Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

another loser posted:

Thinking the same and judging by the other cars in their garage, they cared about it.

Yep. Porsche guy. That's exactly what I was going to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The 2006 is also a US Spec car, if the S is Canadian spec and has Xenons (and sport seats) going for it.

Not a big difference between US/Canadian spec other than OEM factory running lights (easily disabled if they cause rage) but most importantly have metric sweep gauges.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Asked the owner, the 2004 S is a US spec car.

https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0CB29894S660513/

Edit/Update: Went and checked it out, it's in great shape with a ton of documentation. The guy has a car collection, and apparently bought this for his wife, but she ended up not wanting a manual. In the Boxster ad photos, you can see part of a yellow car up on the lift, it's a 993 Turbo.

another loser fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 18, 2020

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
I picked up my race car the other day, and have pretty much been driving it non stop ever since. I do not regret this purchase for a single second.

Initial impressions are "Oh god, I actually finally own a Porsche, better not break it" followed by "SWEET JESUS THIS THING CORNERS LIKE IT'S ON RAILS" followed by seeking more corners to go around.

So far, I've mostly worked on the roof - Sewn in new side elastics to stop it unfolding outside the frame, and made a trip to the only Porsche dealer in my state for a new roof pushrod because the left side one was bent and the plastic ball joint was broken, likely caused by the roof unfolding outside the frame and someone forcing it closed.

Installed it and aligned the roof so it closes evenly up against the windshield frame at the end of the motor travel.

I'm still waiting on a roof latch from a wrecked 987 because the salesman broke the handle off the one in this car on the test drive. This did get me a $500 discount on the car, and the parts were only $170, so I'm still technically ahead.

On the plus side, I can engage mine if I lever it over center with a screwdriver, so the roof is still properly sealed, locked and watertight. No wind noise either. It'll do until the new latch arrives.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Renting a 987 Boxster exactly like this (except it had a tip lol) was what got me into Porsches in the first place. Enjoy in good health :mrgw:

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

US configurator for GTS 4.0 is up https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/718/718-gts-4-0-models/ not that I can justify buying one :smith:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Infinotize posted:

US configurator for GTS 4.0 is up https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/718/718-gts-4-0-models/ not that I can justify buying one :smith:

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsche-code/default.aspx?c=/PM57BIR6

Ooof, 100 thousand American dollars.

A used GT4 is looking pretty good in comparison.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
eh i can get what i want (miami blue miami blue seat belts) for like 91k

still a poo poo load of money tho

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsche-code/default.aspx?c=/PM57BIR6

Ooof, 100 thousand American dollars.

A used GT4 is looking pretty good in comparison.

Hello gold wheels european delivery fren http://www.porsche-code.com/PM96RXB2

Man they really kick your rear end on the deviated stitching stuff.

I kinda see the GTS as the equivalent of the GT3 touring pkg version of the GT4, no stupid wing and although the gt3 touring isn't detuned (I don't think?) I'd want it a little softer to drive every day.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

eh i can get what i want (miami blue miami blue seat belts) for like 91k

still a poo poo load of money tho

So miami blue is my favorite car color of ALL TIME, however I was watching Nick Murray's youtube channel and he mentioned something about this color not doing well in very sunny climates. Anyone know anything about that? Some googling didn't come up with much.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

are you parking the car outside? if so why

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Infinotize posted:

Hello gold wheels european delivery fren http://www.porsche-code.com/PM96RXB2

Man they really kick your rear end on the deviated stitching stuff.

