Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dawgstar posted:

Dare I ask?

a quick Google tells me that it's a scenario for Eclipse Phase about fighting a criminal syndicate that's turning people into slaves that also takes inspiration from Vodun and Afro-Caribbean influences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

gradenko_2000 posted:

a quick Google tells me that it's a scenario for Eclipse Phase about fighting a criminal syndicate that's turning people into slaves that also takes inspiration from Vodun and Afro-Caribbean influences.

It's really loving bad.

Grinding cortical stacks for medicine and eating fresh space rats bad.

:allbuttons:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

By which we mean it includes an internal sidebar saying that yeah it is horrifically offensive and bears no relation to actual Vodun or other Afro-Caribbean religions

But not offensive enough to, you know, not have written it, I guess

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

How the hell EP got this 'woke' rep is beyond me.

It is the worst sort of white anarchism, from the whitest loving anarchist tendency there is*.

* I explicitly count out ancaps and whatever the racists call themselves in this grouping, as they ain't anarchists.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Remember when one of the EP devs went on a huge Terfy gender essentialism rant and everyone was just kind of "You made a game where anyone can literally put their brain in an opposite gendered body and the society is 100 okay with it???"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Remember when one of the EP devs went on a huge Terfy gender essentialism rant and everyone was just kind of "You made a game where anyone can literally put their brain in an opposite gendered body and the society is 100 okay with it???"

Pretty sure that was Richard Morgan, the Altered Carbon author, and not anyone involved in EP.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 22, 2020

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

StratGoatCom posted:

How the hell EP got this 'woke' rep is beyond me.

It is the worst sort of white anarchism, from the whitest loving anarchist tendency there is*.

* I explicitly count out ancaps and whatever the racists call themselves in this grouping, as they ain't anarchists.

They got a lot of goodwill for being one of the earlier places to tell MRAs to get the gently caress out.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Please let me know if you want me to crosspost these to the discord:

https://twitter.com/deathbybadger/status/1276417248605995008

This response mostly sums it up:
https://twitter.com/Mugulord/status/1276533114785783810

But seriously, people are doing good work decolonizing D&D, which I think is constructive enough, even if they're not offering a different system (which they and others often are).

what a fuckin' dipshit

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
His suggested alternative to D&D appears to be his own third-party 5e supplements.

Never trust a Clegg, evidently.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
With all the SA stuff I completely missed the Scott Lynch and Elizabeth Bear stuff going down.

Holy moly.

https://www.alexandrarowland.net/single-post/2020/06/25/On-Scott-Lynch-and-Elizabeth-Bear

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

dwarf74 posted:

With all the SA stuff I completely missed the Scott Lynch and Elizabeth Bear stuff going down.

Holy moly.

https://www.alexandrarowland.net/single-post/2020/06/25/On-Scott-Lynch-and-Elizabeth-Bear

This is such a loving bummer.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Jaym Gates has some stuff to say about Matt McElroy and industry men in general (this is the other Matt from WW/OPP).

It's not the worst, but it is still basically the same stuff you hear every time. There is no bottom.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That's pretty bad given that he does most of the customer-facing stuff at DriveThru.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

dwarf74 posted:

Holy moly.

God drat it is it so hard to not treat people like disposable objects?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Lemon-Lime posted:

His suggested alternative to D&D appears to be his own third-party 5e supplements.

Never trust a Clegg, evidently.

I don't have an issue with people shilling themselves, but this is just "why won't people educate meeeeee" shrieking.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
There are a lot of people coming out to contradict what Alexandra said. https://twitter.com/ArkadyMartine/status/1276496498688094216?s=20

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If someone is convinced D&D is bad, and doesn't like any of the offered alternatives and thus goes back to playing videogames because they've made the decision RPGs aren't their bag I think that just sounds like a person making a reasonable decision after examining a bunch of options for having fun. Rather than some kind of preventable hell tragedy.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Pretty sure that was Richard Morgan, the Altered Carbon author, and not anyone involved in EP.

You're correct. Richard Morgan has proudly thrown in with J.K. Rowling et al.

In contrast, Eclipse Phase has made an effort on gender issues. Second Edition includes some pages on relationships and gender, including what transgender issues look like in a transhumanist future. There were some critiques of the section on twitter and the authors engaged and discussed it right away.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This response mostly sums it up:
https://twitter.com/Mugulord/status/1276533114785783810

But seriously, people are doing good work decolonizing D&D, which I think is constructive enough, even if they're not offering a different system (which they and others often are).

I like how the last tweet is him saying he's going to mute the entire thread. 'Look, all you people tearing down D&D aren't suggesting alternatives! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to plug my ears so I can't hear you suggest alternatives.'

