Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

So I got the alternate recipe for Encased Industrial Beams, but now that I've looked at it in detail it looks straight-up worse:

- Normal EIB, cost per 6 units = 96 steel ingots (24 steel beams) + 30 concrete -> cost per unit = 16 steel ore + 16 coal + 5 limestone
- Encased Industrial Pipe, cost per 4 units = 84 steel ingots (28 steel pipes) + 20 concrete -> cost per unit = 21 steel ore + 21 coal + 4 limestone

Like a 20% saving in limestone (which is abundant) doesn't seem to justify a ~23% increase in coal consumption (which is not abundant).

Can't believe I've gone from struggling to build a single power plant to trying to optimise a hypothetical production line. This game gets in your head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Gato posted:

So I got the alternate recipe for Encased Industrial Beams, but now that I've looked at it in detail it looks straight-up worse:

- Normal EIB, cost per 6 units = 96 steel ingots (24 steel beams) + 30 concrete -> cost per unit = 16 steel ore + 16 coal + 5 limestone
- Encased Industrial Pipe, cost per 4 units = 84 steel ingots (28 steel pipes) + 20 concrete -> cost per unit = 21 steel ore + 21 coal + 4 limestone

Like a 20% saving in limestone (which is abundant) doesn't seem to justify a ~23% increase in coal consumption (which is not abundant).

Can't believe I've gone from struggling to build a single power plant to trying to optimise a hypothetical production line. This game gets in your head

your ratios aren't right, you get 2 pipes out of 3 steel ingots, which is 1.5 steel per pipe * 7 pipes per EIB and you get 10.5 steel per EIB. For normal it is steel beams at 4 steel per 1 beam * 4 per EIB is 16 steel per EIB... I think

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Sweeper posted:

your ratios aren't right, you get 2 pipes out of 3 steel ingots, which is 1.5 steel per pipe * 7 pipes per EIB and you get 10.5 steel per EIB. For normal it is steel beams at 4 steel per 1 beam * 4 per EIB is 16 steel per EIB... I think

yup, you're right, I missed that it made 2 per cycle so pipes are 1.5 steel per unit vs 4 steel for beams. Feeling dumb now.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Even if it was slightly less efficient I still wish I had that alternate unlocked since I'm absolutely swimming in steel pipes, but am somewhat low on steel beams.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's some recipes that do trade a smaller usage of one ingredient for a much larger usage of another. And some recipes that are just all around less efficient in materials but allow you to do the whole process with fewer buildings and thus less power consumption. And of course there's also recipes that are just strict upgrades in every way as well (looking at you cast screws)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Crazyeyes24 posted:

So here is a subjective question: Do you guys normally set up a separate line for basic building pieces (Iron Plates, rods, Wire, Cable, etc.) from your complex assembly lines (Smart plating, etc) or do you just pull from the supply of those lines?

I build extremely large buffers (like a dozen double size containers in series) for ore and ingots and then feed off of those. I tend to make separate systems for higher end products from ingot to finished. I also never load balance and just do overflow for everything as long as the belts support it. I’m not super great at the game but I rarely run out of stuff.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

I do kind of feel you on the "just put foundations everywhere."

I noticed that the various machines have little extendable footles that let them deal with a surprising amount of variation in terrain height within their footprint. I would absolutely love some sort of "building alignment framework" that behaves like a foundation in terms of lining up your buildings, but is actually invisible (or just a very visually unobtrusive framework of some kind) and just lets the footles extend a bit more so the buildings are sitting directly on the ground, but level as if they were all on the same foundation.

LonsomeSon posted:

The very concept of pissing Steel away on Rods as a matter of course hurts my brain. The screws recipe I can get behind as that’s 6.5x the manufacture rate; without the extra 20/s it saves 10 machinesworth of space, plus horsing around with all the feeds. Few of the places where I’m automating rods in large numbers are near an existing steel ingot consumer, not near a convenient iron ingot feed, and not already sited with the rest of production in an area intended to be extensible.

I have a shitload of steel, though. What do I need iron for? Iron plates, that's it. I have loads of surplus iron. So that all gets smelted into steel using the (2 iron ingots + 2 coal -> 3 steel) alt recipe.

Lack of coal might become a problem someday, but it hasn't yet. And once it does I have a train station quite close to two unexploited coal nodes I can hook up.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

ToxicFrog posted:

I noticed that the various machines have little extendable footles that let them deal with a surprising amount of variation in terrain height within their footprint. I would absolutely love some sort of "building alignment framework" that behaves like a foundation in terms of lining up your buildings, but is actually invisible (or just a very visually unobtrusive framework of some kind) and just lets the footles extend a bit more so the buildings are sitting directly on the ground, but level as if they were all on the same foundation.

