Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Rolo posted:

How do you like that MT though?

It's a great naked bike and a perfect fit for what I was looking for coming back to motorcycling after a decade. Torque everywhere and enough power for everything without being intimidating.

Sometimes I wish for wind protection but that's not the bike's fault, I used to have a GS500E so I knew what to expect there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

After doing the family Father’s Day thing with my wife and daughter at the lake, I went storm chasing.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Is that your pack on the back there, or are you re-enacting a Twister here?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It’s the rain cover for my tailbag, fully inflated because the wind was getting kind of rowdy.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If I lived somewhere where I could do that on roads like that I’d be so happy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

If I lived somewhere where I could do that on roads like that I’d be so happy.

If you want rain and poo poo roads London is right here.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Just about finished. Needs a little cable management and skid plate putting back on but otherwise I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

Can't get inspected until next week because of Rona back up so I'll just be staring at it until then.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's rad as hell. Looks like a total riot. Great work.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Thanks. I mean I was the reason it needed restoring in the first place..

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

After doing the family Father’s Day thing with my wife and daughter at the lake, I went storm chasing.

You ever worry about the security of the RAM phone holder? It seems like a good solution but I’m freaked out about my phone flying out. I know they’re really common.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The little butterfly looking thing behind the mount itself is a rubber strap that holds the phone in place, aside from just relying on the X-grips. It’s essentially rubber banded into the mount at the corners.

Not to say it won’t tear off in a crash or if it gets hit by a branch off-road but it shouldn’t go yeet itself onto the road during normal riding, even on rough terrain.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I had an earlier version of the X-Grip without the loop thing but even at 100mph it never felt like it was going to let go. Eventually I upgraded to a QuadLock for my last bike because of the vibration issues, and somehow even crashing into a guardrail at 60mph and flipping/spinning down the highway, not only did my phone stay secured to the handlebars, but the glass didn't even crack. Took me a while to get all the oil and gravel out of the mute switch, but I'm amazed at how well it fared.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

I was going to get a quad lock, but I keep hearing people say the vibration destroys the focus on their camera. I've heard the same complaint about the RAM mounts too.
I just leave my phone in my pocket now and hear navigation prompts through my Cardo headset, but it's frustrating not seeing the map when I need to.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

depends on what gen phone you have, but anything newer with optical image stabilization will definitely get its camera destroyed unfortunately

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I will start commuting ~60km each way soon and are looking at audio/comms solutions.
What do you guys use for noise reduction+audio?.
I mostly just want music/GPS, so not sure I really need a Cardo-like system.

Ideal solutions looks to be custom molded earpieces, but they all look very pricey.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I will start commuting ~60km each way soon and are looking at audio/comms solutions.

Ideal solutions looks to be custom molded earpieces, but they all look very pricey.

I dunno about comms but I listen to music through the most basic set from https://www.plugfones.com/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

right arm posted:

depends on what gen phone you have, but anything newer with optical image stabilization will definitely get its camera destroyed unfortunately

I have a spare SIM-less iPhone8 and don’t care if the camera flies apart at the seams as I’m content to just let it live out its life as a bike GPS unit. Have It tethered to my good iPhone in my pocket for data and GPS and everything seems to work great. Waze and Cardo for GPS and comms, and it syncs podcasts and music to my apple account.

I wish there was some cool way to add CarPlay to bikes though, instead of having to slap an iOS device to your bars. I’d pay a few bucks for that.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I wish there was some cool way to add CarPlay to bikes though, instead of having to slap an iOS device to your bars. I’d pay a few bucks for that.

Decidedly not cool, but Goldwings and Harley tourers have it

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I bought Bose quietcomforts last year, they have the active noise cancelling. Really really excellent at cutting out the wind and engine noise. There's a button to switch into aware mode which means you can hear voices easier (but the cancellation doesn't affect them much anyway)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Shelvocke posted:

I bought Bose quietcomforts last year, they have the active noise cancelling. Really really excellent at cutting out the wind and engine noise. There's a button to switch into aware mode which means you can hear voices easier (but the cancellation doesn't affect them much anyway)

How do you wear those under your helmet?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
They have the smallest profile of the ones I tried, and I almost always wear a thin merino scarf on the bike which keeps them snug while putting a helmet on.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Martytoof posted:

agreedo. my SAR has turn by turn on it, but its from an app that isn't google maps so it isn't as good as it could be

the 2020 africa twins have carplay though and that makes me extremely jealous

e: someone did manage to get google maps on the TFT for the SAR, but it's android only :(

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I just mount my phone dead center on handlebar and it's usually the best map/media player

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I have a spare SIM-less iPhone8 and don’t care if the camera flies apart at the seams as I’m content to just let it live out its life as a bike GPS unit.

Yeah that’s the route I assumed I was going to have to go. Thanks!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ought ten posted:

You ever worry about the security of the RAM phone holder? It seems like a good solution but I’m freaked out about my phone flying out. I know they’re really common.

I worry about it just enough to not put my primary phone in it. My wife drowned her iPhone 6 just enough to kill the phone capability but nothing else, so I have that as my GPS and when I get around to it, music device. I put it in there when I want a little help with navigation, and it's never budged. RAM mounts are kind of obnoxious in their size but make up for it with the ability to fold out of the way or remove pretty quick.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
if you use the rubber straps to hold the phone in the x grip it won't go anywhere. i did sandblast rally with my brand new iphone in it acting as a rally computer. crashed at 55 mph and it didnt move

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Thanks everyone for confirming that I’m just being a scaredy cat. All the same, sounds like the thing I need might be a backup phone not a mount.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ought ten posted:

Thanks everyone for confirming that I’m just being a scaredy cat. All the same, sounds like the thing I need might be a backup phone not a mount.

Still gotta mount the backup phone :haw:

Part of me wants to try getting Android running on a small SBC and run one of those CarPlay dongles into it to see if I can just have an LCD mounted to my handlebars and the rest of the computer under the seat or something.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 25, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I wanted to ask, do you find remote dirt roads like that through direct exploration, or word of mouth, or google earth, or what?

Now that I have a dual sport I find that I'm actually hesitant to drive down all the unmarked dirt and gravel roads/lanes I see everywhere here because I assume they're all driveways.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

I wanted to ask, do you find remote dirt roads like that through direct exploration, or word of mouth, or google earth, or what?

Now that I have a dual sport I find that I'm actually hesitant to drive down all the unmarked dirt and gravel roads/lanes I see everywhere here because I assume they're all driveways.

It may or may not be strictly legal, but I ride through county parks and trails and through power line clearouts that are just outside of town. I just follow the same rules I would if I were camping: don't be a jerk by knocking down brush or trees, pick up any garbage you see, leave it better than when you arrived. I rarely see anyone else but if I do I stop and have a short pleasant conversation with them and if they seem to be annoyed by my presence I leave. I've been doing this for 10 years and it's never been a problem.

Stay off private land, it's just not worth it. You might want to check a property map or check with the DNR for moto-legal trails. There are also sites like RiderPlanet:

https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/FrmFindTrails.aspx

There may be better ones now but I've used this in the past to find both private and public riding spots.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jack B Nimble posted:

FWIW, my rule of thumb is that if it's not posted, gated or obviously someone's residence then it's fair game. Powerlines often have access roads that are a decent start for finding unmarked dirt to play around on. Where are you at? There may be lots of dirt roads near you that you're just not aware of (for example, there's the TAT that goes across the country on mostly dirt roads - maybe you're near that).

On the subject of phone mounts, I have never used it but a friend just got this and it is the best. https://shop-hondogarage.com/collections/phone-mounting-systems-motorcycle

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's all good advice, thanks. I'm not completely out of luck because this state OHV trail is a half hour from my house and seems perfect for my dr650 beause it's "not technical" and "good for beginners".

Edit: I'm in south Mississippi, very close to the Desoto national forest, which I know has both two OHV trails and a lot of fire and service roads.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't know where you live, but this is what works for me in New England:
1) ADVRider. They suck for general discussion, but the regional subforums tend to have lots of saved routes that people share. Even if you don't ride with a GPS, you can plan ahead.
2) Facebook groups. I've found a couple local ones that are friendly to people asking "Where are some good dirt roads?"
3) Riding around, and then if a road looks suspect, I check either Google Maps or OSMAnd. If there's a road marked and I don't see any "No Trespassing" signs, I feel that's enough plausible deniability to send it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Deeters posted:

3) Riding around, and then if a road looks suspect, I check either Google Maps or OSMAnd. If there's a road marked and I don't see any "No Trespassing" signs, I feel that's enough plausible deniability to send it.

That's what I've been doing. I've found more dirt roads by accident in the last two weeks with my scrambler near me than I ever knew existed. Having a light(er) bike presents a lot more "hey I wonder what will happen" opportunities than I've ever had before.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

builds character posted:

On the subject of phone mounts, I have never used it but a friend just got this and it is the best. https://shop-hondogarage.com/collections/phone-mounting-systems-motorcycle

That phone mount is and has been cool since it came out, but it's stupidly expensive for what it is. $85 and that doesn't include the means to connect it to the bike? FOH.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jazzzzz posted:

That phone mount is and has been cool since it came out, but it's stupidly expensive for what it is. $85 and that doesn't include the means to connect it to the bike? FOH.

Yeah, it’s ridiculous. That’s why I don’t have one. Not worth it for me, but it’s the best I’ve ever seen.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jack B Nimble posted:

I just look for county roads, which turn to dirt pretty quick once you get out of town. That’s my experience everywhere I’ve lived, so it’s my main method now. I’ll also look on google earth and find a road or area that looks interesting and go there. National Forests are always reliable. Power lines are usually rideable in the south.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

*farting noises*

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

oh wow man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I really love that. I might even love that now with the bozu fairings back on.