Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

qirex posted:

I've seen X-pro2 bodies sell as low as 600 but I don't think your prices are unusual, the average sold price on eBay seems to be 700-750.

Good to know I'm not crazy, I based them off prices I was seeing on Amazon for used examples.

Martytoof posted:

We’re also in a place where disposable income may not be available for hobbies to a non-insignificant percentage of the population. Your market is a pool of smaller people right now, and I’d expect the people who would be buying secondhand photo equipment (as good as it may be) are probably the ones who are looking to maybe wait for some stability.

This is true, I may add them to Amazon or Ebay at the end of the week if I don't get any bites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Ouhei posted:

Am I asking too much for these things? I have them listed several places with no bites and I feel like I had an easier time selling off Fuji gear in the past. Maybe I'm just being too impatient.

IMO yes. Over the past few years I've bought a 35 1.4 for $400, the 16 for $700, and the 56 also for $700 (all including all boxes, hood, caps, etc., and in excellent condition).

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

grahm posted:

IMO yes. Over the past few years I've bought a 35 1.4 for $400, the 16 for $700, and the 56 also for $700 (all including all boxes, hood, caps, etc., and in excellent condition).

I've seen a few pop up around those prices as well over the years, I'll do some more digging to see recent sales and may adjust. I don't need top dollar to do what I want with the proceeds but I don't want to not get what they're worth either.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Ouhei posted:

Good to know I'm not crazy, I based them off prices I was seeing on Amazon for used examples.

This is true, I may add them to Amazon or Ebay at the end of the week if I don't get any bites.

i wouldnt recommend buying used w/ fuji to many problems

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

larper posted:

I've bought all of my Fuji stuff used over the years and never had an issue?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

larper posted:

This is not true.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

grahm posted:

Yeah I'm not in the market right now but the prices above are about what I'd expect to pay.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

larper posted:

Lol, you what, mate?

95% of all of my Fuji equipment is used, and I've never had even the slightest issue.

Even the stuff that was shipped to me rattling around in a half opened mailing envelope, only wrapped in sheets of a legal pad, works perfectly.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Easychair Bootson posted:

Yeah I'm not in the market right now but the prices above are about what I'd expect to pay.

I did some digging and agree, dropped my prices a bit in the buy/sell thread.

What's weird is KEH will buy my 35 1.4 for $400, but every other thing is such a low ball it's not worth selling them.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Ouhei posted:

I did some digging and agree, dropped my prices a bit in the buy/sell thread.

What's weird is KEH will buy my 35 1.4 for $400, but every other thing is such a low ball it's not worth selling them.

MPB usually pays pretty well.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

XBenedict posted:

Even if their prices weren't great the service is really good

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

XBenedict posted:

Pricing for the camera body and 35 aren't bad, 16 is a bit low and the 56 is low. But, it's better than KEH overall and is a decent fallback.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Ouhei posted:

Pricing for the camera body and 35 aren't bad, 16 is a bit low and the 56 is low. But, it's better than KEH overall and is a decent fallback.

Well, what's pointsofdata said above is true. If QOL and your time mean anything, the MPB experience is top notch. I sold some Nikon gear with them, got just a little less than I would have through ebay (including their fees), and I didn't really have to mess with anything. Money was in my account like the day after they received the package.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
RIP Olympus.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 24, 2020

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

larper posted:

I'm gonna bite. How is buying used fuji gear any worse than buying any other camera gear used?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

At first I thought there was going to be other stuff in the imaging business, and the m43 segment would be scrapped, but it looks like it's just M43 in it. It seems unlikely that they'd buy it just to shut the whole thing down unless olympus had a load of valuable patents, so it could be that M43 cameras in the existing model lines will continue to be manufactured under the olympus brand, just with new owners (or they'll start value engineering the entire lineup)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

They are apparently the people who bough the VAIO line from Sony and which seem to get decent reviews, so it does look like it must not just be asset stripping vultures.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I wonder if they will sell it to a Chinese consumer company.

I have been saying the prosumer business is over crowded for a while.

I checked the Vaio website, they only sell two model of laptops now, not sure if they are in Japan only.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

I'm never getting the drat zoom, am I 2020?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

I wonder if they will sell it to a Chinese consumer company.

I have been saying the prosumer business is over crowded for a while.

