Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Arist posted:

Finally about to start TLOU2 though I'm only gonna get to play like an hour tonight if at all. Why is aim assist set to 10? Should I turn that down? Also, is Hard the best difficulty to start on like the first game?

Aim assist at ten feels pretty in line with what you’d expect from a normal game. There’s an option for snap aim which I turned on for like 10 minutes but it feels very cheaty. I’d just leave it at the default if you want a normal shooter experience. 10 aim assist feels good imo.

So far I think hard has been the difficulty to go with. Even on hard the first half of the game isn’t too bad, but it does ramp up quite a bit eventually. Listen mode feels a lot more important to me in this one with the areas being so much bigger and more dense. So I’m glad I didn’t just start with survivor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rinkles posted:

an ounce of respect to lowtax

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the webmaster Lowtax. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

Is this real? I ask because renee avatar changed to the same one as jeffery, i mean probably a forum bug type stuff but also i havent been goatseed for 18 years and the fact that i just blinked and kept scrolling in the usercp says i've grown as a person. Least i didnt have to wait for the full jpg to download on 56k and react in slow motion like last time.

Anywho...

The avatar thing at least is always how announcements work.

I certainly hope it's all on the level, but we'll probably have to see what overall admin consensus is from here on

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rinkles posted:

an ounce of respect to lowtax

Don't get ahead of yourself, nothing's signed yet.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

veni veni veni posted:

Aim assist at ten feels pretty in line with what you’d expect from a normal game. There’s an option for snap aim which I turned on for like 10 minutes but it feels very cheaty. I’d just leave it at the default if you want a normal shooter experience. 10 aim assist feels good imo.

So far I think hard has been the difficulty to go with. Even on hard the first half of the game isn’t too bad, but it does ramp up quite a bit eventually. Listen mode feels a lot more important to me in this one with the areas being so much bigger and more dense. So I’m glad I didn’t just start with survivor.

I think I turned it off entirely from the get go and I don't know why I do this to myself. Maybe I thought the combo of no aim assist and sorta-cheating persistent center dot would balance each other out, but the center dot means jack poo poo when you ADS, since your actual aim spot doesn't line up with it (like it should...?)

I had a very similar experience with Red Dead Redemption 2. Miserable gunplay until I gave up the ghost and became somewhat liberal with aim assists.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
oh good i can delete the 42069 discords I was asked to join

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Vikar Jerome posted:

No mods at last so im just gonna come on out and say it. Im gonna buy cyberpunk 2077 day 1 on the ps4 and play it on the ps4 slim.

Just reported my first post!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I might hold off on that until the dust settles

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I might hold off on that until the dust settles
Much like everything else in the world right now, I don't expect the dust to settle on this anytime soon. having more connections to things that could become like this community is better than fewer I think.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's really weird to me that discord, of all things, would be people's interim replacement in the immediate absence of the forums...considering that it's the exact opposite of a forum in every single way.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's really weird to me that discord, of all things, would be people's interim replacement in the immediate absence of the forums...considering that it's the exact opposite of a forum in every single way.

It's an existing platform. Setting up a forum/ getting people to sign up takes much more work.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
While we're waiting to see if the forums are dead forever I would like to reiterate that replaying yakuza 0 is good

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
to be honest I had held out on joining because it never interested me, but it's not that bad. you can quote, you can spoiler. the channels organise content into different topics. the one thing kinda missing is I guess the ability to make new threads (making a bunch of new channels seems like it would be horrible organisationally)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't sign up for Discord because I have a boomer-brain fear of modern social tech

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

A lot of threads or subforums already had discord servers, so it's not that it makes sense as an alternative to the forum, it's that the space already exists independent from the forum itself. I don't think anyone seriously expects Discord to act as a substitute, just a life raft in case things shut down.

Re:Witcher chat, the game ended up being one of my GOAT but I didn't really start enjoying it until I got 2/3rds of the way through the Bloody Baron's story, which took probably 20-30 hours. The game has a lot of issues and it took a while to get a grip on what the hell was going on, why I should care, and what bits were really interesting. Velen is a big muddy field full of miserable people and corpses. If I ever play the game again I'll probably speed through there ASAP to get to the other areas that are more colorful and interesting. Or just play the DLCs again. Blood and Wine is practically its own game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It has nothing to do with serving the same purpose, it was something people could throw together quickly to stay connected in some way. I mean think about it, if the forum went offline altogether suddenly most people would have no way to contact each other or find out if something else was being organized. That's what the value of discord is in this situation. I joined several for that purpose but I haven't really read or posted in them because they don't really provide the kind of service I'm looking for generally, but if I needed information about the future they'd be the best place to look.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I didn't sign up for Discord because I have a boomer-brain fear of modern social tech

This but I'm an :lol: exennial :lol:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm actually enjoying it more as a replay (forced even though I never finished the game because of how the GOTY dlc is handled) because the geography and politics aren't completely alien to me anymore. Before a lot of the dialog was much harder to follow.

