Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Boxman posted:

This is a good take, but now I want this line in there

Why

What absolute purpose does it serve to do that? It'd be like scene 1 John talking about the c*lor*ds daring to come near the soda fountain or whatever. It doesn't do anything to show progress. It just reinforces what garbage the past was. And that's not what Carousel of Progress's theme is.

It's what American Adventure's theme is. And blood. And death. And horrors. :911:

Renegret posted:

Like, the country bear jamboree is loving boring as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFkdcQgNJHo

No, but seriously. While there is a problem with classics remaining untouched, we also have problems like Tom Sawyer Island just sitting there doing literally nothing forever. We have Storybook Circus; which is garbage. We have the speedway, which should have been covered with something Sugar Rush ages ago.

I agree somewhat that some classics should go. Mostly I don't want country bears to go because there's few enough inside shows these days and I'd like to keep what we have for AC breaks. Otherwise, as much as I like Laugh Floor, it'd probably be the first one I killed. (not calling laugh floor a classic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

What parts of Small World are particularly problematic? I get that some of the children are broad-strokes representations of their nationalities but I don't recall anything nearly as bad as literal bone-in-nose ooga-booga natives that are played for laughs in Jungle Cruise.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Renegret posted:

I love Jungle Cruise but the way the natives are portrayed makes me feel real dirty. I always have to let go and just remind myself, it was something that was generally accepted at the time when the park was built.

Even beyond when the ride was initially built, it's honestly kind of shocking how recent that sort of thing was still considered acceptable - that whole sequence in the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie with the racist cannibal island was deemed totally fine to release by Disney in loving 2006. I remember critics pointing out how hosed-up it was in reviews, but there wasn't really any major push-back from the general public. The fact that people are way less willing to put up with that poo poo now is long overdue, but still definitely a change for the better.

I'm hoping they just swap out the parts with the natives for something else instead of doing a total retheme - that's totally something that could be changed while keeping the overall spirit of Jungle Cruise intact.

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 26, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Hazo posted:

What parts of Small World are particularly problematic? I get that some of the children are broad-strokes representations of their nationalities but I don't recall anything nearly as bad as literal bone-in-nose ooga-booga natives that are played for laughs in Jungle Cruise.

Some of the dolls are not the best...

Edit: On Jungle Cruise, the DL version still has native porters getting chased up the pole by the Rhino while the "Great White Hunter" is above them. WDW changed it to be all white men getting "the point" https://www.yesterland.com/junglecruise.html

Zero One fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 26, 2020

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

No, but seriously. While there is a problem with classics remaining untouched, we also have problems like Tom Sawyer Island just sitting there doing literally nothing forever. We have Storybook Circus; which is garbage. We have the speedway, which should have been covered with something Sugar Rush ages ago.

The only thing that should cover speedway is dirt.

quote:

I agree somewhat that some classics should go. Mostly I don't want country bears to go because there's few enough inside shows these days and I'd like to keep what we have for AC breaks. Otherwise, as much as I like Laugh Floor, it'd probably be the first one I killed. (not calling laugh floor a classic)

Laugh floor is the best :colbert:

Some day I'll get to be that guy.

Some day.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Why

What absolute purpose does it serve to do that? It'd be like scene 1 John talking about the c*lor*ds daring to come near the soda fountain or whatever. It doesn't do anything to show progress. It just reinforces what garbage the past was. And that's not what Carousel of Progress's theme is.

It's what American Adventure's theme is. And blood. And death. And horrors. :911:

I agree, it goes outside the theme of progress from a mainly technological perspective. I think you can make the attraction more inclusive by switching the family from scene to scene and updating the script/final scene. American Adventure is a better opportunity to be updated to talk about racial (lack of) progress throughout US history.

I totally agree with you on Tom Sawyer Island, Speedway, etc. going away and having something else replace them. Swiss Family Treehouse as well.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I still wish that Tom Sawyers island had been turned into a Lost themed island. You could still have a Sawyer!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

It should be turned into a Moana attraction damnit

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I still wish that Tom Sawyers island had been turned into a Lost themed island. You could still have a Sawyer!

