Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pesky Splinter posted:

Just want to imagine a donkey wearing a labcoat and stethoscope. With another trotting in the distance wearing a nurse's hat.

"Hey, we know all about the uncanny valley, and how much more appealling simple features on robots is, don't we?"
"Yeah...but let's just make an abomination."

"Looks like we'll have a budget shortfall in Q3 ... Jeff, do you still have that Realdoll?"

In other news, shopping centre operator Intu have gone under.

E: FFS. 27th June 1844 - Joseph Smith, founder of the Mormons, is killed by a mob while awaiting trial for treason.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Good to see that Ireland came together in the spirit of harmony and lock out the winner of the last election because they’re left wing, a resounding success for the ballot box imo

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

smiling giraffe posted:

corbo was terrible. im glad the new guy sacked that lady. ban me fuckars

:hmmyes:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

big scary monsters posted:

I see this misunderstanding very, very often, and in honour of maths chat earlier I want to finally clear it up. Venn diagrams do not work like that. They work like this:

Here is a general Venn diagram for anime fans and neo-Nazis, assuming the sets are non-disjoint (that is, some number of anime fans are also neo-Nazis and/or vice-versa).

Now, let's say that all anime fans are also neo-Nazis. We can introduce shading to distinguish between empty and non-empty sets. Here I'm using unshaded to mean an empty set, so you can see that there are no anime fans who are not also within the set of neo-Nazis. However, some neo-Nazis are not anime fans, as shown by the shaded portion of the neo-Nazi circle outside of the intersection.

If all anime fans are neo-Nazis and also all neo-Nazis are anime fans we shade only the intersection - the sets "anime fans who aren't neo-Nazis" and "neo-Nazis who aren't anime fans" are both empty.

When you talk about the the diagram being a circle you are most likely thinking of Euler diagrams. These are quite similar to Venn diagrams, but show only some of the relations between sets rather than all of them. Here is the Euler diagram of the second example above, all anime fans (or maybe all antifa???) are neo-Nazis, but not all neo-Nazis watch Neon Genesis Evangelion.

If you wanted to show the third Venn diagram above, you could expand the small circle to the size of the big one, and you would indeed have a diagram that is just a circle, but that's hard to label without being confusing. Here is what Wikipedia calls a "Humorous diagram comparing Euler and Venn diagrams." Now you are in set 3!

e: To be consistent with the first diagram I guess I should have used shaded to mean an empty set rather than unshaded. Ah well.

Is it the case then that the area/shape-sizes never represents actual values? I mean I guess that would get tricky anyway with more than 2 circles and you'd have to start getting creative with the shapes

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The ESA earth station on Ascension is absolutely tiny though. Its a small prefab building with a single dish.

Are you going to pretend that the british equivalent of the Kennedy Space Centre wouldn't be a small prefab building with a single dish? c'mon now

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

big scary monsters posted:

I see this misunderstanding very, very often, and in honour of maths chat earlier I want to finally clear it up. Venn diagrams do not work like that. They work like this:

The venn diagram of people who are pedants about venn diagrams and people who should care less about venn diagrams is just a picture of goatse

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/wurrance/status/1276799521826062336

Turns out Glinners been throwing his knob out to lots of strangers.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm not sure I've been overall a good poster in this, the serious thread, but I've enjoyed our chats and sharing a common cause with many of you.

Ratjaculation posted:

Genuinely concerning reading the latest Lowtax poo poo

He is continuously bringing up this poor woman's trauma in a smuggish way to clearly to manipulate and torture her, oh and he is proud he has never been convicted of assaulting people.

I can't partake in a community he is still a part of.

Hopefully see you all again in better days

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Flipswitch posted:

Lol he's literally going into women's spaces to be a sex pest. Its always a self projection with these people.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Re Glinner / Blue tick thing (but not about his transphobia)

I thought blue tick simply meant that twitter had verified that you were who you claimed to be so how can they remove someone's blue tick unless they find out it's an impersonation? Or have I misunderstood the role and function of the blue tick?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It also sort of functions as a sort of endorsement, not necessarily intentionally but like, when you create a class of "verified" people it confers authority on them.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Flipswitch posted:

Parody account, plus it's gone.

e: blue tick also gives you priority replies to other blue ticks and some extra Twitter functionality, iirc.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:bisonyes:

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Did Keir Starmer do some 'young people forum' a few weeks ago or did I dream such nonsense?

