Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Hwurmp posted:

do you mean Deserts of Kharak

almost definitely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

StrixNebulosa posted:

okay everyone stop posting for 3 seconds so I can write this out. Playing too much of They Are Billions and Command n' Conquer has fired up the old nostalga buttons and so you all get to hear about :

Strix's Affectionate History with the RTS Genre
[...]

Strix man you really need to sink your teeth into RA3, I'm glad someone already gifted it to you because it's actually legitimately good and a proper improvement/sequel in RA2 in every way. It also has an expansion with wayyy more singleplayer content than is usual for... anything, really. Like a whole smorgasbord of 60+ single player missions aimed at veteran RA3 players, all with voice/video acting. Like there's probably over a full hour of footage of various actors goofing it up on camera just for a goddamn expansions' mission pack, it's nuts.

edit: The base game has Tim Curry and George Takei, fer chrissakes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Black Griffon posted:

Still thinking about picking up Deserts of, uh, Qatar (¿) because I like the aesthetic. How is it for people who are somewhat intimidated by standard RTS games but have played a lot of DoW/CoH?

Definitely closer to those Relic games. No real base building because your base is a giant, literal land-carrier and it's got the slickest controls of an RTS I've played.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Black Griffon posted:

Fallen Order really is way more of a metrovania with some soulsurgesekirobornioh trappings, and it's good stuff.

stop that, I'm not getting a star wars game this sale and you can't make me

Serephina posted:

Strix man you really need to sink your teeth into RA3, I'm glad someone already gifted it to you because it's actually legitimately good and a proper improvement/sequel in RA2 in every way. It also has an expansion with wayyy more singleplayer content than is usual for... anything, really. Like a whole smorgasbord of 60+ single player missions aimed at veteran RA3 players, all with voice/video acting. Like there's probably over a full hour of footage of various actors goofing it up on camera just for a goddamn expansions' mission pack, it's nuts.

edit: The base game has Tim Curry and George Takei, fer chrissakes.

I own the expansion pack on Origin! I have literally too much C&C to play now and it is AWESOME

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Xander77 posted:

Huh. I got a community contributor badge:
"The Steam community has awarded you with 6 awards. People are really into what you're adding to the community! Congrats!"

But no way to figure out what those awards were, and for what, exactly.

I checked your basics guides for Arcanum and The Witcher 2 just now, and the latter had two different awards. Guess Steam really wants you to check all of them!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

oh right I was going to say

Tooth n' Tail: fascinating small-scale RTS but I didn't like the multiplayer. To be fair I don't like the multiplayer for any RTS. But the campaign is neat and I enjoyed how slick it was to play.

Grey Goo: old-school Starcraft-type RTS with some interesting mechanics and a really... "vanilla" type story? It was weird, and weirdly boring? I was going to beat at least one campaign but then it crashed halfway through a late-game mission that was long and I could've opened it and loaded not a minute out from where I was but I couldn't be arsed. You might like it better than I did.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

almost definitely

It’s faster paced than either DoW or CoH but the combat against the AI doesn’t require micro, usually just the right units for the right situation. It does have resource gathering from distinct locations with distinct units but no base management - like space Homeworld everything is done from your land carrier. Moving units, combat, building poo poo is really snappy and responsive. Probably the slickest I’ve ever played. Audio work is fantastic.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Ever played Supreme Commander (Forged Alliance)? As far as I'm concerned that's the best RTS of all time and your history doesn't seem to have involved Total Annihilation so I think it could be a nice surprise.

I have 20 minutes in SupCom 1 and 40 minutes in SupCom 2, both from 2015. Which is to say, I should play them. And get Total Annihiliation finally and experience an oldie-but-goodie.

God I did not mean to make this sale the RTS zone but hey. They Are Billions is doing good things for me, as is C&C.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
^^^
Grab ZeroK, it's free and on Steam. One of the best RTS games of all time.

Also strongly recommend getting the Forged Alliance Forever fan launcher for Supreme Commander if you're gonna play it. The community version is improved in literally every way.

Mordja posted:

Definitely closer to those Relic games. No real base building because your base is a giant, literal land-carrier and it's got the slickest controls of an RTS I've played.

That says more about the state of the genre than it does about Deserts of Kharak's quality. It's controls and UI are ancient and outdated and have been exceeded literally 20+ years ago.

Deserts of Kharak doesn't even have rebindable hotkeys.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 26, 2020

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have 20 minutes in SupCom 1 and 40 minutes in SupCom 2, both from 2015. Which is to say, I should play them. And get Total Annihiliation finally and experience an oldie-but-goodie.

God I did not mean to make this sale the RTS zone but hey. They Are Billions is doing good things for me, as is C&C.

