Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Also the movement in DUSK feels a little better than AE, or a lot better if you like bunnyhopping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Dusk is the best FPS of the decade.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

Also the movement in DUSK feels a little better than AE, or a lot better if you like bunnyhopping

bunnyhopping and also flips

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

StrixNebulosa posted:

Base game: easily a billion hours, you don't need the DLC

Hidden Ones: post-game content
Curse of the Pharaohs - actually good post-game content
[x] Packs - Cosmetics - reskin your horse or your weapons - and the Deluxe Pack has one (1) sidequest featuring ocean combat.

Cool thanks, that's what I thought. Maybe I'll grab Pharoahs later on if I actually do play through the whole thing. Love your username, btw. One of my most favorite experiences was finding one in the wild. Very cool bird.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Steampunk_Spoon posted:

Is borderlands 3 worth a look if I enjoyed the first one, but hated the second one due to the absolutely atrocious balancing, level scaling and loot drop chances? I really like the setting and characters, and even the humor hits more often than it misses for me but if this is another game where they advertise a million cool guns only to refuse to actually give me any over the course of a 35 hour play through i'll probably pass.

Holy moly yes. I have nearly 100 hours in the main game and add-on campaigns. You will be swimming in unique guns throughout.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Ok cool so you can freely replay levels in any order once you beat them with a more upgraded character then?

You can only be upgraded so much for certain points of the game no matter what. The big missions can’t be replayed without starting a new game. Outside the mission areas is just an open world where you find collectibles and do some minor combat. The tombs, which are separate from the missions, are where you’ll find the puzzles. That’s true for all 3 games, though there’s less combat in Shadow.

I think Rise the best of the 3 myself, followed by 2013 and then Shadow. Shadow was still fun and has the best tombs but it didn’t have nearly as much combat and they didn’t really replace it with anything besides even more collectibles.

If you like quasi-survival games then the DLC for Rise is actually surprisingly good. It’s not something like Subnautica or The Forest or whatever but more like a quick-play high-score version of survival games. You get dropped off in a non-descript forest, pick a direction to go in, and you just collect as much treasure as you can from random caves and such while running into progressively harder enemies from the main game. There’s some meters to monitor and you have to craft upgrades but for the most part as long as you keep moving forward - the world is just generated randomly as you move in a direction- and don’t gently caress up the combat too badly you’ll generally run into what you need. Once you think you can’t go any further without dying you find an extraction point and if you get out you get a score. Then you go in again and try to beat that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

okay everyone stop posting for 3 seconds so I can write this out. Playing too much of They Are Billions and Command n' Conquer has fired up the old nostalga buttons and so you all get to hear about :

Strix's Affectionate History with the RTS Genre

My first videogames when I was a kid were shareware CDs that had 100000 games on them and they were all bad, and then emulated stuff - NES and SNES and gameboy being the winners of the day, so I was a bootleg pokemon kid and such. My parents never got me a console until my young brother cut a deal when he was like 13 and got a PS2, but that's years down the line for me. No. The first "proper" PC gaming I ever did was thanks to a family trip from Kansas to somewhere else in Kansas to hang with some cousins and that's where I was roped into playing Warcraft 2 LAN multiplayer for the first time. I talked about the experience the ENTIRE time on the roadtrip back, especially because they gave me a copied disc of the game. That didn't work. I was DEVASTATED.

So my dad, the hero, bought me the Warcraft 1+2 Battlechest.

[Real quick intermission: The Blizzard of today is a fucker and I recommend not giving them any money. Free Hong Kong.]

I quickly devoured well, basically everything about those two games, but mostly Warcraft 2. The controls were relatively approachable (especially compared to Warcraft 1), the maps were fun and had a lot of variety between 'you have x units now solve the map' and 'build x, y and z to win' and full out 'build a base and conquer the AI' stuff. Great stuff! Also hard stuff, but that's what cheat codes were for!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGl4slGxY8U

This soundtrack is burned into my brain and is a quick way to make me happy. It's surprisingly catchy and enthusiastic for what could have been a really droll set of tracks. You feel the snap of the sails as the warships take off, and you're ready to fight the horde, and NEW TROLL HERE and all that jazz. Plus the mission briefings!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpEXhNjEeHY

Listen to that man, you WILL want to do your best for him. He sounds like he's in uniform and at that table and you NEED to get out there and stop the orcs.

