Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Collateral posted:

Are they sitting on the last book?

Like, do you mean you're asking if it's done and they're arbitrarily not releasing it? No. IIRC I saw a tweet or something that said it's in the manuscript editing phase.

e: This was the last one I could find: https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/1220400400651689984

There's supposed to be a novella prior to the last book too, and those tend to come out 4-6 months prior to a book.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I was wondering that, too, because I recall that it was originally going to come out in March and I hadn't seen much about it now that we're getting close to it.

Oh well, plenty of other books on my docket to catch up on while I wait for The Expanse to wrap up.

I've only read the big titles, how much do the novellas add? Those of you that have read them, do you think they add enough extra stuff to be worth it or am I fine skipping them? I'd obviously be reading them out of order if I went and got 'em now.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

frogge posted:

I've only read the big titles, how much do the novellas add? Those of you that have read them, do you think they add enough extra stuff to be worth it or am I fine skipping them? I'd obviously be reading them out of order if I went and got 'em now.

Really good worldbuilding, give some background for major characters and introduce some characters/events that become relevant later. I really enjoyed them, but they aren't necessary.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Totally not necessary but also completely worth it, especially The Churn.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The novellas are definitely worth your time/money, but they might lose some impact if you read them out of order with the rest of the series. Not that they get spoiled by later books, but the Expanse universe gets bigger and bigger with each book, so going backwards might feel like a downgrade. Strange Dogs and the Vital Abyss are the most interesting IMO.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Like, do you mean you're asking if it's done and they're arbitrarily not releasing it? No. IIRC I saw a tweet or something that said it's in the manuscript editing phase.

e: This was the last one I could find: https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/1220400400651689984

There's supposed to be a novella prior to the last book too, and those tend to come out 4-6 months prior to a book.

I don't think so. Auberon came out in November. I'm pretty sure they said on Reddit that there will be one more novella, but it'll be after the final book (and bundled with the short story collection).

Edit: there will be a novella after the last book, but I can't seem to find a consensus on whether there's another novella coming out before it.

When they said "2 more novellas, 1 more novel" on their Reddit AMA last year, I assumed that Auberon was included in that figure.

I just finished Tiamat's Wrath last night and I'll knock out Auberon today. Looking forward to the ending but it really feels like this is gonna be a tough one to stick. The threat is just so Lovecraftian.

edit 2: finished Auberon. I'm not sure what to make of it. All of the novellas except maybe for Gods of Risk foreshadow important events and introduce important characters to the novels that come after them. I'm not sure what this sets up though, if anything.

I'm a little sad that it's drawing to a close, but I'm glad to have a break from the setting. I won't mind if there's a long wait for the last novel, I think.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 17, 2020

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Found confirmation that there are two novellas post-Auberon, with one "probably" coming before book 9. Sounds like we're still in for a wait then.

https://twitter.com/AbrahamHanover/status/1194466341350019072

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So... with news breaking that Cas Anvar (Alex) is a sexual predator, any ideas what they do with Alex? Recast or write him out?

Season Five is already filmed, and depending how much ground it covers they could use the time jump to replace him, or they could kill him off screen maybe? Or just replace him and not mention it?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
milkshake ducked again

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Well if they follow the books and age them 30ish years they can probably sneak in a new actor without too much discontinuity.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
jesus, ok 2020, slow your roll.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

for gently caress's sake why does everything I enjoy have to feature a monster of some sort

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's monsters all the way down my friend.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Well if they follow the books and age them 30ish years they can probably sneak in a new actor without too much discontinuity.

Yeah I think this is what they're going to do. Ty has already said the story doesn't make sense without the time jump so if the show gets there it's going to happen.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

They've already gone through 2 Arjuns.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I think the timejump is going to be extremely hard to translate to TV. Old age makeup never looks believable to me, and I can't think of any show that has successfully pulled off a complete recast.

Even a show like Picard, which is ostensibly focused on an 80 year old man, had a bunch of 20-something newcomers handle most of the action.

Maybe they'll just say that medicine has come a long way due to protomolecule research and give everybody one gray streak.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
If they actually recast to a collection of older actors (instead of doing makeup/ digital effects or shortening the time jump) I'd start watching the show again. But I suspect

Lester Shy posted:

Maybe they'll just say that medicine has come a long way due to protomolecule research and give everybody one gray streak.
is what they'll do.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lester Shy posted:

They don't even need to do this really, they mention in the books there are life extension drugs and our 70+ year old protagonists are physically more like late 40s in our world. I think they'll do some age makeup but if it's light, it looks fine. It's when you try to make someone look ancient that it never works.

