Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
I haven't been keeping up with this thread since Covid messed up my board game playing, but I will still feel the loss if this stupid antiquated form of communication dies. You folks have been consistently the best source of news, recommendations, reviews, discussions, humor and community for board gaming anywhere, online or irl. I hope to see you all in the next place.

(Also, for anybody here who's posting nice things to the reddit, especially by responding to the bad faith arguers with impassioned and well-reasoned essays aimed at changing hearts and minds, thanks for making that place less of a hellhole and I'm glad that I'm seeing your stuff get upvoted more now than it used to a few years ago - I think you are making a difference)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Give it a minute the mod+admin team are working a solution.

SA ain't going anywhere just yet

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Amazon are setting up a team to look into sale of counterfeit goods. This may have some effect on boardgames, as a lot of knockoffs go through Amazon.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Perhaps they should look at counterfeits at the point they enter Amazon's commingled inventory, because when you buy from a reputable shop on Amazon and get a fake instead it's usually not the reputable shop's fault.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Infinitum posted:

Give it a minute the mod+admin team are working a solution.

SA ain't going anywhere just yet

Given the historical success rate of goon projects, I think I'm going to hedge my bets anyway.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jedit posted:

Amazon are setting up a team to look into sale of counterfeit goods. This may have some effect on boardgames, as a lot of knockoffs go through Amazon.

How big a problem is this? As far as I know I've never owned a bootleg game but the stuff I've picked up on Amazon is quite small in quantity compared to FLGS.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

FulsomFrank posted:

How big a problem is this? As far as I know I've never owned a bootleg game but the stuff I've picked up on Amazon is quite small in quantity compared to FLGS.

It's a pretty big problem. Amazon has a lot of third-party sellers and historically doesn't do much more than play wackamole, banning sellers when they're reported. And I wouldn't trust Amazon's team to fix things as it works out well for them. More stock, and it drives down the price of legitimate goods as they need to compete.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Well in actual board game news

1.) Mayday's 2020 Crokinole Kickstarter just started. Looks like a good deal. Caveat emptor, this is a US only KS so shipping gonna be fun for us international people. Fingers crossed SA gets wrested from the hands of Lowtax, cause I'll probably hit a goon up later for this as well :ninja:

2.) Roll Player Adventures is up on Kickstarter as well. It's by Thunderworks, creators of Cartographers + Roll Player. It's basically choose your own adventure /w dice and I'm seriously having to decide between Crokinole and this game.

3.) Feast for Odin is loving huge

Took me 1 1/2 hours to pop everything out of the punchboards out of the base game + expansion :negative:
Hilariously if Odin's box was just a bit bigger you could store everything in a single box.

4.) Tallk of Twilight Imperium in this thread has awoken my strategy game group from their long slumber, which means we're queuing up a day for TI. So now I gotta rewatch a rules video because it's been a while between drinks. :v:
Hoping to be able to play a round of that, Feast for Odin, and Brass Birmingham. I think a couple of other people have picked up some big games, so it could be an all weekend affair.

Board games are the best.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh and as an FYI Whitehall Mystery is apparently out of print.

Been speaking to the store I bought it from and I've told them imma wait for replacement parts (Cause Whitehall is legit, plus I was given the go ahead to use the parts I've got to play it)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

They mix stocks from different origins and sellers. Don't know the chance, but it's really only a danger for really popular games like Azul and wingspan.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Infinitum posted:

Took me 1 1/2 hours to pop everything out of the punchboards out of the base game + expansion :negative:
Hilariously if Odin's box was just a bit bigger you could store everything in a single box.

If you consolidate down to two trays you can fit it all. I switched out to two planos and put all same size pierces together (instead of each piece having a green slot and blue slot, etc). It even holds the promo islands that way.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I will look into that! Thank you!

I'll use the Norwegian box for all the non-used base game items then.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Infinitum posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2167861/dr-rosenlove-how-i-managed-combine-feast-odin-and

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So glad I checked this thread, I completely forgot the Crokinole kickstarter was coming up and they finally have Australian shipping as well. My wife is going to be ecstatic, she's been wanting a Crokinole board ever seen seeing the SUSD video on it/

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Man, wish I could just manifest tuckboxes out of thin air, seems like it would help a lot for this.

I don't remember when it was, but I remember playing a copy of a friend's game, except they had all the cards in nice tuckboxes with art on them, and it felt professional as hell. Helped a bit with setup/teardown, too.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Morpheus posted:

Man, wish I could just manifest tuckboxes out of thin air, seems like it would help a lot for this.

I don't remember when it was, but I remember playing a copy of a friend's game, except they had all the cards in nice tuckboxes with art on them, and it felt professional as hell. Helped a bit with setup/teardown, too.
Look at this poo poo. The boxes come into play at about 6 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lTvQ7iw52g

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mode 7 posted:

So glad I checked this thread, I completely forgot the Crokinole kickstarter was coming up and they finally have Australian shipping as well. My wife is going to be ecstatic, she's been wanting a Crokinole board ever seen seeing the SUSD video on it/

Mayday boards aren't as good as Woodestic, but they're serviceable. Get a competition size board if they offer them - it'll cost a bit more, but you'll appreciate it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Just a heads up, there are several well-documented allegations of Mayday shipping clearly defective boards, and then being hilariously poor at customer service.

A more recent example, but there are several other stories out there if you search a bit on BGG or the Internet at large:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2366156/mayday-games-damaged-crokinole-support

Back in 2011 there was a fairly infamous story about customers receiving defective boards, and then either being denied returns, or having defective boards swapped out with defective boards that had been returned by other customers.

Edit: Found it... http://www.purplepawn.com/2011/03/mayday-games-slammed-over-handling-of-crokinole-board-problems/

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 25, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
No way would I support their KS.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The fact it ships to Australia, which I didn't notice before, also means our consumer laws come into place.

Which means we get to go apeshit on companies that don't fulfil their obligations.

Still very much caveat emptor, but even with $60USD shipping it's am absolute bargain compared to a full sized tournament board here in the land of Aus

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Canada makes the best croke boards.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Is anyone following the Black Lives Matter conflict at Consimworld? The site administrator is not allowing BLM signatures because the forum does not allow "political" speech, presumably because it would interrupt all the apolitical historical discussions about the 2nd SS Panzer Division.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean it's making me continue to not want to go anywhere near the place.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

that’s just flatly absurd on every level and proves a lot of assumptions about the community unfortunately.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

that’s just flatly absurd on every level and proves a lot of assumptions about the community unfortunately.

What's flatly absurd? What silvergoose said or Consimworld? If Consimworld, I agree with you. Many times it feels like too many of these people play wargames so that they can continue to believe (with 'evidence') in misogyny and white/European supremacy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Consim. To say you don’t want things to get political when your entire hobby revolves around historical conflicts is insane and beyond parody.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I've been reading threads on BGG about that place even though I had never heard of before because :shrug: I guess I hate myself I don't know. God drat I wish BGG would actually do something to vaporize the cryptofash trolls who crawl all over that hellhole. That place should leverage its de facto monopoly and become the center of the board gaming world, but they've tolerated the loving chud termites for so long the entire house is made of poo poo and it's actually a very difficult problem to fix now. At least most of the interlocutors are not asking for decorum, they are just saying "nazi gently caress off" in 600 words.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Consim. To say you don’t want things to get political when your entire hobby revolves around historical conflicts is insane and beyond parody.

I think they kind of have to, considering that any WW2 game requires someone to be an Axis power and any ACW game requires someone to be the Confederates. Taking the stance that they're replaying battles as a tactical analysis without taking a position on the greater historical context is the only way to do that without having to find a player who isn't an actual Nazi or racist. Not that wargaming lacks such people, of course.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I kind of feel dirty playing WW2 wargames now, knowing the crowd that also likes those games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

I think they kind of have to, considering that any WW2 game requires someone to be an Axis power and any ACW game requires someone to be the Confederates. Taking the stance that they're replaying battles as a tactical analysis without taking a position on the greater historical context is the only way to do that without having to find a player who isn't an actual Nazi or racist. Not that wargaming lacks such people, of course.

I think you’re making a point on the opposite side of the discussion than you think you are. If you want or have to strip the historical and therefore political context from these games to stomach playing them, then why are you bothering to play them in the first place?

No one is saying they have to roleplay the sides, just that to strictly ban any public political stances in a community rooted in historical conflict is such a ridiculous notion it almost can’t be taken seriously. The implied ends to their position is that they *do* have people that would argue that the south or the Nazis weren’t the bad guys in said conflicts just like how they clearly view BLM supporters as being part of a both sides issue and not clearly in the right.