Though it was the Netflix series that really have me a hankering to give the game another try

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This but I'm an :lol: exennial :lol:

I'm a few decades short of being a boomer myself

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sad that the Avengers game looks like trash. I was hoping it'd be good at first reveal because the Ultimate Alliance games weren't quite the quality I was looking for. If you're gonna do a game of a bunch of people teaming up you've gotta make everyone actually feel different to play as.

If only Sakurai was involve with that one's development. He'd make sure that Thor's hammer hit with more impact than hitting a baseball with a wiffle bat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Old man yells at cloud meme but it’s “BP yells at discord”

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Discord is pretty aggressive about mining and selling all your data and posts, which is one thing that doesn’t happen here.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

welp

quote:

I, Jeffrey of YOSPOS, have reached an agreement with Lowtax to transfer all Something Awful LLC assets to me. No contract has been signed yet but these things take time and I want to make this announcement now. Obviously, if this falls through, you all will hear it straight from me.

Lowtax asked me to make clear that this is not an admission of any guilt. He maintains his innocence. However, he recognizes that the site cannot continue with him in charge, and the community and site are more important than his name.

This has been one of the most stressful and sad ~72 hours of my forums life and I'm sure everyone has a million questions and I'll plan on discussing this with the community tonight, after taking a few hours to catch my breath. Please don't burn down the whole site yet - we can get through this as a community.

This site has been extremely important to me since I joined 15 years ago. I love this place more than anything and, and top of everything else, the idea of it just going away was heartbreaking to me. My promise to all of you is that I love something awful as something awful, and my intention is to preserve all of the things that make this site incredible. This will be something awful, at its best, not any sort of weird vision of what something awful should be.

lol if you seriously believe Lowtax would actually genuinely give up ownership of SA and profits from the site. The announcement in GBS is about as suspect as you can get. Anything :airquote: signed :airquote: will make sure money is still going to Lowtax and this is just to placate people.

Videogames has the right idea:

VideoGames posted:

Somehow, if I have to hunt down every games poster in the world, I will make the goty thread on a website somewhere that everyone can post on. This my vow, my creed, my promise to my honour *sheaths katana*

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Midjack posted:

Discord is pretty aggressive about mining and selling all your data and posts, which is one thing that doesn’t happen here.

Do you have proof of this that isn’t a Facebook post from someone that you buy your essential oils from?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SUNKOS posted:

lol if you seriously believe Lowtax would actually genuinely give up ownership of SA and profits from the site. The announcement in GBS is about as suspect as you can get. Anything :airquote: signed :airquote: will make sure money is still going to Lowtax and this is just to placate people.

The key point that has people hopeful is specifically stating "All Something Awful LLC assets". That means Jeffrey's getting total ownership of everything, not just the day-to-day running of the website.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

jabro posted:

Do you have proof of this that isn’t a Facebook post from someone that you buy your essential oils from?

They straight up tell you they do it in the privacy policy. Yeah, you don’t get anything for free but Discord is one of the worst.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 26, 2020

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I bought a ps4 pro a few weeks ago and have been just flying through games. Finished Death Stranding, then TLOU which I loved, then started Uncharted 4. As an Xbox player of all the Tomb Raiders, I really have loved Uncharted 4. I never played any of the other ones but it’s so much more of a natural open climbing experience, and the graphics are just insane. It’s hard to believe it’s a game from 2016 sometimes. I am on chapter 17 or so now when you start working with your wife, and I saw there’s DLC involving chloe and Nadine. I don’t know the backstory of these two at all and was wondering if the DLC was well received? I like the game enough to play the DLC. If not though, I still need to play horizon zero dawn.

I started horizon zero dawn and got past the part you play as a toddler (which I kind of hated). It’s a cool game but the FOV is very small, the facial animations are kind of off-putting, and it just feels a bit generic at first? Does it get better and become as good as everyone says?

Definitely looking out for other previous ps4 exclusives to get through. Bloodborne or Nioh would be fun, don’t know which one would be the better choice in that genre as I’d only want to play one of them. I’ll get through Spider-Man at some point as well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Chloe/Nadine thing isn’t DLC, it’s a separate shorter game called Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. It’s definitely worth buying, though.