Watching a bit of this weeks Question Time, its better without a fleet of meat in the audience but still mostly farting about.

e:

the gooniest bookshelf of political video conferencing

justcola fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 27, 2020

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Gavin Williamson has identified the real issue facing today’s teachers and classrooms.

Circular tables!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/face-the-front-and-pay-attention-minister-orders-nation-s-children-mpq792shs

Ps 30 kids per classroom to really get that second wave cresting

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Ratjaculation posted:

I'm not sure I've been overall a good poster in this, the serious thread, but I've enjoyed our chats and sharing a common cause with many of you.

you've been a good poster, especially when posting seriously! hopefully he gets the boot and you return someday

also, "never once been convicted" is some interesting framing to use, rather than "i didn't do it"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lowtax admitting to being a virgin is a real Hail Mary attempt to save his Patreon

e: wait I thought the post said "with a woman" rather than "to a woman". gently caress me, let the internet mob destroy my post now

e2: Petition to change "You just made a post! Hope it didn't suck!" to "Let the poison internet mob destroy my post now"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

justcola posted:

Did Keir Starmer do some 'young people forum' a few weeks ago or did I dream such nonsense?

Watching a bit of this weeks Question Time, its better without a fleet of meat in the audience but still mostly farting about.

e:

the gooniest bookshelf of political video conferencing

Ah, yes, Ender's Game, the book with absolutely no awful Jewish stereotypes in it at all...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Re Glinner / Blue tick thing (but not about his transphobia)

I thought blue tick simply meant that twitter had verified that you were who you claimed to be so how can they remove someone's blue tick unless they find out it's an impersonation? Or have I misunderstood the role and function of the blue tick?

It's literally just a sticker that says twitter thinks you're cool.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rustybear posted:

Galileo is about using large, slow, E band satellites in a stable MEO orbit to provide secure satnav signals to EU states in the event they can't rely on GPS/GLONASS (which is a legit strategic concern for the EU for obvious reasons).

Rustybear posted:

But access to the designs is crucially different to access to the service itself; your level of strategic concern over long term access to the service depends on the extent to which you think we'll enter a (winnable!) military confrontation with the EU and USA simultaneously. Back in reality the UKSA is still an ESA delegate and ESA has a huge research center in the UK in Harwell, we're not actually a total pariah.
There's no way that the EU enters a winnable fight with both the US and Russia, so what's the real strategic concern there?

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 27, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
RIP Glinner. He dedicated his life to posting. Ruined his career, lost his wife, lost his kids and was immediately abandoned the second he was no longer useful to those who radicalised him. All for the posts. You gotta respect it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Party Boat posted:

Lol he went to mumsnet at 3am to whine about it and got roasted

https://twitter.com/SadistHailey/status/1276720388601344000?s=19

Why am I blocked by this sadist lady who I have never previously interacted with

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Pretty unedifying seeing this site’s large adult webmaster pretty much brag about his abusive behaviour. He’s like a case study of the type that preys on the traumatised and the vulnerable; the way he chips away at that poor woman’s self-esteem and tells her she can’t trust her lying mind has actually made me feel a bit sick cos it’s so reminiscent of horrible stories psych service users have told me. I hope she’s safe. Also for Ratj; always enjoyed your posts and thought you often punctured the occasional sliiightly pompous atmosphere here at well-timed moments.

Still fuming a lil bit at that Aaronovitch effort and his tweets. Someone (Trin Tragula?) posted an article about alt-right tactics of filling the air with demoralising, choking filth to drown out and dishearten their enemies, and I really think that’s what our Online ‘Centrists’ do. Why else would they post that gloating shite they brand themselves with when it makes them look so baleful and pathetic? They and their fascist mates also love trying to appropriate cultural symbols from Greek masterworks through Sumerian mythology as if to deny people who actually understand them more and more intellectual territory. The culture war feels like it’s pressing in so acutely at the moment, and it leaves me with this constant sense of low grade anger.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ThomasPaine posted:

Why am I blocked by this sadist lady who I have never previously interacted with

I have like 5000 people blocked because they said something lovely at some point. It's probably that.

https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1276794436484202496?s=19

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

Ah, yes, Ender's Game, the book with absolutely no awful Jewish stereotypes in it at all...