I kinda see the GTS as the equivalent of the GT3 touring pkg version of the GT4, no stupid wing and although the gt3 touring isn't detuned (I don't think?) I'd want it a little softer to drive every day.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PMS581Q0

Hmmm, this is also a possibility. For some reason 98k seems much more reasonable than 102k. :v:

I kind of see the GTS as a GT4 touring as well, with a softer suspension for DD duties, which is why I'm considering it over say, a used GT4. Driving a GT4 daily over pothole filled roads seems bad.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

are you parking the car outside? if so why

No, but I'm in southern Arizona, so if the color is really fragile, even daily driving could be a problem here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

solution: buy the car in some lovely porsche nerd high resale color like BLACK or SILVER (gently caress those boring assholes) and wrap it

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

solution: buy the car in some lovely porsche nerd high resale color like BLACK or SILVER (gently caress those boring assholes) and wrap it

yeah screw those guys

wait

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

buy it and immediately repaint it with decent paint

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Do wraps screw up the paint when you remove them?

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Hoping I can get some opinions.

I decided to pass on both Boxsters I was looking at. In the mean time, shockingly the guy with the 2004 C4S who was going to trade it for a boat, has come back asking if I'm still interested.

I had the car previously inspected:

2004 manual C4S Cab
- 160,000km
- Compression test was solid
- Front struts rusting and upper mounts cracked
- Rear shocks weak
- Ignition coils cracking
- Clutch feels heavy, and shifter is loose
- Left front outer CV boot leaking
- Front axle seals leaking
- IMS done
- Hardtop included

Asking $32,000 CAD ($23,450 US)

Too many headaches?

another loser fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 29, 2020

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
Paying SF prices, that's a solid $5k of deferred maintenance with maybe another $1500-1750 for suspension, so you'd be 28-29 into a $25k car; more if the front axles need doing. On the upside, you'd know all the work was done and have peace of mind ims rms.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

another loser posted:

Hoping I can get some opinions.

I decided to pass on both Boxsters I was looking at. In the mean time, shockingly the guy with the 2004 C4S who was going to trade it for a boat, has come back asking if I'm still interested.

I had the car previously inspected:

2004 manual C4S Cab
- 160,000km
- Compression test was solid
- Front struts rusting and upper mounts cracked
- Rear shocks weak
- Ignition coils cracking
- Clutch feels heavy, and shifter is loose
- Left front outer CV boot leaking
- Front axle seals leaking
- IMS done
- Hardtop included

Asking $32,000 CAD ($23,450 US)

Too many headaches?

Seems like a lot of things need fixing , whereas there are plenty of similar year and mileage models around that have none of those issues

If he was willing to drop at least $5k from the price MAYBE consider it

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

That is just the list of stuff that can be found now, at that age and mileage I would expect all the wearing suspension parts will need attention as well a steering. I would also consider that whoever was going to trade for the boat looked at that list and likely came to the same conclusion. If you can get money off sure but otherwise there will be better ones out there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Unless you have a burning desire for a C4 cab, I'd pass. The only way that combo could be less desirable would be if it had a tip.

Unless you could get it for mid $20s, it's not that great of a deal tbh.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
does anyone know if I can flash my poo poo in a 2014 cayman S to not have auto rev matching on in Sport+ mode. The internet is not helping

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
1999 Porsche 911
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/pittsburgh-1999-porsche-911/7149525029.html

Is this guaranteed to cost me $5k+ in a few years? 6 owners and no records but the price is so so right. Am I better off saving up to by a car closer to $20k?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Second key alone is $500 after it has been programmed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Buy it. 99 is pretty much the best 996. The earlier the better. Do the IMS and water pump as you get around to it at this stage.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
It wasn't the original plan, but looks like I found car for the summer.

A 2003 Boxster S, who was purchased in 2017 by an old rich guy who was going senile. He took it to a Porsche mechanic and told them "to fix anything it needed". Have documented $12K in work they did on it. After the work was done, he wasn't happy with the paint so he had the whole thing repainted. Then he got sick, and died. It has 87km on the odometer since the work was done. It's the estate selling it, for less than the work done to it, soooooo

It'll do for the summer, and the hunt will continue for a 996/997

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

another loser posted:

It wasn't the original plan, but looks like I found car for the summer.