I cannot imagine a total recast happening, nobody would want that.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
people would riot if you replaced the actors people love with new ones.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

We're a season or two short of the age jump, so they'd have to do a recast before that anyway. Or maybe while only Alex is aboard the roci is shot down off screen with no survivors.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Please note: Alex died on the way back to his estranged martian wife

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Just replace him with a tennis ball on a stick and CGI that poo poo.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Does Alex, uh, do anything? Ever? I’m struggling to think of why they couldn’t just kill him.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Does Alex, uh, do anything? Ever? I’m struggling to think of why they couldn’t just kill him.

He's a central character to the entire series. They can't just get rid of him.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

He uncovers the entire Laconia conspiracy this season, he's pretty important.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

If the latest season is in the can, I feel like you might be able to write him out without too much reworking, but it'd still be a mess. And having a hard recast would also be a mess too.

poo poo sucks man.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ATP_Power posted:

If the latest season is in the can, I feel like you might be able to write him out without too much reworking, but it'd still be a mess. And having a hard recast would also be a mess too.

poo poo sucks man.

What do you mean by "in the can"? Season 5 is done filming before the rona, and is in post.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CLAM DOWN posted:

He's a central character to the entire series. They can't just get rid of him.

He's definitely the easiest of the central characters to get rid of tho. Just replace him with Bobby going forward and have Melba do more poo poo to fill the gap.

After the time jump he basically does nothing. Killing him off, maybe by refilling Fred Johnsons death, could work.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

What do you mean by "in the can"? Season 5 is done filming before the rona, and is in post.

I'm not a show biz guy but i believe "done filming and is in post" is what "in the can" means

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm not a show biz guy but i believe "done filming and is in post" is what "in the can" means

Oh okay, that make sense, I didn't know that phrase haha.

PriorMarcus posted:

He's definitely the easiest of the central characters to get rid of tho. Just replace him with Bobby going forward and have Melba do more poo poo to fill the gap.

After the time jump he basically does nothing. Killing him off, maybe by refilling Fred Johnsons death, could work.

That would be such an enormous split from the books that I don't see it happening. I don't know. We'll see.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Any news about the last book?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

No. They're almost certainly taking longer because it's the last book and they want to get it right. I'm expecting they'll have it done by the end of the year, probably out in 2021.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh okay, that make sense, I didn't know that phrase haha.

That would be such an enormous split from the books that I don't see it happening. I don't know. We'll see.

Would it? What does Alex do except kinda be there? Anything Mars related could be given to Bobby easy enough.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

If they do the 30 year time-skip, he can just die off-screen during that. It would be difficult to make it really work emotionally, especially since we'd know the real reasons aren't good, but it wouldn't be implausible. It'd also give a greater sense of things having happened in the interim. One of the issues in the books was that the world may have changed over 30 years, but the crew of the Rocinante really didn't. If one of them dies... that'd be a change. Or maybe Alex doesn't need to die on the way to his home planet. Maybe he just heads back to Mars. Doesn't make sense for the character at the moment, but... 30 years. Maybe he gets his wanderlust out of his system and reconnects with his adult children or something. The crew can smile warmly knowing that Alex (a character who is good and pure) is doing well somewhere living a simple life, without having to cut a paycheck to a scummy actor.

The second thing they should do if they do the 30 year skip is establish how amazing these new anti-aging drugs are. You stay fit and young looking for 30 years. Wow woah. Give Holden or Naomi a streak of stylish white hair and call it a day. It'd be a bit weird, but anything else (recasting/major makeup) would be way more jarring and bad.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Lester Shy posted:

This is pretty much exactly how it came across in the book to me, tbh.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

During the 30 years in the books he does get married and divorced again, so they could skip the divorce and just have him stay on Mars, yeah. I suspect recast is more likely than a write out but who knows.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I hope they don't recast 30 year older everyone because that'd mean seeing less Drummer and I don't think I can accept that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I mean that coroner dude in season 1 was saying that Martian life expectancy was creeping up on 150. It wouldn't be something new they're pulling out.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Oh yay a book thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

PriorMarcus posted:

So... with news breaking that Cas Anvar (Alex) is a sexual predator, any ideas what they do with Alex? Recast or write him out?

Season Five is already filmed, and depending how much ground it covers they could use the time jump to replace him, or they could kill him off screen maybe? Or just replace him and not mention it?

wtf, goddammit