My brother and I made some basic maps with the editor, fought each other a couple times, and read both manuals back to back because there was some really compelling fiction in those dang things.

So - naturally this leads to Starcraft, which I also devoured in a similar way - and then later to other PC games. I never got into more RTSes in this era outside of Rage of Mages (which deserves its own post, it's so bizarre) except.... except. One Christmas, I was gifted a bunch of things like Black and White and Rage of Mages and... Command and Conquer Red Alert 2.

I'd seen Command and Conquer around in places like Walmart and Target, and wondered what was up - as this was an era where you could see and buy video games while your mom was shopping for groceries and stuff - but this was also when I was still using the internet for Neopets and "pokemon stories" (this became fanfic once i learned the word) and stuff. So I never knew what was up. So I was completely unprepared for - yes -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnd0qg4I_MM

This.

It blew my little mind. And the gameplay too! It was different from the Blizzard stuff - weird controls, modern army men, tanks, and absolutely banging music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqlb0p11RcE

I remember deciding early on that the Allies were lame and I was all for the Russians because holy poo poo, Yuri was awesome in his cheesy way. I beat it first, and then the Allied campaign, and it's been so many years that I don't have any strong memories of specific missions, just this general love for the game. So I got another set of C&C games from my parents and it was... Renegade. Yep. That didn't go over nearly as well. (It was a bad FPS for those who don't know it) I kind of decided that the C&C franchise was only RA2 and that was it and that's how it was until yesterday when the gift train hooked me up with the remastered version.

Surprise! I'm going to talk about a game that's on sale RIGHT NOW. I mean there's no discount, but it's twenty bucks.

I'm only three levels in, so obviously this can't be a true review, but... with the controls fixed up, it's the coffee-break RTS I never knew I needed. Maps are smaller so I can knock 'em out, the music is amazing, and the cutscenes are, well...

:allears:

Aaaanyways, one last detour before I end this post. Warcraft 3 was the first game I ever had pre-release hype for and I begged for it SO hard and got it from Walmart and it was king RTS for me for the longest time. I even wrote (bad) fanfic about Grom Hellscream. My brother and I played so many matches against each other and it makes me really happy to think about it, and how betrayed I felt by Arthas and the awful mission where you raze an innocent city.

Sadly it was never remade and that company died a horrible death right before releasing world of warcraft. What could've been....

ahem.

RTSes as a genre now are in a weird spot for me because I'm not good at them. I mean I'm DECENT but I tend to have problems in simple me vs AI skirmish maps, even on easy, and I think? that's changed? given that it's been a long time since I really put time into them, but we'll see. But the real time tactical stuff makes me so happy, and their super elaborate storylines too. So it's been really neat exploring twists like AI War 2 and They Are Billions and such - they take a formula I grew up with and twist it. And going back to C&C is right back to the basics.... but with interesting stuff like how I HAVE to micro my troops as they're kind of dumb and will die to Nod if I don't lead them around properly.

As for "traditional" RTSes now I don't know if that genre exists? We get weird little games here and there (Bad North, Grey Goo come to mind) but nothing on the scale that used to exist. Which is fine, as I'm honestly not sure how the genre can evolve without twisting it ala They Are Billions. Starcraft 1 competitive play shows kind of the peak of the genre as a multiplayer thing, and when you go single-player you kind of have to go more RPG or puzzle - see Tooth n' Tail or, well, C&C.

Still, I'll be happy to be proven wrong someday. And I will always have a fond spot in my heart for this being one cornerstone of my childhood gaming experience.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Strix did you ever play Red Alert 3? It was honestly a surprisingly good sequel, the gimmick of every unit having an alt mode is really fun and the new faction kicks rear end.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Strix did you ever play Red Alert 3? It was honestly a surprisingly good sequel, the gimmick of every unit having an alt mode is really fun and the new faction kicks rear end.

