Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Jose posted:

I don't really bother saving stuff like that
you keep a personal archive of gaping rear end in a top hat and dick sounding pics but not the evidence of sexual harassment? lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

It was probably a misstep for Starmer to purge RLB instead of just demoting her and asking her to issue an apology (not just a clarification)

Demotion would also allow Starmer to slot in a new shadow ed sec regardless... the contention of excessive NEU links doesn't hold up

I don't know. Maybe Starmer wants to all the remaining Corbyn hires to stay far far away from anything in their social media that even mentions I/P, however slightly. You piss off the BoD, Starmer won't protect you, your head just rolls stat - maybe that is the message. But this will always be painful to enforce, even if a particularly senior head is taken first.

I think it's a combination of all those things, plus a desire to look like he's actually capable of making a decision on something. He gets to bask in the adulation of the blue-ticks, the left of the party continues the process of self-purging, and someone who was no doubt a big annoyance in Cabinet meetings is now going to be replaced by someone with Sensible Views about Education Consumers - it's all upside for him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

communism bitch posted:

you keep a personal archive of gaping rear end in a top hat and dick sounding pics but not the evidence of sexual harassment? lmao

It was sent over discord not forum pm. I've had infinite PM's since I got made a mod

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jose posted:

Zyla who controls the bnr money was/is big on sending unsolicited nude photos to women. I've seen a pictue of it myself but don't have a copy because I don't really bother saving stuff like that. I thought that forum was dead until yesterday

Judging from the five minutes I've spent on it it seems pretty loving dead.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

stev posted:

Judging from the five minutes I've spent on it it seems pretty loving dead.
Yeah it's fairly quiet. I guess if Lowtax comes back and nukes the forums it'll pick up, for now it's more a handy backup plan.

e:

Jose posted:

Zyla who controls the bnr money was/is big on sending unsolicited nude photos to women. I've seen a pictue of it myself but don't have a copy because I don't really bother saving stuff like that. I thought that forum was dead until yesterday
I just don't get it, does being an admin turn you into a creep or do only creeps get made admins?

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 25, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thanks! :)

ronya posted:

Dani Rodrik has an influential form of the argument pitched as a trilemma since the late 1990s, where the world-system must pick two out of three: deep global economic integration (common markets, capital flows, etc), politics at the level of nation-states, or politics being effectively democratically responsive to civil-social dissatisfaction. The intuition is similar to what is laid out in the article. Rodrik is, naturally, a fan of proposing limitations on #1 in order to keep #2 and #3.
What happens when you limit #2 to keep #1 and #3? That sounds like the typical liberal antinationalism but (in this type of analysis) voters seem to get unhappy as wages stagnate and voters blame the elite groups which they (rightly or wrongly) perceive as benefiting. It also sounds like a world where corporations can sue states so we might find out. It doesn't seem a stable state of power.

ronya posted:

This is where the 'everyone: actually neoliberals in self-denial' card comes into play. Accusations of intellectual dishonesty are unfair I think - voters are allowed to contain self-contradictory multitudes, they do that all the time.
People are people. It does end up with a lot of speculation about the forces that drive people occupy certain camps, like an outside view or a person from the 1950s might see it as bizarre that the Labour Left, Scotland, and anti-racists were the firmest group for Remain, whereas the fascists were the loudest voice for Leave, but we're not in the 1950s and it seems the most reliable tell of Leave or Remain was whether you wish we were. People and media landscapes are interesting.

ronya posted:

- maybe it's all China shock? The rise of China was massive, much more than the earlier rise of the East Asian tiger states or Newly Industrialized Countries merely due to size alone. People complained when the factories moved to Taiwan, then they complained some more when the factories moved to Indonesia, and then they complained again when they moved to China, but the China decade was so much bigger than all the others put together. But it'll only industrialize once... waiting in the wings is Vietnam, but Vietnam is much smaller. So potentially it's just the one-off wave? India seems more headed to a middle income trap.
Africa will probably be the next big player to industrialize if there's still a climate to do industry in. Population patterns and migration within West Africa point to it either being industrialization or a horror show, and China has shown a lot of interest in East African industry although many are wondering if it's The Brits Round 2.

