Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
All this calamity has delayed SCG by two years.

Every cross post adds a year.

https://i.imgur.com/9ybSvl7.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Bootcha posted:

All this calamity has delayed SCG by two years.

Every cross post adds a year.

https://i.imgur.com/9ybSvl7.gifv

SCG development just started huh?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
I guess people missed that BnR is run by sexpest admins. It'd suck to lose this thread but I'm not going over there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Horizon Burning posted:

I guess people missed that BnR is run by sexpest admins. It'd suck to lose this thread but I'm not going over there.

Yeah people seem to blowing past this.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

trucutru posted:

Man, I just remembered when butterfly labs bought buttcoin.org

Good times.

Aw poo poo, I almost forgot about Butterfly labs! that was hilarious. Free market libertarians shilling for bitcoin to topple the dollar and one of the biggest scam companies selling outdated shovels to gold rush miners buys out a critic for cash. Because of course they were going to. The truest thing somebody said about bitcoin was that it was like watching the history of economics in fast forward.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

G0RF posted:

Beet:

Is there any possible way for us to petition mods to help us retrieve the 2014-2017 archive of threads? In any format?

That period, especially 2015-2016, is the best real time history of all the drama and absurdity spewing out of CIG daily. Breakdowns of all the little absurd goings on at CIG as new ATVs posted, or RTVs ran, or citizen events took place.

Any future (or continued) in depth documentaries or written histories of the project would benefit especially from that record. Absent some archive, there’s only going to be a handful of people who even remember it. My own memory of the time is pretty sharp, but back when “Big MoMA’s House” or “Even the Pope...” we’re still easily accessible, there were still things I’d sometime re-discover in browsing that I’d forgotten. It’s certainly the definitive record of Derek’s war on JPEGs, among other things.

It’s the goldmine of goldmine for funny little known CIG stories. It’d be a real shame for it to be lost.

It will be the source of Derek Smart’s book anyway. His book will be done after the commercial release of SC
:gary:

Where are Octopode and MOMA by the way ?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

trucutru posted:

I now have 4 tabs to shitpost about SC on! That is not a sustainable situation.

What are the other 2? SC refund Reddit and frontier forums ?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

For a few years the move threads to archive function was busted but the delete threads that have gone to archive function was bopping along happily. So sorry, afaik if they were caught by that then they're gone.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

trucutru posted:

Beets, this is the right time to stage a coup. I know you're been planning it since that time you got demoded for letting all the power go to your head. SCAM deserved much better. We got your back.

I swear undying fealty to the guy that posts Kayak jpegs

G0RF posted:

Beet:

Is there any possible way for us to petition mods to help us retrieve the 2014-2017 archive of threads? In any format?

That period, especially 2015-2016, is the best real time history of all the drama and absurdity spewing out of CIG daily. Breakdowns of all the little absurd goings on at CIG as new ATVs posted, or RTVs ran, or citizen events took place.

Any future (or continued) in depth documentaries or written histories of the project would benefit especially from that record. Absent some archive, there’s only going to be a handful of people who even remember it. My own memory of the time is pretty sharp, but back when “Big MoMA’s House” or “Even the Pope...” we’re still easily accessible, there were still things I’d sometime re-discover in browsing that I’d forgotten. It’s certainly the definitive record of Derek’s war on JPEGs, among other things.

It’s the goldmine of goldmine for funny little known CIG stories. It’d be a real shame for it to be lost.

also this. I was poking around the thread before this one the other day and was sad links to the prior one were dead. One of the early posts I made in that thread was a 'Best Of' from the prior thread and god drat there was so much hilarious stuff, I didn't even get 1% of it. At least I preserved the 'Of Mice and Men' parody with Chris and Eric

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.PayDay posted:

What are the other 2? SC refund Reddit and frontier forums ?

-Beet's discord
-Reddit
-The super secret new Derek/Lowtax forum. They are starting all over again

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
:smuggo: Hey Lowtax, have you stoppped beating your wife?
:ohdear: Wh-why? ... Is that bad?
:stonk:

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Bad stuff, but I wouldn't mind not reading posts about it.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Sandepande posted:

Bad stuff, but I wouldn't mind not reading posts about it.

At least look at the picture in the latest announcement

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
It's strange to be writing this, but in my European country, we are thankfully not affected by the apparent paranoia that's be going on.

I'm actually wary of writing anything that's gonna be taken in a way different manner than intended and be twisted or projected against god knows what,, a problem I didn't have in these forums ever in the past.

Probably going to cut down my posting around here to a minimum, for the benefit of my mental health and peace of mind.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

But as many Idris as you can.