I never did! I thought I heard it was bad? I THINK I own it on Origin let me boot that up and see. I'll be happy to visit it and see Tim Curry's SPACE in context.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Cool thanks, that's what I thought. Maybe I'll grab Pharoahs later on if I actually do play through the whole thing. Love your username, btw. One of my most favorite experiences was finding one in the wild. Very cool bird.

Also thank you!! They are my favorite bird, and when I was thinking of a username to use on SA (back in 2012) I didn't want to use my livejournal/fanfic one because I was afraid of the cool guys on SA finding out that I wrote fanfic. Now I don't care but I like being Strix anyways.

e: update I only own the expansion pack? What? Guess Red Alert 3 goes on the wishlist, I'll try to pick it up before the sale ends, thanks!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 26, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh Strix I'm obviously not gonna use it for anything SA related but I stole your avatar in case this all goes tits up because :allears:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I’m not a hardcore multiplayer RTS guy but I played a ton of RA2 as a lad and I had a good bit of fun with the RA3 campaign. Ultimately the Red Alert franchise is, to me, a toolbox for bringing the imaginary games I played with action figures to life. It does that well.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I sort of forgot to play The Surge, because I got busy with other stuff, but I did like the concept. Now that Surge 2 is as cheap as it's ever been I'm wondering if I should buy that and get started on what people say is the better game, or if I should try getting through the first one again.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Orv posted:

Oh Strix I'm obviously not gonna use it for anything SA related but I stole your avatar in case this all goes tits up because :allears:

You may have the avatar for whatever you want as long as you promise to never ever cheat in Baba Is You

Orv
May 4, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

I sort of forgot to play The Surge, because I got busy with other stuff, but I did like the concept. Now that Surge 2 is as cheap as it's ever been I'm wondering if I should buy that and get started on what people say is the better game, or if I should try getting through the first one again.

Remember (you shouldn't) a few days ago when I called Code Vein a game made by Dark Souls fans but not game designers? That was Lords of the Fallen and The Surge 1.

Surge 2 gets it right, has what I would call the second best Souls-like combat after Nioh and is a ton of fun. Story's a bit shite.

StrixNebulosa posted:

You may have the avatar for whatever you want as long as you promise to never ever cheat in Baba Is You

I would never! Because I don't find puzzle games particularly edifying.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

I never did! I thought I heard it was bad? I THINK I own it on Origin let me boot that up and see. I'll be happy to visit it and see Tim Curry's SPACE in context.

Also thank you!! They are my favorite bird, and when I was thinking of a username to use on SA (back in 2012) I didn't want to use my livejournal/fanfic one because I was afraid of the cool guys on SA finding out that I wrote fanfic. Now I don't care but I like being Strix anyways.

CnC 4 was bad. CnC 3 and RA3 were both A++ very cheesy hilarious games that really modernized the formula in some smart ways.

Be warned, CnC 3 base has a very difficult mission. They changed how the construction system worked ( due to multiplayer ), which kinda broke one of the missions. Originally you had multiple cranes so you could hotbuild a base quickly because they'd be sending tons of dudes at you ASAP. But with the changes you only get one crane, so it's extremely extremely tight to complete. Doable, but very difficult.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
RA2 might just be the best RTS ever made. Tough competition between it and COH.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Orv posted:

Remember (you shouldn't) a few days ago when I called Code Vein a game made by Dark Souls fans but not game designers? That was Lords of the Fallen and The Surge 1.

Surge 2 gets it right, has what I would call the second best Souls-like combat after Nioh and is a ton of fun. Story's a bit shite.

Ah who cares about story. I am enjoying Code Vein though, but I'm noticing the flaws.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:mad:

thread working as intended, wishlist getting bigger instead of smaller

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:eyepop:

holy poo poo Nals, thank you so much

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Couple of other questions: Is My Time at Portia kind of simplistic? I like to get down into the weeds and systems and greebles, but also a lot of people seem to love it.

I've had EDF5 on my wishlist forever, because even though it's the best game ever according to literally everyone, it looks janky and off putting. What am I missing? I'd love to just go for it finally.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

I've had EDF5 on my wishlist forever, because even though it's the best game ever according to literally everyone, it looks janky and off putting. What am I missing? I'd love to just go for it finally.