ronya posted:

- maybe the SYRIZA/Podemos/Corbyn/Sanders wave will transform everything and forge a consensus for something, rather than nothing? This seems to have petered out as of late. Nobody thinks the right-populist or yellow-jacket-populist tendencies have an actual idea that can win pluralities either. Macronism subsists on such a vacuum.
I think the former did have big ideas but they were made to seem non-credible by the media landscape and inter-left squabbles blown up to show non-consensus, but that's a question as old as any power struggle. They're hostile to the 'thuggish' parts of the populist right too, but in the current environment you can have a rich 'respectable' pop-right a lot easier than a rich respectable pop-left.

ronya posted:

- maybe polarization is the real problem? The preceding discussion assumes throughout that nation-state politics holds, so that a 55% victory is a clear mandate and a 60% victory is a landslide unstoppable march of history making itself felt. Even if four in ten people voted for not-that. But if actually what is happening is disintegration to even smaller political tribes, then...
More Macronism? He does seem to lose his gray shine whenever he does something, but that could just be french-presidency.xlsx

ronya posted:

Maybe the supposed economic dimension is just a proxy for a revival of the old angst over multikulti, now that Europe begins to have a visible minority level above 2% and the US for its part sheds a white majority. Social spending in the developed world has after all not actually fallen appreciably... stir in an aging society to mix. For all the supposed disenchantment with the GATT/WTO order, after all, the great populist wave doesn't seem to be demanding to have regional economic pacts or self-sufficiency. They're demanding that cultural anxieties be met.
Yeah, I think that makes a lot of sense. A world of competing cultural anxieties with no concern for economic dimension sounds like a bad one, unless there's a way to frame positive economic action in cultural anxieties that doesn't net you the BNP/FN.

haakman
May 5, 2011
Thanks guys. To bring it back to the thread I stand to inherit a framed front page of the Telegraph from the night of Maggie's first win, signed by her. I am pretty sure it's a phylactery - what should I do with it? Am sure the thread will have some creative ideas.

Also Necrothatcher you have no idea how much imgladshesdead.gif pissed him off. It was glorious and I'll treasure the memory of it!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

communism bitch posted:

Prolapsed is very different from gaping :nono:

verrrry different

zhar
May 3, 2019

Jose posted:

in case people aren't aware the people who run bread and roses are dodgy as gently caress. like 2 sex pests and someone who outs trans people dodgy

chip off the old block

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

haakman posted:

Thanks guys. To bring it back to the thread I stand to inherit a framed front page of the Telegraph from the night of Maggie's first win, signed by her. I am pretty sure it's a phylactery - what should I do with it? Am sure the thread will have some creative ideas.

Also Necrothatcher you have no idea how much imgladshesdead.gif pissed him off. It was glorious and I'll treasure the memory of it!

set fire to it. or sell it on ebay and use the money to buy drugs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

crispix posted:

verrrry different

Tempted to try and make a friendship ended with goatse now prolapse is my best friend meme

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Even my hyper-sensible-centrist friend is laughing in a chat room about getting rid of her for something that is factually true

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

Thanks! :)

What happens when you limit #2 to keep #1 and #3? That sounds like the typical liberal antinationalism but (in this type of analysis) voters seem to get unhappy as wages stagnate and voters blame the elite groups which they (rightly or wrongly) perceive as benefiting. It also sounds like a world where corporations can sue states so we might find out. It doesn't seem a stable state of power.

Fiscal union, basically

where corporations sue under article 1 of the ECHR, not under an arbitration clause. As they already do...

The idea/hope is that civil-social pressure forms into political coalitions at the supranational level. United States of Europe and such

Guavanaut posted:

Africa will probably be the next big player to industrialize if there's still a climate to do industry in. Population patterns and migration within West Africa point to it either being industrialization or a horror show, and China has shown a lot of interest in East African industry although many are wondering if it's The Brits Round 2.

