times they'll have donald AI or have a HOI moment but still I like the idea.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

No Wave posted:

I found that Yu didn't do all that much damage in boss fights and eventually I just put him on healing duty. I found it easier to let Yukiko and Yusuke DPS when enemies had no weaknesses because they had Fire/Wind Amp built in and I was too lazy to micro that into Personas. Are there specific builds that significantly outdamage Fire Amp + Burning Petals Yukiko vs bosses? Obviously Yu was great in normal fights because he can hit multiple elements.

This is how I played P3 FES. I eventually just put Minato on full time healing duty and let Aigis help with buffs or debuffs and Mitsuru and Akihiko did all the damage, especially Mitsuru. I was later told this is a horribly inefficient way to play the game but, well,I won so who cares.

I just remembered P3 has the best boss theme in the series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbgVnhJ1pAo

I was always pumped to fight one of the Shadow bosses because I knew this song was coming. Even just hering it again makes me wanna replay P3. I still have P3P which I never finished....

I dislike that they took out the more extensive AI options for P3P, though. True, you can now manually control party members but I started with FES and AI commands and I wanted to do P3P the same. Why do they even keep the AI options in P3P, P4 and P5 if they're just gonna relegate them to those very limited set of instructions?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 25, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Amppelix posted:

oh i fully understand this. but i still find satisfaction in actually caring about my persona builds. If I treated that half of the game like the nothing much it is after the beginning, the whole gameplay loop would collapse in on itself in all the pointlessness. Seeing how much overkill I can stack onto myself is a worthy enough pursuit.
Oh, I feel completely.

I'll be replacing Mediarahan with Mabufudyne once I get around to making the card.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 25, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, Kaguya is a great fuckin' Persona design

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Waterfall Watcher posted:

Does anyone else wish the persona games would bring back at the very least the option of letting your team mates make their own decisions (unless I'm currently having a major memory leak and the option is already there). I like the feeling that the MC is me and everyone else is their own character instead of me just being an invisible pupeteer pulling everyones strings and shipping each of them to each other. I know at times they'll have donald AI or have a HOI moment but still I like the idea.
This option has never actually gone away. But you effectively can't use it for the whole game in 4 or 5 since the harder stuff will always be designed around the assumption that you have full control over the party's actions, and they don't give you all the more specific AI directions P3 does.

It's still nice for it to be there for more mindless dungeon crawling where you're not in real danger though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Arist posted:

Man, Kaguya is a great fuckin' Persona design
It doesn't hurt that it completely fits the main P4 party's persona aesthetics. Like, if you showed me Kaguya out of context, and said "This is Marie's ultimate Persona", I'd believe you without even thinking about it.

Edit: Or maybe I wouldn't believe you, she might not have enough random kibble hanging off of her.

Amppelix posted:

This option has never actually gone away. But you effectively can't use it for the whole game in 4 or 5 since the harder stuff will always be designed around the assumption that you have full control over the party's actions, and they don't give you all the more specific AI directions P3 does.

It's still nice for it to be there for more mindless dungeon crawling where you're not in real danger though.
I still plan to beat P4 on Hard without ever turning a party member onto Direct Control... one of these days. Maybe NG+, so I don't completely destroy myself.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

Amppelix posted:

Yeah that too, it would also be a way similar to earthbound where if your parties level is way higher than the enemies you automatically win.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My unofficial P5R 3rd tier Persona rankings (not counting the two new party members):

Appearance: Morgana > Haru > Ann > Futaba > Makoto > Ryuji > Yusuke

Battle upgrades: Ryuji > Ann > Yusuke > Haru > Makoto > Morgana

Ryuji and Ann are the clear winners. Yusuke is alright but is heavily limited by SP, and chances are that Joker will handle it with Thermopylae anyway. Haru's is really good in theory, but it's also such a SP guzzler and I don't really have much of a reason to use her anyway. Makoto's is eh since you won't need it that often, but her upgraded Trait is nice for dungeon crawling. Morgana's... okay, but the increased number of Physical resistant enemies means that it's less impactful than I'd like. But hey he has the best looking one in my opinion.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

No Wave posted:

Offhand? Let's see...

