Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
If anyone would like one, I've scraped an archive of this thread: https://sabercathost.com/5F31/AncientHistory.zip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there a good software tool to scrape threads? You know, for history....

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ynglaur posted:

Is there a good software tool to scrape threads? You know, for history....

There are a couple in this thread, including mine. :)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

If anyone would like one, I've scraped an archive of this thread: https://sabercathost.com/5F31/AncientHistory.zip

Hey, thanks. I tried to do this but it just crashed every time.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

if the forums die the worst part for me will be i'll have to actually write some new posts, instead of just c/p from my history in this thread :mad:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

We'll meet again

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Squalid posted:

if the forums die the worst part for me will be i'll have to actually write some new posts, instead of just c/p from my history in this thread :mad:

Not this thread, but I’m feeling this.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

So what dead ancient civilization is sa gonna most resemble

somthing small, yet surprisingly influential and well preserved imo

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Agean90 posted:

The etruscans maybe. They were very influential in the beginning of Rome but was then swallowed up and assimilated

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

This is awesome, thank you! Lurking this thread really helped jumpstart an interest in Roman/ancient history for me, and it’s great to have an archive somewhere.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Agean90 posted:

Assyria. Hated and feared until suddenly they weren't.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Gonna be honest, if SA goes down this is the thread I will miss the most.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dalael posted:

Gonna be honest, if SA goes down this is the thread I will miss the most.

Yeah. I was thinking for a minute about starting a blog but that's not discussion, I don't think it'd be any good. I dunno. Still hoping for a forums situation where this thread can exist.

Agean90 posted:

There's a non-trivial case to be made that SA is a major factor in the current collapse of the United States and its institutions so that should be factored in too. I'm not sure who to pick.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a non-trivial case to be made that SA is a major factor in the current collapse of the United States and its institutions so that should be factored in too. I'm not sure who to pick.

Can you elaborate on that please? Sounds intriguing.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Grand Fromage posted:

Still hoping for a forums situation where this thread can exist.

If not, I hope I have time to drop in one last Atlantis post before it all goes down :laugh:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Angry Lobster posted:

Can you elaborate on that please? Sounds intriguing.

ADTRW banned moot for being weird, who then founded 4chan, which has spun off and spawned even worse places like 8chan. They were instrumental in the formation of alt-right circles which played a major factor in getting the current version of insane Republicans into office, who are busy making the US into a plague ship.

Republicans were already bent on blowing up the country and it would've likely happened regardless, but the particular form of the collapse the US is going through owes a lot of its DNA to SA.

Gamergate was actually a serious political upheaval in the US, as loving bizarre as that is.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Grand Fromage posted:

ADTRW banned moot for being weird, who then founded 4chan, which has spun off and spawned even worse places like 8chan. They were instrumental in the formation of alt-right circles which played a major factor in getting the current version of insane Republicans into office, who are busy making the US into a plague ship.

Republicans were already bent on blowing up the country and it would've likely happened regardless, but the particular form of the collapse the US is going through owes a lot of its DNA to SA.

Gamergate was actually a serious political upheaval in the US, as loving bizarre as that is.

Yep, that's the timeline we're in.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Grand Fromage posted:

the part where this argument falls to pieces is the alt-right part, the 4chan far-right is a pretty minor part of the history of trumpism

even focusing exclusively on the phenomenon of extremely online right-wingers, facebook is far more important than anything that came out of SA

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I’m only on page 181 but I’ve been reading this thread slowly, off and on for about a year and I f*ckin love it and I just bought The Inheritance of Rome by Christopher Wickham. I just wanted to thank grandma frontage and the rest of you for making Ancient Rome real for me. real competition between this thread and the political maps thread for best read on the forums. Thanks

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A goon is the one who set up hillary's email server

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Grand Fromage posted:

Had no idea, I guess I was underestimating the actual influence of this kind of internet groups on US politics.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Tunicate posted:

A goon is the one who set up hillary's email server

Benghazi was a goon project

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Worst comes to worst, I suggest an ancient history channel on the goon milhist discord. There's plenty of overlap in posters between the threads and a similar academic approach

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I would say Gamergate is what you would have to examine as the phenomenon that really turned anti-feminist, anti-pc internet users into political activism and created the environment in which major alt-right personalities like Milo found their followings. 4chan is a major part of that, but not more so than Twitter.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Grumio posted:

Worst comes to worst, I suggest an ancient history channel on the goon milhist discord. There's plenty of overlap in posters between the threads and a similar academic approach

link?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

https://discord.gg/YrGdtE

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
This crowd would be very welcome on breadnroses.net I think, there's a Bread (not fully poo poo posting) side "pseudointellectual navel gazing" forum that already has a history thread

