Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I've never understood the difference really. You can pitch and flip just as well with a spinning rod without all the birdnesting, so why wouldn't you use one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Ghostnuke posted:

I've never understood the difference really. You can pitch and flip just as well with a spinning rod without all the birdnesting, so why wouldn't you use one?

I can't use my baitcaster very well at all but it seems like it should greatly reduce twisting and friction due to the way the line spools out so in theory you should get longer casts with no line twist so your baits swim gooder?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I like baitcasters better for trolling.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I find I cast a bit farther and the lure can enter the water smoother with less of a commotion using a baitcaster. And pitching/flipping is way easier on a baitcaster for me.

That said, I keep a nice spinning setup for throwing lightweight lures (less than 3/8oz total weight) or throwing stuff in a decent breeze. I can get decent distance throwing a weightless 5" fluke on a baitcaster, so that tends to be my "lets switch to spinning gear" point.

My usual load when going out bank fishing is a slightly stiffer than normal medium heavy baitcaster and a slightly stiffer than normal medium light spinning setup. They compliment each other perfectly on the bank and let me adapt to pretty much whatever is happening while I'm out there. On occasion I'll bring out my heavy rod for frogging or a more regular taper mh rod for throwing cranks, but thats rare.

But really use whatever works for you and whatever you're comfortable with. I ain't gonna judge you! (Out loud at least :v:)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:lol: the line slipped as I was finishing up spooling the new reel and managed to get a nasty bird nest without a single cast. Some idiot me forgot to max the tension out. :rip:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

:lol: the line slipped as I was finishing up spooling the new reel and managed to get a nasty bird nest without a single cast. Some idiot me forgot to max the tension out. :rip:

Here's the first of five smallmouth I pulled in, all about this size.

:snoop:

Got a hang of baitcasting pretty quick, but goddamn sudden gusts will gently caress my poo poo up quick.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Alright I'm at the lake, bass isn't open for another week. The water is 73 degrees and the only other fish in here is lake trout. I don't have a fish finder. How do I catch one?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

prom candy posted:

Alright I'm at the lake, bass isn't open for another week. The water is 73 degrees and the only other fish in here is lake trout. I don't have a fish finder. How do I catch one?

How deep? You (usually) want to fish the thermocline, the point where the warm water meets the cool water. Early on in the year it's shallower, later in the summer it's deeper. Think 30-40 ft deep for now if I had to guess. I'd use big heavy jigging spoons, jig heads with white twisters, tinsel jigs, even a large minnow or chub. You'll want to jig that thermocline. If you have something like a Dipsy then you can drop a spoon and troll the thermocline. Dipsy's allow you to cover more water but I'm still not convinced you actually catch more fish. Downriggers are the same thing, but you'll never, ever, use Dipsy's or downriggers for bass.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thanks! I think 90-110 at the deepest parts, I have a depth chart around here somewhere. The bass fishing up here is good but I'd love to mix it up and catch some lakers too. I'm here pretty much every other weekend all summer. If you're trolling a spoon how do you get a feel for the right depth?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

prom candy posted:

Thanks! I think 90-110 at the deepest parts, I have a depth chart around here somewhere. The bass fishing up here is good but I'd love to mix it up and catch some lakers too. I'm here pretty much every other weekend all summer. If you're trolling a spoon how do you get a feel for the right depth?

A plain spoon, you won't get much depth trolling. I'd say you'd be hard pressed to get deeper than 10 to 15 ft. A Dipsy diver comes with a chart that will tell you which setting and what speed will get you a particular depth. If you've got a big 1 oz jig head then jam on a white twister tail and start with that at a fairly slow speed. If your fish finder has a "flasher" mode that might help you if you're jigging.

edit : There's also lead core or copper fishing line too, but that's even more specific to deep fishing than even a Dipsy.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I think I may not have the right gear for this! Time to buy more fishing stuff.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

My baitcaster is used exclusively for fishing on the bottom of rivers.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

My baitcaster is used exclusively for fishing on the bottom of rivers.