-Power Charge + Blade of Fury is the earliest and easiest phys build to get that makes an absolute mockery of everything in the game. The way the damage formula for P4 works, an attack's damage is calculated by taking its Power and deriving its square root. Burning Petals has 400 Power, so its actual damage multiplier is 20, which then becomes 40 with Fire Amp + Kagutsuchi Vow or a similar combination. Blade of Fury's Power is only 100, so it initially seems like it does a lot less damage (multiplier is only 10)...but it multihits, and every multihit is a +100% damage boost, and it can hit between 2 and 4 times. So on a min roll, Blade of Fury hits equally as hard as Burning Petals before amps come into play, and on a high roll, it matches its amped power, except it can crit to hit even harder.

-This leads to the next level of optimization, which is fishing for a knockdown (Chie helps with this, incidentally, as she has Rebellion/Revolution and Black Spot can be rigged to hit 100% critrate) and then landing a Vile Assault. Vile Assault gets doubled damage on knocked down foes and its multiplier is like 27, so it outnukes Burning Petals by a lot against a single target for a lot less skill slots. Both of these builds are achievable by like, Void Quest or so even on Very Hard, on that note, whereas unlocking the full potential of Amagidyne requires a ton of endgame grinding.

-The next step is Morning Star + Mind Charge. Lot pricier than Amagidyne in terms of SP, but nukes significantly harder against everything that doesn't resist Almighty, and is of course much more applicable. Not having to use Fire Break is a lowkey large dps gain.

-Beyond that you have the really high end physical skills. Primal Force and Pralaya both outdamage Amagidyne, no questions asked. All you need to do is land a hit. And of course, they can crit.

-...And then there's Hassou Tobi, which with no optimization at all beyond a power charge does more damage than two Mind Charged Amagidynes.

Hopefully this serves as an illustration of what you can do with a bit of effort! There's a lot of really neat ways to make the protagonist do massive damage in P4, particularly in golden where you can sometimes godhand a broken skill early on and then everyone else serves as a cheerleading squad. As a bonus, something that's kind of understated is that customizing the party to help the protagonist excel is a lot easier than helping out Yukiko, since all you really need is Marakunda, Matarukaja and maybe Masukukaja/Masukunda and you're good to go. :eng101:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
P5r update: Sweet precious egg baby did a good job and upgraded the kind of lovely first will seed accessory into something extremely good so now Skulls got a self heal that's also a damage buff.

Love that egg baby

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

P5r update: Sweet precious egg baby did a good job and upgraded the kind of lovely first will seed accessory into something extremely good so now Skulls got a self heal that's also a damage buff.

Love that egg baby

Egg Baby is a good boy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The Will Seed accessories are very good and would be borderline broken in any of the other Persona games. As is they're still extremely good, it's just that by endgame you have so many options to shoot your power into the stratosphere.

Also the first accessory is great even before being powered up, since it's basically Diarama which was the main thing that kept Morgana from being equal or better than Makoto for most of the game.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I get you, I played P5 and my latest P4 run on Hard with the teammates in Auto except for bosses. The AI is surprisingly efficient at using Baton Pass in P5.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah that too, it would also be a way similar to earthbound where if your parties level is way higher than the enemies you automatically win.

Persona 5 Royal added that, it's Ryuji's social link. It ends up rarely being a thing in palaces because you're usually on-level there unless you grind but in Mementos it is utterly gamebreaking since you can just go around ramming your catbus into anything you want.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Something that I liked in P3 but they never brought back was that sometimes party members just wouldn't go dungeon crawling. They have commitments or are too busy studying or something.

I know that it's mostly a QoL change since you don't want to plan out a Mementos trip and find out that oh, Yusuke is too busy dumpster diving for cup noodles, but it gave the P3 party members a bit more character and the idea that they have a life outside of the group.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

More scenes of the party members interacting without the MC would go a long way, too. the team-up moves in royal are cool as hell, because you can start to sort of see what the relationship between those characters would be like

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wow, the Hollow Forest is annoying.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Varinn posted:

More scenes of the party members interacting without the MC would go a long way, too. the team-up moves in royal are cool as hell, because you can start to sort of see what the relationship between those characters would be like

This is why persona q2 is the best version of persona 5...and 4...and 3

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

morgana and teddie being insanely jealous of koromaru because every character loves him more than them is the best plot thread any of those three have been involved in

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Varinn posted:

morgana and teddie being insanely jealous of koromaru because every character loves him more than them is the best plot thread any of those three have been involved in

They should just accept that there's no way for anyone to compete with a Shiba Inu, unless they're a fat Shiba Inu.