I can't comment on 5 but I played a lot of 4.1 and basically it's a hoard shooter. You have ridiculous weapons and the aliens/bugs have infinite bugs/aliens/robots that you need to mow down. The plots are earnest and hilarious and it's all about trying different classes and weapons to mow down 59385038049584444 ants. Good times.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

StrixNebulosa posted:

RTS good poo poo

I was a WC2 junkie too. I've always sucked horribly at them multiplayer. However the campaign I loved more than anything ever was the bonus content on Frozen Throne. The exploration and quests were almost like WoW, but the controls were all RTS and the units were all like little RPG heroes. I've never played anything quite like it and I'm curious if such a game even exists.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Couple of other questions: Is My Time at Portia kind of simplistic? I like to get down into the weeds and systems and greebles, but also a lot of people seem to love it.

EDF5 is an excellent wave shooter that puts you in command of absurdly powerful weapons against what would otherwise be insanely overwhelming odds. It is janky but not in a way that frequently impacts the gameplay, more along the lines of oldschool kaiju movies, rough graphics and goofy writing and voiceacting.

It is several times more fun with a friend, to the point where I don’t know that I’d recommend it as a single player experience.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 26, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I can't comment on 5 but I played a lot of 4.1 and basically it's a hoard shooter. You have ridiculous weapons and the aliens/bugs have infinite bugs/aliens/robots that you need to mow down. The plots are earnest and hilarious and it's all about trying different classes and weapons to mow down 59385038049584444 ants. Good times.

EDF5 is basically EDF4.1 with quality of life improvements that pretty much make 4.1 obsolete. Most notably, gaining armor points passively upgrades all the other classes at a slower rate, and the loot drop system is improved, including duplicate drops upgrading the item in question.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sloppy posted:

I was a WC2 junkie too. I've always sucked horribly at them multiplayer. However the campaign I loved more than anything ever was the bonus content on Frozen Throne. The exploration and quests were almost like WoW, but the controls were all RTS and the units were all like little RPG heroes. I've never played anything quite like it and I'm curious if such a game even exists.

Oh I remember that, you were like, Thrall's son or something(??) and you had a little interconnected map to explore and level up in. Absolutely weird design that I think was an early prototype for World of Warcraft.

As for a game like that mode, you want Kenshi. It controls like an RTS, everyone levels up, and you explore a neat map that you can even build a base on.

Anonymous Robot posted:

EDF5 is basically EDF4.1 with quality of life improvements that pretty much make 4.1 obsolete. Most notably, gaining armor points passively upgrades all the other classes at a slower rate, and the loot drop system is improved, including duplicate drops upgrading the item in question.

Mmmmmmmmm okay fine I'll bump that up the wishlist too, I wasn't done with 4.1 yet. THAT SAID I've been happy playing EDF as a single-player experience, as it's still a ton of fun and the AI teammates are dumb as bricks in good ways.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Sloppy posted:

Spellforce!

Not really, but it's the closet thing I've ever found to WC3. Spellforce 3 mainly, it's a weird psuedo Dragon Age/WC3 hybrid done on a budget. The older games are more RTS games with light RPG mechanics, similar in some ways, but different in others. Lot of islands with an enemy force you needed to overcome through RTS army battles, but also you had heroes that could level up to buff your army/fight armies/fight heroes/randomly quest/heal/etc etc. And then lots of random quests on each map to go do. And then big cities/hero only zones where you wander around and chat with people and pick up quests before going back to the RTS sections.

Black Griffon posted:

No more simplistic then something like a Stardew. It just does building rather then farming.

StrixNebulosa posted:

:eyepop:

holy poo poo Nals, thank you so much

totes. It's my favorite franchise and you reminded me why. Figured you should keep being able to go down the nostalgia road!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Anonymous Robot posted:

I have about 150 hours in EDF5, and sometimes I wonder.. are they upgrades for the item, or did they nerf the items initial drop stats and you have to grind to get it back to where it would have been normally? Something tells me it's the latter, and it's very annoying.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

I tried to like it since I wanted a game like that but it's pretty bad. It feels unfinished, the NPCs have zero charm, and going anywhere takes ages.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Honestly looking at my wishlist now the "biggest" top-ticket items on it now are

- EDF 5
- Monster Hunter World Iceborne expansion
- Mount n' Blade 2 Bannerlord

And all three are such massive games that I keep waffling on them. Getting back into MHW would be a chore as I relearn my great sword skills, Bannerlord is huge and still being made, and so on. I honestly don't know if I'll dip for them this sale - I can, thank you past me for saving money - but those are the big question marks I'll kick around as I play my haul so far.

