Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

If they sold newspapers on beaches they would be 100% in support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I don't care one wya or the other about chocolate oranges or monster munch. I'll eat them but I don't seek them out

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shameful centrism.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Mebh posted:

Aero orange chocolate is way more 'orangey'
But way less chocolatey...

Isomermaid posted:

Should be a dark chocolate orange though, which are canonically the best
No, not that chocolatey!

Edit:

OwlFancier posted:

Shameful centrism.
Sometimes the middle is where it's at.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i'm excited to gradually find out the new ways that the new site owner is weird and bad, as is forums tradition for every position of power. probably not a wife beater though so that'll be nice

I remember white chocolate chocolate oranges being sold at one point and I can't remember if they were actually good or if I just miss having the opportunity to try them. if they show up again i will gladly volunteer as the test case as to whether they are any good or not

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Angepain posted:

i'm excited to gradually find out the new ways that the new site owner is weird and bad, as is forums tradition for every position of power. probably not a wife beater though so that'll be nice

Gonna pretend that this is them for now, just to be ready.

https://twitter.com/kittynouveau/status/1276249791966720003?s=20

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

ronya posted:

I plead annoyance at upholding Kerala as a model divorced of context

for the post-special-period Cuba types there's a certain degree of obligatory bullet-biting that, yes, okay, the country is really poor but these HDI statistics and happiness surveys are actually more important!!

for Kerala the massive role of remittances in its economy is just silently ignored, it's massive enough that eliding it borders on dishonesty

whats your take on the costa rican model? centre left, full democracy (mandatory but not enforced voting), poor but not cuba poor and near the top of some happiness surveys. it does have the usual adverse effects of tourism with foreigners pricing out locals but appears to be trying to develop sustainably

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

The New Stateman's Stephen Bush has an interesting take on it. I don't agree with it, but it's easily the most cogent centrist take I've seen so far.

quote:

Keir Starmer has Rebecca Long-Bailey, his former leadership rival, from her post as shadow education secretary after she described the actor Maxine Peake as a “diamond” and shared an Independent interview with the Shameless star in which she said that “the tactics used by the police in America, kneeling on George Floyd’s neck, that was learnt from seminars with Israeli secret services”.

What’s wrong with that? It’s true to say that the world’s police forces share training and exchange techniques, and that holds true for the police in most nations.

But it is not true to say that neck kneeling was taught by, or originates from, Israeli secret services - as Amnesty International, cited as the original source for the claim, tell Ailbhe, they have not said so. 

It goes to the essence of many of Labour's long-running problems on this issue - why should Israel’s security services be treated as more responsible for the killing than those of the United Kingdom or France, or any of the countless forces that use aggressive restraint techniques? Why is Peake, a British actor, singling out the world’s only Jewish majority state as the point of origin for the killing of an African-American? Why not the United Kingdom - or why not simply the United States, where the killing took place? It's an example of an all-too-common pattern on the British left: of placing Israel at the heart of a global web of ills. 

As I've written before, the true face of Labour's antisemitism problem is not people who have hatred in their hearts, but people who are either simply unable to see the problem when it is in front of them, or are unwilling to confront or condemn expressions of it when they see them.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jose posted:

Orange chocolate is shite

you can't possibly know that

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jose posted:

Orange chocolate is shite
This is antisemitism and you need to resign.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

That is a profoundly stupid loving take, but it's the New Statesman so that's what you get when mayonnaise reaches consciousness.

quote:

As I've written before, the true face of Labour's antisemitism problem is not people who have hatred in their hearts, but people who are either simply unable to see the problem when it is in front of them, or are unwilling to confront or condemn expressions of it when they see them.

This is just a way to leave the door wide open to further thought-crime levels of persecution; the next leftie person to be booted out / suspended / whatever can now just be said that "they don't even see the problem" and be done with it. It requires no critical analysis or discussion, just a presumption that whoever criticizes Israel and its repressive policies, makes a vague head nod towards it, or retweets something wherein a vague nod happens, is an unwilling, perhaps even an unknowing, antisemite.

It's garbage reasoning.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 26, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
People are angry with America because their police keep murdering Black men, and the recent protests have seen large numbers of Black men literally be lynched and ruled suicides.

People are angry at Israel, because in addition to all the other stuff that Israel does, they decided it was a good idea to shoot dead an autistic Palestinian man right in the middle of a period of time when people are hyperaware of police brutality to marginalized groups, and then attempt to paint him a terrorist.

People will say inaccurate things about policing during this time, but any attempt to turn it into an antisemitism thing comes out about as tone deaf as the white lives matter protesters.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/keir-starmer-rebecca-long-bailey_uk_5ef50f91c5b6acab283efcb2

quote:

The online reaction that most impressed many Labour MPs today was not of Left Twitter, but of Tory MP Robert Halfon. He tweeted Starmer was “showing that he is a force to be reckoned with and that no Conservatives can afford to be complacent about his leadership or our strong parliamentary majority”. Halfon then tweeted that his Labour opponent at the last election had backed Momentum’s criticism of Starmer.

