Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Ahem. Steel. Actually what is Steel up to now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Skwirl posted:

Halagar Barryagon

Harold and Bartholomew.

I forget sometimes that Barry is just another shortening of Bartholomew.

And Death Metal #1 was pretty cool, even if I’m not a huge fan of The Batman Who Laughs, and the Dark Multiverse crap.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am always extremely amused with how popular Miles Morales has become that DC already had a book that was Black Spider-Man but just didn't want the Milestone guys to get a cent. Static Shock was a really fun book and he is a perfect way to do a young solo character that isn't just instantly shoved into Teen Titans. I am glad a combination of mass protests and Bendis always aggressively pushing for more diversity has finally maybe caused DC to offer a better selection of books.

I asked a friend to name a black character, at all , in a current DC title that wasn't Suicide Squad. We managed to get to three before we had to give up. Maybe DC will manage to add a LGBT character to some series too while they are at it.

Miles's dad needs to get renamed though. A black cop named Jefferson Davis is just off in so many ways.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Vixen. Black Lightning's daughters Thunder and Lightning. Bronze Tiger, who is not currently on the Squad.

The specification was "currently in a book" and I don't think any of those characters are. Actually I don't even think Thunder and Lightning even exist in current continuity.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
My first thought was that the Flash's full first name must be Barrington.

Dawgstar posted:

Vixen. Black Lightning's daughters Thunder and Lightning. Bronze Tiger, who is not currently on the Squad.

I'm not sure Bronze Tiger has appeared in anything other than cameos since the early part of Tom King's Batman? I am 99% sure that Black Lightning's kids didn't exist in the New 52, have they been brought back since, because the DC wikia says neither has appeared since 2011.

Has Vixen been appearing anywhere outside of group shots since Steve Orlando's side JLA book ended? I don't think Steel's done much outside of appear in group shots since Rebirth either.

Also DC does not and has never owned any of the Milestone characters, which explains at least part of why they haven't used Virgil or anyone else to their full potential. The entire 'return' of the characters from 2008-2012 was generally badly handled in a way that doesn't give me a lot of faith in this latest revival via DC, and whatever is going on behind the scenes that led McDuffie's family to file lawsuits drains things even more.

I'd love to see something get worked out between the Milestone founders, but "inject them into the DC Universe!" is not my top pick for how to bring any of those characters back.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

barry is actually short for fionnbharr

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Missed opportunity not retconning Hal's full name to Halcyon

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The 60s Metamorpho and Metal Men series are extremely good. I recommend them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

Has Vixen been appearing anywhere outside of group shots since Steve Orlando's side JLA book ended? I don't think Steel's done much outside of appear in group shots since Rebirth either.

Steel was a major character in the Superwoman book along with Natasha I believe.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Roth posted:

Black Lightning and Duke in Batman and the Outsiders
Kid Flash in Teen Titans
John Stewart in Justice League
Cyborg in Justice League Odyssey
Kid Lantern in Young Justice
Naomi is either in YJ or Action Comics or something
That Young Animal Green Lantern book

I can't think of any others

I totally forgot that Batman and the Outsiders existed, but it is a pretty good book. I was only able to easily think of Wally West, Cyborg, and the main character of Far Sector. I don't know why I spaced on Young Justice but them being created by the leading voice for diversity at a major publisher makes a ton of sense.

Still, I think my point is pretty apparent.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Aqualad and Black Manta were also cut off that list.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh lord please don't let my nightmare about the Three Jokers be some excuse for BWL or Bruce to be the 4th Joker because every deck needs a full suite

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkk7RracXCQ
this got recommended to me on Youtube so now you all have to see it too.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I was avoiding clicking on that recommendation for a reason.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Thanks, I hate it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Oh lord please don't let my nightmare about the Three Jokers be some excuse for BWL or Bruce to be the 4th Joker because every deck needs a full suite

but there are only 2 jokers in a deck of cards...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FilthyImp posted:

Chip Zdarsky made a joke on twitter a few years ago about how if his Marvel contract negotiation didn't go well he'd walk over to DC and slip them a note saying "a fourth joker." he deleted it and I don't know when he deleted it but my theory is it was shortly after Matt Fraction or Kelly Sue Deconnick got hired and some said to them "tell Chip to cool it with the 4th joker thing."

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

BrianWilly posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkk7RracXCQ
this got recommended to me on Youtube so now you all have to see it too.

I'm amazed at how terminally uncool BatJoker is, like a parody of himself.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TheHan posted:

I'm amazed at how terminally uncool BatJoker is, like a parody of himself.
It's an excuse to have MeanBatman that fulfills all the "With enough time and planning Batman can beat Goku!" memes from Infinite Crisis era DC.