The most remarkable aspect of recent African growth is that sub-saharan urbanization has not led to as much poverty reduction or urban specialization as one would ordinarily expect from its successes in Asia - a great deal of it seems to be 'push' urbanization from rural overpopulation. I don't know. It's too early to tell. It doesn't behoove well for industrial takeoff, that's for sure.

ronya fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 25, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jose posted:

Tempted to try and make a friendship ended with goatse now prolapse is my best friend meme

:doit:!!!

It is after all the end-times

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Start a big charity crowdfunding event and burn it on a stream when you hit 100K

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jose posted:

motherfucker why didnt you ban them

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jose posted:

in case people aren't aware the people who run bread and roses are dodgy as gently caress. like 2 sex pests and someone who outs trans people dodgy

if this is the case that really just makes it par for the course in terms of leftist SA spinouts, SA spinouts in general, SA itself.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
crispx was occasionally on discord, he's a good dude.

i was given this account and plat from a friend. i have had on and off periods with SA over the years - think i checked out just before LF went super super maoist third worldist intense irony mode. i can credibly say i've never paid for SA (although i confess i bought a friend a rereg once jbreton was cool)

i came to this thread from the bitcoin thread around 2013, i want to say, because the SNP were talking about using a digital cryptocurrency and lol. i came here to argue about nationalism and like a vile curse i remained. i treasured the opportunity to argue about something i am passionate about, and i adored it. it's strange, i kind of miss it? as i have said before, arguing with nationalists isn't just a moral obligation, it's both easy and fun. nations are ridiculous foundationally, the innate absurdity makes for some genuinely enjoyable scraps. i'll miss getting back on my bullshit.

it's kind of hard to separate the elements of my radicalization from my real life experience from shitposting in this thread. i suppose this thread gave me certain elements of my rhetoric - gave me the language and ideas to articulate our hellish reality. that was really important to me, and i am grateful for you all.

the signs were there with lowtax but we chose to ignore them. that sucks, and we all kind of suck for it, but there's nothing to be done about it but direct action. the only credit i give is that once the light was finally shined on his behaviour we almost all made the right call to condemn that poo poo.

shoutouts to the mystery redtext person. shoutouts to ronya, even though they annoy the poo poo out of me. shoutouts to the member of parliament for the starwars expanded universe, guto bebb, shoutouts to the dude named guto, i'm sorry if it seemed like i was having a go it's a cool name. shoutouts to coohoolie, it was always fun to argue with you and we both learned stuff, i hope. shoutouts to both the UKMT DnD games i'm in, love you nerds. shoutouts to cerv, a genuinely cool person and a different and valuable perspective. shoutouts to the ukmt trans crew, coolest posters in this thread. shoutouts to jose for not sending me pictures of a butthole inside out, we should play dnd when i move to newcastle. shoutouts to our long suffering and hard working guavanaut for herding our cats. too many people to mention - i have enjoyed so many of your posts.

i have described this as the worst thread, and it is. it's the best worst thread on the forums. i would miss this place terribly. if this is the end, i suppose i will.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Julio Cruz posted:

the problem is that thoughtful and sincere posts about how neoliberalism is the solution, actually are worth about as much to me as a bucket of warm piss

Welcome to the 'debate and discussion' subforum. :shrug: There's always a mute button for their posts if you don't want to read them.

Haakman, sending goondolences. There aren't really any words that will do, so have a :glomp:

Edit:

crispix posted:

verrrry different

This is all I think of when I see 'Mike Gapes'

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i loving forgot twisto! you're a cool dude too, thanks for being there on election night. so many cool people, apologies if i missed you.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

I think the fracturing into smaller tribes idea holds up quite well alongside the results you occasionally get from e.g yougov's big dive into the coordination and contradictions of various loose ideologies among the british public, and it's both expected by everyone except structuralists and happens to quite handily predict exactly what just happened in the uk - a completely unified left/liberal pact can possibly beat away the tories but it's also a ridiculous nonsense idea because they're not compatable beliefs or ruling ideologies. Unless the ethnonationalists win so absolutely that they can come for your global industries, it's back to "man I hope the massive over50 ethnonationalist contigent die slightly before the nice over50s do"

