Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah, Kane's Wrath had a GDI subfaction that was still active in the yellow and red zones where walkers and hover units were still the name of the game, so they had upgraded Titans and Wolverines and poo poo. It was a neat bit of world building.

Also the Titan is cooler than the Predator BUT the Mammoth Mk III owns bones so I'd say it was an even trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I still have a fascination with that late 90s/early 2000s trend of “colored lighting” and still absolutely love the look of TS. Here’s a pro tip regarding the older games and 16x9 resolution: play them in 1280x720. The units aren’t super tiny and you still get the benefit of the wider screen.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Bloodly posted:

It's Spice but more harmful. They wanted to shift the setting but still wanted the single resource to fight over.
The dichotomy of super-valuable resource that everyone wants but also massively destructive all-consuming space plague has always seemed a bit weird.

YoursTruly posted:

As a kid, I always assumed Tiberium was a metaphor for fossil fuels and climate change, but I don't know if I've ever actually seen that officially stated anywhere?
Global warming was not given nearly as much attention in the 90's, it was generally seen as a much more distant, theoretical problem. There was a decent amount of environmentalism in pop culture at the time, but it was much more focused on habitat destruction, pollution, and resource depletion.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

When we were 10 my best friend and I played through Red Alert together on his pc. We each took a turn playing a mission and collaborated on strategies and base planning. The Soviet campaign was our favourite because we'd build 10 mammoth tanks and a dozen V2s to methodically wipe out Allied bases. The Allied campaign was a slog because unlike the Tesla coils, turret and pillbox defences don't outrange the enemy.

This weekend I finished the Allied campaign by just spamming out medium tanks en masse and use those to attack instead of waiting for Soviet troops to come to me. What a difference 25 years make.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
C&C3 was a return to the series after a long hiatus (with the interim success of Generals). The developers were quite open that they had a mandate from EA to return to Tiberian Dawn-era designs and unit concepts for "contemporary relevancy" since there are quite a lot of players who refuse to touch anything "too sci-fi". But they were still a total bunch of fanboys so we got fun things like the Nod glider ninjas, GDI Zone Troopers with jump jets, and the gleeful high-budget missions and set pieces. C&C3 still has the best air units of the series, on all sides.

There was a backlash against this from sections of the fanbase so Kane's Wrath was perhaps a sop to it, with the Steel Talons subfaction using TibSun walkers, Nod getting cyborgs back, Nod infantry being redesigned from howling mobs in hoodies back to TibSun dudes in black helmets with glowing orange stripes, and so on.

I was quite annoyed by some of what KW did to the timeline, especially just handwaving Slaavik's death offscreen and what the final missions implied about Nod generally, but I accept the former may have had more to do with the actor's availability. The latter was just annoying, and then of course C&C4 came along and :argh:

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 22, 2020

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I remember at the time being surprised about how respectfully EA had treated C&C when releasing 3, given it wasn't developed by Westwood. Then C&C 4 slapped me in the face for daring to be pleasantly surprised.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Full patchnotes are out.
https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/hdv5tc/patch_launching_today_and_patch_notes/

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

The “Deploy” hotkey will now apply to all items with the Deploy Cursor, including un-garrisoning troop carriers, laying mines, activating the MAD Tank, and triggering the Chrono TankThe “Deploy” hotkey will now apply to all items with the Deploy Cursor, including un-garrisoning troop carriers, laying mines, activating the MAD Tank, and triggering the Chrono Tank

I wonder if you can mass teleport chrono tanks now.

quote:

Reduced the Hard Difficulty balance in Tiberian Dawn. We’ve effectively split the difference between Normal Mode and the launch version Hard mode. If you happened to already beat missions on Hard mode (Or somehow received the Achievement), then wear that with a badge of honor.

