Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

20 Blunts posted:

what the hell is this open-handed technique here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIgMN7Kd7u8&t=128s

ive read he was a self taught drummer i just can't understand what im looking at, with him opening it up every beat or so. is his snare just really high tuned and sounding like the hihat? i almost think its footage from another song

That is weird lookin! My thoughts:

- the audio is definitely off sync a little bit; you can tell from a bit later on in the video that shows the singer singing
- doesn’t look like he’s playing the hi hat at all. It’s all snare
- Looks/sounds like eighth notes on the snare with beats 2 & 4 played as big fat flams which separates the backbeat from the other eighth notes.

|: r l LR l r l LR l :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think that's just a string of ghosts on the snare with accents/flams where the 'real' snare notes go. Check out Lonely Boy for another example of this (1:40 is a good shot of the drumsticks) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga8eRdFK710&t=20s

e: It's also a pain in the rear end, for me at least, so seeing someone do it with trad grip is pretty neat.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Thanks guys. I've had a new drummer the past year and I've been trying my best to help him learn some country-ish playing. Its deceptively simple. I only mingle.

Michael Clarke is the drummer there. Apparently had never even owned a drumset before getting in with the Byrds, was picked up and made a musician for his "resemblance to Brian Jones." So he had only been playing drums for about three years in that video. The 60's, maaan. Died at 47 due to alcohol.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

timp posted:

That is weird lookin! My thoughts:

- the audio is definitely off sync a little bit; you can tell from a bit later on in the video that shows the singer singing
- doesn’t look like he’s playing the hi hat at all. It’s all snare
- Looks/sounds like eighth notes on the snare with beats 2 & 4 played as big fat flams which separates the backbeat from the other eighth notes.

|: r l LR l r l LR l :|

Yeah that video is way off. It does sound like he's just doing eighth notes on the snare and accenting on the 2 and 4, bass drum on 1 and 3.

You hear lots of it in older, traditional country, especially with Johnny Cash. I call it the Train Groove

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

FBS posted:

I'd love to see a photo

Sorry, kept forgetting to take some pics for you!

https://imgur.com/gallery/W4fiWMG

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Ran across something recently that piqued the F out of my drummer interests and it's been a long time since anything has done that so I've decided I'm going to learn this song just for the hell of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kjr_jEQjKQ

So far I'm at 75% speed after a week and a half (and a hockey knee injury in the middle of it lol) on the verse and chorus, but definitely gonna have to spend more time on bridge chunk at 2:10 - 2:31. I "get it" but yeah that muscle memory between left hand and the kicking pattern is no where even close yet. This Baard dude does fun stuff on a composition level with what he's given.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Sorry, kept forgetting to take some pics for you!

https://imgur.com/gallery/W4fiWMG

Sweet!

Duke Chin posted:

definitely gonna have to spend more time on bridge chunk at 2:10 - 2:31.

Why/how is the hihat rod bouncing so much during that section?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

FBS posted:

Why/how is the hihat rod bouncing so much during that section?

Not a lot of keep-open-tension and he's beating the poo poo out of it on those right hand down beats

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I was checking out some other videos from Baard's channel and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGiC66wP30o which is extremely :kimchi: and also he was way better than me at 16 years old

e: he's also way better than me now, to be clear

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
The boom arm I was using for crash 1 has started moving around at the point where the arm shaft meets the end bit with the elbow joint where the cymbal sits. lovely cellphone video:

https://i.imgur.com/xIsjMWi.mp4

I've taken apart everything I can see to unscrew, but this part just looks like it's stuck up in the molding of the elbow joint casing, I don't see any way to remove it. Is there anything else I can to to get this thing apart or otherwise fix it to stop twisting like that?

e:
It's Mapex brand, I don't see any other info on the stands themselves.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
What the hell brand is that I can't tell.

Anyway yeah a lot of companies just put a creepy lil roll pin in there to stop the twisting. And yep, they break. Time for the ol JB weld.