A 2003 Boxster S, who was purchased in 2017 by an old rich guy who was going senile. He took it to a Porsche mechanic and told them "to fix anything it needed". Have documented $12K in work they did on it. After the work was done, he wasn't happy with the paint so he had the whole thing repainted. Then he got sick, and died. It has 87km on the odometer since the work was done. It's the estate selling it, for less than the work done to it, soooooo

It'll do for the summer, and the hunt will continue for a 996/997

Nice, if you change your mind send me the info please :)

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

kensei posted:

Nice, if you change your mind send me the info please :)

Third dibs

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

1999 Porsche 911
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/pittsburgh-1999-porsche-911/7149525029.html

Is this guaranteed to cost me $5k+ in a few years? 6 owners and no records but the price is so so right. Am I better off saving up to by a car closer to $20k?

That's a tremendous car for the price and if you were serious about getting a 996, it's a great start. 99s are the best non TT and that's not bad mileage at all. If it was mine I probably wouldn't even do the IMS since it's a dual row.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
The 992 is so underwhelming. I didn't expect it to be this bad.

Having driven every (sub)generation of the 911 since the 993, I'd certainly expected it to be a bit bigger, a bit plusher, and a bit more disconnected from the raw driving experience. However, even the 991.2 with the turbos had a soul - a gloriously direct character that made it and prior generations a real hoot to drive. I remember running through the 7 gears in a friend's 991.2 S and loving the feel of the turbos and wanting so desperately to own a Porsche again.

No such merriment in the new 992. It feels like a parody of itself. Heavy control inputs that attempt to convey a sense of the Teutonic, while smothering the life out of your driving experience. A chassis that feels really planted and even a little harsh, to give you that sporty sensation, but without that telepathic feel for the road the older generations convey. Highly capable, to be sure, but dull and lifeless. Kind of the way BMW is today.

The interior looks great in pictures but is full of irritations. Annoying piano black plastic on the door switches and cheap-rear end gray plastic across the dash, a far cry from even the alu-look plastic in the 997. Nice in pictures and crap in practice. Shift lever reused from the Taycan, sticking out of the center console instead of next to the wheel where it belongs. Essential controls hidden away in the infotainment.

None of the above is a disqualifier in itself, but it all adds up to a whole that is strangely diminished from the heights of the previous generations. It's like as they've "improved" it over time they've crossed an invisible line and lost something.

So I walked into the showroom intending to place an order for a Lizard Green 992S, and walked out feeling awfully unsure of myself. And I'm someone that's lived the last 6 years dreaming about the day I would come back to the Porsche fold.

So then I walked into an Audi dealership and test drove the TT RS on a lark. For all the objective ways in which it might be measurably inferior to the 992, it did something that the Porsche could never do, which is make me laugh like a madman while flooring it on an onramp and listening to the sweetest gearchanges I've heard in a while. It feels like it's got a soul. So tomorrow I'm putting a deposit down and ordering one of the last cars of its kind. Thank god for Kyalami Green, and goodbye to my Porsche dream.

(It's not fully dead; maybe one day I'll buy myself a 997.2 GT3 RS)

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Nice choice. It's impressive how over time instead of getting watered down like a like of interested niche products, every TT generation has basically gotten cooler. I would have ended up with one instead of the 996TT if it had a back seat.

On a related note I had a 991 Targa next to me at the grocery store yesterday and I'm always amazed at how big they are. The Targa with the top off really empasized it because it was easy to compare the driver to the car's shape. On paper it doesn't look that much bigger but in person it's a fatty versus the 996/997s and the 992 probably would look the same amount bigger than a 991.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cars are supposed to be fun, who cares if they perform well if the way that they get to that point is boring.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

got off on a technicality posted:

Having driven every (sub)generation of the 911 since the 993, I'd certainly expected it to be a bit bigger, a bit plusher, and a bit more disconnected from the raw driving experience. However, even the 991.2 with the turbos had a soul - a gloriously direct character that made it and prior generations a real hoot to drive. I remember running through the 7 gears in a friend's 991.2 S and loving the feel of the turbos and wanting so desperately to own a Porsche again.