Also Brave New World and Prelude to Foundation. Both of which I do not doubt are taken wholly seriously.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shogi posted:

Still fuming a lil bit at that Aaronovitch effort and his tweets. Someone (Trin Tragula?) posted an article about alt-right tactics of filling the air with demoralising, choking filth to drown out and dishearten their enemies, and I really think that’s what our Online ‘Centrists’ do. Why else would they post that gloating shite they brand themselves with when it makes them look so baleful and pathetic? They and their fascist mates also love trying to appropriate cultural symbols from Greek masterworks through Sumerian mythology as if to deny people who actually understand them more and more intellectual territory. The culture war feels like it’s pressing in so acutely at the moment, and it leaves me with this constant sense of low grade anger.

It does feel very good to rub your enemies' faces in it. I think the demoralization is kind of a secondary effect.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

ThomasPaine posted:

They might have a thing that blocks anyone that follows other users on a blocklist.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
I note that Mumsnet have deleted every post criticising Glinner. lol

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable

Gonzo McFee posted:

RIP Glinner. He dedicated his life to posting. Ruined his career, lost his wife, lost his kids and was immediately abandoned the second he was no longer useful to those who radicalised him. All for the posts. You gotta respect it.

Was there anything to say his wife and kids have left him?

I love to laugh at glinners misfortune and seeing proof of this would be a cherry on the cake.

You can also add in his inability to make his wife nut 👍

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

OwlFancier posted:

It does feel very good to rub your enemies' faces in it. I think the demoralization is kind of a secondary effect.

Never attribute to intelligence that which is adequately explained by malice?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I would suspect that mum42069 is a troll account tbf

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shogi posted:

Never attribute to intelligence that which is adequately explained by malice?

I mean it's certainly the easier option in this instance I think :v:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

There's no way that the EU enters a winnable fight with both the US and Russia, so what's the real strategic concern there?

:thejoke: but maybe some interventions, especially without the say-so of both Russia and the US, could be good?

Like helping Ukraine fight the "rebels" (I think that has mainly US support but still) or helping kurds or whatever.

OTOH all wars are bad for some, just looking at how Lybia has gone is enough for an example.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jel Shaker posted:

Good to see that Ireland came together in the spirit of harmony and lock out the winner of the last election because they’re left wing, a resounding success for the ballot box imo

It's part of a much longer discussion but while Sinn Fein were the "winner" of the last election, it's more in the sense that they gained the most ground from this election compared to the last one.
They didn't have the most TD's elected (that was FF.) And while they might have won the popular vote, due to poor preparation they didn't run enough TD's. (And ran some questionable candidates. Like Paddy Hoolihan.)

Yeah a coalition has been formed by the two centre Right parties and the Greens, but it's already looks so wobbly I think I will fall apart within the year. And already judging by the polls FF have somehow managed to push away their support before they got a chance to do anything.

And like them or loath them (and let me be clear. I do not like Leopald. For the reason that the mask slips and it becomes obvious he hates poor people so much) the Government and Leo came out looking strong on Covid-19.

They gave clear advice, acted decisively, knew when to be serious and also knew when to try and praise the Irish people for the hard work done. They have so far done a good job with this, and not just "good compared to the USA/UK." Good full stop.

I personally think that the re-opening is happening too fast and too many concessions are being made to the Publican Sector and public health will probably suffer.

Put a non SF government getting in, isn't surprising. How long it lasts and if we can see a strong Left Government come in afterwards remains to be seen.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

namesake posted:

I would suspect that mum42069 is a troll account tbf

Maybe she was born 4th April 1969? And likes the american date format? Honestly, you're so cynical!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Stellar work Keir

https://twitter.com/broderly/status/1276774358942470144?s=19

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The Question IRL posted:

It's part of a much longer discussion but while Sinn Fein were the "winner" of the last election, it's more in the sense that they gained the most ground from this election compared to the last one.
They didn't have the most TD's elected (that was FF.) And while they might have won the popular vote, due to poor preparation they didn't run enough TD's. (And ran some questionable candidates. Like Paddy Hoolihan.)