But, bluntly, "social spending remains up" doesn't even pass inflation checks since austerity, and it's never withstood scrutiny under neoliberalism either. The evolution of beaurocratic labour to such dominance in the UK isn't a coincidence, it's because we have half a million loving lawyers and accountants and they're obviously better at lawyer and accountant poo poo than everyone else, which is the only acceptable method of protest and organisation to both the people being protested and the people leading the opposition. You cannot seperate this from what liberalism wishes to do economically, to create value out of thin air because all alternatives require challenging global capital, because that "spend" has to now deal with CoL increase and general inflation and subcontractors and fees and new avenues for corruption and the naked excess of c-level culture and visible and obvious damage to services, both in function and viability. You create the beurocrats to push the paper because you already lost the multikulti/race to the bottom dilemna and can't actually create meaningful jobs without loving up landlords. And the beurocrats are expensive, and they are powerful, and your services die, and the beurocrats have a decades long row about whether it not it's immigrants fault while the "it's not" campaign, yeah, refuses to talk about anything but cultural sensitivies, and does this badly. Your spending doesn't mean anything and the differences of the lived experiences of your tribes have now become irreconcilable. Nobody who bought their house before neoliberalism can actually "get it" for the same reasons American billionaires do not understand how people could even think union busting is bad. It didn't happen to them. It doesn't matter to them. They cannot actually identify the problem to deal with it. I'd honestly rather anyone just tried to refute Graeber himself than my rehash, I've not really seen much success there though.

You can keep your argument that beurocratic reformism has actually achieved some things but it's absolutely not willing to deal with criticism of how and why it became dominant, and whether that serves everybody, without booting itself hard in the face and continuing the lob free ammunition to "anti-beurocratic" penpushers and capitalists alike for their racially inflammatory campaigns. If beurocratic reformism can't do that, and it clearly does not tolerate other avenues to power, then what are you left with? and if the beurocratic reformists power originates inside global capital, and their existence cannot be reconciled with internationalism (because of the boot-face thing), then what implentations are there other than the destruction of the middle class in Badiou's terms, and the embracing of the migratory proletariat, of Kerala, of Cuba, of eastern and southern europe, or a nationalist economic liberalism and subcontracting bonanza?

I should read Mészáros I guess, another thanet lad with good opinions

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

motherfucker why didnt you ban them

They've never posted in gbs and I think stopped posting on sa altogether when the news became public

It sure would be nice if lowtax just handed the keys over for sa

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
One of my more Sensible friends is very confused about this tactical error from Starmer. Why would Sir Remain QC take the sting out of the Jenrick affair by filling the papers with Labour infighting again?

Kinda wish I had that innocence. His tactics make a lot more sense when you know where his real enemies are.

Also big loving yikes at Kyanka. Every time he’s showed his face on SA since I can remember he’s come across as profoundly trashy and weirdly fragile at the same time. Before I even registered I remember him posting a massive whiny rant about a ‘crazy ex’ on the front page. On the rare occasions he turned up to post he would spew lovely white noise or beg for money and run off crying if he didn’t get his sweaty toes sucked enough. For a dude who built his rep on the super edgy poison womb site he couldn’t take a bit of gentle stick about mangosteen.

Creation is a dependent process I suppose and we never end up making what we intended. A genuinely interesting and cool community developed on this site, and though the whims of an abusive deadbeat played a role, they were never in control.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jose posted:

They've never posted in gbs and I think stopped posting on sa altogether when the news became public

if he doesn't can you steal a db dump and we'll rebuild it elsewhere?

zhar
May 3, 2019

josh04 posted:

if he doesn't can you steal a db dump and we'll rebuild it elsewhere?

pretty sure only jeffrey has db access and that sounds illegal on several levels

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I got banned by lowtax because be didn't realise I was a mod lol

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jose posted:

man, like, I know you have mostly good intentions, but I really wish this had become enshrined in the leper's colony before 5k people (including my dumb rear end) handed them :10bux:

hindsight and all that, but this is what silence about abuse brings :sigh:

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Some of them, yes. I've said it multiple times before but - apart from a desperate need for a copy-editor - Ronya does actually bring some solid substance to this thread, and people need to stop just piling on without addressing their points.

Fair enough, takes all sorts to make a thread. Many have gone looking for this "substance" with varying levels of success.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah sorry I should have posted about it earlier but I've largely been ignoring the forums/angry posting about starmer today

Like I'm not saying people shouldn't post there but wanted to give a heads up

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

It'd be nice if a rich person gave me all their money but that's about as likely as Lowtax giving away the thing stopping him from having to work.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I never understood the sending people a dick pic thing. Okay, part of it is my horrendous body dysphoria but I don't want to see my own junk so why would I assume anyone else would want to see it? If someone asked for a picture I'd tell them to gently caress off. Is this just a me being really old & not understanding the youth thing? As in even if it was consensual I just don't see why you would do it but when it's unsolicited it makes even less sense.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

Yeah sorry I should have posted about it earlier but I've largely been ignoring the forums/angry posting about starmer today

Like I'm not saying people shouldn't post there but wanted to give a heads up

i'm treating it as a lifeboat for now. beats nothing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

I never understood the sending people a dick pic thing. Okay, part of it is my horrendous body dysphoria but I don't want to see my own junk so why would I assume anyone else would want to see it? If someone asked for a picture I'd tell them to gently caress off. Is this just a me being really old & not understanding the youth thing? As in even if it was consensual I just don't see why you would do it but when it's unsolicited it makes even less sense.
Why do men wearing overcoats hang around in parks exposing themselves, predominantly to women?

Same drive but much lower stakes. (It's bad.)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

forkboy84 posted:

IKR I've never remotely understood the urge. Like, I don't particularly want to show my junk to my sexual partner, let alone random strangers.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Extremely glad I never donated to his patreon or anything else including forum stuff since being made a mod

https://twitter.com/RussTTrumbone/status/1276155327273152514?s=19

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Lotta good people ITT and I'll be sad if the forums die.

Thanks in particular for your great posting Baka Kaba and Borrovan. There are other great posters but I don't think I've ever seen either of you post something which wasn't insightful and/or extremely correct. Sometimes I skim the thread but you two in particular, I will always stop to read what you've written.

Honestly though like 95% of people that post here are sound as hell and another 4% on top of that are generally decent.

Thanks to all for radicalising me and setting me right on some poo poo I had badly wrong, genuinely.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jose posted:

I can't speak to the first, but I've been told BNR is extremely LGBT-positive so that latter seems strange.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

I can't speak to the first, but I've been told BNR is extremely LGBT-positive so that latter seems strange.

A lot of the people involved aren't very popular with various trans threads around the forums because they were basically using posters in those threads as a reason to get angry about the forums is my understanding of it. And it was outing an admittedly terrible poster who I think just got permabanned

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Why do men wearing overcoats hang around in parks exposing themselves, predominantly to women?

Same drive but much lower stakes. (It's bad.)

Is this a thing that happens outside of Benny Hill?

Obviously it does but I dunno, it seems the hit rate is so much higher for the tadger pic in your DMs relative to nude creeper in the park compared to the "lower stakes" thing. gently caress, sending someone a DM, unless you're doing it on a burner account which you've obsessively worked to ensure cannot be linked to you by anyway (somehow, I dunno), seems more likely to end up with you being caught & outed as a loving creeper?

But I suppose you're right, I don't really understand the exhibitionist thing either (especially the non-consensual exhibitionist bit). It's so alien to me. And I'm not claiming to be a saint, I've said some really grim poo poo in the past I'm ashamed of because I thought I was being hilariously edgy but was just being a horrible twat. There's no defence, I've apologised and the person at least said they accepted it and I've not been that way in 15 years. But even at that age, I didn't think anyone needed to see my junk.

It's hard not to reflect that the Internet was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/1276234441938083842?s=19

Lol, this is not the strong SCG response I wanted