Supcom2 is a different game by a different studio, and I'm not sure anyone should play it.

Supcom1 is fantastic though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Apparently if you pre-order Dying Light: Hellraid, you can play the beta this weekend. Has anyone here done that? Is the beta up now?

Pierson posted:

I remember Dying Light being a very fun singleplayer campaign with a tacked-on multiplayer mode, now I look at the store page and there's two dozen pieces of DLC. Did it transition into a Division-style looter-shooter since then? Is it worth taking another look at if I just played it at release?

A lot of the DLC is just weapon skins or outfits. It did get a full expansion pack in The Following, a gigantic open world countryside full of zombies to drive over in your somewhat customizable buggy. There's a new story campaign, with lots of new quests, new weapons like submachineguns, shotguns, revolvers, and the Crossbow (which can be upgraded with a scope for a silenced sniper weapon). The Following is definitely worthwhile, every other DLC pack else is just to your taste. The biggest drawback to the Following is that if you really liked the parkour aspect, there's not a lot of places to do that in anymore, because it's so open.

Some DLC packs do offer firearms with possibly useful properties. The Gun Psycho DLC offers the Marksman Rifle, which is a reflex scope that makes precise shots easier, and the Retrowave bundle offers a gun that shoots stunning electric bullets. But other than The Following, everything else is entirely skippable.

The Devs have been trying to keep the community alive by adding lots of free content as well, like a silenced pistol blueprint.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
On the topic of weird RTSes. More people should.....attempt to play Achron.

It's the weird time travel RTS. I beat it somehow, and by the end that game was more puzzle then RTS. I reached a point mid game where I wasn't sure I was enjoying myself anymore.

But man is it unique.

Or Original War. The other time travel RTS. Where America went back in time to mine unobtanium from the Dinosaurs, only to find the Soviets there. Every single unit was a character in the story, had stats they could level up. Lot of weird story twists. Originally was going to have a third faction where Saudi Arabia also went back in time they thankfully cut because it probably would not have been as cheerfully goofy as the Soviet/Americans premise.

Did anyone else play the Perimeter games? What the gently caress were those.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Rookersh posted:

On the topic of weird RTSes. More people should.....attempt to play Achron.

It's the weird time travel RTS. I beat it somehow, and by the end that game was more puzzle then RTS. I reached a point mid game where I wasn't sure I was enjoying myself anymore.

But man is it unique.

Or Original War. The other time travel RTS. Where America went back in time to mine unobtanium from the Dinosaurs, only to find the Soviets there. Every single unit was a character in the story, had stats they could level up. Lot of weird story twists. Originally was going to have a third faction where Saudi Arabia also went back in time they thankfully cut because it probably would not have been as cheerfully goofy as the Soviet/Americans premise.

Achron is 20$ otherwise I'd buy it RIGHT now. Original War meanwhile is a dollar so yeah that's getting vacuumed up.

e: Oh and I have 3 minutes in Perimeter, which means I installed the game and closed it. This was from years back too so.... wow. A bounty!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 26, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Deserts of Kharak was an interesting take, with uninteresting higher tier units (big&fat and looks like a shoebox are not virtues), that didn't utilize it's signature shtick (elevation play) enough until the final mission, and was trying far too hard to be "Homeworld-esque".

I like RTS's, I like Homeworld, but I feel that DoK would have been better served playing to its strengths rather than trying to fit a different mold.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Speaking of free RTSs I have a soft spot for Warzone2100, which is free and open source.

Also I'm thinking of picking up Elminage this sale, which is the better version?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Rookersh posted:

Perimeter was crazy as hell and I've never played anything like it.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

World in Conflict is also a great baseless RTS. I think it was free on uPlay once?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zathril posted:

Speaking of free RTSs I have a soft spot for Warzone2100, which is free and open source.

Also I'm thinking of picking up Elminage this sale, which is the better version?

Elminage Gothic, it's the later game in the series and should have the most QoL stuff. Mind you it's still going to be super unituitive japanese Wizardry, so be sure you're down for that. Otherwise I can rec you some good dungeon crawlers!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

shout out to Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising, the RTS where the world's top capitalists get crucified by genetically engineered gently caress monsters

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Elminage Gothic, it's the later game in the series and should have the most QoL stuff. Mind you it's still going to be super unituitive japanese Wizardry, so be sure you're down for that. Otherwise I can rec you some good dungeon crawlers!

I've played the abyss/babel games, Stranger of Sword City, and Grimrock, if you have any other recommendations I would love to hear them, thanks.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Make sure to join the Summer Gift Train thread. Give something, get something.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hey, I wouldn't ask in here except that two people have fruitlessly looked elsewhere for like an hour, and I figure what with EA dumping everything onto Steam there might be somebody else around who's had this issue. My buddy got the new Battlefront 2 in the Steam sale, already had an old Origin account, booted it up, and he's getting an error code 524, which apparently means that the parental control settings don't allow him to access the internet.