No. Don't.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

AbstractNapper posted:

It's strange to be writing this, but in my European country, we are thankfully not affected by the apparent paranoia that's be going on.

I'm actually wary of writing anything that's gonna be taken in a way different manner than intended and be twisted or projected against god knows what,, a problem I didn't have in these forums ever in the past.

Probably going to cut down my posting around here to a minimum, for the benefit of my mental health and peace of mind.

No. Don't.

You accused people of 'mob mentality' in the steam thread when it turned out that Chris Avellone is a sex pest.

AbstractNapper posted:

Not reproduce a tweet with said content? Or not treat it like it's just innocent passing of information when mobs are a thing that happens every time such things is tweeted?

How is twitter suddenly a reliable source of information of such things anyway, when there's so much false information and attention whoring going on it on a daily basis?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gently caress off away from SA.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 26, 2020

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Greenplastic posted:

At least look at the picture in the latest announcement

I did and it changed everything.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

AbstractNapper posted:

No. Don't.

tHeY'Re OuT tO gEt Us

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Let's laugh at the piece of poo poo video game instead of attack each other for reason

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Oh, man. So soon.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Solarin posted:

Let's laugh at the piece of poo poo video game instead of attack each other for reason
All quiet on the Space Front

:reddit: posted:

Bought the $45USD package, played for 3 days, accomplished nothing.

What a terrible game.

It's as though it does 1000 things at 10%. It has SO many cool ideas that are executed so poorly. The learning curve isn't steep it's a drat cliff. The penalty of respawning is just laughable. Die, wake up, run to a metro, wait to get to the port, find a computer, make a claim on your ship, wait, go down to the hanger, get your ship, take off, leap to your destination, get in a dog fight, die because it's terrible, rinse and repeat.

Everything feels like a clunky mess and the more I read about the money that people have given to this game the more I feel sick and upset that I contributed.

How long does it take to refund?

I bought a game package a week ago but after the exhausting amount of bugs and the overall sluggishness of gameplay, I decided to call it quits and spend my money elsewhere that would actually provide me entertainment.

How long would it take for them to respond to my query? I already submitted a request on their support website and I've followed the sidebar rules here such as screenshotting my account details and such.

About refunding.

Hello.

I backed star citizen a while ago, time to time I am entering the game to check if there is anything new, which is almost nothing for years, other than more, expensive and not functional ships.

Even tho I am not playing much, time to time I upgraded my ship while there is a big discount, etc, so right now I have a Freelancer DUR. One of the reasons I generally don't play the game is the cultist who accepts anything blindly.

I am a lead level game developer my self. Working on a AAA MMO project as well, and to be honest, I am amazed at how slow things progressing in SC.Some months ago a former lead developer from CIG applies a position to the company I am working. I was chosen by my CTO to make the first interview. I was amazed by how clueless a developer can be. The code example provided, the answer given to the questions.

Then I understand what's really wrong with SC. Most of the devs neither have clue nor experience to be able to create a flexible code system for a project as complex as SC.One of my questions was "What is the things you are considering while creating a base class". He did not even have a clue.For those who are not a coder, a base class is the core of a class. For example, you create a base class for a gun. Code everything to it. Aim using the mouse, fire, when pressed, left button, etc. Rest of the guns created by that base class. So you won't have to code the common features every single time.

Anyway, I waited for months for this post to protect the identity of the other developer, ( and mine ) so I don't believe that this game will EVER on the playable state.

My question is. Is there a refund option, according to CIG website there is none but I bet there is a way and I am sure you guys now how :D

Best

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 26, 2020

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

G0RF posted:

Beet:

Freedom of Information Request to our new overlord, the Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

You accused people of 'mob mentality' in the steam thread when it turned out that Chris Avellone is a sex pest.

gently caress off away from SA.

I don't think this its necessary to do this. I appreciate you including the post you were talking about but imo it's really not something a person should be instantly exiled for. To me it doesn't seem like the toxic bad faith poo poo that's so loving common in our current discourse, but hell I'm no expert.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Solarin posted:

I don't think this its necessary to do this. I appreciate you including the post you were talking about but imo it's really not something a person should be instantly exiled for. To me it doesn't seem like the toxic bad faith poo poo that's so loving common in our current discourse, but hell I'm no expert.

The current discourse is that we should believe women and not call their attempts to out their molesters as 'attention whoring'. Check out what's happening with the forums rn maybe?

Also lol at Star Citizen.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 26, 2020

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

The current discourse is that we should believe women. Check out what's happening with the forums rn maybe?

Also lol at Star Citizen.

Yeah I agree with you, and I think it takes time to internalize what that means to a brain that's existed for a couple decades already in a world where sexual predators were quietly excused. I didn't say the probe was unjustified, I said the quoted post didn't seem to be made in bad faith from my point of view. I don't have all the context here, just a snap perception from one post that got quoted. Also I'm biased because I like the poster's Seinfeld avatar

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
For what is worth, I never said no to believe women; I have many women in my life, sisters, friends, my mother. I love them and support them whenever possible as much as I can. I don't know why I should point this out, but I really feel that my posts were twisted to be taken as an attack or whatever.

I thought that conversation belonged in another thread and it would derail the Steam Games one. And I tried to justify why I thought it was a derail and why I don't trust twitter, especially in the last few months, with the Covid-19 pandemic on top.

Anyway, the posts and full discussion are there, as far as I know nothing got deleted (I am not following the topic since). I really don't want to get into this any further. If you're interested in making a judgement about me from those posts but you know not my entire posting history in the forum, go ahead.

I don't want to debate this, it's not gonna work.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Avellone confessed to it and here you are doubling down on everything. Just gently caress off.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think you're right not to continue arguing and certainly not here: don't feel you should reply to this post.

However a useful point to take away and ponder is that, on average, around 5% of rape allegations are false. Which means 95% of them are true. The standard for criminal conviction is beyond reasonable doubt, which is often abstracted as 95% certainty.

So assuming that most allegations are broadly accurate isn't at all crazy, even on a purely statistical basis.

It shifts the balance of power, but that's actually an ok thing to do because there has been a lot of harm done, mostly (but not exclusively) to women, by the status quo.

ANY WAYS how about that star citizen I deeply felt for the guy who played for three hours and didn't find anything fun

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is Star Shitizen still on the way to a huge record year?

Some guy on a different forum full of shills wasn't impressed for trying it the first time since backing (no idea when he backed), considering 8 years of development have passed. And a shill told him

quote:

NPC missions mostly for earning money.
If you got a potent ship you can easily do Claim Jumpers.
Highly recommend trying mining, with ships not in person. This system is very good and engaging.
Which basically sounds like "you'll have fun if you buy more ships!!1!" but no Sir the game is not P2W, no, noooope.
:thunk:

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Horizon Burning posted:

Uhhh details?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

UnknownTarget posted:

Uhhh details?

Renee banned Queen Combat and a couple of other people for being (iirc) ‘transphobic vultures’. I do not know anything about what happened or is alleged to have happened, but there were certainly other SA people alleging Renee was wrong. Apparently someone on B&R also outs trans people (not sure if this is Queen Combat or someone else).

This seems like extremely strange behaviour for people who run a leftist LGBTQ website, is my take, but I don’t care enough about forum drama to investigate ‘the truth’.

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro
lol star citizen

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Beet Wagon posted:

Okay, so B&R chat time.

I know several (many?) of you are considering going to b&r for your posting needs! This is good and fine, and currently I believe they have waived the entry fee so you stand to lose nothing by making an account there. I don't know if b&r is going to become the new SA or not, but it might help to understand a little bit more about where it came from.

A few months ago there was a big meltdown on the forums (I know, that doesn't really narrow it down) centered around the subforums D&D and CSPAM. Some folks who mostly stick to Games might not be familiar with those forums, so D&D is Debate and Discussion and CSPAM is... well, it's CSPAM. D&D is for reasonable discussions about politics and social issues and CSPAM is the shitposting subforum of D&D. Basically, the difference is in D&D you'll get long, well-reasoned posts about why this or that politician is good (or bad), and in CSPAM you'll see dozens of people posting "TRMUP" and pictures of guillotines and begging for President Xi to fire the missiles or whatever. I'm a big fan of CSPAM.

In any case, this particular forums drama centered around CSPAM, and the feeling some (many?) of its members had that moderators were biased against them. There's a lot to unpack there, and for what it's worth I never really saw any evidence of anti-CSPAM bias during my time on the modteam, but whatever. At the same time there was also some side drama with one of the moderators being accused of being a nazi, so the whole thing was a jumbled mess of frustration and "all mods are bastards" sentiment. Anyway there were a lot of calls for CSPAM to be made its own subforum, out from under the oppressive clutches of D&D, and even more calls to completely open the moderator forum to the public so people could pick through and find evidence of wrongdoing. Eventually, several of the CSPAM crew said "gently caress it" and went off to make their own, better forum. That's where we got b&r from. It's a site created by left-leaning posters who felt persecuted by the admin and mod team here.

I don't say that to discourage anyone from going. I know at least a couple of the core b&r people and like them. There's nothing inherently wrong with a group of lefties running a forum (we had a lefty moderator for years and we did okay), and quite frankly I have no idea what their posting culture is like or how it's going to change (they got ~4000 new people yesterday which is guaranteed to shake things up a bit) so it's an open question there. But, since at least a few of us spend most of our time here or in Games in general, I figured some background information on b&r and where they came from might help y'all make your decisions.

