Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Swapped to Randy as storyteller and moved up a difficulty notch as I've grown more stable. Did more framing(majority floors) work on the dragon head. Had a space battle near it, not too much damage. Gotta finalize that stuff and get 1/5 the great work done. A raid of duplicitous androids managed to shoot out Varvara's right eye! Luckily my quest tiers have improved as well and got an offer of four healer serums to gun down 36 manhunting rattlesnakes. Still, the broodsisters captured and ritually dismantled the offending android. Maybe I'll celebrate finishing the black head with testing the cultist mod.

Upping the difficulty seems to have reminded the spiders to attack and kill anything they see, except this beautiful migrating aerofleet herd of course. Began expanding with broad walls, the north road is pretty secure and most traders use it.

oh no the merchants were attacked and dropped all their money and valuable goods, what a tragedy

They dropped some nice armor and now my chief melee fighter is almost literally a dragonborn paladin. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Katt posted:

Well crap. I don't want melee pawns but rifle butting is just no good.

What you're looking for is Archotech arms. They're rare, only available from quest rewards, but they're better in every way than bionic arms and their melee damage is only juuuuuuuust short of power claws. In general you should prioritize those above everything else when they show up in quest decisions for this reason.

Alternatively you can install simple sidearms and start issuing plasteel knives or uranium maces. It would solve the complaint you have but it does unbalance the game quite a bit since forcing you to choose between a ranged or melee pawn is an obviously deliberate design decision.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Had a random pawn join my colony.

Their backstory was Prostitute Idol.

:catstare:

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Ages ago someone in the Sims thread suggested I get this game and I was determined to read this whole dang thread and eventually catch up, getting a sense of where it came from and all.

In light of recent dumpster fire, I've hosed that noise and skipped ahead to say that that person who I forgot was right and this game is the honeymaker's leg hinges.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Alternatively you can install simple sidearms and start issuing plasteel knives or uranium maces. It would solve the complaint you have but it does unbalance the game quite a bit since forcing you to choose between a ranged or melee pawn is an obviously deliberate design decision.

I'd say the game works both ways, mid or late game melee threats are so significantly dangerous that just having a good gunner take a combat knife to them will go as badly as if they tried to club them with their charge rifle. I always have a small faction of melee guys in great armor with great melee weapons, brawlers default. The gunners can carry side arms but they're never relied upon.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Razakai posted:

Had a random pawn join my colony.

Their backstory was Prostitute Idol.

:catstare:

That one is so loving creepy and weird and she shows up in just about every game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is that Emmy?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Her name was Lilu or something? I took the effort to go into my save XML and reroll her cause that was just too weird.

Not that it mattered, as Randy decreed my colony was over, as a raid twice my size rolled in before I got any real traps or defenses set up.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Razakai posted:

Her name was Lilu or something? I took the effort to go into my save XML and reroll her cause that was just too weird.

Not that it mattered, as Randy decreed my colony was over, as a raid twice my size rolled in before I got any real traps or defenses set up.

Last name's Lu.

She just showed up as a visitor from the local outlander union.

Mr.Sloth
May 20, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Last name's Lu.

She just showed up as a visitor from the local outlander union.

Yeah there are a few profiles like that.

I think they were originally backer written profiles? Which probably explains the creep factor.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

This is a good use of colonist time.

"45 Hives." Very Loud Hmmm. :thunkgun:

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
When a quest specifies there's going to be multiple raids, they really mean in a very short space of time.
5 colonists + temporary soldier vs 3x 9 strong tribal raids, seemed ok. The first one was a 3-way sapper group that was surprising, but dealt with. Unfortunately, this was then followed by a group that waited, and a second raid of sappers that timed their attack at an identical time. So 18 raiders, including sappers, vs my 5 colonists still at an early game. This was almost dealt with without too many injuries, until the temporary colonist decided that it was time to wander off and leave while the fight was still progressing. Very helpful! I barely survived thanks to that, but one colonist is now missing an arm, which makes things tricky until I get bionics. And I then got a psychic wave: squirrel while my houses still have holes in them, so this could be the end.
Lesson learned: don't accept those quests.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Just took down my very first ancient tomb by opening one small area and having my melee people form a gauntlet outside it. I remember reading or seeing somewhere that these ancient cryosleep things have people inside them, are they crazy or can I get some recruits from them? Or should I leave them alone?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

They can be rescued/imprisoned and recruited, but there's a good chance some or all of them might be hostile and well-equipped so prepare for that if you open the caskets.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I usually pile in every colonist with a club before opening.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Mr.Sloth posted:

Yeah there are a few profiles like that.

