Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I do not trust BnR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I have a hard time trusting pretty much any SA offshoot because you just know its made up of people who all got booted off and decided to create their own forums. With blackjack.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Skelicopter posted:

Another option I haven't seen mentioned here yet is breadnroses.net, which is a pretty functional SA alternative and already has a (currently under-used) LP subforum.
Wasn't there a place issuing invite codes for refugees, to avoid the :10bux: charge?

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Xander77 posted:

Wasn't there a place issuing invite codes for refugees, to avoid the :10bux: charge?

That might or might not be more than a myth. Just visit the LP Discord. Sometimes the light is not a freight train coming your way.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, unless the mods manage to fix the situation on here (no timescale on that but hopefully they'll succeed soon), we're moving over to LPBeach. If you're following any LPers who haven't seen the news yet, it might be worth pointing this out to them too. It'll be more successful if we're all together. That's especially more important for SSLPs too.

e: Note: The site is still under work but it's functional. They're working on an image host and its presentation now, but there's a suggestion board too.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Honestly, if "oh yeah, I was in a pretty poo poo place in my life, but I really fell apart when this internet forum I liked closed down" is going to be a key point in my character arc, that's just...

Ironic? Weirdly appropriate?

:chef kiss:?

If it's important to you then it matters, period.

Community takes a lot of different shapes especially in these modern times. This internet forum you liked is part of your community and losing that does matter, but just remember that the people who made it up don't just disappear when it does. Everything is scarier when you're anticipating it than when it's over and this is going to end too.

It's kinda childish but my absolute favorite book of all times is The Little Prince. There's a chapter in it called The Little Prince Tames the Fox (link) that I refer to every time I change environments or say goodbye to people who matter to me (in my field it's way more common than I'd prefer). Basically it has to do with the idea of "taming" a thing, and how a person, thing, or animal being tame is a reflection both of how much they matter to you and how much you matter to them. Even when you say goodbye forever what matters is the impact they had on you and you had on them, and it's important to remember that you impacted others because depression makes it easy to believe you don't matter, and I'm telling you that you do.

So follow this thread for now, your community may change and may migrate to a new site and you may even end up saying goodbye to some people but just keep in mind through it all that you're gonna be ok in the end.

Cuveball Sliders fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 25, 2020

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
slowbeef harassed children and mentally vulnerable people for a decade on youtube with no repercussions. idk if he even posts here anymore but i always thought that was weird

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

Yoya posted:

slowbeef harassed children and mentally vulnerable people for a decade on youtube with no repercussions. idk if he even posts here anymore but i always thought that was weird

Retsupray was an absolutely lovely concept and I admit I laughed right along and supported it at the time, one of the many things I regret about my early to mid 20's. I still enjoy Slowbeef's game streams and he seems much more mellow (fatherhood probably has that effect), but I'd genuinely like to know how he feels about some of those videos now.

As far as I know he never took them down. I think he left around the same time Voidburger, Chip, and Ironicus did but I don't think it was over the same issue.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Cuveball Sliders posted:

Retsupray was an absolutely lovely concept and I admit I laughed right along and supported it at the time, one of the many things I regret about my early to mid 20's. I still enjoy Slowbeef's game streams and he seems much more mellow (fatherhood probably has that effect), but I'd genuinely like to know how he feels about some of those videos now.

As far as I know he never took them down. I think he left around the same time Voidburger, Chip, and Ironicus did but I don't think it was over the same issue.

He and Beetus don't exactly look fondly at a fair few of them, and they've definitely moved past and beyond them.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Beef said a couple times that the main reason they pivoted to riffing longplays was because they realized it was pretty lovely to make fun of people like that, and good god that was like ten years ago how the hell is that possible

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They pivoted cause people were being assholes and going after those they riffed. I remember one video of a kickstarter project where a bunch of people started harassing the guy and beefus took the video down and made another saying "knock this poo poo off"

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

Yeah, unless the mods manage to fix the situation on here (no timescale on that but hopefully they'll succeed soon), we're moving over to LPBeach. If you're following any LPers who haven't seen the news yet, it might be worth pointing this out to them too. It'll be more successful if we're all together. That's especially more important for SSLPs too.

e: Note: The site is still under work but it's functional. They're working on an image host and its presentation now, but there's a suggestion board too.

Forum looks good, and people are already posting and stuff. Seems like the best option to me honestly.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Thank you for the link to the Beach, I registered a short time ago.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Gloomy Rube posted:

Forum looks good, and people are already posting and stuff. Seems like the best option to me honestly.