Make the next mascot character a fat Shiba, Atlus.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Varinn posted:

They're cool but the only one that wasn't already a fairly natural relationship would be I think Ryuji/Yusuke (which is already the best one). Like Haru just naturally vibes with Morgana and Makoto but I'd have liked to see how she would have interacted with Ann or Ryuji. Some Futaba team ups would be nice, too, since P5R already shows that she has some tricks that could be used for offense like her AoA finisher.

But I do like that one scene where Ann and Makoto hash it out. They didn't need to include it and nobody would really have noticed, but I'm glad they did.

mandatory lesbian posted:

This is why persona q2 is the best version of persona 5...and 4...and 3

I'd say that PQ1 is a bit better than PQ2 (writing wise, PQ2 is much better balanced battle-wise) unless you just want more P5. The flanderization is a bit worse in PQ1, but I think with a smaller cast (which is already pretty darn big) you get better interactions rather than trying to work with 20+ people.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
So I was focusing on the wrong SLinks it seems, and will have less maxed than I had hoped for. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the next dungeon is a while off, so the next entire in-game month is probably just VN and pop-quiz questions while I also try to get the these last few points to max Understanding and Diligence.

Depending on if I can flashback to any branches in P4G, I've got maybe one NG+ with generous use of fast forward in me before I wander off to another game.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Rerelease all the ps2 era games Atlus!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Senator Drinksalot posted:

This, but it's also the PS1 ones.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Make Atlus rerelease all the ps2 era games Sega!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PUT ULTIMAX ON PC

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Arist posted:

PUT ULTIMAX ON PC

:yeah: Now we're talking

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
next gen labrys' boston accent

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

deadly_pudding posted:

This, but it's also the PS1 ones.

If I were going for sheer quality of a platform's library I'd ask for the 3DS after the PS2. You've got Devil Survivor, SMTIV and Apocalypse, the Soul Hackers remake, Strange Journey Redux, the Persona Qs, presumably they'd do some Etrian Odysseys as a 'while we're there'...

But... yeah, no, I wanna play Persona 2. Gimme the PS1 lineup.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

PUT ULTIMAX ON PC

The original, or the 2.0 version NA never got?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I love Persona 2 but there's a perfectly functional PS1 and PSP emulator. Very easy to use, too.

3DS not so much. I remember when i played Devil Survivor 1 Overclocked I had to use an earlier build of Citra because newer versions, at least at the time, wouldn't work with it. at all Also you have to st through the opening which is a blank screen with only the audio. Then when it repeats, you get the actual opening and can start the game. This was incredibly frustrating given it's an SMT game and an RPG. You start it and restart it due to game overs a lot.

Plus Apocalypse would no doubt run way smoother as a PC game and I'd greatly appreciate that.

3DS has far and away the most quality SMT games.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Arist posted:

PUT ULTIMAX ON PC

Hell yeah

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I love Persona 2 but there's a perfectly functional PS1 and PSP emulator. Very easy to use, too.

3DS not so much. I remember when i played Devil Survivor 1 Overclocked I had to use an earlier build of Citra because newer versions, at least at the time, wouldn't work with it. at all Also you have to st through the opening which is a blank screen with only the audio. Then when it repeats, you get the actual opening and can start the game. This was incredibly frustrating given it's an SMT game and an RPG. You start it and restart it due to game overs a lot.

Plus Apocalypse would no doubt run way smoother as a PC game and I'd greatly appreciate that.

3DS has far and away the most quality SMT games.

Yeah I have a Vita so I'm not too concerned about Persona games but I'd love to be able to play Raidou, DDS and Nocturne on my Switch or PC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

what is this choice???