Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
There's really not a whole lot in this game that Nakai can't koolaid man through with a sufficiently stupid stack of Sacred Krox, Saurus Scar Vets on Carnosaurs, and some dinos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Babylon Astronaut posted:

That Nakai army sounds cool, but I'd probably swap the carnosaurs for some stegadons. It will keep you safe from cannons. You can have heroes on carnosaurs.

Why are Stegadons better? I assume they have higher armor, but Carnosaurs are so fast I feel like I can bumrush most stuff regardless.

Edit: Oh poo poo I just saw that Scar Veterans get Carnosaurs mounts at 18. Maybe I'll just grab two of them and replace my Carnosaurs with spikey lads so I can have best of both worlds.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Stegadons are substantially tankier than Carnosaurs and also have an anti-large ballista strapped to their back.

Hella value.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Wait, what the gently caress is a Saurian. Mid way between the two?

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Wait, what the gently caress is a Saurian. Mid way between the two?

Dread Saurian is Godzilla-gator-rex.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Sarcastastic posted:

Dread Saurian is Godzilla-gator-rex.

Okay so it seems like I want a bunch of those. Like 6-7 of those.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Stegadons (not feral, not ancient) have a long range ballista. It also can be upgraded to out range even most cannons. What this means is your army plays the same, except enemy artillery never gets a chance, and by the time the krox charge in, the enemy is battered and bruised. Even after the ballista, it's still a huge loving dino, so it's all value. I like it better than the lazer bastilladons, and I really only ever use the orbital strike stegadons for style points. (but oh god, are they stylish, you can just put a skink hero on one.)

-edit- Dread Saurians aren't the one unit army they say they are, but they are nice too. TTT has a cool doomstack; do all your dread saurians, and then make the rest an air force. Now, the annoying thing where you lose instantly for not having ground forces won't be a problem, and you can just do insane bombing runs while your battle fleet slow walks the enemy. Good times.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 26, 2020

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So should I grab like 2 Stegadon? Why wouldn't I just go for the ancient if I were going to do those, do they have any disadvantage over the regular besides cost?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Ancient get a machine gun short range blowpipe instead of a ballista

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ancient Stegs are better anti-infantry but their range is very short compared to normal stegs. Normal stegadons are great for sniping high value stuff and then doing dino things. All stegodons are better against small targets than carnosaurs by a lot though.

Engine of the gods is super great. I highly recommend getting one.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They're a completely different role. Ancient has much, much less range. Their ranged ability is more like ranged cav than an artillery piece. They can get an orbital strike ability, that is a wind that can obliterate enemy lines. Ancient is a mid to close unit. You can also put a skink hero on one, and it's even better.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

No matter what army I play, I always think “this hero would be so much cooler if he was riding a dinosaur” and then whoooops back to another lizard play through.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

Nash posted:

No matter what army I play, I always think “this hero would be so much cooler if he was riding a dinosaur” and then whoooops back to another lizard play through.

:same:

the hammer is dinosaurs

the anvil are dinosaurs

This appeals to the 10 year old in me

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also the Stegadon's ballista inflicts poison, in case you needed more reasons to have a dinosaur with a ballista strapped to it in your army.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 26, 2020

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

I love playing lizard men but only past like turn 50. Their early game units kinda bore me

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So on like turn 30 of the Nakai campaign one of the missions to kill a lieutenant just said “Aborted” now I’ve killed the other 3, and I now I have no more missions?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there a max limit on the number of heroes of a specific type you can have? The "darkling skies" skill for Vamp Lords gives a bonus vampire hero at t2 but if they cap out at any point I'd rather put those points elsewhere.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ravenfood posted:

Is there a max limit on the number of heroes of a specific type you can have? The "darkling skies" skill for Vamp Lords gives a bonus vampire hero at t2 but if they cap out at any point I'd rather put those points elsewhere.
To my knowledge there is no hard ceiling on heroes; the only limit is the cap you can increase via that skill and buildings, and being able to afford the hero.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

To my knowledge there is no hard ceiling on heroes; the only limit is the cap you can increase via that skill and buildings, and being able to afford the hero.

In that case i guess I know where my first few skills for every Lord are going!

(I'd been skipping blue lines for my VC because I've been running them in pairs so lightning strike was less valuable)

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 26, 2020

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

In that case i guess I know where my first few skills for every Lord are going!

Those skills still work even if you dismiss the Lord so if you get enough buffs to Lord level you can hire one, get the skill and then dismiss them. It gets you more heroes without paying for more armies.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
edit: never mind I suck at reading. Instead I would like to take a moment to emptyquote this:

Truecon420 posted:

Also love my warham Dawi for life more dawi content CA

Zephro fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 26, 2020

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
if you like dwarves play sfo. vanilla does em a little dirty. while theyre still a challenge but engineer-mortar squads are so loving satisfying

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In general, what should I consider when choosing whether I want to use cavalry, monstrous infantry, or single- model giant monsters as my army’s hammer?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Who you're playing as, and what seems fun. The best example of a faction that does all three is VC, and they're kind enough to have pretty distinct roles for Cav vs Monstrous Vs Single Models. Blood Knights smash flanks very well, if you get a rear charge with them then it doesn't matter that the opponent was winning against zombies, they'll quickly flee or get trampled. Crypt Horrors are just like trolls, they have good mass and will lay a savage beating on any large size enemy, augmented by the fact that they have innate poison which allows them to trade even more effectively than most. Varghulfs will anchor a line and smash most anything with their high AP values, just beware letting them fight without allies nearby as their low leadership is a bigger deal than it seems. Regen + terror means that a varghulf surviving to late in the fight is backbreaking for most armies in MP.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Crypt horrors in a strigoi boi's army are really good