So now it's your turn to post: what are the biggest questionmarks in y'alls wishlists?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Shipbreaker was literally the first game I intended to buy this year and my only other purchase so far was last year's Call of Duty. It's been weird.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Honestly looking at my wishlist now the "biggest" top-ticket items on it now are

- EDF 5
- Monster Hunter World Iceborne expansion
- Mount n' Blade 2 Bannerlord

And all three are such massive games that I keep waffling on them. Getting back into MHW would be a chore as I relearn my great sword skills, Bannerlord is huge and still being made, and so on. I honestly don't know if I'll dip for them this sale - I can, thank you past me for saving money - but those are the big question marks I'll kick around as I play my haul so far.

So now it's your turn to post: what are the biggest questionmarks in y'alls wishlists?

Devil May Cry 5: I enjoy character action games in concept, but I find that I am super fickle about them in reality. I didn’t really like DMC4 but I did like the western made one that everyone hated.

Disco Elysium: Story-driven games generally aren’t my thing but I can sometimes get into an excellent RPG. It’s hit and miss though.

Death Stranding: Honestly this seems like the type of game I will completely loathe but something about it just calls to me.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Rookersh posted:

CnC 4 was bad. CnC 3 and RA3 were both A++ very cheesy hilarious games that really modernized the formula in some smart ways.

Be warned, CnC 3 base has a very difficult mission. They changed how the construction system worked ( due to multiplayer ), which kinda broke one of the missions. Originally you had multiple cranes so you could hotbuild a base quickly because they'd be sending tons of dudes at you ASAP. But with the changes you only get one crane, so it's extremely extremely tight to complete. Doable, but very difficult.

Just to clarify, they didn't change the content of any of the missions, just balance changes. The problem is that cranes can no longer build defensive structures, including cranes. They also like doubled the cost of a refinery and neutered the Mammoth. If you play C&C3 single player, there are de-update mods that keep the bug fixes but make it play as it originally did.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Devil May Cry 5: I enjoy character action games in concept, but I find that I am super fickle about them in reality. I didn’t really like DMC4 but I did like the western made one that everyone hated.

Disco Elysium: Story-driven games generally aren’t my thing but I can sometimes get into an excellent RPG. It’s hit and miss though.

Death Stranding: Honestly this seems like the type of game I will completely loathe but something about it just calls to me.

Disco Elysium and I haven't clicked yet despite the excellent writing. Something about the format makes it hard for me to boot it up I guess.

Death Stranding: I'm going to probably preorder this stupid thing, but closer to the due date so I can refund if my poor laptop can't handle it. It SHOULD be able to but I don't trust games enough to drop 60$ sight unseen on something that might not work. (Compare/contrast Othercide and Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town)

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Can you still do LAN matches on C&C 3?

Also strix thanks, I had a roughly similar history with RTSes, I'll write my big rear end history of it myself if anybody cares to read it

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 26, 2020

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Black Griffon posted:

I loved it, but it's not extremely deep. If you want Factorio Moon, it's the best we've got, but it's basically a much jankier Stardew Valley with the importance of crafting and farming flipped.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

anilEhilated posted:

Amid Evil > Dusk >>>>>> Ion Fury.

Devs aside, Ion Fury is the perfect reminder that most of the Build shooters weren't very good in the first place.

Couldn't agree more.

Amid Evil is basically the perfect FPS.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone played Super Arcade Racing? Visually, that's checking some nostalgia boxes for me where RC ProAm, Micro Machines, and Rock n Roll Racing reside, but it seems like the kind of game that would work, or not, depending on how good the controls feel.