They're lucky they struck gold with that poo poo because it's the perfect band-aid to getting rid of Gen5.

I at least like that they had fun with that video

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Darth Nat posted:

Thanks, I hate it.

couldve at least put in some effort and used an actual decent manson song, off of antichrist superstar or mechanical animals or something

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Harold and Bartholomew.

I forget sometimes that Barry is just another shortening of Bartholomew.

And Death Metal #1 was pretty cool, even if I’m not a huge fan of The Batman Who Laughs, and the Dark Multiverse crap.

Edge & Christian posted:

My first thought was that the Flash's full first name must be Barrington.

It was actually, originally, Barrence.

They retconned it to Bartholomew 3 years after Bart showed up with the name. Another solid Waid retcon.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

FilthyImp posted:

It's an excuse to have MeanBatman that fulfills all the "With enough time and planning Batman can beat Goku!" memes from Infinite Crisis era DC.

They're lucky they struck gold with that poo poo because it's the perfect band-aid to getting rid of Gen5.

I at least like that they had fun with that video

But that’s the worst part of Batman! And I wanted a few Jonathan Kent as Superman stories :argh:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
so idk about the canonicity of the Alan Scott story in the GL 100-page special, especially with 5G being dropped, but it sure looks like they're sticking with him being gay

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I wonder if they will do rose and thorn as a surrogate mother so jade and Todd can exist.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

This week's Suicide Squad makes me extremely sad that Tom Taylor isn't writing the main Batman title. So good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This week's Suicide Squad makes me extremely sad that Tom Taylor isn't writing the main Batman title. So good.

Why couldn't DC make the same mistake everyone on Twitter does and accidently sent the Batman contract to Taylor instead of King.

Edit: Or maybe that's what actually happened?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I don't think the Conner/Palmiotti Birds of Prey book is all that good, and their version of Harley is a distillation of everything irritating about that character, but I would read a book about the actual Birds of Prey as depicted in this title.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Y'know, I read through that GL thing so fast and so late last night and so trying to get to the Kyle portions :shobon: that I didn't even register the part about Alan until now. Which is silly 'cuz upon rereading it's just...pretty openly there.

It's gonna depend a lot on how future writers take this, but the writing here is good enough that I can't help but be excited. There's so much that could be written about an older-older man who just never came out and maybe even ended up having children with a woman, and hey gently caress it maybe Obsidian can still be gay as well and then we can deal with the generational difference of perspectives on that.

I mean it could also go terribly, but I hope not.

The book itself is pretty great, incidentally. A ton of amazing art. I fell out of the current Morrison GL book who knows how long ago and it's nice to see the crew back.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

There was very little from James Robinson's Earth 2 book that I enjoyed, but Alan being a gay man was a nice twist to his story, although I don't remember much being done with it.

I think saying one of the first DC superheroes is, canonically, gay is pretty awesome and a good way to show how far the world's come in the last few decades.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

There was very little from James Robinson's Earth 2 book that I enjoyed, but Alan being a gay man was a nice twist to his story, although I don't remember much being done with it.

There was nothing done with it. He was about to propose to his partner and then the train they were on exploded. Alan never gets another love interest for the entirety of the Earth 2 story. I don't know whether it would be more appropriate to call it fridging or to call it queerbaiting.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TwoPair posted:

There was nothing done with it. He was about to propose to his partner and then the train they were on exploded. Alan never gets another love interest for the entirety of the Earth 2 story. I don't know whether it would be more appropriate to call it fridging or to call it queerbaiting.

He comes back as the Air spirit I think? I did appreciate Alan bring his universes Swamp Thing and not a wizard, but the elementals thing also went nowhere.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

He comes back as the Air spirit I think? I did appreciate Alan bring his universes Swamp Thing and not a wizard, but the elementals thing also went nowhere.

Earth 2 basically fizzled out into nothing after the series after Convergence. Idk if it's a shame or not since there really wasn't much happening at that point. Even the Future's End thing still has a series that's continuing long after its relevance, though at this point, the events of Future's End in that series are so far back that they may have not even happened at this point.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah but he promptly dies again, or gets merged I guessed, to give Alan a power-up after like 3 or 4 issues.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Big get at the shop today (price in CAD)-

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Thats a hell of a bargain! Those TPBs are probably long since out of print, and they never collected the Quarterly issues.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Give us.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That’s awesome. I have about the quarterlies but am missing the annual and a chunk of the run.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Incredible find. Very jealous.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
I have been hoping for a Question Omnibus. Congratulations on getting just that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm super happy that I got the trades and that they actually completed the run in the trades as opposed to releasing the first few and randomly stopping after that