I think they were originally backer written profiles? Which probably explains the creep factor.
Yes, all the premade characters* with unique profiles were the result of a backer paying for it explicitly

*(other than Tynan, Game Developer)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i haven't seen Emmy in years now so i think tynan finally got off his rear end and removed that poo poo

it wouldn't overly surprise me if there was some other new creepazoid pawn in there though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Dang dangit. I had a hard drive failure and lost all those mods I spent a week adding, removing, testing, removing, adding, testing... I don't want to go through it again. Does anyone have a link to a really solid premade mod pack? I basically just want the game plus tons of new (but balanced) stuff. I'm not looking to make my dudes super heroes or anything, I just wanted, you know, toilets and plumbing, psychology, all those neat animals, cool biomes... I can do it again, but it took a long time figuring out which mods didn't like other mods.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
If you have steam all that should be saved online I think?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Yah, if workshop it should all re-download

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Hell, when I opened up Rimworld on my new computer all my old saves were already there. And since trying to load one allows you to load the mod order you had with it, it isn't too hard to get back where you were.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I have to respect the moxy of a prisoner that breaks out of prison with only 1 leg.

He was still shot and stabbed multiple times before bring dragged back to prison and organ harvested. But I respect the effort.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I have two tranquilizer turrets in my prison that light up anyone trying to escape, last prison break I had wound up with the prisoners all hiding in the bathroom stalls to avoid darts :v: except the one unlucky sap who started near the door and got a litre of tranq juice within seconds of the breakout

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I need to do a better job of checking on my injured colonists after battles, because sometimes I'll notice someone moving awfully slow and realize they've been missing a leg for like a week.

Also - I want to start making killboxes, which I've never bothered with before, but I don't understand some of the basic principles. Don't you need an entrance/exit from the colony that your colonists and allies can use? So why don't the raiders just use that entrance instead of your killbox entrance?

Actually if there's a primer or video on basic Rimworld security beyond "recruit every colonist and hurl them at the threat" I would love to see it. My entrance to PC gaming was Stardew Valley, I am really not good at combat in general.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

You should check the health tab of anyone who gets injured at least once the battle is resolved, but the more often the better. You never know when somebody will be bleeding out with a 4 hr death timer. Cycling colonists and spreading injuries is better if you have to take damage, as pain stacking until shock is an everpresent danger.

A kill box that doubles as entrance/exit is usually a wide open kill box. The principle is to use walls to force a dead angle turn, like 90 degrees around a corner and into range and line of sight of your turrets and drafted colonists behind cover. When there is nothing to fight everybody enters and exits normally.

A closed kill box usually involves winding tunnels of death traps. Use multiple redundant doors made of thick material like stone and place an access tunnel beside the winding one for your colonists, and most raiders and almost all animals will prioritize the winding tunnel as an "open" path. Fiddle with door forbidding to control your colonist movement during the attack and when things are calm use "hold open" to avoid time wasted opening and closing the door more than once. You can also upgrade to hear y autodoors which open fast enough to use normally but will be sealed for hostiles. The same door ideas let you make back doors and other routes in and out, just make sure you use more than one door or sappers will go for it. If you need temp control, keep every door but one hanging open.

A variation on the trap tunnel is to make it wide open and spam the traps with openings and hope the AI makes enough mistakes. This lets friendlies use the tunnel and at least your colonists will recognize and avoid the traps. I don't think this is foolproof and it will be worse for big trader mobs, friendly animals, etc.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 26, 2020

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Killbox design changes a lot depending on if you're willing to use the embrasures mod or not.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Theres several embrasure mods but yeah.

I think next defense style im going to try is just a big ol trench works with barbed wire and machine gun nests.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

showbiz_liz posted:

Also - I want to start making killboxes, which I've never bothered with before, but I don't understand some of the basic principles. Don't you need an entrance/exit from the colony that your colonists and allies can use? So why don't the raiders just use that entrance instead of your killbox entrance?

Actually if there's a primer or video on basic Rimworld security beyond "recruit every colonist and hurl them at the threat" I would love to see it. My entrance to PC gaming was Stardew Valley, I am really not good at combat in general.

This is my latest mountain base layout:

For my first level of defense, I have a single wooden pillar holding up the maximum amount of roof space it can support (6 spaces all around) with explosive IEDs at the base and incendiary IEDs scattered about. Raiders who hit the incendiary traps are set on fire and have a chance of triggering the explosive IED, which in turn collapses the pillar and the roof on top of their heads for extra damage.