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Dr Christmas posted:

In general, what should I consider when choosing whether I want to use cavalry, monstrous infantry, or single- model giant monsters as my army’s hammer?

your army needs to be able to do a few things.

it needs a way to deal with enemy ranged, be it artillery or archers, which means you want speed, which typically means a nonzero amount of cav or dogs or something flying , or magic to annihilate a ranged line.

it needs to be able to gently caress up enemy monsters and cav. if your faction has lots of spears as baseline, or AP ranged, those work great. some factions like tomb kings have anti-monster monsters to fill this role. most giants are decent at this if nothing else.

you also want strong single target damage to goon enemy casters or heroes. ranged is king for this. single entity monsters are often good at this, but often they are not. magic is good here in many cases.

then you need a way to of course deal with the enemy front line, troll/ogres/crypt horrors/minotaur style units really shine here, and magic is also incredible. magic can definitely be its own hammer more potent than any of cav, monsters, or mega monsters. every faction is going to have a different blend of what works well as a "hammer." dwarfs use quarrelers and grudge throwers as a hammer for a long time, while norsca uses trolls, and Bretonnia would use cav.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

How is Settra's chariot of the gods? Because I like him on his sphinx, but I did just hit T5 for more sphinxes. Going hierotitan first but I'm gonna need some more big monsters to crack the black pyramid and Imrik after I'm done playing whack a mole with the brets.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
chariots require more micro, but can do more damage. The warsphinx is fire and forget. So it's mostly up to play style

I was down on the steed mount until I realized that the lord keeps it's anti-large bonus. So it turns the tomb king into super prince that can solo a ton with some gear

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Ammanas posted:

if you like dwarves play sfo. vanilla does em a little dirty. while theyre still a challenge but engineer-mortar squads are so loving satisfying

How is SFO's Ungrim? That's the next Dwarf campaign I'm interested, but I can't decide if I want to do it vanilla, or make the Slayer King my first foray into SFO.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Which Empire wizards are useful? So far, the fire\bright seems to be the killiest. I often forget about my jade wizard. Death/Amethyst seemed pretty ineffective.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Kestral posted:

How is SFO's Ungrim? That's the next Dwarf campaign I'm interested, but I can't decide if I want to do it vanilla, or make the Slayer King my first foray into SFO.

His son gets added as a special Legendary Hero, and they can both stack their bonuses for Slayer units to an absurdly frightening degree.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Is there a generally accepted good-to-bad list for the various faction DLCs? The Steam summer sale is on...

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

chariots require more micro, but can do more damage. The warsphinx is fire and forget. So it's mostly up to play style

I was down on the steed mount until I realized that the lord keeps it's anti-large bonus. So it turns the tomb king into super prince that can solo a ton with some gear

Cool, I'll try the chariot of the gods once I'm done fighting lots of cav and have more sphinxes around. I'm terrible at micro, but we're playing coop so one player usually gets the chariots, horsemen and birds while the other plays the rest.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zephro posted:

Is there a generally accepted good-to-bad list for the various faction DLCs? The Steam summer sale is on...

The ones considered "bad"* in ascending order are Welfs, Beastmen, and Chaos. And there's still fun to be had in them.

*Which mostly just means they haven't been updated for game 2 mechanics

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
goon consensus goes something like

best: Vampire Coast
great: Tomb Kings
the rest: fine I guess, if you like them in the tabletop or something. chaos and beastmen are probably the worst currently

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zephro posted:

Washin Tong posted:

If I had to rank ALL the paid DLCs, IMO it goes like this:

SSS tier:
Warhammer I

S tier:
Rise of the Tomb Kings
Curse of the Vampire Coast
The Prophet and the Warlock (for all the rat war crimes)

A+:
Norsca (they're fun!)

A:
The Hunter and the Beast (boxing crocs, skippy happy murder Nakai charge and german conquistadors)

B (these are really good if you want to play the races they improve):
Realm of the Wood Elves
The Queen and the Crone
The King and the Warlord
The Grim and the Grave

C (they really need an overhaul):
Call of the Beastmen (would be D if not for Minotaurs and Gorebull charges)

F (as in gently caress This):
Chaos Warriors (just wait for game 3)

???:
The Shadow and the Blade (haven't played it, Snikch seems cool though, Badguy Evilsword is eh)
Blood for the Blood God (totally up to you, it's cheap anyway)

So yeah, if you'll only get one get Tomb Kings (or Vampire Coast).

E: vvvv this guy's right, fixed my list.

I'm put the grom DLC up there with Norsca, but I'm a goblin homer

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Zephro posted:

Generally its 'if you like the race, buy its dlc'. My personal favorite extra DLC are the tomb kings and the vampire pirates (tomb kings just a tad more, but I really like them both). My least favorites would probably be chaos warriors, beastmen, wood elves, and norsca (although I am glad I got all of them and still had fun playing their campaigns).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

LLSix posted:

Which Empire wizards are useful? So far, the fire\bright seems to be the killiest. I often forget about my jade wizard. Death/Amethyst seemed pretty ineffective.

You can't go wrong with Bright but I also really like Shadow. Penumbral pendulum and pit of shades both do solid work and Mindrazor is a handy buff.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I would also like to add Heavens to the list of good lores. I don't know if it beats out fire, but it's array of damaging spells are hella fun in campaign, and it has Harmonic Convergence and Curse of the Midnight Winds for your buff/debuff needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Settra demands sick burnouts on living nerds.

So it is written, so let it be done.