I was thinking this exact thing earlier today. Let me indicate a building, like my hub, as the main grid, and if I build a building on the other side of the world aligned on that grid, it'll match up if I were to pave the whole distance with foundations. It would make stuff so much better for me personally.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

ToxicFrog posted:

There is one of these frameworks! I forget how it works, so if someone else doesn't chime in I'll install it and figure it out again.

But from what I recall the alignment indicators that show up when placing aligned on platforms also works without the platforms, and there's a way to lock it into the alignment.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Snow Cone Capone posted:

2 big wish list items I'd love to see would be some sort of Smart Storage, since AFAIK there's no way to choose what exits a storage unit first, and a way to bulk-move stuff to/from storage. I'm tired of rapidly clicking 15 stacks of something and store/take all just makes a huge mess.

In case no one else knows about this, but:
1) Smart splitters use AI limiters but you can output specific things out of the 3 exits. Not super graceful but does your request.
2) Shift+Lclick moves one stack, Ctrl+Lclick moves ALL of that type. Click and hold (I think Rclick) to select a split.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Splitters are only good for sorting.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

necrotic posted:

There is one of these frameworks! I forget how it works, so if someone else doesn't chime in I'll install it and figure it out again.

But from what I recall the alignment indicators that show up when placing aligned on platforms also works without the platforms, and there's a way to lock it into the alignment.

Holding down ctrl lets you align whatever you're building to other, nearby buildings; however:
- this only works based on nearby buildings; it does not snap them to any sort of global grid, so you have no guarantee it's aligned to anything else unless you've built a chain of assemblers across the world or something
- it only aligns them horizontally, not vertically, so if the ground is bumpy they'll all be sticking up different heights

So, it's not at all what I'm wishing for.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

Splitters are only good for sorting.

No, the overflow option is a game changer, especially when dealing with byproducts from petroleum production.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

What is the overflow setting?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Snow Cone Capone posted:

What is the overflow setting?

A feature on the smart splitter. You can control the 3 split outputs. One option is overflow if the other lines are backed up. Its very good.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The overflow setting is amazing. Either run that stuff to go back into storage or into The Sink.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hi remember to join the discord place, in case these forums can't last.
I think the previous invite link still works: https://discord.gg/gPgb5HD

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I guess I will use my first and now possibly last post in this thread to commemorate my time in this game by posting a map of my very organized base:

I think I "get" Let's Game It Out more than is healthy even if it's nowhere near that bad. The worst part is I actually know where everything is in that. Plus now that everything is belt mk5s it's nearly impossible to get around without being flung in the wrong direction so it's extra annoying. In short I love it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Turns out I can't share fancy maps because I'm using the Daisy Chain Power mod and the map viewer doesn't support that, so it just looks like a bunch of conveyor belts to nowhere :negative:

I'm pretty happy with how my base redesign is going, though. Incoming ingots are fed into a field of constructors on the east side of the base that build anything you can make directly from ingots in one stage (rods, plates, wire, quickwire, beams, pipes). The finished products are filled into a massive ring bus with each floor handling three different materials. The constructors are hooked up to the belts in parallel so I can easily ramp up production by just slapping down more constructors between the belts next to the existing ones.

Next to those I have the assemblers for encased beams and circuit boards, since they require raw materials (concrete and silica, respectively) that come in on the same trains as the ingots -- they draw steel beams and copper sheets from the ring bus, and output the finished products back onto the bus. Similar layout approach to the ingot constructors, so I can easily expand sideways, and there's room for walls around them so I can expand vertically as well if I need to.

To the north, along the shore of a lake, are refineries for turning copper ingots (the only thing I use copper for; plain wire is made from caterium now) into copper sheets using the steamed copper recipe, and outputting directly onto the bus. On the west side of the bus is a complete dog's breakfast, but eventually it will contain assemblers and constructors for things that read and write entirely from/to the bus -- r-plates, m-frames and h-frames, motors and motor parts, computers, AI limiters, etc.

And further to the west there's a bunch of refineries along a cliffside processing oil from the wells at the bottom and turning out plastic and rubber, which is routed along the ridge and into the bus.

I should try to get some aerial screenshots of it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I started taking damage when trying to climb over a small mountaintop between some very high up natural bridges/arches to the North of the grasslands start area.

There was no visible cause of the damage or alien sounds. Does the game inflict damage from altitude?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, there are outer bounds on all six edges of the map. The farther out you go, the faster you take damage.

I didn't realize any of the peaks were that close, though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It might be a spot with a bunch of gas? One of the closer quartz deposits in the grasslands area is in an area that I think is deemed to be a poison cloud, even if parts of it don't look it?