But... there's no parental control settings active at all? He's thirty, Origin recognizes his account as an adult and has for years, and nothing we've found online has been any help at all. Anybody got any clues?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is he running Origin as administrator? It's really fucky about that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zathril posted:

I've played the abyss/babel games, Stranger of Sword City, and Grimrock, if you have any other recommendations I would love to hear them, thanks.

Heroes of a Broken Land (haven't played the sequel yet) is REALLY good
Mary Skelter: Nightmares is extremely anime with some unfortunate character designs but the dungeons are fun and the battle system neat
Ray Gigant is... wow when did I buy this? Uh, I need to install it too.
Robothorium felt a little too mobile game for my tastes.
StarCrawlers is like Grimrock but better and cyberpunk :v: (the joke is that I am the only person on earth to not like Grimrock)

Plus if you're willing to emulate stuff, Shin Megami Tensei I+II / Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei / SMT if... are all old-school dungeon crawlers with demons and they are the literal best. Shin Megami Tensei II is still one of my favorite games ever.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I do not like these Steam points. The wishlist system could use some work too.

That said, just bought Outer Wilds, CoD WW2, and Tooth & Tail.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Black Griffon posted:

Fallen Order really is way more of a metrovania with some soulsurgesekirobornioh trappings, and it's good stuff.

I definitely get Metroid Prime vibes while playing it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Operencia: the Stolen Sun is pretty good.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

How is this thread talking about RTS games and not mentioning one of the best? Battle Realms.

It's even on steam now:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1025600/Battle_Realms_Zen_Edition/

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I'm glad to see generally most goons here seem to enjoy Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. I love the game, but it's one that I could see people/goon hivemind piling on saying it sucks/is a poor clone of "x game" without ever playing it.

That being said, I see it as a game that will go on sale a lot in the coming year, and probably for cheaper than it currently is. If you're on the fence about it this sale, and have a limited budget/don't think you'll even play it before the winter sale, then hold off for the winter sale/black Friday deals.
Again, I love the game (it's not perfect, but super fun), but I really see it getting a bigger discount in the next 6 months...

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hwurmp posted:

Is he running Origin as administrator? It's really fucky about that.

As in, he should or he shouldn't? (I don't think he is, though.)

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

John Lee posted:

As in, he should or he shouldn't? (I don't think he is, though.)

Do whatever the opposite is and see if it fixes it

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Cardiovorax posted:

Operencia: the Stolen Sun is pretty good.

yeah i played the demo in one of these demo events and added it to my wishlist. seemed really solid.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

How’s the Chrono Trigger port? Good? Bad? Serviceable?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Supcom 2 is a good comp-stomper for people who get RTS anxiety

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

How’s the Chrono Trigger port? Good? Bad? Serviceable?

Launched absolutely terrible which is why you'll see a lot of criticism for it online, has since been patched and is now good

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

While we're on RTS chat I picked up They are Billions and it's a game that is so close to being something I enjoy, but ultimately just frustrated me until I gave up on it. I don't think there's any one issue I can point to and say "that's why I don't like it", but I'll go over a few that stood out. Sometimes when I give orders to a unit, they will stop following that order when I move the screen away. The early game restriction on building combat units, the fragility of many early game buildings, the very limited building space, and the way zombies can create more of themselves by damaging your buildings means that the first 15 minutes of every mission is tedious as you're forced to perfectly defend your base from all sides lest one zombie sneak through and create an unstoppable horde from smacking a couple tents.

There's no variety in enemy units, just zombie, zombie +1 etc. Your own units are dull, or at least they are in the "early" missions (I got 10 hours in and still only had access to 2 different units, who had very few differences between them). Oh, and the voice acting for all of the units is some of the worst I've ever heard. It's not even bad in a fun way, it just seems like everyone was recording in their apartment and were afraid of disturbing their neighbors.

There are missions where you play with just a handful of units and a hero unit, similar to some missions in Starcraft. It doesn't work here however, because the units have no abilities to manage, and the enemies aren't a threat, so there's nothing to do but attack move from one end of the map to the other. Oh, and try to figure out which of the identical background objects have the hidden bonus resources that are the entire reason you bother with these missions.

I'm just gonna stop there, game is bad and I regret giving it enough time that I couldn't refund it.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Are there any games like Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon on Steam to take a look at?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

like, just more metroidvanias?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Maybe they just really like games with Bloodstained in the title?

But if you want metroidvania's
hollow knight
dead cells
people like Ori even if I don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

there is a dead by daylight dlc called the bloodstained sack. that is all steam search is giving me