So anyways... How's everyone else's plague-drumming coming along?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I’m a professional musician professionally unemployed and have pretty much stopped practicing despite the wealth of free time because why bother lol

I did finally set up my audio interface and mics though, and a few webcams a friend gave me, and now I can record or stream drums, sample pad, keys, and another instrument, *and* there’s not a mess of cables everywhere

I’m gonna figure out OBS this week so I can do fancy camera stuff for the handful of students who didn’t drop until we go back to irl lessons. Anyone have any recs on drummers who’ve done that? My only reference point is pianists who have a second cam above the keys to show their hands

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I don't have a pictureof the setup because I'm lazy but my setup for Zoom is to have two instances of myself in the meeting. One is a "I'm talking to you" face cam kind of thing, with its input tied to a mic I speak into, and the other is an overhead camera mounted on a mic stand that shows the kit as a whole. That way, when I'm speaking, i'll show up on the student's screen, but if I'm playing, it's showing my hands, so pretty similar to what you've described for piano.

0ne tweak I've had to do is dig into Zoom's audio settings to include "enable original sound" on my overheads. Zoom by default has a gating algorithm that absolutely loving wrecks drum transients, to the degree that you might be seen playing, but not heard.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I've always heard that if you only have one camera, mount it above you pointing down right in front of your nose. You've still got to move it around to focus on specific things like foot or hand techniques, but for general patterns and exercises it should give a good view of everything at once.

Duke Chin posted:

What the hell brand is that I can't tell.

Anyway yeah a lot of companies just put a creepy lil roll pin in there to stop the twisting. And yep, they break. Time for the ol JB weld.

I thought about picking up some of the permanent Locktite and just seeing how much I could cram in there, but since it doesn't really come apart I wasn't sure if it would be effective. Is JB Weld better at joining two parts without needing to be screwed into threads and setting up?

Duke Chin posted:

Pretty good actually, with the gyms closed I'm going to my studio M-F and can tell I'm making (minor) improvements just from the increased playtime. Right now I'm trying to learn I Was Wrong by Social D, but with hihat pedals on 1/4 notes during the choruses. My left leg is dumb as hell so even a slow simple song like that is giving me a workout.

I was working on making a more accurate score for Black Hole Sun based on other transcriptions and some drum isolation videos on Youtube, and while it doesn't seem to be in the studio recording the drummer played hihat petals on 1/8th notes during that chorus as well as that fucker of a 9/8 guitar solo, so I'm debating if I want to disprove my own existence as a drum god and write a drum score so hard even I can't play it :negative:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm a guitar/keyboard player and I've always been interested in the drums, and have played on a few friends acoustic kits. I'd like to actually get into drumming to keep learning more music. My goal is mainly just to practice and use it for recordings, and to have something else to play when friends come over to jam.

I live in a 4-plex, so sound is an issue. I've been scared away from affordable edrums like the Alesis Nitro Mesh because everyone makes it seem like wasted money. Since I'm just learning, I'm intimidated by purchasing/financing a Roland TD-17 at $1200. (I'm on the look-out for a good used deal, but that's easier said than done.)

So, my first question is, what's a good practice pad for me to start exercises while I look for a solution on which kit I can get? This Double sided pad? This Donner pad? Or is there a better one anyone can recommend?

As for a full kit, I'd obviously love an acoustic kit, but like I said, I have a neighbor directly beside me and below me. If I'd have to spend close to $1200 or so on a e-drum kit to have something that I'd actually like and enjoy and want to keep, wouldn't I be better off using that budget to set up an acoustic kit or a sound-dampening practice area? Are there affordable quiet/sound-dampened beginner kits, something like an affordable American-equivalent Jokeby brand? Is there an affordable way to purchase a decent used kit and convert it to an apartment friendly kit?

Any thoughts or resources on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

A practice pad isn’t necessary, just sticks; your thighs are practice pads. If you want to spend money/not have bruises on your things, get a cheap one; they’re all functionally identical

Evans Sound Off mutes cut a LOT of sound from an acoustic kit, but they’re terrible for technique, so definitely get a practice pad and take a technique lesson or two (and video record it!) if you go that route—I do online lessons and specialize in technique if you’re interested

Since you have a neighbor beneath you, you’ll also want to put the drums on a riser (like this: https://youtu.be/z0Kxoa5K1vg), and try to have them in a room that’s above a room of theirs that they don’t use frequently. You also generally shouldn’t go ham/bash stuff

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
To piggyback onto the question, would a TD-25kv at sub 2k be a good deal if everything was working and it was in decent condition? Staying home is driving me crazy so I’m thinking of getting back into a drumming but I live in a duplex.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

I'm learning the Murray Spivack method because I've always wanted to. My grip sucks so now is the perfect time to get it right.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I accidentally started taking lessons again cuz I asked someone on instagram how they did a thing and now we’re trading lessons so he can prepare for a university teaching job. I had pretty darn good technique before, but now every week we talk I feel like my technique is garbage and I am a sham of a drummer

also quintuplets and septuplets with accent grids while focusing on double plus good technique is ridic and makes me feel like a beginner :downsrim:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Oh I totally feel like a complete noob, too. But I'm really enjoying sitting down to practice every day for at least 30 minutes, even though I'm mostly just doing singles/doubles and making sure my fingers stay put.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Anyone have any suggestions for brush technique or exercises? About a year ago I sat down and started studying brushes as that’s just never something I’ve done. I got as far as a typical jazz sweeping pattern with a little filling but stopped. Now that I’ve been stuck at home with no way of playing my kit for the last 10 weeks, I figured it would be perfect to try to get back into.

landobee
Nov 25, 2004
Be Water
Hi, just trying to learn some very basic things about drums :)
I was wondering if anyone can recognize this snare sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjQSSYOTXzk&t=6s
It says on Planet Gear (http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4151631-planet-gear--khruangbin) that it's supposed to be a Pearl Piccolo Snare.
But every sample I've heard (want to use it as an instrument or sample in a DAW) on whatever website it just doesn't really sound like the snare I hear above :(

And is the very first sound with this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XutKfAL7wx8 a rimshot? It sound higher than other rimshots...

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

DjLando posted:

Hi, just trying to learn some very basic things about drums :)
I was wondering if anyone can recognize this snare sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjQSSYOTXzk&t=6s
It says on Planet Gear (http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4151631-planet-gear--khruangbin) that it's supposed to be a Pearl Piccolo Snare.
But every sample I've heard (want to use it as an instrument or sample in a DAW) on whatever website it just doesn't really sound like the snare I hear above :(

And is the very first sound with this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XutKfAL7wx8 a rimshot? It sound higher than other rimshots...

I only read up to the first line and immediately clicked on the vid and thought "metal, high tuning, maybe a little bit of muffling". I agreee with Planet Gear...I have a maple Pearl piccolo and this sounds like maybe the brass one (kinda guessing since that one is super common)

The sound in the last video is side stick/cross stick. A rim shot is when you simultaneously hit the center of the head and the the rim; this is laying the stick on the drum and hitting only the rim. Side stick/cross stick is often incorrectly referred to as a rim shot and it's a huge pet peeve of mine.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The sound of any drum will depend on so many factors. The wood it's made of, the kind of head and the material the head is made of, the tension on the head, snare tension, stick size, technique, I could go on. Now factor in microphone techniques, studio surrounds, etc. But really the drum sounds you hear could be triggered or greatly enhanced both digitally and acoustically.

For the rim shots, see above, but you can also play around with stick placement and where on the rim you hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns8yYpeWVuk

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that’s definitely a cross stick, with the butt of the stick on the head and the hand laid across the top of the stick and the shoulder of the stick pressed down onto the rim of the drum.

If you’re looking to make a sample like that, maybe try loving around with a woodblock as the base; add some light distortion for the buzzing snares sound and then throw on a ton of reverb (that’s another aspect of the sample that makes it sound the way it does; loots of wet reverb)

That reggae style often has a very faint 16th note delay echo after it too; helps to provide more fatness I guess

Bonzo posted:

For the rim shots, see above, but you can also play around with stick placement and where on the rim you hit.

So true about the length of the rimshot, which you achieve by deciding how far back to pull your wrist. My teachers always called those really short high-pitched ones “ping” shots. Heh

landobee
Nov 25, 2004
Be Water
Thanks for the replies!!:)
Much appreciated; there is so much to learn.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure this has made the rounds already with most of the thread, but the beginning of this Tool song has some strong cross stick game (in addition to the strong everything else game) about a minute in and again about 6:20. Really the whole next 2 minutes are just a giant gently caress you from Danny to every other drummer :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FssULNGSZIA

As for what I've been working on with my surplus drum time, I've finally started trying to really work my HH pedal into things when I'm on crashes or the ride. I started with what I assumed would be an easy song to learn it with, I Was Wrong by Social D. Well it turns out I WAS wrong --------------------- :razz: ------------------- because somehow this song is a bitch to get down even without trying to learn something completely new to me at the same time. It's like the vocals are offset from the drums or they're syncopated somehow, I don't really know how to describe it in proper terms, but however slow it sounds like the drums are, they're slower than that (or I'm just bad and rush quarter notes all the time).

Anyway I finally got it down so it felt pretty good, but when I started trying to record it I could see in the waveforms that I was badly out of sync with my bass notes. My right foot was consistently about .33ms behind my right hand and left foot. I think a contributing factor was that I had also recently adjusted my pedal beater to be a bit further back, so I could loosen the spring a bit but still have a good amount of bounceback after contacting the drum. I liked how that both felt and sounded, but it also means the beater has to travel slightly farther than before.

I ended up correcting more and more until I felt like my right foot was wildly rushing ahead of my left, but that's what finally got things to more or less line up. It still feels wrong when I'm playing that way, are there any bass and HH pedal sync exercises to work on this specifically or is it just something you have to learn the timing and feel for between the different types of pedals?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m not sure if this is the right thread to ask about this, but I’m hoping to start doing some music arranging and/or transcribing in the very near future, and to do that I need to learn how to write percussion music. The problem is that I don’t know jack poo poo about percussion; I’ve only ever played and written music for Bb trumpet. I can’t remenber the last time I’ve even SEEN a piece of percussion music.

I mostly need to learn how to write parts for marching percussion (snares, multi-tenors, bass drums, cymbals, pretty much everything except maybe pit instruments) and a basic drum set. I wouldn’t mind learning how to write for other perc instruments beyond those later on, but those are the things I absolutely need to learn about FIRST.

Jazz Marimba suggested a few resources in the Home Recording megathread, but she also mentioned that they might not be so great for a newbie like myself for various reasons.

Do any of y’all happen to know of some good “how to write not-lovely percussion music” resources for a complete beginner?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m not sure if this is the right thread to ask about this, but I’m hoping to start doing some music arranging and/or transcribing in the very near future, and to do that I need to learn how to write percussion music. The problem is that I don’t know jack poo poo about percussion; I’ve only ever played and written music for Bb trumpet. I can’t remenber the last time I’ve even SEEN a piece of percussion music.

I mostly need to learn how to write parts for marching percussion (snares, multi-tenors, bass drums, cymbals, pretty much everything except maybe pit instruments) and a basic drum set. I wouldn’t mind learning how to write for other perc instruments beyond those later on, but those are the things I absolutely need to learn about FIRST.

Jazz Marimba suggested a few resources in the Home Recording megathread, but she also mentioned that they might not be so great for a newbie like myself for various reasons.

Do any of y’all happen to know of some good “how to write not-lovely percussion music” resources for a complete beginner?

This is my area of expertise! There's a whole lot things to know and keep in mind. Unfortunately I don't know of any resources off the top of my head because all my experience comes from the real world and direct mentorship or whatever, but a quick Google of "writing for marching percussion" seems to turn up some decent articles and leads. At the very least, they don't look totally wrong or anything.

Here are a few thoughts off the dome.

- For marching percussion music, you generally want to make sure all note stems are facing up. Don't ask me why, it's just a thing they like

- Beaming is essential. It can make the difference between a lick that makes sense to a drummer vs. some whack poo poo you did to hack your Finale file into making the rhythm you wanted to hear. Generally you want to beam every note, but sometimes you might find a good excuse to beam something longer, even across a barline, if it more accurately demonstrates the phrase.

- Dynamics are also essential, but in the drumline world you'll more often hear them called heights instead. This refers to the height of the stick. Usually the instructor will make this clarification to the line (not sure if you're signed up for that as well?) but it's usually something like piano = 3 inches, forte = 9 inches, etc. Making sure that your entire snareline, tenor line, and bass line know their heights for every single phrase is mandatory. You can either write the heights in yourself or use traditional dynamics and let the tech work it out, but either way, DON'T neglect defining that. This means lots of crescendos and decrescendos too.

- You need to have an acute awareness of the skill level of the line you're writing for going in. Don't give them stuff that's too hard or they'll be dirty all season. Don't give them stuff that's too easy or they'll be bored (and possibly rush a lot of the more spacious passages).

Gosh there's so much more but that's probably enough for now. Feel free to post in here or DM me if you have more specific questions or want somebody to look it over before you turn it in to make sure it looks and sounds okay!

(Oh, and for drum set stuff? I do that too but tbh I'm not sure if I do it the "right" way so I'll let someone else in here speak to drum set notation. There's much better drum set players here than me)

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

tell me more about marching notation specifics, I know nothing about it cuz I’m a kit player

timp posted:

- For marching percussion music, you generally want to make sure all note stems are facing up. Don't ask me why, it's just a thing they like

this is true for kit too, and the beams should be flat. it’s really only mallets and classical multi-perc setups that use melodic stemming nowadays

timp posted:

- Beaming is essential. It can make the difference between a lick that makes sense to a drummer vs. some whack poo poo you did to hack your Finale file into making the rhythm you wanted to hear. Generally you want to beam every note, but sometimes you might find a good excuse to beam something longer, even across a barline, if it more accurately demonstrates the phrase.

a general engraving trend we’re nearing the full adoption of is beaming to the beat and using slurs to indicate phrasing, like melodic instruments do. ironically it’s vocal music that benefits most from this cuz uhh...just look up some old vocal music and you’ll see why vocalists have a hard time with rhythm :ms:

also I. M. Gei, if you pick up that kit notation book by Norman Weinberg I can give my copy a quick skim and let you know my gripes with it

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I have not read music for a long time but I seem to remember drum charts and sheet music depending on who it was from.

for drumset, go check out any issue of Modern Drummer and they'll be a legend to tell you which line and space is what. Usually hi-hat is an x with a line. I've played my share of pit orchestra and all the sheet music for the musicals was like that.

Marching percussion, unless you are mallets or sideline, is more or less the same way. Let's say you have four bass drums, sizes 20", 18", 16" and 14". The first space will be the 20", 2nd space is the 18" and so on. quads/quints the same way. So things are not really "notes" but just positions on the staff.

I'm a music school drop out going back to the early 90s so maybe the rules have changed but any experienced percussionist should able to understand what you mean. There's gotta be software for this by now anyway.

edit: What are you transcribing? Is it an arranged piece or something a little more improv? You could also always chart things like they do in Jazz

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 15, 2020

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

sooooo with the future of the forums up in the air, do y'all wanna (even temporarily) set up an alternate place for us to keep drumchat going?

made a discordsince that's what some other (bigger) threads on other subforums are doing, but having a whole server with multiple channels seems a bit much for just a handful of drummers

maybe a fb group chat would be better? or expand the discord server for musician's lounge as a whole? thoughts?

join the guitar discord, we got a channel there: https://discord.gg/5jCk5p

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 25, 2020

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
You could hop on the guitar discord, they already added a synth channel and I'm sure they'd be happy to add a drum one too.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I jumped on the SA guitar discord, I'd do a drum channel there. Easy to find.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
i'm gonna have like 500 discords in my server bar when all this poo poo is said and done

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

a mysterious cloak posted:

I jumped on the SA guitar discord, I'd do a drum channel there. Easy to find.

much better idea

guitar discord w/drums channel: https://discord.gg/5jCk5p

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
came here to post the discord link

omgwtf we have way too many guitarists, we need more drummers!!! (tale as old as time)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

guitarists are DORKS

(thanks for the discord link)

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

FBS posted:

guitarists are DORKS

(thanks for the discord link)

:agreed: fuckin pluckin nerds (let's get it out of our systems here before we invade en masse)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hey there drum chums.

My band put out our first recorded material in over three years today. Would be interested to hear any thoughts you might have.

https://gagreflex.bandcamp.com/album/what-we-owe-to-each-other

Bass / drums two piece, sort of punkish but broader than that.

Guitarists *ARE* dorks, no need for them imo