My grandpa did as well, but he usually cast the entire reel to the bottom of the river after he couldn't untagle the birds nest.:v:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

1 lovely little crappie today, bleh

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Paddled almost 40km yesterday, caught one snook. It was a lovely day on the water though, glassed out at times and several pods of dolphins came and swam in front of the yak which is always super cool.

I took this at the halfway mark of the day, just before I turned around and headed back. Just chilling in 65m of water 10km from the nearest land. Unfortunately the other photos I took are coming out really blurry because my phone is struggling to focus on distant objects. Also lol at Navionics claiming the Indian Ocean is located in Bass Strait, must be why they have a bunch of disclaimers about using their maps for navigation purposes...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Your snook is different than our US Gulf of Mexico snook. Love to see a picture of it next time and any other names it might have.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Your snook is different than our US Gulf of Mexico snook. Love to see a picture of it next time and any other names it might have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_barracuda

They make good shark and snapper bait, but that's about it unless you have a good fish cake recipe. They fight like a bit of seaweed but they have really sharp teeth and can cut your line if you give them half a chance.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

prom candy posted:

Get a downrigger (or 6, if it's legal in your state) if you're serious about lakers. If that's not in the budget, you can buy diving spoons that will work at a certain depth at a specific speed. Ask at your local bait shop/fishing shop for how deep the lake trout are. Buy something from them and support them. I've never fished for lakers, but one trick to know when trolling is to drive the boat in S shapes. This will vary the speed of the lures. The inside one will slow down and the outside one will speed up. If you always hook up on the outside of an S, speed up the boat. Slow down if you're getting inside hook-ups.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Well if the forums get nuked it was nice posting about fishing with y'all and thanks for the dick lure, I'll catch a fish on it one day I swear.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

This was a good thread and I enjoyed posting in it with ya'll. :c00l:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

An international fishing discord would be cool.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
My kids caught a mess of catfish the other day (still no Big One) and look forward to doing it again. I'll teach them more about caring for the fish and the environment (there was a bunch of trash there so we'll bring some trash bags).

This is a good thread. Thank you.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Love this thread, tight lines everyone if the forums go

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gay picnic defence posted:

Well if the forums get nuked

Is this a real thing that is happening?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tesilential posted:

Is this a real thing that is happening?
since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I’m going fishing today. I hope the forums don’t die before I can give a fish report

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I only read my bookmarks, who is "low tax"

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Someone who abuses women.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

Someone who abuses women.

m...mods knew?!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I made a Discord channel: Goon Angling Society. I refuse to stop sending dickspoons around the world and I like you weirdos so please consider joining.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks man. I've never used discord but looks like it's time to learn

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You’d be welcome at the GiP too KoB.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Awesome

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Awesome, biggest river flood in years, downstream is gonna be useless for weeks.

Casu Marzu posted:

My grandpa did as well, but he usually cast the entire reel to the bottom of the river after he couldn't untagle the birds nest.:v:

I "caught" a couple of tangled up reels with that same baitcaster, now that you mention it.

King of Bees posted:

Love this thread, tight lines everyone if the forums go

Gentlemen, it has been an honor whining about catching dinks and bitching about the weird rubes one can only find on fishing piers with you.

As far as ethics, finally I can say that painstakingly blocking every ad source on the forums was worth it

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Well poo poo, I'm on the discord server now just incase everything implodes.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
They can take away my forums, but they can never take my improved clinch knot. Or carolina rig.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

m...mods knew?!

I ain't know poo poo. :colbert:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Woodpile posted:

They can take away my forums, but they can never take my improved clinch knot. Or carolina rig.

I'd let 'em take it and use a palomar

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I made a Discord channel: Goon Angling Society. I refuse to stop sending dickspoons around the world and I like you weirdos so please consider joining.

Link says invite is expired, is this still open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Link says invite is expired, is this still open?

Here you go! https://discord.gg/xE9Ng5