Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

sharkytm posted:

I'd much rather Reddit than loving FB.

Well, yeah. FB is barely a step above a chat client. And worse at privacy.

e: gently caress yeah page snipe.
You got that cooktop nestled in there nicely. Looks good!

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Dunno if I'm going to keep the thread going. I really loving hate domestic abusers and don't know if I want to keep posting here as a result. I want to finish documenting the build and, assuming anyone is actually following it, finish showing you guys that process but blurgh what a wasteman.

Gonna sleep on it, I've got photos of the gas fitting so that'll be next if I keep posting.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Blacknose posted:

Dunno if I'm going to keep the thread going. I really loving hate domestic abusers and don't know if I want to keep posting here as a result. I want to finish documenting the build and, assuming anyone is actually following it, finish showing you guys that process but blurgh what a wasteman.

Gonna sleep on it, I've got photos of the gas fitting so that'll be next if I keep posting.

I think I’ve given up on updating my project thread here now too. I’ll carry on if the forums get repossessed by someone else or will carry it on in AI v2 whenever that ends up.

I like seeing your progress!

Maybe we should get a #projectupdates channel in slack?

Edit - lol CSB created a projects channel like 5 mins ago!

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 26, 2020

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Blacknose posted:

The stove looks awesome. I'm with you there. Maybe an imgur thread posted on the ai slack would work for the time being.

E: made a #projects thread on slack as Tomarse pointed out

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I guess now lowtax is loving off to the worthless obscurity he deserves we can all keep updating our project threads :v:

You're still gonna have to put up with me in the slack projects chat as well though, sorry no backsies.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Gonna carry on posting cos wasteman lowtax is gone.

Cut the drop vent through the floor.

Rigged up the gas locker.

Made fire.

Checked it all with a gas detector and had to tighten a few fittings. Going to get it properly pressure tested also.

Then onto cupboard bottoms and wiring in the fridge.

Fridge is a Dometic 12v compressor model, pulls a few amps when it's running. It comes with a 12v cigarette plug, but I wanted it hidden away and it seemed to come lose constantly, so I cut the fucker off and hardwired it in.

Then on to the super awkward bottom panels. Nothing square, lots of cutouts.

Looks OK though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
:justpost:

Hell yes now cook something!

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

The worktop isn't fixed down yet or I would. Couple more jobs before I do final fix on it.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Got that sinking feeling.

Dry fit, looks fine. Gonna fix it down tomorrow and take the protective film off so will finally start to feel like a kitchen.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

The clips for the sink are basically useless for any worktop thicker than 15mm. They don't mention this anywhere in the specs. loving Dometic.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Blacknose posted:

The clips for the sink are basically useless for any worktop thicker that 15mm. They don't mention this anywhere in the specs. loving Dometic.

If it makes you feel better budget house sinks also come with fixings that are bastards to use with 40mm worktop. can you get longer bolts from screwfix for them?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

The actual clips don't fit into the lip on the sink and the bottom of the worktop. I think I need to try and find some bigger clips or just stick it down with silicone.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That looks like the exact sink in my 91 Toyota HiAce camper (I just replaced the faucet), I have been talking to CSB, RV poo poo really hasn't changed and is pretty universal all over ha.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you have a router you can rout a recess to allow the clips to grab a 15mm section of the worktop.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I don't have a router, although I do have a dremel.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Blacknose posted:

loving Dometic.

This is a theme in two different threads now. :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

STR posted:

This is a theme in two different threads now. :v:

It's frustrating enough I want to create a rvlife parts hardware startup because gently caress the current parts climate with a rope

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Actually I love using overpriced plastic parts designed 40 years ago. Almost completely avoiding actual camper conversion parts is a total coincidence.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I remember thinking parts of my parents caravan were lovely when I was 10, good to see those parts still in production yeah.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Blacknose posted:

The actual clips don't fit into the lip on the sink and the bottom of the worktop. I think I need to try and find some bigger clips or just stick it down with silicone.

I would think (especially with a drop in) that silicone would stick that just fine. The silicone will hold it in place, the countertop lip is doing all of support. The clips aren't really doing poo poo once the silicone cures anyway.

Just put some weight on top of the sink while the silicone cures so it's nice and tight.

Vrtra
Mar 25, 2017

the monster in your nightmares
Wow, this looks badass. Can't wait to see more pictures.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Delirious Wolf posted:

Wow, this looks badass. Can't wait to see more pictures.

Thanks!

I went climbing for the first time in 3 months yesterday and was too tired today to do anything, but will be back on it tomorrow with an exciting cupboard build.

[narrators voice] it was just a boring cupboard

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Pissing with rain so no cupboard but after giving up on scraping the lovely decals off the back of the van I bought a remover wheel and jfc that was so much easier.

No more Monster Energy shite.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Now you just gotta cut/polish the paint to get rid of the fading!

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

The whole van is covered in shadows from old sign writing and the chances of me doing anything about it are exactly zero.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Blacknose posted:

The whole van is covered in shadows from old sign writing and the chances of me doing anything about it are exactly zero.

You should make it a wizard van.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Nah, doing nothing makes it ultimate stealth. That lifted, camo van in the parking lot of Tesco with PS4 game sounds coming out of it? Definitely camping illegally.

The faded red builders van with years of faded and peeled off logos? Nah, just a mate’s work truck.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

If it gets resprayed it'll be to the most inconspicuous flat satin grey imaginable, for exactly that reason.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Just found this thread, the build is looking really good! Much better than the older Master my dad converted into a camper with bits of old caravan. His was the slightly older version the the same shape with the rectangular headlights, ex patient transport non turbo diesel. The one good thing about it was that a lot of the camper bits were quick release so it could still be used as a van.

The later versions like yours were much better and a really nice drive. We had one of similar age at work and it was surprisingly good off road. Renault/Vauxhall/Opel/Nissan made some good vans in that era, great drivers, didn’t rust and pretty reliable aside from gearbox and injector maladies. Given our climate I’d take one of these over crusty ford or merc.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah caravan based conversions are easier but they always look, well, like the inside of an old caravan.

Totally agree about the van it's self. If you're going more than 5 or 10 years old in Europe just buy something French. Engines are good for over 300k with a bit of luck and they're galvanised. I think the pre-facelift versions of these had the 2.2 engine which was a bit failure prone so I avoided them all together and went for a facelift 2.5. It's got 143k on the clock so it's not new but should have a few miles in it yet.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Sealed the sink in with silicone in the end. Pretty pleased with how neat it is.

Finally got the cupboard built, painted and offered up. Some fettling to do but it'll send.

And started on cupboard doors from pallet boards.

Fit is pretty good.

Bit of finishing work still to be done on the wood, and I've got some big iron hinges to hang them with.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Looking great so far!

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Wish the stain I'm waiting for would turn up so I can get these doors hung.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I've finally gotten round to fitting the spare wheel carrier. It's a premade bracket with the correct pcd from Foundry 4x4.

Measure and drill the door.

And fit.

I think it probably needs more bracing in the back, and after chatting about it on slack I think I'm going to try and find a fabricator to knock something up. It's not going anywhere as it is but I think over time it will bounce slightly and bend the door skin is my worry.

Looks OK though. Needs a dumb wheel cover.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Some strapping of the same gauge that extends to the double wall portion at the sides would probably be adequate.

edit: maybe use "angle iron" for stiffness/strength.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Put a porthole window in the other door to balance it out visually.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I was really close to doing exactly that but decided not to in the end for a couple of reasons. Its still a possibility but I think pretty unlikely at the moment.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The porthole would intrude onto the airbrushed Wizard area.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

it can be a mystic orb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I'd need deep shag carpet if I had wizards and a porthole.

Did a first fit of the cupboard doors today.

One is a little warped but that's easy enough to fix.

Bigger concern is I opened one of them and discovered that the hinges aren't very well profiled on the actual hinge, and it immediately cracked a chunk off one of the kitchen supports. gently caress's. Sake.

So, doors back off, sand screw holes, fill with toothpicks and pva. Sand again. Repair damage. Sand again. Repaint.

Will refit them tomorrow about 4mm further in from the edge, which should clear a little better.

Then we found a tree had fallen across the river from the other side into our garden so I had to sort that.