Let's see how this goes

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Also apparently you can’t target or shoot down the Nod cargo plane anymore (I don’t think I ever managed to pull that off anyways)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's an outstanding list of changes

Good work

Wow way to ruin The Original Experience:

quote:

Made an adjustment to GDI Mission 8 where Civilians will now avoid Tiberium tiles, and the trigger-happy Civilian has been removed from the map entirely

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 22, 2020

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
What the gently caress, I don't see a patch fix for the gap Generator invulnerability issue at all in this patch. It's been reported for weeks now and I essentially stopped playing Soviet missions because the bug happens almost every time a gap generator is deployed for me.

As reported by reddit user in the patch thread:
"-Later Soviet campaign missions (specially Soviet Mission 14 on Hard) have this weird problem where if Aa enemy Gap generator gets close to your base, you end up with all (both friendly and enemy) units becoming invulnerable, this has been reported numerous times on Steam forums. This breaks the game and renders the mission unfinishable."

This happened to me multiple times in soviet 12 and 14, the only way to avoid it is save to a different slot every 5 mins.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

quote:

Made an adjustment to GDI Mission 8 where Civilians will now avoid Tiberium tiles, and the trigger-happy Civilian has been removed from the map entirely

Well it only took 25 years but that mission is finally reasonable.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also not fixed apparently:

"-Soviet Aftermath Mission "Brothers in Arms" is unbeatable on Hard difficulty. The mission relies on PRECISE unit speed of the soviet spy unit to escape a scripted sequence, the original mission forced Normal difficulty regardless of chosen difficulty to ensure things wouldnt get broken, this is not the case on the Remaster. This causes the player's spy to always die when attempting to flee the chasing enemy attack dogs."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Trigger Happy Civilian was the hero of C&C

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Trigger Happy Civilian was a cop.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

quote:

Fixed an issue where Unit Queueing was getting disabled after loading a saved game

This was insanely frustrating and I'm glad it's fixed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

Trigger Happy Civilian was a cop.

I retract my statement of support

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Sheen Sheen posted:

Also apparently you can’t target or shoot down the Nod cargo plane anymore (I don’t think I ever managed to pull that off anyways)

You used to be able to yes, it was great on a lot of maps once you got rocket soldiers/mlrs with western NOD bases

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

The new harvesting priority seems to leave a few spots behind when moving on to another field. Which is rather annoying when actually want to clear that spot so you can build on it.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
drat, I'm too young to have enjoyed the OG C&C games. Started with Red Alert 2 and C&C Renegade.
That being said, if they remaster RA2 I'm preordering the collector's edition of that poo poo.
I'm dying to see a HD sprite of this:

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

The update also fixed the crash where you played with more than 5 AI in skirmish on a custom map you made in the editor. Great!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sample_text posted:

I'm dying to see a HD sprite of this:

Given that they were voxel models and not sprites, I suspect the remaster will use polygonal models. Hopefully they'll share the same lighting algorithm as the originals, to better stick to the look.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Come chill in this discord in case forums vanish https://discord.gg/nNGeQnb

Narmer
Dec 11, 2011
So other than the secret dinosaur/ant missions and the production videos, are there any other secrets or unlockable content in this?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Narmer posted:

So other than the secret dinosaur/ant missions and the production videos, are there any other secrets or unlockable content in this?

I think that's it

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah, C&C doesn't really have much else in the way of unlockable stuff. Once you beat the dino/ant missions and unlock all the bonus gallery stuff that's it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is there a way, maybe using rules.ini, to remove the cap on build time bonus for having multiple structures? I remember from the original game that one of the add-ons capped this at one reduction only, after that you were just creating spawn points.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is there a way, maybe using rules.ini, to remove the cap on build time bonus for having multiple structures? I remember from the original game that one of the add-ons capped this at one reduction only, after that you were just creating spawn points.

You'd need to edit the .dll

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGAxSf31U6U

The ending is perfect

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So I got to the last mission of the Allied Campaign in RA. (BTW I'm so grateful that I don't have to do all the add on missions in hard to get the Achievement. I'll be doing all of them on Casual once I have the Soviet campaign finished on Hard.)