The next level is a zig-zagging tunnel filled with spike traps and sandbags to slow and injure enemies. Wood for spike traps is okay for early enemies, you might want to upgrade to steel for the extra penetration once facing tougher enemies and you can source steel easily. You'll also notice I have wooden doorways that allow my colonists to easily path outside of the base or rearm defenses. This alternate path is also great because it lets you safely sneak your melee fighters for flanks against slow, dangerous enemies who are weaker to zeushammer melee weapons like centipedes, for instance. I make these out of wood because they'll often be destroyed by routed enemies who'll try to take the most direct path away from you while retreating, including breaking down doors (if you're fine with having to replace components you can always make autodoors for faster opening and closing). The doors are also a weak point for sappers to get through but that's a bit by design which I'll get into later.

The trap tunnel then leads to my main courtyard's kill box area. I have the sandbags set up like that at the entrance so that enemies don't have any cover or angle to sit back and shoot from and are forced to move forwards. I have my back line of colonists with weapons able to reach the entrance, with the mini turrets causing distraction, incendiary IEDs triggering panic and and creating restrictive zones, and higher tier turrets in the back to punch through centipedes and the like. Note that I have my turrets and colonist frontlines protected by modded embrasures, but you could use barricades or sandbags with alternating walls if you're playing vanilla. I have my melee colonists sitting near the open gaps of the back line to deal with the rare enemies who can reach that far.

One thing that I've anecdotally noticed while playing with this setup is that the game kind of takes into account if you have a perfectly sealed or closed off base and seems to send more sappers to deal accordingly with that kind of defense. I noticed that if you leave somewhat of a direct path open for raiders to possibly reach your colonists, sappers are less likely to tunnel through the unguarded sides of your base. My sappers in this setup tend to just knock down the wooden doors of my trap tunnel and get handled by my killbox like normal.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

moot the hopple posted:

This is my latest mountain base layout:

Thanks, this makes a lot of sense!

I've never bothered before because usually I just make a nice functional colony and then abandon it once it's chugging along. But this most recent run, I've racked up over 50,000 silver from a combination of chinchilla farming and art farming, so suddenly the raids are much more intense than I was prepared for.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

showbiz_liz posted:

Thanks, this makes a lot of sense!

I've never bothered before because usually I just make a nice functional colony and then abandon it once it's chugging along. But this most recent run, I've racked up over 50,000 silver from a combination of chinchilla farming and art farming, so suddenly the raids are much more intense than I was prepared for.

Yeah it's always good to keep defenses up with your level of wealth.

Incidentally, bionics are an extremely good bang for your buck conversion of that money. It used to be that installing bionics would raise the value of your colonists, making raids even more brutal after installing a whole suite of bionic upgrades into all of your colonists. A recent update changed it so that is no longer the case, though I believe some of the more esoteric organ replacements will still raise colonist wealth. Bionic eyes, legs, and arms definitely do not increase wealth and I try to minimally install a set for each colonist. The increased sight, manipulation, and movement helps them become more productive while also improving their combat effectiveness.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yah, if workshop it should all re-download

It did :v:

The only problem now is that I have 185 workshop items subscribed, but after the install they're all disabled in the mod list. I'm sure I didn't have all of them enabled. I need to be better organized than this.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Doesn't your save game know what was enabled?

I know when I was playing with some mods and opened up my save it gave me the list and the option to continue or exit out and fix it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If you activate them all then load the mod list from a save, itll reorganize your mods and deactivate any mods you dont need. IIRC it WONT activate any mods you have deactive though that might have changed in the like, two years since I tried it

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I think my game is toast. When I activated the mods and loaded the save, it threw up tons of errors and said that due to incompatibility all mods have been disabled. It has been a year since I've played this, and I imagine the game has been updated since then. I mean, that's one part of why this is a train wreck.

Hey, since I guess I'm going to start over, how is this Royal expansion? Is it worth getting?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

credburn posted:

I think my game is toast. When I activated the mods and loaded the save, it threw up tons of errors and said that due to incompatibility all mods have been disabled. It has been a year since I've played this, and I imagine the game has been updated since then. I mean, that's one part of why this is a train wreck.

Hey, since I guess I'm going to start over, how is this Royal expansion? Is it worth getting?

oh that'll do it. A year ago the game was at 1.0 and now all the mods have been updated to 1.1.

Royalty is worth getting imo. The psychic stuff it adds and the quest system are really cool.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

And with hospitality, I can keep the Empire forever pissed at me force recruiting good pawns when I want to be able to yank some neuroformers out of their fancy pants nobles and stick em into my own colonists.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Royalty is good. But charging the price of a full indie title for what is basically a content patch is absurd.

I love Rimworld so I'll buy it but I'll resent the developer for it.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I think my colonists are hungry.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Katt posted:

I think my colonists are hungry.

hell of a nip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I see the right leg is a bionic leg, was the left leg also bionic? What caused the need for the right bionic leg :ohdear: