Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mister Olympus posted:

Same but the opposite. I'm right by the lake, far north, and it's about 50/50, maybe 60/40 in favor of maskless just on people walking around.

When I went to the loop last week, it was more like 80% maskless and people just sitting in restaurants like nothing. Disgusting.

I live in Naperville and other than grocery stores and national chains this has been my experience. Went to a brewery near me and I was the only one wearing a mask. The maskless bartender rold me wearing a mask was up to me and she didn't care. Had to get my car fixed too and the 3 garages I went to had nobody wearing a mask and one owner tried to shake my hand. People seem to keep their distance when I've gone for a run but more people than I would like don't care.

Also went to visit a friend who's job for Verizon requires him to drive around downtown Chicago going into places to check cell sites. He told me he stopped wearing a mask because he hasn't caught the virus yet so its overblown. He was making fun of me for being scared of the little virus because I wore a mask around him. His wife was also visibly disappointed I refused to hug her. It feels like out here I'm in the minority because I'm trying to protect myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Prime example of how people in southern Illinois look at this whole situation (beyond the lack of masks or social distancing):

Yesterday, a truck suddenly pulled into my driveway and a 3rd grade girl ran up to our front door. I realized that it was a friend of my daughter whose mom just moved into the neighborhood (3 or so houses away). She had just spent the weekend at her dad’s house and he needed to head to work so she wanted to stay at our house until her mom got home.

Feeling completely backed into a corner, I said yes and literally when the dad heard yes (he never even got out of the truck just rolled down the windows), he drove off. Important, I have never talked to him before and have only talked to the mom once.

So my daughters begin playing with her outside for a while before they came inside. The girl then tells me that she just got back from Florida on Monday and they got out just in time because a bunch of people believe that the virus is bad so they were closing stuff down. When I told her that it was an issue and that we have been taking it seriously, she said that her family does not do quarantine because it is just meant to scare people.

I then decide it is time for her to see if her mom was home so we walked to her house. Mom was not (she was apparently getting a new tattoo) but teenage sister was so I left her at home.

I really want to live in the country away from people.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I would have called CPS - they just randomly dropped their kid off with you without notice, assuming you would watch them? And they have been traveling around to hot states?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had a door to door salesman on a segway stop by last week, no mask, no sanitizer, just a clipboard. I didn't answer the door but after he wheeled off I watched him through the window and he stopped at the next house and did the same thing.

Clearly selling me pest control or a new shingles or whatever it was this time is 'essential work.'

(in Wheaton)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

xzzy posted:

I had a door to door salesman on a segway stop by last week, no mask, no sanitizer, just a clipboard. I didn't answer the door but after he wheeled off I watched him through the window and he stopped at the next house and did the same thing.

Clearly selling me pest control or a new shingles or whatever it was this time is 'essential work.'

(in Wheaton)

had that 3 days in a row with pest control guys who just couldn't take no for a loving answer

please go zip back down the driveway like a doofus on your segway

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The random soliciting ATT guys had masks on but pulled them down as soon as they started into their monologue. The "can we look at your roof?" guys had nothing and didn't even back away from the door when I opened it. Brookfield/LaGrange area I'd say is 95% (sort of) masked in decent stores and maybe 75% is the gas station/7-11 type places. Don't expect that to last through.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Yeah, in Effingham you would think that the virus doesn't exist. Virtually no one wears masks, restaurants were advertising on Facebook that they were doing indoor seating. Bars were opening before they should. My wife and I plan on getting the hell out of here as soon as we can.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

KDdidit posted:

The random soliciting ATT guys had masks on but pulled them down as soon as they started into their monologue. The "can we look at your roof?" guys had nothing and didn't even back away from the door when I opened it. Brookfield/LaGrange area I'd say is 95% (sort of) masked in decent stores and maybe 75% is the gas station/7-11 type places. Don't expect that to last through.

Hello fellow near western suburbanite. I think these numbers are accurate. Probably as at the gas stations, to be honest, but all normal stores have been good. Watched a woman chase a man around a store yelling at him for not wearing a mask.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Carbondale, I mostly see masks on the 40 and up crowd. The 30ish don't seem to wear them much, and teens are a gamble.

Also, a fast food place had to put up a sign because people kept trying to use the drive through while walking.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Devo posted:

I had to go into Champaign over the weekend to pick up a new washer and went out to eat while I was there. It was stupidly nice out so downtown was packed, but everyone was wearing masks and keeping distance from people not in their groups. It helps that all the seating is outdoors too. Anecdotal I know, but it feels like we’re doing pretty well in this part of the state.

Missed the Mahomet prom story did you? (Mahomet is a nigh lily white town just outside Champaign where people move to because the tony subdivisions are getting ‘too dark’ if you know what I mean)

https://newschannel20.com/news/local/students-at-mahomet-seymour-schools-test-positive-for-covid-19

About 40-50 kids gathered in one of the kids parents basements back on June 13th for an unofficial prom, which the parents supposedly had the kids sign waivers for. 10 kids at least have now come down with it, one of which worked at a local Jimmy Johns and another who was in a drivers ed class. Supposedly others may have been part of sports practices. All are of course now cancelled. This is the second house party that’s led to an outbreak, another was a Schnucks employee who invited a bunch of coworkers. Schnucks is a local grocery chain.
And this is before school has started or college kids have come back for school in the fall (yes they’re planning on in person classes).
I’ve heard rumors of lots of house parties in off campus housing as well.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Peoria. only about 30% of people near me seem to be taking it seriously. Lots of people at work on grocery stores are doing "Nose out" masks or just pulling them down.

God moving here was a mistake.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Oracle posted:

Missed the Mahomet prom story did you? (Mahomet is a nigh lily white town just outside Champaign where people move to because the tony subdivisions are getting ‘too dark’ if you know what I mean)

Well yeah, I said Champaign not Mahomet :v:

I'm a high school teacher (not in Mahomet though), and believe me that story has the group texts flying. Doesn't change the fact that it was nice to get out and eat outdoors and the people in Champaign were doing well!

ps Mahomet sucks and their teacher contract is poo poo and you can't even afford to live there if you teach in that town

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Devo posted:

Well yeah, I said Champaign not Mahomet :v:

I'm a high school teacher (not in Mahomet though), and believe me that story has the group texts flying. Doesn't change the fact that it was nice to get out and eat outdoors and the people in Champaign were doing well!

ps Mahomet sucks and their teacher contract is poo poo and you can't even afford to live there if you teach in that town

Mahomet is just a bedroom community of Champaign though, lots of people work in CU and then drive home to their enclave.

And yes Mahomet sucks their latest dick move is halting building all new apartment construction to make sure the 'right kind' of people are moving in.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

still wondering how we're going to Phase 4 since I thought that required contact tracing which doesn't exist yet

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Oracle posted:

Mahomet is just a bedroom community of Champaign though, lots of people work in CU and then drive home to their enclave.

And yes Mahomet sucks their latest dick move is halting building all new apartment construction to make sure the 'right kind' of people are moving in.
Some of the best folks I've ever known grew up in Mahomet.

None of them live there anymore, tho.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Oracle posted:

Do they say "Chicago people" and it's totally clear to everyone what they actually mean by that?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Bobulus posted:

Carbondale, I mostly see masks on the 40 and up crowd. The 30ish don't seem to wear them much, and teens are a gamble.

Also, a fast food place had to put up a sign because people kept trying to use the drive through while walking.

What's the deal with the wineries, are they open? Can I go to the Cellar's "patio"?

I loving miss Carbondale, haven't been back in two years.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Sarcastro posted:

Do they say "Chicago people" and it's totally clear to everyone what they actually mean by that?

