Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not talkin' about pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' about workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' about sharkin'.

My 9 year old son compared the Mayor in JAWS to Donald Trump and Ron Desantis relating to the proverbial "opening of the beaches" in the midst of corona virus and how much danger we're being put under right now here in NE FL.

He's a smart kid.

But at least the mayor eventually admitted he hosed up and hired Quint. Trump would have called Hooper, Brody and Quint "losers" after firing them from his cabinet and blamed the shark attacks on...well...I dunno. The media I guess?

Well, the media and the people who are rioting because they're being forced out into the water in kayaks. Also Jaws is multiplying and more sharks show up every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
The vast majority of people recover from sharks, ok. I don't even know anyone who's been bit by a shark. And anyway, we all have to die eventually, it might as well be by shark while at the beach.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
If I die by shark, I want them to bury the shark with me

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

If the biased news media would stop reporting all these shark attacks there'd be no problem!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It's just antifa biting themselves and saying sharks did it. Also sending sharks to conservative communities.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not talkin' about pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' about workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' about sharkin'.

My 9 year old son compared the Mayor in JAWS to Donald Trump and Ron Desantis relating to the proverbial "opening of the beaches" in the midst of corona virus and how much danger we're being put under right now here in NE FL.

He's a smart kid.

But at least the mayor eventually admitted he hosed up and hired Quint. Trump would have called Hooper, Brody and Quint "losers" after firing them from his cabinet and blamed the shark attacks on...well...I dunno. The media I guess?

I hope my son's that smart when he's 9. Apropos of nothing, he saw Kelly Anne on TV and abruptly said "she looks like a spooky skeleton". Being 3, I feel it's a good start.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Oh, I also forgot to mention that the president was hawking shark repellent that not only doesn't repel sharks, but has severe side effects.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
LOL.

There's a new study that shows the correlation between consuming RWM and the spread of covid 19.

I'd link it but it's behind a WAPO paywall

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Also the mayor and Trump are both in deep with the mob (in the book it's why he wants to keep the beaches open).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Also the mayor and Trump are both in deep with the mob (in the book it's why he wants to keep the beaches open).

I read that book as a kid but don't remember that.

I know the film excised certain elements that dragged it down (like Hooper's affair with Ellen Brody) but having the Mayor mobbed up makes the connection even more apt then my son even realizes.

I like to hammer on my RWM listening friends how odd it is that we never get a look at Trump's tax returns 4 years in and all they seem to have to say is "he doesn't have to legally release them" but never really addresses why he won't/hasn't.

And, yeah, we all know it's Russian mob money stuff.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

I read that book as a kid but don't remember that.

I know the film excised certain elements that dragged it down (like Hooper's affair with Ellen Brody) but having the Mayor mobbed up makes the connection even more apt then my son even realizes.

I like to hammer on my RWM listening friends how odd it is that we never get a look at Trump's tax returns 4 years in and all they seem to have to say is "he doesn't have to legally release them" but never really addresses why he won't/hasn't.

And, yeah, we all know it's Russian mob money stuff.

He's being audited. Every day for four years straight. As the president, the head of the executive branch.

For those playing the home game each of those points is total, absolute, bullshit start to finish. An audit doesn't prevent him from releasing the records he has, at all. Audits are also not eternal, that is bullshit. He also won the election with that lie, and now he could tell the IRS to do it any minute he ever wanted.

Those facts, however, are just for the education of the thread. Those facts are completely useless out in reality because it's not a legal/factual argument being made. This is another piece of fascistic gaslighting. It's the bully that stole your hat and is wearing it saying "I don't see any hat. Do you guys see a hat on my head? Well looks like you're just wrong nobody believes you. What are you going to do about it?"

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

BiggerBoat posted:

LOL.

There's a new study that shows the correlation between consuming RWM and the spread of covid 19.

They actually got specific enough to find a correlation between which specific Fox pundit you liked and your likelihood of spreading it. Hannity is worse for that than Tucker Carlson.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/ChuckGrassley/status/1276857731593277444

Cool that he admits fox news wants trump to win

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

They actually got specific enough to find a correlation between which specific Fox pundit you liked and your likelihood of spreading it. Hannity is worse for that than Tucker Carlson.

https://www.cracked.com/article_28084_conservative-media-helping-spread-virus-according-to-science.html

I know I know CRACKED.com and all that but it links a lot of the studies

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

LOL.

WaPo makes covid articles free, but for the benefit of the posterity for people reading in a few months time to wonder wtf went wrong:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...674a_story.html

quote:

By Margaret Sullivan
June 28, 2020 at 12:00 p.m. GMT+1

It’s another one of those Trump Era realities best described as unsurprising but nevertheless shocking.

Three serious research efforts have put numerical weight — yes, data-driven evidence — behind what many suspected all along: Americans who relied on Fox News, or similar right-wing sources, were duped as the coronavirus began its deadly spread.

Dangerously duped.

The studies “paint a picture of a media ecosystem that amplifies misinformation, entertains conspiracy theories and discourages audiences from taking concrete steps to protect themselves and others,” wrote my colleague Christopher Ingraham in an analysis last week.

Here’s the reality, now backed by numbers:

Those who relied on mainstream sources — the network evening newscasts or national newspapers that President Trump constantly blasts as “fake news” — got an accurate assessment of the pandemic’s risks. Those were the news consumers who were more likely to respond accordingly, protecting themselves and others against the disease that has now killed more than 123,000 in the United States with no end in sight.