HZD owns, it has a great story and the combat is more varied and interesting than it seems initially. Faces aren’t great but they’re vastly improved in the DLC, which is extremely good as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Escobarbarian posted:

The Chloe/Nadine thing isn’t DLC, it’s a separate shorter game called Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. It’s definitely worth buying, though.

HZD owns, it has a great story and the combat is more varied and interesting than it seems initially. Faces aren’t great but they’re vastly improved in the DLC, which is extremely good as well.

Just on a side-note, but is it just me or does Uncharted: The Lost Legacy feel like a beta-test for The Last of Us: Part 2 in hindsight? Not to say it's bad or anything, just that a lot of its moving parts and character dynamics are similar but less-polished.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

jabro posted:

I think it's pretty readily accepted atp, especially after they changed their TOS to deny all users the right to class action suits in the event of data breach/sharing/sale. Their app engages in IP logging, keylogging and datasharing across other apps, logs of all apps open on your computer, communicates with other spyware platforms, and is known for the spead of malware, add into this a fairly aggressive stance against VPNs, and a tendency to force users to divulge personal info in order to use the service, and you have a really ugly situation brewing in the background.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just on a side-note, but is it just me or does Uncharted: The Lost Legacy feel like a beta-test for The Last of Us: Part 2 in hindsight? Not to say it's bad or anything, just that a lot of its moving parts and character dynamics are similar but less-polished.

The open world segments feel like they are workshopping for 2LOU, and I remember posting right after I played LL that the melee fights felt like beta-testing for 2LOU melee engine.

The incremental nature of ND's projects means this isn't too surprising, but it's nice to recognize the roots of dev strategies.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
They certainly took parts from LL that they liked and put them into TLoU2 - the first open area in the game is just like the way they did LL, especially the map.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Midjack posted:

They straight up tell you they do it in the privacy policy. Yeah, you don’t get anything for free but Discord is one of the worst.

Can you show me where they sell the data? I’m not seeing it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

jabro posted:

quote:

Agents, Consultants and Related Third Parties: Like many businesses, we sometimes hire other companies or individuals to perform certain business-related functions. Examples of such functions include mailing information, maintaining databases and processing payments.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The key point that has people hopeful is specifically stating "All Something Awful LLC assets". That means Jeffrey's getting total ownership of everything, not just the day-to-day running of the website.

Lowtax and the LLC are listed as copyright holders. If Jeffrey's post is real, then Lowtax ain't going anywhere, and he'll still be getting money. It's actually quite perfect since now Lowtax can finally sit back out the spotlight and just keep collecting cash while doing even less :allears:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

jabro posted:

That's not how that works, my goon. Selling of data will be through 3rd party sharing partnerships, related company platforms, or through sale of discord entirely to satisfy investor capital, once they've scooped up enough of your life.

quote:

The Company is not in the business of selling your information. We consider this information to be a vital part of our relationship with you. There are,:siren: HOWEVER:siren:, certain circumstances in which we may share your information with certain third parties, as set forth below:

Business Transfers: As we develop our business, we might sell or buy businesses or assets. In the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, bankruptcy, dissolution or similar event, your information may be part of the transferred assets.

Consent: We may transfer your information with your consent.

Related Companies: We may also share your information with our Related Companies for purposes consistent with this Privacy Policy.

Developers: Developers using our SDK or API will have access to their end users’ information, including message content, message metadata, and voice metadata. Developers must use such information only to provide the SDK/API functionality within their applications and/or services.

Agents, Consultants and Related Third Parties: Like many businesses, we sometimes hire other companies or individuals to perform certain business-related functions. Examples of such functions include mailing information, maintaining databases and processing payments.

Legal Requirements: We may disclose your information if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to (i) comply with a legal obligation, (ii) protect and defend the rights or property of the Company or Related Companies, (iii) protect the personal safety of users of the Services or the public, or (iv) protect against legal liability.

Aggregated or Non-identifiable Data: We may also share aggregated or non-personally identifiable information with our partners or others for business purposes.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 26, 2020

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Blind Rasputin posted:

Definitely looking out for other previous ps4 exclusives to get through. Bloodborne or Nioh would be fun, don’t know which one would be the better choice in that genre as I’d only want to play one of them. I’ll get through Spider-Man at some point as well.

If you can only play one it is without a doubt 100% :bloodborne:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

BB is legit like the best game of this gen

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

SUNKOS posted:

Lowtax and the LLC are listed as copyright holders. If Jeffrey's post is real, then Lowtax ain't going anywhere, and he'll still be getting money. It's actually quite perfect since now Lowtax can finally sit back out the spotlight and just keep collecting cash while doing even less :allears:

Does this website even make any money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Does this website even make any money?

It may, but LT might also have a lot of unresolved tax debt. Basically :iiam: