Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yes. By his own admission FT was pretty much by the steat of his pants and this one is a little more planned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yes. By his own admission FT was pretty much by the steat of his pants and this one is a little more planned out.

Makes sense, the current FT sequel manga seems a bit more structured in my opinion as well.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
From what I'm to understand EZ is a halfway house between Rave, which was planned out, and FT in that the constituent plot points are planned out but he's given himself enough room to play with what happens in getting from A to B.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mulderman posted:

powerups out of nowhere.

Have not actually seen too much of that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Uncle Khasim posted:

Seems weird they’d go to all that effort to explain the 24fps power if he’s out

the key point was how his ridiculously convoluted power relied on touching things with his palms to work. "he's a ridiculous badass because of x, y and z, except not any more"

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Uncle Khasim posted:

Seems weird they’d go to all that effort to explain the 24fps power if he’s out

Jujutsu
I feel like we're gonna get a reversal of some kind. One or two people dying? Yeah maybe. All of them including those sisters? Seems suss.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jujutsu Kaisen's power levels are gonna get wonky at this point. 1st grade sorcerers are having trouble with Jogou, who the big bad (Geto) says is equal to something like 8-9 Sukuna fingers. Gojo was a ridiculous prodigy and utterly dunked Jogou with zero effort. If Yuji gets forcefed all the fingers Jogou has he'll be at 15.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gojo is a complete anomaly by every single measure the manga has. Papa Zen'in is one of the best shamans around but like the manga explains it it doesnt matter as soon as you get into domains.

Im thinking GeGe fully adheres to the HunterxHunter way of explaining power levels, and hard counters and craftiness are huge factors. jogou essentially caught them on the back leg, and nanamin was already hurt before the dagon fight, no one around was in good condition.

Also power levels are bullshit

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

I have no loving idea how that 24 fps power is supposed to work other than it freezes you if you don’t follow its bullshit rules.

Basically, I think it works by taking Zen'in's field of view and anything that doesn't operate at 24fps gets shoved into a frame he can freely manipulate as long as he's touching the target. The first time he uses this wasn't clear because it looks like he grabs Dagon from across the room but I guess he had actually snuck up on it before Nanamin and Maki could attack. :shrug: So anything shy of a stationary object or an old movie can be imprisoned at will.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Jujutsu
I feel like we're gonna get a reversal of some kind. One or two people dying? Yeah maybe. All of them including those sisters? Seems suss.
The two sisters both group up behind her camera and while it looks like the one is trying to take a picture of volcano head, she could also be taking a selfie. Maybe her ability specifically creates a backup or illusion of anyone photographed so that's how I think they are making it out alive. Maki has to survive as well but I'm worried for Nanamin

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Basically, I think it works by taking Zen'in's field of view and anything that doesn't operate at 24fps gets shoved into a frame he can freely manipulate as long as he's touching the target. The first time he uses this wasn't clear because it looks like he grabs Dagon from across the room but I guess he had actually snuck up on it before Nanamin and Maki could attack. :shrug: So anything shy of a stationary object or an old movie can be imprisoned at will.

The two sisters both group up behind her camera and while it looks like the one is trying to take a picture of volcano head, she could also be taking a selfie. Maybe her ability specifically creates a backup or illusion of anyone photographed so that's how I think they are making it out alive. Maki has to survive as well but I'm worried for Nanamin

Yeah

Also narratively those sisters are too unexplored/interesting to die. Or stay dead anyway

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
And that's all she wrote. Silver Spoon is officially over barring some volume extras. Just the kids growing up and expanding their horizons. That and baseball, gotta play more baseball.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Guardian of the Witch wasn’t an especially good series, but the cancellation was premature. The premise was a journey with a set number of points (I think only 7 or so total) for the protagonists to stop at along the way, like Astra Lost in Space. They could have just given it another volume or so, and it could have been reasonably complete. Instead they just canceled it and it skipped to the happy ending without a final battle or anything.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

And that's all she wrote. Silver Spoon is officially over barring some volume extras. Just the kids growing up and expanding their horizons. That and baseball, gotta play more baseball.

Kind of medicore, honestly. But it's hard to fault Arakawa given what was terribly stressful time of her life and the bizarre publication schedule. Had this just come out years ago I'd probably just sort of shrug at it being kind of a rushed ending and move on, but it's extra weird now when it's taken this long for one extra chapter to basically not actually do or say anything we didn't already know about the characters and their stories at this point.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Translations of Birdmen has resumed and in the midst of these kids trying to fulfilling this "gathering of seven" there's a reminder that the MC has a bit of a justified ruthless streak going for him.

I'll always consider mind controlling people inherently evil and man does YELLOW really sell the menace of this kind of ability

Nate RFB posted:

Kind of medicore, honestly. But it's hard to fault Arakawa given what was terribly stressful time of her life and the bizarre publication schedule. Had this just come out years ago I'd probably just sort of shrug at it being kind of a rushed ending and move on, but it's extra weird now when it's taken this long for one extra chapter to basically not actually do or say anything we didn't already know about the characters and their stories at this point.

To be fair, this chapter came out in like January and it's just now getting to us. However, it seems the last two chapters are the actual stopping point and it's more just showing us that everyone is moving forward with their goals in life. I hope it feels better on a re-read but it does still feel like the story tapered off even knowing this is the structure she intended even before her family health problems started.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

birdmen is like the only good series on jb at this point

e: wait they translate kaguya too. they got 2 good series

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 25, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i love birdmen so much

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/hard-boiled-cop-and-dolphin

New Series from Ryuhei Tamura(Beelzebub, and Hungry Marie)

Shonen jump's early this week.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Phew that is some interesting timing for this manga but we'll see

But this is some extremely pro cop bullshit.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 26, 2020

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the dolphin looks cool

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Okay Ghostwriter, I'll admit that's a pretty good hook.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The new manga from the Beezlebub guy looks promising, certainly better than Hungry Marie.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Not sure about Ghostwriter, but it's definitely going in a direction!

Agravity Boys and Bone Collection continue with fun goofy chapters. Bone Collection just flew by this week.

Magu is cute I guess.

Ayakashi Triangle continues to be excessively generic and excessively horny. And possibly homophobic??

Cop Dolphin himself is neat, but hoooo booooy that's a big yikes to release right now. Lessons such as "regulations keep real cops from doing their jobs!" and "cops need to shoot their guns when they're not supposed to in order to save innocent lives!" are really rough right about now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it's pretty tone deaf but maybe things are different in japan? idk

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea it's pretty tone deaf but maybe things are different in japan? idk

no japan's cops also suck just in a different way

they won't shoot you but they will frame you if that's easier than actually catching the person who did the crime

could not possibly be less interested in a "violent cops own" manga right now,

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Sukuna is back baby and it's time for death. :unsmigghh:
Imagine surviving death only to get turned into chunky salsa minutes later because you forgot your place in the pecking order? RIP sisters

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dexo posted:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/hard-boiled-cop-and-dolphin

New Series from Ryuhei Tamura(Beelzebub, and Hungry Marie)

Shonen jump's early this week.

What the hell did I just read?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What the hell did I just read?

Copaganda.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
I'm not sure how I managed to miss that Ayakashi Triangle is just a horny ripoff of Natsume's Book of Friends, but it's pretty clear now.

...I'm going to keep reading it anyway. I miss watching Natsume Yujincho.

Not going to even try to read cop manga atm

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Blockhouse posted:

they won't shoot you but they will frame you if that's easier than actually catching the person who did the crime

Pretty sure Japanese cops also beat up poor immigrants for no reason, just like everywhere else.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
always remember, 99% conviction rate. that really tells the whole story.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

I meant public perception wise

cause if this is as badly timed in japan as it is here, I'm seeing another cancelled series in this author's future

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There were recent police brutality protests in Japan as well.

I'm not sure how much impact it will have on the Shonen Jump readership though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Just curious and I know they play only a small part when it comes to police brutality but are Japanese cops even allowed to carry guns? If I recall correctly I think I heard that they’re banned in most of the country (though using them on TV shows/movies or depicting them in anime seems to be ok though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 27, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what does that have to do with anything? police brutality isn't dependent on guns.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what does that have to do with anything? police brutality isn't dependent on guns.

Oh I know, I was just asking out of curiosity. Also I wasn’t entirely clear how Japan’s gun laws worked in general.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 27, 2020

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sukuna is back baby and it's time for death. :unsmigghh:
Imagine surviving death only to get turned into chunky salsa minutes later because you forgot your place in the pecking order? RIP sisters

Aaaaaaah
by "Everyone except one", does he mean Yuuji or Gojo?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Aaaaaaah
by "Everyone except one", does he mean Yuuji or Gojo?

kinda think he means megumi

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I love me a police procedural so yeah, I could go for this new one.

And, yaknow, Ghost Plagerist, if you were going to plagerize from Stien's Gate as well you could have done that 3 or 4 chapters ago and maybe kept the X-pac Heat off of the MC.
As is this is still bollocks and I hope it gets U17'd out of existance.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Bone Collection just flew by this week.

Yeah, I liked that at the end everyone is just flying home like Goku with zero explanation, I think it's settled into a nice gag niche.