Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Baron Porkface posted:

What does buying the Battletech manual get me?

This blog post goes over the thinking behind it and breaks down what bits it steals from which books (and often why):

https://bg.battletech.com/news/news-and-announcements/what-is-the-battlemech-manual/

Get the brand new third printing if you can (it fixes more errata and, more significantly, has an index at the back, unlike the earlier prints).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Holy poo poo, they didn't have an index until the third edition? Never change, CGL.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Yeah. I assumed all along it was going to have one after mentioning it early in the design process, and then we got close to time to press and I brought it up again and the assumption on the other end was that the book didn't need it. By then it was too late to do anything about it. Fortunately it proved to be a good enough seller (and fortunately the new line developer agreed as to the need for it) that there was the chance to reconsider.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
New BattleTech novella just came out "Grey Watch Covenant" (part 1 of 3?), about the Battle of Northwind as detailed in Shattered Fortress. While the outcome it already known, I really enjoyed Shell Games which did the same thing (For the Battle of Dieron), and I enjoyed Blaine Lee Pardoe's last two books he just released, so I'm getting it.

Real nice to see BattleTech have all this new fiction now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Does Pardoe still "Stackpole" 'Mechs left right and center?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, there's a part where a Mech takes two Arrow IV rounds to the chest. When the smoke clears, the top half of the mech is gone.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I don't recall that happening at all in 'Divided We Fall' or 'Forever Faithful'.

There might have been one instance in FF, but it was over so quickly as another mech got cored right behind the explodey one. May have just been an ammo explosion, now that I recall.

I will say that the dialog in them both was a bit stunted, but hey, I'm not a writer. And stunted direct dialog sounds correct for Clan characters.

I still need to read my copy of A Splinter of Hope/The Anvil, too bad I can't find it in PoD.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SirFozzie posted:

Well, there's a part where a Mech takes two Arrow IV rounds to the chest. When the smoke clears, the top half of the mech is gone.
I mean, that sounds kind of awesome, if we're being honest here.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SirFozzie posted:

That's actually consistent with the rules, unlike Stackpoling. Being destroyed by artillery is one of the two things that renders a mech unsalvageable (the other being death by ammo explosion)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

PoptartsNinja posted:

Better question is if the south rises again.

That is Pardoe, right?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Stackpoling is in the rules. That section of the rules just happens to start with "this is dumb and would never happen but everyone wants it to so here", but it's definitely in there.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

Stackpoling is in the rules. That section of the rules just happens to start with "this is dumb and would never happen but everyone wants it to so here", but it's definitely in there.

Yes they made a rule for it after Stackpole decided he didn't care that it made no sense. Like how they keep adding rules for magic because Stackpole's characters need to be special.

Taerkar posted:

Better question is if the south rises again.

That is Pardoe, right?

Yep, that's him. His pet character is compared over and over to Stonewall Jackson and it's some kind of propaganda coup, because the English and Germans care a shitload about the American Civil War.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I believe the TechManual had a bit in it that was a lecture/presentation where the speaker referred to 'Stackpoling' as people seeing a large flash when the fusion engine shielding was breached and assuming it meant the mech was blown up because said mech would be on the ground after their vision returned.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Defiance Industries posted:

That's actually consistent with the rules, unlike Stackpoling. Being destroyed by artillery is one of the two things that renders a mech unsalvageable (the other being death by ammo explosion)

By that I mean the top half is totally vaporized, and the bottom half is just standing there.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SirFozzie posted:

By that I mean the top half is totally vaporized, and the bottom half is just standing there.
In the grand scheme of unbelievable BattleTech happenings, I'm pretty okay with this narrative.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SirFozzie posted:

Hey, damage doesn't transfer from the torsos into the legs.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I keep wanting to have a scene in an upcoming book where someone ridicules the idea of anyone caring about the ACW in the year 3000, like someone getting immensely worked up over the Avar-Byzantine wars of the 7th century today.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 28, 2020

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Funny you should mention that, I'm working on something for Shrapnel.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Is the ability to submit ideas to Shrapnel contingent on being a kickstarter backer? I ordered the first issue from Amazon 'cause I heard it had lots of Dark Age stories.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

No, the submission guidelines are in the back of the magazine.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

What's the ACW again? I'm relatively new to Battletech lore and the only thing that comes to my mind that ACW is related to is the Arctic Wolf.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Blake bless you.

I actually have a story draft lying around where a Star League crew is watching an ACW "historical drama" with fighter jets strafing trenches, but I've never finished it. I should polish it off at some point.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 28, 2020

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Floppychop posted:

What's the ACW again? I'm relatively new to Battletech lore and the only thing that comes to my mind that ACW is related to is the Arctic Wolf.

The (American) Civil War. Protagonists in novels by Pardoe have a tendency to reference it despite it occurring over a millennium ago because it's what Pardoe knows.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DeepThrobble posted:

The (American) Civil War. Protagonists in novels by Pardoe have a tendency to reference it despite it occurring over a millennium ago because it's what Pardoe knows.

Don't forget to mention that Pardoe wants to equate Victor's side (the plot-designated virtuous heroes) with the Confederacy (who were fighting for the right to own human beings as property).