Well all the Chicago People moved into Rantoul apartments and look what happened there! Not in Mahomet!

the nice thing about quarantine is that I’m home and people in bowling alleys don’t talk to me anymore

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sarcastro posted:

That's pretty ubiquitous down here among those that comment on news articles on Facebook.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Sarcastro posted:

At least in Bloomington/Normal, it's 100% clear and obvious.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Beastie posted:

What's the deal with the wineries, are they open? Can I go to the Cellar's "patio"?

I loving miss Carbondale, haven't been back in two years.

I haven't been going, but I believe the rural wineries opened at the end of May for outdoor seating, ditto the Cellar's patio.

Town has been pretty quiet lately, since spring and summer classes switched over to online only and a bunch of the students went home (The first big outbreak in town was allegedly a student infecting his whole dorm). They're still planning on having in-person classes for the fall, though.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

When I was out in Northbrook where my Mom lives running some errands for her, I was surprised at how serious everyone took it. Every single person in the Jewel had a mask on. Everyone was cool with social distancing too. I think it's a town ordinance or something that you can't enter a shop without one.

Looking up, they haven't really had many cases since the initial rush. So this poo poo works. I don't understand why it is so hard to understand. We can go back to being semi-normal if we just keep a distance and wear masks.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

dwarf74 posted:

At least in Bloomington/Normal, it's 100% clear and obvious.

Agreed and also it's doubly funny in BloNo considering how many ISU students are from Chicago

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Niwrad posted:

When I was out in Northbrook where my Mom lives running some errands for her, I was surprised at how serious everyone took it. Every single person in the Jewel had a mask on. Everyone was cool with social distancing too. I think it's a town ordinance or something that you can't enter a shop without one.

Looking up, they haven't really had many cases since the initial rush. So this poo poo works. I don't understand why it is so hard to understand. We can go back to being semi-normal if we just keep a distance and wear masks.

Northbrook, Deerfield, Buffalo Grove, etc. all seemed to have taken it super super seriously. Northbrook had drive-thru mask handouts for residents back in March and April. The Woodman's in Buffalo Grove is 100% masks on or they don't want your business. I'm a big fan.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Shere posted:

Northbrook, Deerfield, Buffalo Grove, etc. all seemed to have taken it super super seriously. Northbrook had drive-thru mask handouts for residents back in March and April. The Woodman's in Buffalo Grove is 100% masks on or they don't want your business. I'm a big fan.

I mean this area is also suburbs.jpg, I gotta imagine theres not a lot of people around who are stuck going in to work in person

agreed on the Woodman's tho, it's been extremely convenient

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

894 more cases today, little or no contact tracing

open'r up, boys

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cases are ramping up everywhere at absurd rates. poo poo is turning into the stage for V for Vendetta (movie version).

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

I mean this area is also suburbs.jpg, I gotta imagine theres not a lot of people around who are stuck going in to work in person

agreed on the Woodman's tho, it's been extremely convenient

Drove to Niles today for a grocery run. Lots of people out but everyone I saw was taking it seriously. Masks, distancing. I hope this new stage doesn't make them complacent.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Niwrad posted:

I don't understand why it is so hard to understand. We can go back to being semi-normal if we just keep a distance and wear masks.

AIN'T NO ONE GONNA TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!! :bahgawd:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's okay for the gubmint to tell women what to do with their bodies and where boys can put their dick, but wearing protective equipment? TOO FAR. :bahgawd:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Hell Darren Bailey put out a video this morning using Bible quotes to explain why it is right for students and parents to defy their teachers and administration when it comes to mask wearing.

Also, his lawyer, Thomas Devore, stated that he will be happy to sue any schools that implement these guidelines.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

brugroffil posted:

894 more cases today, little or no contact tracing

open'r up, boys

Yea, we need to postpone this. It's obvious that even the phase 3 reopening is causing cases to climb. We're going to be like Florida in a few weeks. Well maybe not quite that bad, but probably back up to 1,000 or even 2,000 new cases a day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And the CDC just put out a statement that actual cases are likely to be ten times greater than the numbers generated with testing.