They even have a political blogs section on their forums. Cmon.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 25, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

I've been reading threads on BGG about that place even though I had never heard of before because :shrug: I guess I hate myself I don't know. God drat I wish BGG would actually do something to vaporize the cryptofash trolls who crawl all over that hellhole. That place should leverage its de facto monopoly and become the center of the board gaming world, but they've tolerated the loving chud termites for so long the entire house is made of poo poo and it's actually a very difficult problem to fix now. At least most of the interlocutors are not asking for decorum, they are just saying "nazi gently caress off" in 600 words.

Report any post that you think is an issue. They have become way more aggressive about shutting up the idiots.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mayveena posted:

Report any post that you think is an issue. They have become way more aggressive about shutting up the idiots.

I guess I'm too used to SA. What I really want is a USER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THIS POST. But I will try and remember to report more rather than just getting angry.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Llyranor posted:

I kind of feel dirty playing WW2 wargames now, knowing the crowd that also likes those games.

If you based your enjoyment of hobbies on the worst people who also like those hobbies you wouldn't enjoy anything.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

cenotaph posted:

If you based your enjoyment of hobbies on the worst people who also like those hobbies you wouldn't enjoy anything.

buddy I am so far ahead of you on this one

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

I think you’re making a point on the opposite side of the discussion than you think you are. If you want or have to strip the historical and therefore political context from these games to stomach playing them, then why are you bothering to play them in the first place?

That is an interesting question. But I've been hanging around wargamers since I was maybe six or seven years old - they used to have a big presence at military modelling exhibitions, which is where I discovered gaming - and the great majority of them had no real preference for a side to take. It was about simulating the conflict accurately to see what actions might have caused a different result. Ethics didn't enter into it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think then that it necessarily follows that if you’re simulating to see the different outcomes you have at least a passing interest in the ramifications of said different outcomes. That doesn’t require an ethical position but does imply a historical and therefor political interest.

I would understand a position like “I just like the tanks and vehicles of WW1 but don’t care about the geopolitical setting of their use” and I know there are folks like that, but we’re talking about the largest historical war gaming community that obviously does care about the historical settings of these conflicts.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 26, 2020

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I would understand a position like “I just like the tanks and vehicles of WW1 but don’t care about the geopolitical setting of their use” and I know there are folks like that, but we’re talking about the largest historical war gaming community that obviously does care about the historical settings of these conflicts.
To expand on this point, especially in the context of WW2, the people (in my experience) who state that they are just interested in the simulation tend to gravitate towards the Axis because, stripped of all political contexts, the Axis are more often cast in the traditional 'hero' role mechanically: elite forces with superior equipment against more poorly equipped 'horde' enemy. Which is why political context is essential imo.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I was talking with a friend of mine who is a former wargamer and I came up with the idea of having an ACW war game series consisting of the wargamer popular battles, but the map would have a light shadow of a slave in chains to remind players what they were fighting about. Probably wouldn't sell five copies, but I'd play it :).

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

hoiyes posted:

To expand on this point, especially in the context of WW2, the people (in my experience) who state that they are just interested in the simulation tend to gravitate towards the Axis because, stripped of all political contexts, the Axis are more often cast in the traditional 'hero' role mechanically: elite forces with superior equipment against more poorly equipped 'horde' enemy. Which is why political context is essential imo.

even these gameplay mechanics reflect an ideology. The myth of the elite german figther is a persistent but extremely false idea that itself comes from nazi propaganda during the second world war. same with their tanks. more world war 2 games need mechanics for simulating SS officer cocaine withdrawals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I've played a lot of WW2 strategy games and sims online over the years. I've always been fine playing both sides, because for me it was more for the military history, the what ifs (and also the weapons, the technology - "playing war", I guess) - but never about glorifying the war itself, because of course war sucks and of course Nazis were bad. There was never any debate to be had. With neo-nazis coming in the limelight more and more, it's not so clearcut anymore.

There have always been Wehraboos in WW2 online communities. They love to brag about German technological superiority and complain about Russian bias when they lose. I like to drop a 'Rommel was a war criminal' in the chat once in a while, nothing gets them angrier.