Glad we're already at the point where the most important thing for the Labour party to do is impress Tory MPs. This is what winning feels like.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Was half expecting the bbc breakfast team to ask people why A-10 warthogs were not deployed to strafe Bournemouth beach

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think we have any of those :v:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Surely it should be Spitfires so half of them could cheer loudly as the explosive ordinance rips apart their mistress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You joke but the beach I was at last year got buzzed by spitfires and everyone went woo whereas I was more thinking "I can see why the guys at dunkirk were put off"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

peanut- posted:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/keir-starmer-rebecca-long-bailey_uk_5ef50f91c5b6acab283efcb2

Glad we're already at the point where the most important thing for the Labour party to do is impress Tory MPs. This is what winning feels like.

It's so loving stupid that they don't seem to understand that the enemy SAYING they are impressed with you doesn't mean they are scared of you it means they are pleased to have you opposing them. Which means that you'#re NOT loving OPPOSING THEM.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"You’re reading The Waugh Zone" *stops reading*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Decency, of course, is not when the government stops being barbaric, but when everyone is very gentlemanly about the barbarism.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
totally loving useless

https://twitter.com/EleniCourea/status/1276449687260856321?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Decency, of course, is not when the government stops being barbaric, but when everyone is very gentlemanly about the barbarism.
Fox hunting is very gentlemanly because you dress up fancy and blow trumpets while doing your barbarism.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

peanut- posted:

quote:

One party staffer couldn’t hide their pleasure, sending the message: “Alexa: play ‘Things Can Only Get Better’.”
lol glad I'm no longer funding this cunts salary

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Niric posted:

The New Stateman's Stephen Bush has an interesting take on it. I don't agree with it, but it's easily the most cogent centrist take I've seen so far.

I would maybe buy the accusations of singling out Israel if the context in the article wasn't "and this is a global problem, for example Israel does....". You hve to be profoundly disingenuous to turn that into singling out Israel. There's talking heads drawing comparisons with blood libel for fucks sake!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

"You’re reading The Waugh Zone" *stops reading*

not to be confused with the Waaah Zone, a detailed analysis on the politics of the day by video game mascot Waluigi

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

XMNN posted:

lol glad I'm no longer funding this cunts salary

:same:

Speaking of which, does Labour regularly release their donation totals? It'd be interesting to see how it's affected when the left fully fucks off. I'd love to be able to watch Keir's Patreon plummet in real time.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Angepain posted:

not to be confused with the Waaah Zone, a detailed analysis on the politics of the day by video game mascot Waluigi

I would definitely read the Waaagh! Zone, a detailed analysis of the politics of today by Tuska da Daemon-Killa, ork warboss.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

You hve to be profoundly disingenuous to turn that into singling out Israel.
Good thing our journalist class is poo poo hot about integrity and intent!

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

peanut- posted:

I would definitely read the Waaagh! Zone, a detailed analysis of the politics of today by Tuska da Daemon-Killa, ork warboss.

Which was the one named after Thatcher?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka

Old 40k was very subtle

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mag Uruk Thraka I think.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

They could put the F-35s to use, if they don't overheat in this weather and also have the cannon pod DLC.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

peanut- posted:

Old 40k was very subtle

According to the folks responsible, that one actually was a coincidence. It's mangled Tolkeinian Orcish.

Ghazghkull was always far too cool to be a Maggie reference by 2000AD alumni, anyway.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
shocking that the tory run EHRC would do this

https://twitter.com/insportfoto/status/1276448644376526848?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Love to be regulatory captured by genocide fans.

Angepain posted:

Waluigi is canonically better than 99% of UK journos, so I'd read that.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The chances of many of the SCG defecting is extremely low. Momentum groups and the general membership is where you'll see the organisation.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Niric posted:

It's a stupid take.

loving idiots. They've learned nothing from their time in leadership, nothing from the decades on the outs. Paying money to and supporting the Labour Party, even with a left-wing candidate, is just encouraging this poo poo. gently caress 'em, they think the party matters more than the working class. At least with the oldies like Corbyn & Abbott there's a reason for the sentimentality towards the party stopping them doing the right thing but inexcusable for people like Zarah Sultana.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Hopping on the chocolate orange is shite bandwagon.

Also, wasn't SCG Vyvyans hamster?

(I know it was SPG, don't @ me.)

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

mudskipp posted:

I'm amazed at the open bastardry they're displaying with flagrant corruption and disdain for the public at present. Never showing any contrition regardless of the evidence and then getting away fine, but it might only work when you're total poo poo to start with.

Getting a large majority after the utter poo poo show of the last few years and only weeks after their unlawful attempt to shut down parliament has proved to the tories that they can do whatever the gently caress they like and the British public will lap it up and beg for more, so long as the they keep the racism dial at it's sweet spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

peanut- posted:

Old 40k was very subtle

Old 40K was so subtle, it had this character in it.

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2010/04/the-most-awesome-40k-character-of-all-time.html