Xotl posted:

Blake bless you.

I actually have a story draft lying around where a Star League crew is watching an ACW "historical drama" with fighter jets strafing trenches, but I've never finished it. I should polish it off at some point.

I'm thinking the line I'm going with is "Of course, there were many nation-states on Terra before the Western Alliance started its spaceflight program, but they're not particularly relevant to us. It's not like we're talking about the Federation of Skye here."

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 28, 2020

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

DeepThrobble posted:

Oh snap, yeah that makes zero sense to reference in an emotional tone 1200 years later.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
There's a reason I don't enjoy Pardoe's novels as a general rule.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

I'm thinking the line I'm going with is "Of course, there were many nation-states on Terra before the Western Alliance started its spaceflight program, but they're not particularly relevant to us. It's not like we're talking about the Federation of Skye here."

Yeah, that's perfect: it's really like what anyone outside of military history instructors would be saying. America and Canada went into the Terran Hegemony, and the Hegemony was reduced to slag, so not even "muh ancient culture" people would have an investment in something so ancient.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I can see world-shattering wars like the Roman and Mongol conquests and the three World Wars being referenced in the 31st century but I honestly don't see how a minor, localized affair like the ACW would even register to anyone but a huge pre-spaceflight history nerd.

I feel like if you're someone in the 31st century the Star League Civil War would be the civil war you'd be referencing if you needed to draw parallels to another civil war.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Xotl posted:

Yeah, that's perfect: it's really like what anyone outside of military history instructors would be saying. America and Canada went into the Terran Hegemony, and the Hegemony was reduced to slag, so not even "muh ancient culture" people would have an investment in something so ancient.

The only reason we're even going as far back as the Terran Alliance is that the 2nd Donegal used to be the 11th Terran Rangers and so it's specifically relevant to them; for basically everyone else in the Inner Sphere, the Outer Reaches Rebellion is basically the beginning of history.

BattleMaster posted:

I can see world-shattering wars like the Roman and Mongol conquests and the three World Wars being referenced in the 31st century but I honestly don't see how a minor, localized affair like the ACW would even register to anyone but a huge pre-spaceflight history nerd.

I feel like if you're someone in the 31st century the Star League Civil War would be the civil war you'd be referencing if you needed to draw parallels to another civil war.

Also, both Houses have already had major civil wars of their own, you'd think those would come up considering how easy the comparisons are to make. The Commonwealth had Robert Steiner, a career pilot who just wanted to fly planes and shoot Mariks, depose Margaret Olsen after a bunch of important people came to his front door and begged him to lead them. Seems like a really easy comparison to make if you're looking for historical figures that Lyrans would be familiar with to make Victor look good. They even both have a physical trait, Victor is comically short and Robert had to wear leg braces in full gravity.

In the FS, it's even easier, because this poo poo has basically already happened once, and that's why regents can never take the throne. You accuse her of doing exactly what Laura Davion tried to do: she took the regency, pretended it was an emergency measure and then when the legal sovereign popped back up, just threw her hands in the air and tried to take the throne for herself. But the obvious parallel never registers with a single novel character at any point in the FCCW, because they were too busy thinking about regional conflicts on 19th century Earth.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Time to take this trend to the next level and create the Teapot Dome Scandal-class assault mech.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Jenner
Clint

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Xotl posted:

Time to take this trend to the next level and create the Teapot Dome Scandal-class assault mech.

That's what the dropships and warships are for.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Carbolic posted:

Jenner
Clint

I will say they at least had the restraint to not have characters explain those names themselves. Though I do think the Owens is a good name for a light mech, since there's a bit more substance to his story.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

I will say they at least had the restraint to not have characters explain those names themselves. Though I do think the Owens is a good name for a light mech, since there's a bit more substance to his story.

It isn't named after the sprinter: "The name comes from a Terran drinking song titled Gray Owens, a tune traditionally associated with cavalry units. It is interesting to note that the Draconis Combine, whose culture derives from the Oriental societies of Earth, found inspiration for the name of its new light OmniMech in a Western ditty."

Some googling suggests that the song is actually called Garry Owens.

There's also
Rommel
Patton
Von Luckner
...at least these are military figures, although Von Luckner was a naval commander, who knows why he has a tank named after him.

And of course Terra's Reagan SDS system because that's definitely something people in the future would commemorate.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Carbolic posted:

And of course Terra's Reagan SDS system because that's definitely something people in the future would commemorate.

I'm willing to give them this for two reasons:

1. It was the Terran Hegemony, and their government is on a direct line of descent from the United States

2. SDI actually WORKED in the BattleTech universe. The upgraded project based around Crippen Station saved millions of lives in the Second Soviet Civil War.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
wait what's the Clint based on?

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

The mayor of Carmel, California from 1986-88.

Crooow!
Dec 7, 2005

Abortions for some, tiny American flags for others!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Clint Eastwood

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That guy that went off into a ravine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The designer was really impressed with how he refused to shoot Mad Dog Tannen and built a giant robot that wasn't very good at killing to commemorate him.