Yeah, I've got the same impression. It's certainly quite populated already, considering that it's only gone up a day ago (though the people behind it had been working on it since the FYAD affair in January; it's kind of an incredible stroke of luck that they already had it mostly ready when this whole mess here happened (just in case, I should probably clarify that the LP Beach admins are very much not the sort of people who were fond of FYAD)).

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 25, 2020

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007
What happened in FYAD? I remember it being terrible but I wasn't around in January

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They had a hundreds-page-long thread "ironically" discussing transphobic conspiracy theories

People noticed, the thread got locked, there was a large ruckus in QCS, and FYAD got locked down for a while

Lowtax stepped in eventually, gave FYAD a warning, then reopened it, and FYAD immediately started up a thread about sucking off Hitler or some poo poo

Then FYAD got nuked

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Do LPix/the SS test poster work outside of SA proper?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do LPix/the SS test poster work outside of SA proper?

They do, but Baldurk does not want them to be used outside of SA. The folks at LP Beach are working on their own host though, and it should be up within the next few days.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
If the mods don't want this here for any reason, please feel free to delete and I will take whatever punishment you give. After considering the situation today, I decided my initial impulse to remain silent was well-intentioned but incorrect, and have posted a nearly identical version of this in the LP threads I currently have active.

Why I'm Not Jumping Ship

I don't know if posting this is the right thing to do. I would prefer just to keep focused on the LPs themselves - that is after all what I do here - but with some of the rhetoric being tossed around I don't want people to get the wrong impression of my perspective here.

Everyone should do what they believe is best - if that means you don't want to participate with anyone still hanging around SA, do that and I wish you a great life. But I will decidedly not be part of the bash-Lowtax bandwagon. Here's why:

** This should go without saying, but the behavior that's been alleged is inexcusable and wrong.

** It's not my place to judge Lowtax. That's for others to do. If guilty, I hope he gets punished for it.

** Me leaving SA would not punish Lowtax. I've never contributed to his Patreon or directly interacted with him in any way.

** For me to leave because I didn't want to be associated with the website due to these allegations would be grossly hypocritical for two reasons. One, I know for a fact I consume products every day from companies who do far worse. I put gas in my car. I buy clothes and food. I support reform in how many industries are permitted to do business, but the point is stack up the evils perpetrated by those organizations to what we're talking about here and it's not close. And I'm not even buying anything I haven't already bought from Lowtax. It's not at all clear to me, contrary to rhetoric from a lot of corners right now, that there even is a moral component to doing business with those who do things we don't like. If that's the case, might as well outlaw all commerce right now.

** The second reason is I'm not any better than Lowtax. I've never committed those kinds of violent acts he's accused of, but part of that is probably me being a rank coward and possessing rampaging social anxiety. I certainly know I have done a great many things in my life I'm not proud of. For me to self-righteously point fingers while knowing the people I've hurt through my own selfish stupidity that I would erase in a hearbeat if I had the chance - I don't, all I can do is try to be a more noble person with the rest of my life - would be absurd and dishonest.

So here I am, continuing on. Not in support of Lowtax, but in support of the community here that has given me far more than I could ever return to it no matter what I choose to do, and because it has value for me. I also believe that forgiveness and grace are among the greatest values, and I extend those to others just as I would hope they would extend them to me when I am an unmitigated asshat.

Feel free to make whatever judgements you wish.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Most people are for offsites because we figure Lowtax is going to flip poo poo and shut SA down, FYI, not just because they want to leave. You can post here and on the beach at the same time

E: also uh you prolly shouldnt speculate about how you'd beat women if you werent a coward that's kinda weird

Danaru fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 26, 2020

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Perhaps my survey of what people have been saying isn't thorough enough. I've seen a lot of blanket 'anyone staying isn't doing the right thing'. That's what prompted me to post.

Danaru posted:

also uh you prolly shouldnt speculate about how you'd beat women if you werent a coward that's kinda weird

I don't think that's what I said. The point is that we all have grave moral flaws and I'm not going to put myself on a self-appointed pedestal and say mine aren't as bad.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I don't know about elsewhere, but on the SALP subforum all I've seen is people either afraid of it all being burned to the ground, or just personally not wanting to support Lowtax. Not seen many judgments. I hope too many people aren't being dicks?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Danaru posted:

Most people are for offsites because we figure Lowtax is going to flip poo poo and shut SA down, FYI, not just because they want to leave. You can post here and on the beach at the same time

I figure that if he was gonna shut SA down, he would have by now.

CrashScreen posted:

I don't know about elsewhere, but on the SALP subforum all I've seen is people either afraid of it all being burned to the ground, or just personally not wanting to support Lowtax. Not seen many judgments. I hope too many people aren't being dicks?