Yeah a coalition has been formed by the two centre Right parties and the Greens, but it's already looks so wobbly I think I will fall apart within the year. And already judging by the polls FF have somehow managed to push away their support before they got a chance to do anything.

And like them or loath them (and let me be clear. I do not like Leopald. For the reason that the mask slips and it becomes obvious he hates poor people so much) the Government and Leo came out looking strong on Covid-19.

They gave clear advice, acted decisively, knew when to be serious and also knew when to try and praise the Irish people for the hard work done. They have so far done a good job with this, and not just "good compared to the USA/UK." Good full stop.

I personally think that the re-opening is happening too fast and too many concessions are being made to the Publican Sector and public health will probably suffer.

Put a non SF government getting in, isn't surprising. How long it lasts and if we can see a strong Left Government come in afterwards remains to be seen.

I guess I should ask this in the Ireland politics thread but is the likely response of any collapse going to be gains for FF or FG at the expense of the other for those who generally support the coalition and gains for SF from everyone else?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

I don't like Venn Diagrams anymore

Euler all the way

As Grey Area says there were some jokes in The IT Crowd that were transphobic and people began saying as much.
As well as transphobic jokes peppered throughout his back calalog, it was the b-plot of an entire episode, spoilered for details of gender insensitivity in case anyone hadn't seen it. Basically the head of the company has a brief relationship with a trans woman until he finds out. And it takes the opportunity to hit drat near every trope it can.

Reynholm meets a woman (played by Belinda Stewart-Wilson aka Will's mum) and is attracted to her and pursues her romantically.

Oh, and she's his employee, so there's that as well.

At some point she discloses that she hasn't pursued their attraction because she 'used to be a man' (his words) and he seems not to be bothered by it. Pretty sure she refers to it as a shameful secret.

Reynholm says he isn't bothered by it and she's overjoyed and they start a relationship.

She seems to be interested in typically male activities - there is a whole montage of them drinking, arm-wrestling, watching football. The joke being the usual mashup of transphobic tropes and the only humour coming from double entendres about m/m relationships.

They have sex so at least there's no jokes about penises, it just goes down an equally awful route.

I'm pretty sure that the main characters find out she's trans and laugh about douglas not knowing.

It later transpires that Reynholm thought she said she was 'from Iran' (yes, i know) and upon her saying, while they are in bed watching darts (yep), 'to think I thought you would be bothered that I used to be a man' he realises and is horrified (yes, I know)

I might be misremembering (i used to watch IT crowd before I knew better) but I think at one point they show a photo supposedly of her pre-transition and again, the difference is played for laughs

after a break for commencial and a bit of a-plot, they are looking round a new lab and douglas is acting completely disinterested in her (you could possibly say that at least reynholm is shown as the bad guy here, but that's like looking for a cubic zirconia in the greater london sewage system).

They have a fight, the joke being that she has male strength, and crash through a wall and interfere with the a-plot somehow. At the end of the episode i think he looks at a picture of her and is sad or something but again it's played as a joke at her expense.

I remember it being one of the weaker episodes. I mean the theater episode at the start of s2 at least has very good comic timing, even if the content is astoundingly homophobic and outright abusive to disabilities.

Unless you're transphobic this whole episode is just... ehh. You could write it off as a product of not knowing any better at the time, except he is still trying to defend it.

E: Actually it occurs to me that this might be a good episode for the pod to dissect because there are a ton of microagressions I keep remembering.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 27, 2020

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it's certainly the easier option in this instance I think :v:

Nolnah’s razor does have a certain explicative elegance like, just wish I could stop cutting myself on it. All these ‘tactics’ might just be structures hauled up post facto around the behaviours online rightists wanted to present anyway. It would be comforting to believe there was a strategy and not just more directionless hatred shaped into ugly little channels by social Brownian motion idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would always err on the side of structural reasons rather than any sort of plan. Not least because structures are far more resiliant. It's a lot easier to knock over a plan than it is something that's already in place and mutually supported by a whole load of other poo poo, which explains why structrues last longer.

On the plus side if by chance you manage to knock out the foundation the collapse of the structure is way funnier to watch.