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wouldn't mind the chance to reorganize so there's a single thread for everything pre 20th century. 20th century history can suck all the air out of the room but no reason we can't talk about the roman and holy roman empire in the same thread without being technically off topic

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I wouldn't mind the chance to reorganize so there's a single thread for everything pre 20th century. 20th century history can suck all the air out of the room but no reason we can't talk about the roman and holy roman empire in the same thread without being technically off topic

This is a fantastic idea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I dunno, I think there's value in being more specific. Everything pre-20th century is a lot. Everything ancient is already a lot. I've always tried to let things slide that aren't too off topic, we've definitely spent a lot of time talking about medieval stuff in here when it was relevant. Everything in history is interconnected so I don't think firm boundaries work, it takes judgement. I'm sure I haven't done that perfectly but I think the thread's worked pretty okay the way it's been.

E: Not to shut down discussion about The Next Thread at all here, just my thoughts. Even if we stay here on these dumb forums post-Lowtax it's probably time for a thread reboot, I was going to do that at page 1,000 anyway.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 25, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

shovelbum posted:

This crowd would be very welcome on breadnroses.net I think, there's a Bread (not fully poo poo posting) side "pseudointellectual navel gazing" forum that already has a history thread

Boy I can't wait to get shrieked at for being the wrong kind of historian there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Boy I can't wait to get shrieked at for being the wrong kind of historian there.

that's why you gotta exclude 20th century history from the successor to this thread; in an explicitly leftist space, pushing specific interpretations of the 20th century is going to be critical in a way that isn't the case for anything earlier

tbh I don't really mind split up history threads but if the successor to this thread remains explicitly ancient I'll just make the early modern thread myself because early modern is cool

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

a lot of people are imagining interactions on b&r that will not take place in real life

as a long time poster in this thread, this has always been a favorite. i hope my posts have been informative for folks and hope we can keep talking about ancient history somewhere going forward

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

tbh I don't really mind split up history threads but if the successor to this thread remains explicitly ancient I'll just make the early modern thread myself because early modern is cool

This is what I lean toward. Right now we have this thread and milhist, but there's no reason we can't just, like, have a third history megathread that's more medieval/early modern focused. I'm inclined to keep this one or its new version ancient focused since that's my main area of interest and I posted the thread. :v: I don't see any reason multiple threads with different focuses but the same general group of nerds would be a problem. It lets you choose what you want to read or post about, but it doesn't exclude anything.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cheetah7071 posted:

that's why you gotta exclude 20th century history from the successor to this thread; in an explicitly leftist space, pushing specific interpretations of the 20th century is going to be critical in a way that isn't the case for anything earlier

I'm a historian of the 20th century so this sounds like pure rear end torture.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I dunno, I think there's value in being more specific. Everything pre-20th century is a lot. Everything ancient is already a lot. I've always tried to let things slide that aren't too off topic, we've definitely spent a lot of time talking about medieval stuff in here when it was relevant. Everything in history is interconnected so I don't think firm boundaries work, it takes judgement. I'm sure I haven't done that perfectly but I think the thread's worked pretty okay the way it's been.

E: Not to shut down discussion about The Next Thread at all here, just my thoughts. Even if we stay here on these dumb forums post-Lowtax it's probably time for a thread reboot, I was going to do that at page 1,000 anyway.

the bigger problem is just overwhelming the channels with too many posts. you have to break things down until people have time to hear themselves think. Discord's format kinda promotes fast posting so you really need a lot of "space."

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I'm fascinated by the early modern, but the trouble is that it doesn't seem to support enough interest to keep a thread alive on its own. The early modern thread here died out, and it's not like our successor forum will be the same size as this one was.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

no one is getting "shrieked at" there unless they are US-standards right wing

edit: almost anywhere you post or even do anything in your normal life is run by hard-right loving lunatics, but you don't get shrieked at here for not being a Nazi even though Lowtax is chummy with the gamergate crowd, you don't get shrieked at at a store even though they're run by monstrous far-right plutocrats, etc. You spend most of your life trying to exist as a normal person in hard right spaces and I think it's unfair to think that it would be not only worse but impossibly worse just because a place is run by caring community-minded people vs sociopathic oligarchs

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 25, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Squalid posted:

the bigger problem is just overwhelming the channels with too many posts. you have to break things down until people have time to hear themselves think. Discord's format kinda promotes fast posting so you really need a lot of "space."

Oh I'm thinking forums threads here, I have no idea how it would work in discord. I'm not expecting to have to stay there, but if we do then we'll figure it out when that comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Dunno what's gonna happen but it's been a pleasure posting & reading with you goons. Grand Fromage you moderated a great thread, and you'll always be a Simcity 4 god to me bro