Anybody have hands-on experience with this one?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay oh god I was going to make a kind of effort-thought post about how interesting and different C&C is as an RTS and go into my history with the genre as it has a special spot in my heart but as I was thinking about writing it up I wound up watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnd0qg4I_MM

And honestly Red Alert 2's intro blows basically every video game intro out of the water in terms of getting you excited and ready to learn more (who is that bald man) and fight (they drove over the texas sign!!!) and it has the Hell March, which is still one of the best video game tracks imho, and just.... they got everything right with Red Alert 2, except for the control scheme, and I need it to be remastered.

The C&C Remaster is a good remaster, but the old RTS gameplay got old for me fast and I really really wish they had added an attack-move.

Red Alert 2 is so good and I hate that if they do get around to remastering it (and they should) it will be years and years before we get there, I don't doubt they will remaster everything in order of release, but I'd rather them get around to the best ones ASAP. I don't want something happening with like Nintendo making their 3ds 3D Classics, and instead of doing the good NES games in 3D like Mario 3, games people would actually want, they do.... Urban Champion?? What in the gently caress is that? Who would buy it? No wonder they stopped making those, I don't want the same to happen to these remasters if sales of future ones dont work out as well and we never get around to Red Alert 2.

StrixNebulosa posted:

okay everyone stop posting for 3 seconds so I can write this out. Playing too much of They Are Billions and Command n' Conquer has fired up the old nostalga buttons and so you all get to hear about :
Strix's Affectionate History with the RTS Genre

I would play every RTS I could get my hands on ever since Warcraft 2, what I love is the base building, building up a big army, and then crushing my enemies with one huge army. I love the spectacle! But the game that now scratches that itch that RTSs used to is Total War Warhammer 2. It's not the same but it is similar, and it has spectacle aplenty. First Total War game that really clicked with me. It feels good to build up your towns, build up your armies, hit that End Turn button, and the battles! I love seeing armies just mash into one another, guys getting thrown around by artillery, cavalry knocking infantry out of the way, and it is incredible satisfying winning a battle where you're outmatched/outnumbered with clever tactics, as things like flanking really matters. Took a long time to learn how to play but super satisfying.

Kinda reminds me somewhat of the old Battle for Middle Earth RTSs, having units get all knocked about. Now I would love a remaster of those....

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
ok I'll bite Strix:

Streets of Rogue: seems like a neat roguelite mixed with a kinda open-y sim? Honestly as much as I love roguelites I might have skipped it because the graphics look like generic roguelite #232 at this point in time, but the review score is crazy high

Iconoclasts: I'm mostly kinda just neutral on metriodvanias, but the brilliance of Hollow Knight has left me jonesing for more while waiting for Silksong. I get the feeling I'll just compare other metriodvanias unfairly to the masterpiece that is HK though.

Disco Elysium: By all accounts this is awesome, and I believe it. I'm sure I'd find it to be an amazing game myself. But I feel from what I've seen that playing it will probably make me depressed, and god I really don't need that right now

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order: I've dumped more hours into Dark Souls 3 than any other game this past year, but I dunno if I want to do a modern star wars game with DS-lite mechanics and no multiplayer option, at least not for $30 right now

Sea of Thieves: I'm not even sure how this got on my wishlist tbh. I like the idea of sailing around though, seems like some refreshing fun. But from what I've read previously this is only fun if you got people to play with? Which I don't really. Also its biggest negative is that it isn't on sale

but I wanna go back to the really important chat:

StrixNebulosa posted:

If they don't keep remastering things until they get to Red Alert 2 I will riot

:hmmyes:

Are they likely to do it anytime soon? I grew up with the C&C's as my core RTS experience so at some point I'm definitely grabbing the Remaster, but Red Alert 2 is one of my favorite games ever and honestly peak RTS for me. Like I've tried and I mostly just bounce off every other more modern RTS after a little while, even if I think they are good (although I can be really bad at them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PlushCow posted:

The C&C Remaster is a good remaster, but the old RTS gameplay got old for me fast and I really really wish they had added an attack-move.

Head to the Workshop and download the CFE patch for quality of life stuff like attack-move, better walls, and actual pathfinding (although I love the bumbling of the original pathfinding where you try to figure out why the hell one of your tanks is now halfway across the map in the other direction because it hit a cliff wrong).