Man with the changes from Hard mode the start of the mission is next to impossible.
Basically you spawn in Tanya and 2 Thieves. You are surrounded by explosive barrels.

Almost immediately a single soviet trooper runs up, shoots the barrels and you die.

Under the old difficulty you could shoot the trooper before he got to the barrels. But with the changes to units on hard, you can reach him to shoot him before he gets where he needs to go to shoot the barrels.

The only way to survive is to put the game on slowest speed and immediately run to the south (counter intuitively towards another grouping of explosive barrels) because those barrels don't explode when the northern ones blow up. Took me ten tries to figure out that you couldn't shoot the trooper before he gets to you.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Question IRL posted:

So I got to the last mission of the Allied Campaign in RA. (BTW I'm so grateful that I don't have to do all the add on missions in hard to get the Achievement. I'll be doing all of them on Casual once I have the Soviet campaign finished on Hard.)

Man with the changes from Hard mode the start of the mission is next to impossible.
Basically you spawn in Tanya and 2 Thieves. You are surrounded by explosive barrels.

Almost immediately a single soviet trooper runs up, shoots the barrels and you die.

Under the old difficulty you could shoot the trooper before he got to the barrels. But with the changes to units on hard, you can reach him to shoot him before he gets where he needs to go to shoot the barrels.

The only way to survive is to put the game on slowest speed and immediately run to the south (counter intuitively towards another grouping of explosive barrels) because those barrels don't explode when the northern ones blow up. Took me ten tries to figure out that you couldn't shoot the trooper before he gets to you.

I thought RA Remastered hard mode was unchanged from the original game? Anyway, it was still annoying on normal, I also had to turn the speed down and immediately gun him down. Do enemies move faster on hard or something?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

What mordja said is right: RA hard mode was unchanged from the original. It wasn't a new addition like for Tib Dawn. Running south was always the "correct" strategy.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Spookydonut posted:

You'd need to edit the .dll

Ah well. Not a problem, I'm still thrilled to be playing this again

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I loving hated the start of that mission so much. I had forgotten C&C and RA were still at the tail end of when games would just go "you want to play me and have fun? gently caress you."

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Soundtrack is up on spotify

https://twitter.com/OfficialCnC/status/1276546157397725184

CNC: https://open.spotify.com/album/6diK51gAlxp4pbpmoe8Ahc?si=1kfYlMuyQq2RM4Ac7Wg6YQ

Red Alert: https://open.spotify.com/album/0PVfiTe7jFoMIcKr4yvkEk?si=02goBOWgRDSltdrqVKWCOA

Tiberian Sons: https://t.co/xzX9Hjdc0v?amp=1

drunkill fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 26, 2020

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Grand Fromage posted:

I loving hated the start of that mission so much. I had forgotten C&C and RA were still at the tail end of when games would just go "you want to play me and have fun? gently caress you."

The worst thing in RA is the dreaded just-barely-offscreen attack dog.

It's so easy to accidentally aggro them, then you've got about a 0.5 second window to click the tiny pixel dog before it gets its leaping attack invincibility frames and murders Tanya. :dogcited::gibs:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Am I wrong or is TD stealth tank just kinda not worth it, at least against the AI. It doesn't do the sheer burst damage that TS/C&C3's does and seems to get detected almost at random. I feel better served just reverting to light and flame tanks.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

The tragic fact of C&C and honestly most RTS games is that the exotic toys are rarely as good as the cheaply mass produced mundane tank.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Mordja posted:

Am I wrong or is TD stealth tank just kinda not worth it, at least against the AI. It doesn't do the sheer burst damage that TS/C&C3's does and seems to get detected almost at random. I feel better served just reverting to light and flame tanks.

You are not wrong. Their attack is decent but their health is too low to be useful in any but the hugest of multiplayer rushes.

There is a logic to their detection - it's simply being within one square of an infantry unit. I don't know what the detection range of base defences is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I know about infantry, but this sometimes happened when I drove by some medium tanks too.