Just continue to stay out of GBS and you'll be fine.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jeffrey buyin' it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS is throwing a big benefit concert to save the rec center!

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal
Hopefully that will be enough to stop people from leaving and get most of those who left to come back.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I sincerely hope that this goes through and we don't have to deal with the splinter sites and whatnot, but I won't believe until the ink is dry and the Taxman takes his leave. Consider me cautiously optimistic, but nothing more for now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I can't wait to delete all these discord channels

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Leal posted:

Not emptyquoting. B&R have already had to purge leadership for sexpest reasons, lmao. Even the escape forums were... Something awful. :v:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Time for Jeffery to set up a Patreon, so he can buy a sweet ride and some cookies.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I'm all for the buyout, but the goatse in the announcement post is tasteless. Please remove it.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

Strategic Sage posted:

I don't think that's what I said. The point is that we all have grave moral flaws and I'm not going to put myself on a self-appointed pedestal and say mine aren't as bad.

I get this and I understood your original point, where I disagree is in that we shouldn't call out bad behavior just because we've also done bad things. I've been a complete piece of poo poo to people and burned plenty of bridges but I've also learned from those experiences (slower than I wish) and I would say am ultimately a better person than I was, obviously not perfect but I understand who I want to be and how to get there better with every mistake.

Other people calling me out and confronting me when I hosed up has been extremely helpful in helping me with that learning process. Some of these people were not great themselves but ultimately not being rewarded for bad behavior helped me learn not to keep doing it on a chemical level, while being directly told the why helped me grasp it mentally and make the changes I've needed to make.

I understand why you feel you should stick around (especially with the forums likely transferring ownership) but I can't. To me either Kyanka sticks around or he gets a big payout, likely more than I'll ever see in one place, and walks away having made a tidy profit off being a serial abuser. The idea that morality is relative doesn't hold water when this man abused his wife in front of his children, as a married man I haven't always been the best husband but that's something I've never even considered and would be utterly disgusted with myself if I ever did. Kyanka gouged his wife's fingers so hard he drew significant blood because he wanted to see what was on her phone, and he reached over his children to do it. I've had my fingers gouged a lot in my career and it hurts like a motherfucker, and I've never had them draw blood or cause injury to the extent the police report indicated. That poor woman must have been in agony. Incredibly Kyanka fell asleep after an incident where he drew his wife's blood, with that blood still on his arm.

This isn't a case of "well everyone's kinda messed up", this is someone with serious social-emotional issues and a lack of coping skills committing terrible acts against his family that they will be dealing with for the rest of their lives. I do hope that Kyanka is able to find the help he needs to recognize his behavior for what it is and if he ever makes a comeback with sincere regret backed up by action (that's more significant than giving a tax deductible donation to a charity), I'll listen and consider supporting him then. At the moment it doesn't seem like he's even going to accept responsibility for what he did.

And yes I participate in economic activties that probably do worse, but the fundamental difference is this is ultimately something I don't have to or want to compromise on.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Leal posted:

i never joined them, i just figured if anything was decided i'd just bug someone less lazy and more plugged in for the deets :reject:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Someone tell me if Dragonatrix's Luxpain LP comes back because that drat lp has died twice now and I want to see how that game unfolds

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I hope we can reverse any auto-bans that happened during the last three days.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Xander77 posted:

I hope we can reverse any auto-bans that happened during the last three days.

that's already in the works, afaik

also i am still catching up on all of this myself because i've been pretty limited on SA since my PC died a couple weeks ago and holy poo poo. what a loving roller coaster.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
IT CAME FROM QCS:

Athanatos posted:

:siren: I just got confirmation Admins will be clearing all Auto-Bans that happened. If you know someone that did, you can let them know it should be reversed in a few days. If after a few days or so you still see one that gets missed, please let someone know. Make a QCS thread or PM me is the quickest way. I'll signal boost it till it is taken care of. :siren:

Like I said, I'm not probing anyone in QCS for poo poo that happened the past few days. I'm going to clear out some of the spam threads first. After a bit I'll tell the other threads to prep new OPs to be reposted so they can be better seen. I'm not ignoring anything, if you got problems, I want to hear them.

It's not all going to be happening at once. Nothing on paper is final, so poo poo might still go south.

I think most other forums will follow the same pattern. I don't know though, I don't mod them.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
i mean in all honesty i wouldn't mind going to an offsite, it's just that the last lp offsite i helped with kinda died
a bit discouraging yknow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Who is Jeffrey of Yospos and why are we happy about him specifically taking over?