If it were in Adventureland it'd be perfect for Moana. It is not. Therefore: woody's roundup island

(one day I'm getting something woody's roundup themed in MK, I fuckin' am.)

Renegret posted:

Laugh floor is the best :colbert:

Some day I'll get to be that guy.

Some day.

Problem: I really like Laugh Floor.

Other Problem: the Monsters Inc attraction REALLY should be that door coaster idea.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Why

I read it as tongue in cheek to demonstrate the ridiculousness of trying to convey ALL progress and I laughed at the incongruity; my comment was sarcasm. I could've been clearer, haha.

Macaluso posted:

I'm still a little surprised that MK Island hasn't been given the Pirates once-over.

Also, the problem is the sign at Tom Sawyer's Island still identifies it as "injun joe's cave," right? Just changing that to McDougal's Cave - or cheekier, Mark Twain's Cave - would surely be fine. Or was there something else horrible about the place I'm forgetting.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Boxman posted:

I read it as tongue in cheek to demonstrate the ridiculousness of trying to convey ALL progress and I laughed at the incongruity; my comment was sarcasm. I could've been clearer, haha.

I'm still a little surprised that MK Island hasn't been given the Pirates once-over.

Also, the problem is the sign at Tom Sawyer's Island still identifies it as "injun joe's cave," right? Just changing that to McDougal's Cave - or cheekier, Mark Twain's Cave - would surely be fine. Or was there something else horrible about the place I'm forgetting.

Tom Sawyer, as a book, has a lot of problems to begin with.

I think the only reason it isn't Pirates is because it's in Frontierland.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If it were in Adventureland it'd be perfect for Moana. It is not. Therefore: woody's roundup island

(one day I'm getting something woody's roundup themed in MK, I fuckin' am.)

Problem: I really like Laugh Floor.

Other Problem: the Monsters Inc attraction REALLY should be that door coaster idea.

I think instead of a coaster they should do something like Soarin', so you could go literally anywhere with the door idea

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

woah

woahhhhhhhhhhhh

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1276532933713690624?s=20

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zero One posted:

Edit: On Jungle Cruise, the DL version still has native porters getting chased up the pole by the Rhino while the "Great White Hunter" is above them. WDW changed it to be all white men getting "the point" https://www.yesterland.com/junglecruise.html

So the complicated part of Small World is that while it has stereotypical animatronics, it stereotypes every ethnicity (including all of the white ones) and takes a very anti-racist stance. The art style is outdated but the entire message is "Our diversity is awesome and makes the world great, and we should celebrate it."

With Splash Mountain, the question you really need to ask is "What happens when the younger generation asks about this ride?" While the ride itself is as divorced as possible from Song of the South, eventually those black kids going on it will learn that it's based on a movie that shows slavery as not all that bad, and they'll ask why the gently caress you left this up.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

chitoryu12 posted:

So the complicated part of Small World is that while it has stereotypical animatronics, it stereotypes every ethnicity (including all of the white ones) and takes a very anti-racist stance. The art style is outdated but the entire message is "Our diversity is awesome and makes the world great, and we should celebrate it."

This is very much what I was getting at, thank you for putting it into words better than I did. That's why I don't find Small World nearly as unsettling as some of the other attractions mentioned here.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
9,000 new cases today. No loving way Disney can open amid this mess.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The NBA picked a bad day to confirm and finalize their Disney plans

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Well I got past the all circuits busy issue, I have however been waiting for a rep for....40 minutes now!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Noooooooooooooooooooope.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

9,000 new cases today. No loving way Disney can open amid this mess.