I checked the Vaio website, they only sell two model of laptops now, not sure if they are in Japan only.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLUmBwpKnwU
That laptop already feels like it embodies the typical Olympus camera.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
13 inch screen but in a 17 inch chassis?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Maybe Yongnuo/Laowa/Godox get Olympus and we get some neat crazy stuff like the YN450 but actually done well.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The g100 looks pretty bad, no ibis, extra crop shooting 4k, 1/500s mechanical shutter.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

So much for investing in another oly lens. I guess its time to look towards a fuji.

I can always go back to a full frame that I won’t want to carry anywhere.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Fools Infinite posted:

1/500s mechanical shutter.

Woah.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

So much for investing in another oly lens. I guess its time to look towards a fuji.

I can always go back to a full frame that I won’t want to carry anywhere.

As someone who switched from Oly to Fuji, you won’t be sorry. This X-T3 is streets ahead.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
4/3 still has the best video option. I am still waiting for Fuji to put a good vlogging AF and AE engine in their compact A series.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

So apparently Olympus is selling its camera division to JIP?

https://www.43rumors.com/it-happened-olympus-sold-the-imaging-business-to-jip/

Wonder what this is going to bring in the future. My EM1 Mk2 isn't gonna stop working anytime soon, but now I'm not sure what a potential future upgrade path is.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Ropes4u posted:

My only issue with Fuji is their f/2.8 zooms are gigantic.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

ugh whatever jeez posted:

As someone who spent 5 hours last night wearing an X-H1 with battery grip and 50-140, can confirm. It was like carrying a DSLR again...but maybe heavier.

I love it, but the whole point of a mirrorless is lighter. Ironically, last night I was seriously considering selling up and moving to Oly just for the weight savings.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I would be much happier with an up-and-coming Chinese camera manufacturer buying the camera business from Olympus than a private equity firm which will focus on cost cutting and effectively what is company hospice.

Overall this is not great for m43 given that Panasonic's focus is now split between m43 and Full Frame

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Physics? APS-C is not that much smaller than FF

red19fire
May 26, 2010

red19fire posted:

For all my fellow fuji heads, they're doing a promo for check & clean for $54. It's supposed to end today, but the technician I spoke to on the phone last week said they're going to extend it through September.

I'm sending my lenses in today to be on the safe side.

Update, I got my XF lenses back and they're pristine again after 4 years of heavy usage, this was like a factory refurb for $55. Even replaced the rubber on the zoom ring that had loosened up.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm gonna bite. How is buying used fuji gear any worse than buying any other camera gear used?

Doesn't last as long as Cannon

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GEMorris posted:

I would be much happier with an up-and-coming Chinese camera manufacturer buying the camera business from Olympus than a private equity firm which will focus on cost cutting and effectively what is company hospice.

There’s a whole lot different between Japanese business practices and American ones, I feel like it isn’t fair to say this will be a Toys ‘R Us situation straight out of the block.

The last thing that’s going to happen is a major Japanese electronics firm letting a big piece like this go to a Chinese firm, too.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Do you guys prefer the Pentax scenario which basically semi retired the brand and only really serious (old) FF lens owners get to continue use their FF lens.

So far ricoh has made 2 FF bodies and released 2 midrange APSC bodies in 2016 and 2017, thats it. If you own APSC high end lens you are kind of screwed.

IMO these sunseting brands should get together and release new bodies every year with same new technologies, but with their own mount. Like how phone companies use new soc from Qualcomm and Mediatek every year, but have little bit of their own spins.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The shrinking of the market is going to slow down the pace of product releases a lot. I'd guess 4-5 years will be normal between flagship bodies instead of the 2-3 we have now. Or new models with only a sensor upgrade, E-M1 III style.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dammit does this mean the 150-400mm is dead because I will be so mad

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

harperdc posted:

There’s a whole lot different between Japanese business practices and American ones, I feel like it isn’t fair to say this will be a Toys ‘R Us situation straight out of the block.

The last thing that’s going to happen is a major Japanese electronics firm letting a big piece like this go to a Chinese firm, too.

Maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

qirex posted:

The shrinking of the market is going to slow down the pace of product releases a lot. I'd guess 4-5 years will be normal between flagship bodies instead of the 2-3 we have now. Or new models with only a sensor upgrade, E-M1 III style.

Personally I always thought there were to many different model ranges, especially on the lower end of the market. I'd rather see that than having models updated less often.