I don't know if anyone really cares but let me clarify the D&D/CSPAM differences as someone heavily involved in politics (and CSPAM):

D&D is a subforum largely for those who still believe in electoral politics. Posters here are usually socially left but economically center. They either believe capitalism can be salvaged or reformed to welfare capitalism / socialism through voting within the system.

CSPAM is a subforum largely populated by leftists who either don't care about electoral politics or use it merely as a tool on the way towards the death of capitalism. Posters here are usually socially left and economically left. Most users don't believe capitalism can be abolished by working in the system.

I see shitposting in CSPAM as dark humor, and a way to cope with the new horrors of each day. It reminds me of how we used to cope when I worked as an EMT. The TRUMP thread is full shitposting now because of how comically horrific Trump is. In most of the other threads you'll find bits of theory, debate, and deliberation, but the desperate humor is always there. D&D and CSPAM came together for a bit on Bernie, for different reasons, but now they are distinct again (Biden and Tara Reade).

Anyways CSPAM = a solid leftist space, not necessarily just a place to shitpost.

B&R is much the same, with less shitposting. It's a good place to go if you're a leftist. Not sure it will matter though since the forums might survive, but I haven't caught up on the forum crisis so who knows.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

listen, it's very simple, I'll just have to climb the ladder of power in another forum, a thought that definitely doesn't make me want to kill myself

Should have been easy enough with Kayak pictures, really, though I'm glad it looks like it won't be needed.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Funion posted:

I don't know if anyone really cares but let me clarify the D&D/CSPAM differences as someone heavily involved in politics (and CSPAM):

D&D is a subforum largely for those who still believe in electoral politics. Posters here are usually socially left but economically center. They either believe capitalism can be salvaged or reformed to welfare capitalism / socialism through voting within the system.

CSPAM is a subforum largely populated by leftists who either don't care about electoral politics or use it merely as a tool on the way towards the death of capitalism. Posters here are usually socially left and economically left. Most users don't believe capitalism can be abolished by working in the system.

I see shitposting in CSPAM as dark humor, and a way to cope with the new horrors of each day. It reminds me of how we used to cope when I worked as an EMT. The TRUMP thread is full shitposting now because of how comically horrific Trump is. In most of the other threads you'll find bits of theory, debate, and deliberation, but the desperate humor is always there. D&D and CSPAM came together for a bit on Bernie, for different reasons, but now they are distinct again (Biden and Tara Reade).

Anyways CSPAM = a solid leftist space, not necessarily just a place to shitpost.

B&R is much the same, with less shitposting. It's a good place to go if you're a leftist. Not sure it will matter though since the forums might survive, but I haven't caught up on the forum crisis so who knows.

ho fan posted:

There are 8 topics in the real life activism forum and 134 in the moderation complaints forum.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Solarin posted:

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

G0RF posted:

Beet:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238 2016 thread

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

sebmojo posted:

I think you're right not to continue arguing and certainly not here: don't feel you should reply to this post.

However a useful point to take away and ponder is that, on average, around 5% of rape allegations are false. Which means 95% of them are true. The standard for criminal conviction is beyond reasonable doubt, which is often abstracted as 95% certainty.

So assuming that most allegations are broadly accurate isn't at all crazy, even on a purely statistical basis.

It shifts the balance of power, but that's actually an ok thing to do because there has been a lot of harm done, mostly (but not exclusively) to women, by the status quo.

ANY WAYS how about that star citizen I deeply felt for the guy who played for three hours and didn't find anything fun

Whilst I applaud your level headed approach to this topic, it really is a trap using statistics to cover a very complex and emotional topic. Each and every allegation should be treated on its own merits.
Their should never be a carte blanche statement that you should believe one person over another, never.

Now it's my turn to discuss some space game.
Buy a terrapin.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Torquemada posted:

Renee banned Queen Combat and a couple of other people for being (iirc) ‘transphobic vultures’. I do not know anything about what happened or is alleged to have happened, but there were certainly other SA people alleging Renee was wrong. Apparently someone on B&R also outs trans people (not sure if this is Queen Combat or someone else).

This seems like extremely strange behaviour for people who run a leftist LGBTQ website, is my take, but I don’t care enough about forum drama to investigate ‘the truth’.

That's different than what sexpest implies. Would be really interested in knowing what's going on before I leave one forum run by a domestic abuser for another run by rapists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

G0RF posted:

Beet:

https://github.com/Fumblemouse/SA-Archiving-Tool