Bet you it does.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
BugsBunnyFlorida.jpg

(I live in Florida and even I think we should be purged)

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'll put 5 dvc points down on delayed in some capacity.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Hubby seems to think they're going to open regardless with restrictions in place and the ever present 'you attend at your own risk, WDCompany is absolved of any responsibility' etc stuff to try and displace the numbers of sick.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

chitoryu12 posted:

With Splash Mountain, the question you really need to ask is "What happens when the younger generation asks about this ride?" While the ride itself is as divorced as possible from Song of the South, eventually those black kids going on it will learn that it's based on a movie that shows slavery as not all that bad, and they'll ask why the gently caress you left this up.

As the content of the ride goes, Splash Mountain has never been as blatantly offensive to me personally as The Enchanted Tiki Room. Obviously it's not the first/only place Disney has cartooned the Polynesian culture, they have a whole hotel dedicated to doing that in Orlando, and cartooning island culture was simply a big thing in Southern California during Disneyland's era thanks to the success of Don The Beachcomber and other tiki themed establishments. But the choice to use Walt's favorite hack comedian Wally Boag, a white guy, to play Jose, a bird who talks in a stereotypical hispanic drawl and tries to Spanglish it up by using 'senor' in sentences, is modern cringe.

Splash Mountain's biggest sin was the use of southern black vernacular that's associated with minstrel acts. I was kind of surprised they didn't whitewash that with new actors, but the corporate problem is the feedback loop of the ride generating outsized demand for a movie that they don't want to show.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 26, 2020

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

couldcareless posted:

I'll put 5 dvc points down on delayed in some capacity.

I see your 5 points and raise you 15.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Douchebag posted:

I see your 5 points and raise you 15.

I'll raise you both 40.

I don't have any points at the moment

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Too rich for my blood, I fold. Need to have enough left to kick my inlaws off the continent for Thanksgiving

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

mattfl posted:

Well I got past the all circuits busy issue, I have however been waiting for a rep for....40 minutes now!

Hello and welcome to my world. This happens for me every time there's a discount that needs to be applied.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009
I'll admit I'm sad that Splash is gonna change. I'm old enough to remember seeing Song of the South in a theater, but young enough to need my dad to explain the 'problematic' parts and why it was also bad after it was over. Its definitely part of my childhood and a classic to me, and I'll miss it.

But also super optimistic about a Princess and the Frog ride there instead, I adored the movie and I can't really think of a better thing to replace Splash with.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

At least in California, most of the general Splash animatronics were just moved from America Sings, and I expect Frogsplash will mostly just give them new hats or something. Not much needs to actually be removed except Brer _______ to fit the theme. Swapping out the tree on top for Mama Odie's boat might take a big crane and some heavy demolition though.

I worked on the ride and have significant personal memories there, and join general cast member opinion that Frogsplash will be a very good thing.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1276674612085108741?s=20

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Zero One posted:

Our Trader Sam was also made to be a lot more Marc Davis cartoony and ambiguous in terms of ethnicity, whereas Disneyland has him as straight up African and it's...uh...not great. like...look at this.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
nm

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

Hello and welcome to my world. This happens for me every time there's a discount that needs to be applied.

I got to 58 minutes and then it was time to go home from work. I’ll try again Monday lol

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
"Without any announcement, UNIQLO has reclosed at Disney Springs. The location has “closed” signs on the doors and has been removed from the list of open shops on the Disney Springs website. UNIQLO originally reopened with the rest of Disney Springs back on May 20th. Without an official statement, it’s unclear why the location has closed, but the UNIQLO website has removed all hours for the location."

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Oh gently caress me. Uniqlo was the only shop in springs I really gave a poo poo about.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

couldcareless posted:

Oh gently caress me. Uniqlo was the only shop in springs I really gave a poo poo about.

My Mum is going to be heartbroken by this.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That sounds more like a temp closing because of the virus than a "we're closed for good"? I hope so at least, pretty much my entire wardrobe comes from that place now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

J33uk posted:

My Mum is going to be heartbroken by this.

I know it isn't the same as browsing in person but maybe you guys can Skype call over https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/home/ browsing? And it can be like a fun little virutal clothes browsing thing, if she's gonna actually be really sad?