Like, I think I know the spot you're in because I would have to climb up a very tall cliff to get to it, or you can go through a big long spider cave.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

you need to go way higher than the tallest peak before you start to take damage, so I assume it's poorly coded gas.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

maybe rads? I know the first time I found uranium it took me a minute to figure out wtf was happening.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah the audio cues for radiation damage are pretty weak, and if you have them muted then the screen effect is the only thing that will show and even that is mediocre.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's also the little meter that shows up.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I saw that somebody did a test of how many walls they had to build to get to the vertical max before taking damage and it was like 1100 walls up. The map's a cube so you'd really have to go out of your way to hit the ceiling.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I saw that somebody did a test of how many walls they had to build to get to the vertical max before taking damage and it was like 1100 walls up. The map's a cube so you'd really have to go out of your way to hit the ceiling.

also the limp bizkit hypertube cannon video shows how far you have to yeet yourself into the air before taking damage.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Oxyclean posted:

It might be a spot with a bunch of gas? One of the closer quartz deposits in the grasslands area is in an area that I think is deemed to be a poison cloud, even if parts of it don't look it?

Like, I think I know the spot you're in because I would have to climb up a very tall cliff to get to it, or you can go through a big long spider cave.

Maybe. Could have been invisible gas. Weird area to put it if so.

I actually got knocked down into a valley with a big spider cave. Walking through the spider cave got me back to the right altitude but on the far side of the valley from the HUB. Was climbing across what looked like a bunch of natural bridges spanning the valley when I died. One of the natural bridges dead-ended in an unwalkably high mini-mountain. Laddering my way up the side was what killed me.

TK-42-1 posted:

maybe rads? I know the first time I found uranium it took me a minute to figure out wtf was happening.

It was not rods. I've seen rad damage several times and the big rad meter is a very obvious giveaway once you realize how quickly it causes damage.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I noticed this game makes my PC really cook. Checked performance and it is 99%-ing the 3D processing in my GPU. Anyone else experienced this and/or know how to fix? I run a 1080 gtx so it shouldn't be too taxing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I noticed this game makes my PC really cook. Checked performance and it is 99%-ing the 3D processing in my GPU. Anyone else experienced this and/or know how to fix? I run a 1080 gtx so it shouldn't be too taxing.

Don't have advice, but I personally noticed something similar when I found the side of my case to be really warm during a long session. Made me check my temps probably for the first time since building this PC and my CPU was running really hot (85C) - apparently my cooling just isn't all that great (but also not unexpected for my CPU & Cooler?)

But I'm wagering this game might just be intensive cause even though I'm sure there's optimizations for doing less with stuff you're not near, it probably still needs run updates and calculations a ton and it probably just scales like crazy as you build more.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I have a 2070 super and it really makes the fans in my computer go nuts while I'm playing.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I use GFN so my PC doesn't cook when playing :smug: I just lose some of the fidelity

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I haven't noticed that when playing, but I turn vsync on. Possible they haven't coded in a frame-limiter yet, so your computer tries to render it ALL FOREVER MORE FRAMES NOW NOW NOW and cooks.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

DelphiAegis posted:

I haven't noticed that when playing, but I turn vsync on. Possible they haven't coded in a frame-limiter yet, so your computer tries to render it ALL FOREVER MORE FRAMES NOW NOW NOW and cooks.

Ah ok, my monitor has Gsync so I hadn't enabled that. I'll try it out.

The internet says reducing view distance can help too.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just built the space elevator. This game is bringing up nostalgia from my early Factorio days: I'm constantly redesigning my spaghetti mess. I love that they refund all the resources, makes redesigns less painful. I was hoping I'd be able to climb on top of the space elevator to get a good view of where to build my new factory, but alas. I plopped it down in a huge piece of flat land and am relocating my main factory to this part. But man oh man do factories take up a tonne of space!

Currently trying to juggle around resources for construction vs resources of projects. Project resources (reinforced steel, motors, smart plating) absolutely chew through construction resources so I might just make a smaller separate base to keep my stocked up on construction materials.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 26, 2020

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Qubee posted:

But man oh man do factories take up a tonne of space!

Don't forget that this is a 3D game. You can always build another layer of factory on top for even more spaghettification.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm just annoying myself cause I can't make nice, parallel busses with my conveyor belts.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Tidiness is for the weak-willed. Embrace chaos.

On that note I, too, recently started this game and it has taught me, yet again, that I can never be trusted with a tool to build anywhere and a chainsaw. Building massive skyroads and ramps everywhere while mass clearing annoying forests.

Serious factorio energy and runs surprisingly smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I just wanna get the tool that lets me destroy annoying boulders. And I can't figure out whether it's better to produce materials on-site (where the mine is), or ship the smelted ingots from the mines all the way to a central location. I just don't wanna be running 10 mins to grab resources every time when I can have a shopping mall in the centre of my base.