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This guy's take was just... aggressively bad, on a number of levels. I'll repeat here what I said on Twitter, which is that the thing he should be saying is not "other games are just as flawed as D&D" -- it's that "other games are only as flawed as D&D, despite being made by one person you've never heard of on a budget of $0".

Give any indie designer D&D money and D&D reach, and they'd deliver something an order of magnitude better.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

potatocubed posted:

Give any indie designer D&D money and D&D reach, and they'd deliver something an order of magnitude better.

I dunno this is also a stretch.

More money doesn't nessecarily really fix these types of issues.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I feel like I need to respond to every post in this thread individually because each time I re-read one it unlocks new depths of absurdity.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dexo posted:

I dunno this is also a stretch.

More money doesn't nessecarily really fix these types of issues.

I can think of a lot of medium- to high-crunch games whose biggest issues are either clarity- or balance-based, and those are problems you could absolutely solve by throwing enough playtesters at them.

D&D's designers have the money to do this and deliberately don't because they're in the business of nostalgia.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 26, 2020

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

To be honest this exchange seems like a distraction from the idea that the "perfect" game does not exist, and expecting someone's recommendations to be perfect or for them to be accountable(???) for any criticisms leveled against the game is loving absurd.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hey, I’d love to hear more about this, a topic I may have locked myself out of by pretty much ignoring 5e.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

Hey, I’d love to hear more about this, a topic I may have locked myself out of by pretty much ignoring 5e.

So, there's a couple problematic elements here.

One is racial ability modifiers, particularly penalties. Saying an entire race is just inherently stupider reeks of biotruths and the sort of excuses used by white people when 'civilizing' indigenous tribes.

Another problem is declaring entire races 'evil'. Again, this is classic Othering historically used to justify genocide. It's particularly bad when orcs, the poster child for this kind of reductionism, almost always have the aesthetic coding of indigenous people. 'Yeah, that group of people that mostly hunt and gather and dress like Native Americans? They're all evil, kill them.' is NOT a good look.

There's also issues with portraying every nonhuman species as a monoculture. It helps reinforce the Othering as well.

EDIT: This is not comprehensive, just what came off the top of my head right now.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The wording with half-orc and half-elf is also pretty yikes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gygax himself was incredibly racist and shoved his opinions into the game and species.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 26, 2020

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Fantasy races aren't different species; the idea of differentiation based on "race" or "ancestry" is just 18th-century race science reborn. You'd have to excise all of it and no one who plays D&D seems to want to do that, they just want to replace stat bonuses for being a Dorf with stat bonuses for being Fantasy Russian.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Zurui posted:

Fantasy races aren't different species; the idea of differentiation based on "race" or "ancestry" is just 18th-century race science reborn. You'd have to excise all of it and no one who plays D&D seems to want to do that, they just want to replace stat bonuses for being a Dorf with stat bonuses for being Fantasy Russian.

If were getting rid of racial bonuses entirely then poo poo, there a whole lot more than D&D were going to have to look at, its a pervasive aspect of any RPG setting that is not just humans. And why wouldn't it be its an easy way to differentiate between options. I'm not sure what the solution is even. People like having those options matter in some way mechanically.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Death to Ability Scores

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo its fine to have stuff thats maybe slightly grody in certain contexts so long as you work within it. like yeah elves having improved eyesight or whatever isnt like, 'woke' but its relatively harmless and it gives you some distinction for being an elf. all orcs being genetically evil at birth is kinda hosed up and also really boring. you can say the latter is weird and should go while being fine with the former.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Setting aside DTAS for a second, why not just associate ability score bonuses with class and give races features instead (i.e. flight, fire breath, etc.)?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Endorph posted:

imo its fine to have stuff thats maybe slightly grody in certain contexts so long as you work within it. like yeah elves having improved eyesight or whatever isnt like, 'woke' but its relatively harmless and it gives you some distinction for being an elf. all orcs being genetically evil at birth is kinda hosed up and also really boring. you can say the latter is weird and should go while being fine with the former.

It has nothing to do with being "woke." If Dwarves are a different species then being able to see heat is fine; if they're just prosthetic humans then it's dumb as hell. You can't have your stereotypes cake and eat it too.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

King of Solomon posted:

Setting aside DTAS for a second, why not just associate ability score bonuses with class and give races features instead (i.e. flight, fire breath, etc.)?

The whole purpose of Ability Scores is to permit for a bio-essentialist read of the game; A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court doesn't give the same power fantasy charge if it turns out that everything depends on your experience of being a knight hunting for the Grail.

Strip the second-order work and just make the math a single step.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Because that would take actual design work something that is rare in D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

5e is the regressive version that brings back most of the lovely things from previous editions because "that's what D&D is."