So once a place hits that 1000+ a day mark the area is well and truly hosed.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

hmm, sorry, but we met our metrics* so it's time to OPEN UP WOOOOO!!!!

*no we didn't

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, we need to postpone this. It's obvious that even the phase 3 reopening is causing cases to climb. We're going to be like Florida in a few weeks. Well maybe not quite that bad, but probably back up to 1,000 or even 2,000 new cases a day.

It's not obvious though. There is certainly the risk of a spike in the future (as always), but we've continued to see a steady progress despite phase 3. Some counties are doing bad but lots of areas, including Chicago, are improving despite the reopenings and mass protests.

The politicization of this is crazy - people are so emotionally invested in "My gut feeling is right unlike those IDIOTS on the other side" that they are denying the science.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well the science is starting to report how devastating the long term effects can be when one survives the initial infection, so I think advocating for excessive caution is perfectly reasonable.

Sure, things are looking promising for the overall population but when you get down to an individual person making decisions for themselves, watching the government reopen stuff right now feels really premature.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Texas reopened and is now having to put restrictions back in place (here's the order if you care to read it: https://gov.texas.gov/uploads/files/press/EO-GA-28_targeted_response_to_reopening_COVID-19.pdf) to try and limit the damage from the last few weeks. I would be shocked if Florida didn't follow suit with how they're spiking. Then again, it's Florida, so...

Regardless, we're at the point that enough of the country has decided that social distancing and wearing a mask are somehow intolerable burdens and as a result we're basically back to just letting COVID burn through the populace unchecked. If not enough people do literally the simplest things to combat the spread, it's not going to make enough of a difference.

I understand people who are required to go to work or worried about safety, but the only people I've seen bitching about masks are Karen-types because "MAH PERSONAL LIBERTY!" Holy poo poo are people ever being selfish about this.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

esquilax posted:

It's not obvious though. There is certainly the risk of a spike in the future (as always), but we've continued to see a steady progress despite phase 3. Some counties are doing bad but lots of areas, including Chicago, are improving despite the reopenings and mass protests.

The politicization of this is crazy - people are so emotionally invested in "My gut feeling is right unlike those IDIOTS on the other side" that they are denying the science.

We were supposed to have widespread contact tracing for phase 4.

Where is it? Is plateauing at 500+ cases a day sustainable with opening up even more? Especially what seem like high risk activities of indoor bars and restaurants?

E: per Johns Hopkins, Illinois 3 day rolling average is trending up after being steady for a bit

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 26, 2020

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

esquilax posted:

Maybe obvious is an overstatement, but our case rate was dropping steadily, then it stalled at around 600 cases/day, and now it’s climbing back up. We were at less cases when we shutdown the first time, although testing was scarce back then. I just don’t have a lot of confidence that phase 3 is really containing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

From
https://coronavirus.illinois.gov/s/restore-illinois-phase-3

HOW WE MOVE TO THE NEXT PHASE
Tracing: Begin contact tracing and monitoring within 24 hours of diagnosis for more than 90% of cases in region

From
https://coronavirus.illinois.gov/s/restore-illinois-phase-4

quote:

PHASE 4: REVITALIZATION
WHAT THIS PHASE LOOKS LIKE
There is a continued decline in the rate of infection in new COVID-19 cases. Hospitals have capacity and can quickly adapt for a surge of new cases in their communities. Additional measures can be carefully lifted allowing for schools and child care programs to reopen with social distancing policies in place. Restaurants can open with limited capacity and following strict public health procedures, including personal protective equipment for employees. Gatherings with 50 people or fewer will be permitted. Testing is widely available, and tracing is commonplace.

We flat-out are nowhere near tracing being "commonplace," yet nobody even seems to be questioning rushing to phase 4. "The science" says we need robust tracing measures to smother any outbreaks that flare up.

If you go to any indoor gatherings right now you're a loving moron.