No such merriment in the new 992. It feels like a parody of itself. Heavy control inputs that attempt to convey a sense of the Teutonic, while smothering the life out of your driving experience. A chassis that feels really planted and even a little harsh, to give you that sporty sensation, but without that telepathic feel for the road the older generations convey. Highly capable, to be sure, but dull and lifeless. Kind of the way BMW is today.

The interior looks great in pictures but is full of irritations. Annoying piano black plastic on the door switches and cheap-rear end gray plastic across the dash, a far cry from even the alu-look plastic in the 997. Nice in pictures and crap in practice. Shift lever reused from the Taycan, sticking out of the center console instead of next to the wheel where it belongs. Essential controls hidden away in the infotainment.

None of the above is a disqualifier in itself, but it all adds up to a whole that is strangely diminished from the heights of the previous generations. It's like as they've "improved" it over time they've crossed an invisible line and lost something.

So I walked into the showroom intending to place an order for a Lizard Green 992S, and walked out feeling awfully unsure of myself. And I'm someone that's lived the last 6 years dreaming about the day I would come back to the Porsche fold.

So then I walked into an Audi dealership and test drove the TT RS on a lark. For all the objective ways in which it might be measurably inferior to the 992, it did something that the Porsche could never do, which is make me laugh like a madman while flooring it on an onramp and listening to the sweetest gearchanges I've heard in a while. It feels like it's got a soul. So tomorrow I'm putting a deposit down and ordering one of the last cars of its kind. Thank god for Kyalami Green, and goodbye to my Porsche dream.

Cayman GTS (2021) be just the thing to soothe you're porsche worries.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

got off on a technicality posted:

This is kind of how I feel about the 911. I've wanted once since I saw a Blue over Tan one in the July 1996 issue of Car and Driver, and always figured I'd own one some day. Now that I'm actually able to buy one, I find myself drawn much more to the Cayman than the 911, which has grown in size too much over the years.

Russian Bear posted:

Cayman GTS (2021) be just the thing to soothe you're porsche worries.

I'm still 50/50 on whether I'll pull the trigger. 981 GT4s can be had for roughly 70-80k, although the 718 CGTS is probably the better car for my situation (driving in the North East, curvy back roads on the weekend, occasional trip, occasional autocross).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Cars are supposed to be fun, who cares if they perform well if the way that they get to that point is boring.

Seriously, this. Unless you're actually racing the drat thing, you're never going to notice 0.01G better on a skid pad. You sure as hell will notice whether it puts a smile on your face.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
Hot take: ever since hearing the phrase 'Panamera Coupe', I just can't with the 991 or the 992. They're too big.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Niacin posted:

Hot take: ever since hearing the phrase 'Panamera Coupe', I just can't with the 991 or the 992. They're too big.

Followed a 992? GT3 RS a couple days back on a drive home. Best-sounding engine there is, but without reservation, from the rear that vehicle appears massive. The tires are a lawl-size huge and while understandably so to achieve such levels of grip, it looks almost like something you'd expect to see on a 69' Camaro headed to the 'strip.

Loved my time behind the wheel of a 981 GT4, which remains my current "halo" car had it not been so obviously ham-strung by the gearing.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Niacin posted:

Good one! It's a mystery to me how despite that the backseat remains as cramped ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

thealphabetsez posted:

Loved my time behind the wheel of a 981 GT4, which remains my current "halo" car had it not been so obviously ham-strung by the gearing.

I wonder how big of a deal this really is on the newer cars. The gearing on my 981CS was the same as it is on the GT4, and although it was definitely kind of silly, it wasn't the tragedy reviewers seem to be making it out to be. Sounds like the new GTS/GT4 are similar, although have the benefit of more torque presumably.