Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yvonmukluk posted:

Kind of illustrates how pointless a lot of event tie-ins are, doesn't it?

I have always said of it isn't important enough to be in the main book, it isn't important. Or the main book is poorly written, in which case none of the event will have been worth it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
My favorite "event tie in" was during Inferno, where Spidey saw the New Mutants walking through NYC and they told him they didn't have time to explain.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Beerdeer posted:

My favorite "event tie in" was during Inferno, where Spidey saw the New Mutants walking through NYC and they told him they didn't have time to explain.

That stuff's at least funny, like I don't really need to know about how loving Captain America is thinking very intently about doing something no one gives a poo poo about while the world is ending.

The only good event tie-in so far has been Superman Beyond.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Squirrel Girl War of the Realms arc was how to do a tie in story right.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh hey glad to see Old Man Cable still kicking around the multiverse.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

howe_sam posted:

I didn't read it, but the concept alone has sold me.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

howe_sam posted:

The Immortal Hulk issue of whatever the last Carnage event was (Absolute?) was really good.

I was wondering when they'd update the release list as the one in Empyre #0 Avengers indicated that the event was almost over. I didn't particularly care for the issue but it's Al Ewing so I'll give him a chance.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Beerdeer posted:

Also he was figuring it was some kind of Mysterio plot and not demonically-possessed inanimate objects attacking him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also he was figuring it was some kind of Mysterio plot and not demonically-possessed inanimate objects attacking him.

I love the idea of Bob Harras having a whiteboard with every appearance by N’astirh so he’d never accidentally be in the same place twice.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fear itself had some great tie-ins, which was good because the main book was garbage.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
One time something was happening in Thor with the cask of eternal winter and it had a "tie-in" with Spider-Man that consisted entirely of it snowing in a single panel and Spider-Man saying "that's weird" with an editor's note saying "buy Thor to find out what happened."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They did the same thing with a blackout happening randomly, and them telling you to read Uncanny X-Men.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

One time something was happening in Thor with the cask of eternal winter and it had a "tie-in" with Spider-Man that consisted entirely of it snowing in a single panel and Spider-Man saying "that's weird" with an editor's note saying "buy Thor to find out what happened."

Originally read that issue of Spider-Man when I was maybe sixteen or so.

Finally read that Thor story last year and remembered the editor's note.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Skwirl posted:

This happened in X-Men, New Mutants and Wolverine & Kitty Pryde as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's always at least one great tie in because so many books and creative teams get dragged into these events, but they're still overall just pointless disruption for the precious few issues of a comic many creators get to work on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Right now the only Marvel I'm reading is the X-books, so I'll definitely get the mainline X-Men that ties in, but I haven't figured out if I'm getting the Empyre:X-Men books.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Secret Invasion had decent tie-ins in the two main Avengers books that were flashback issues showing how the replaced heroes got got by the skrulls

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I'm re-reading most of the Secret Wars minis and that's the good stuff right there. Bit different to what's being discussed of course!

I'll give it up for War of the Realms though, I remember the Spider-Man related tie-ins and Giant Men being tight, plus the new Agents of Atlas are cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Hippo posted:

Secret Invasion had decent tie-ins in the two main Avengers books that were flashback issues showing how the replaced heroes got got by the skrulls

The Black Panther tie-in by Jason Aaron was also really great.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Right now the only Marvel I'm reading is the X-books, so I'll definitely get the mainline X-Men that ties in, but I haven't figured out if I'm getting the Empyre:X-Men books.

Empyre X-Men has a rotating writing team of almost all the current X writers. I think it may also tie into the X-Men issues that are part of the event.

Secret Wars is easily the best event that derailed every book. So many good tie ins. Marvel just went nuts, and it paid off.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Open Marriage Night posted:

Secret Wars is easily the best event that derailed every book. So many good tie ins. Marvel just went nuts, and it paid off.

Secret Wars was good for the same reason War of the Realms was good. There was no pretense anything really important would happen in any tie in, so everyone just got to do cool short stories. The Iron Fist secret wars book where Marvel heroes were just reimagined as martial artists was rad.

Stuff like that is why I have akways preferred Marvel to DC. They just get to have more fun, and way more often.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I totally forgot about Iron Fists.

Even the “Last Days” stuff was good. Like, Ms Marvel, Silver Surfer, and Mighty Avengers dealing with the end of the universe

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Two of the Secret Wars side books actually had a pretty major impact on the main story, but no way to know which two before hand.

It's readable without those, but it's two pretty big revelations with no backstory if you don't read the side books.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And didn't the one Old Man Logan mini directly explain how he ended up in the main universe after the event?

Vvvvv Sounds about right, I've lost almost all sense of good/bad since switching over to Marvel Unlimited almost exclusively.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 28, 2020

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And didn't the one Old Man Logan mini directly explain how he ended up in the main universe after the event?

It was also very bad, so I always suggest just starting with the first Old Man Logan volume of the ongoing rather than that mini. But yes, it did.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Is Fantastic Four worth reading at the moment?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It's just kinda there. It's not bad but it's definitely boring.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Infinite crisis had stellar tie ins. Secret Wars is the king of good ties though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Infinite crisis had stellar tie ins. Secret Wars is the king of good ties though.

Secret Wars is 50/50 on tie ins, a lot of them were very blah.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I loved the ending of the one with old Spider-Man with kids being two pages of "Oh yeah, this is a tie in. Outside this world things are crazy! Maybe?" And a huge shrug.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Barry Convex posted:

that's a lot smaller than the original checklist

the original tie-in list (i think), as printed in Empyre: Avengers #0, for comparison's sake

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

what the gently caress marvel

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can't believe you don't want to spend 250 bucks on 50 event issues

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I loved the ending of the one with old Spider-Man with kids being two pages of "Oh yeah, this is a tie in. Outside this world things are crazy! Maybe?" And a huge shrug.

You mean Renew Your Vows? I just felt like Slott didn't even bother with tying it into Battleworld and desperately tried to make it fit at the end/try and give his extremely boring and generic villain an actual motivation.

Looking back that mini was yet another Slott idea that was compelling in theory that he executed poorly and it took other writers to express its full potential.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Can't believe you don't want to spend 250 bucks on 50 event issues

I'm old enough to remember thinking Secret Wars 2's tie-ins were 'a bit much.' Although even then most of them didn't have multiple tie-in issues and I think the biggest things that happened were the Beyonder turning Heroes for Hire's building to gold and killing the New Mutants.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

And somewhere along the way Spider-Man taught the Beyonder, an omnipotent and omniscient being, how to poo poo in the toilet.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Happy Hippo posted:

And somewhere along the way Spider-Man taught the Beyonder, an omnipotent and omniscient being, how to poo poo in the toilet.

The Beyonder is extremely delighted by food processors at least!

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
"Thors" was one of best comics printed in the last ten years, at least. I will die on this hill.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It was also very bad, so I always suggest just starting with the first Old Man Logan volume of the ongoing rather than that mini. But yes, it did.

It'd be a lot less bad if it didn't have the incest hulks in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It'd be a lot less bad if it didn't have the incest hulks in it.

Mark Millar gonna Mark Miller.

Also, god are the people in charge of Marvel Unlimited dumb. Last week the released the first four issues of Cates' new Thor series, 3 of which would be ahead of schedule, and this week it's the December 26th books, of which there are 4 total. And no back catalog stuff. Release the extra Thor stuff on the light week dumbasses. I'd put even money there just isn't going to be new comics for the month and a half shipping stopped.