Those who relied on Fox or, say, radio personality Rush Limbaugh, came to believe that vitamin C was a possible remedy, that the Chinese government created the virus in a lab, and that government health agencies were exaggerating the dangers in the hopes of damaging Trump politically, a survey showed.

quote:

“That’s the real evil of this type of programming,” Arthur West of the Washington League for Increased Transparency and Ethics, which sued Fox News in April over its coronavirus coverage, told the Times of San Diego. “We believe it delayed and interfered with a prompt and adequate response to this coronavirus pandemic.” (A Fox News lawyer called the suit “wrong on the facts, frivolous on the law,” and said it would be defended vigorously; a judge dismissed the suit in May.)

Beyond the risks the general public faces from consuming this nonsense and misinformation, there’s the fact that the president himself has been picking up these same ideas and using them to steer policy. Instead of tapping experts in the medical and scientific community — many of whom are on the government payroll — he has chosen to educate himself by watching right-wing news outlets.

Recall the South Carolina campaign rally in late February where Trump dissed his political adversaries’ criticism of his virus response as “their new hoax.” Or the Feb. 26 White House news conference where he said of the virus: “We’re going to be pretty soon at only five people. And we could be at just one or two people over the next short period of time.” The next day, he offered his now-infamous “it’s going to disappear” reassurance.

As the weeks went on, and the toll of the virus became undeniable, Fox’s offerings became somewhat more responsible, but viewers were misled for far too long. As late as March 6, a Fox “medical contributor” was falsely assuring Sean Hannity’s audience that the virus wasn’t all that bad: “At worst, worst-case scenario, it could be the flu.”

quote:

To his credit, Fox’s Tucker Carlson was delivering a different, much more reality-based, message, but he was an outlier on the network in those early weeks of the crisis. In fact, one of the studies found that Carlson viewers took protective measures much earlier than Hannity viewers.

The upshot was clear: For too long, many devotees of most right-wing news decided they didn’t need to stay home. Others absorbed the idea that wearing a protective mask was an act of left-leaning partisanship.

But disease leaps across the political aisle quite nimbly.

And so, it’s tragic — but again not all that surprising — to see the virus spiking now in red states where governors and other public officials joined Trump and his favorite news outlets early on in downplaying the dangers.

When confronted with the information in one study that cast Sean Hannity in a dim light, Fox News responded with defensive gaslighting — even using the specific phrase “reckless disregard for the truth,” which is most typically deployed by those threatening a libel suit.

Fox’s response also included releasing a timeline of Hannity segments in the early months of this year — with titles such as, “We have the best people working on coronavirus” — to prove the show covered the topic relentlessly. The network noted that Hannity interviewed the nation’s top infectious-disease expert, Anthony S. Fauci, as early as January.

Hannity’s interviews, though, tend to be exercises in Trump sycophancy rather than fact-finding missions. His first probing question to Fauci in a March interview: “The quarantine that the president did within three weeks, [which was] the fastest ever — do you believe it likely prevented thousands of Americans from contracting the virus and was a smart thing to do?”

One of the study’s authors persuasively rejected Fox’s criticism that underlying data was chosen unfairly: There’s no “cherry-picking” possible, he said, because the independent coders read every transcript between late January and late March. These academic studies, published in Harvard Kennedy School Misinformation Review and the National Bureau of Economic Research, are cautious. They don’t make wild claims, and they wisely hedge their conclusions because they don’t want to go too far.

Still, it’s difficult to come away from them without believing that serious harm has been done. And that it’s far from over.

Broken down to match the section breaks on the article.

e: first study linked https://misinforeview.hks.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/April19_FORMATTED_COVID-19-Survey.pdf

Second one: https://www.nber.org/papers/w27417

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Who is this Jojo person that suddenly appearing on my facebook? I keep getting ads for her for the Libertarian party and that she is the only moral choice for 2020 or whatever. Google just says she ran for some backwater district and only got 2% of the vote.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Who is this Jojo person that suddenly appearing on my facebook? I keep getting ads for her for the Libertarian party and that she is the only moral choice for 2020 or whatever. Google just says she ran for some backwater district and only got 2% of the vote.

I thought Jojo was the movie about the German kid who's imaginary friend is Hitler.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Who is this Jojo person that suddenly appearing on my facebook?
:confused:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So, um....I just took my son to McDonald's and they had a TV in the back playing FOX News.

The Chryon read "Trump Re-tweets video of person yelling "White Power" at Protestor"

Knowing FOX, I was trying to figure out how this could be a good thing for Trump and I don't know the story behind it but it also wouldn't shock me if Donald just went full on with it at this stage. *Googles*

So now we're here apparently

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-u...ing-white-power

quote:

A video shared by President Trump on Twitter Sunday includes a man who appears to be a Trump supporter saying "white power" in response to protesters.

In the video, apparently taken at The Villages, a retirement community in Florida, people wearing Trump shirts and with Trump signs on their golf carts drive by protesters yelling insults at them and about the president.

In one exchange — eight seconds into the two-minute video — a white man holding a sign that says "Make America Sane Again," a reference to Trump's campaign slogan, yells: "Where's your white hood?" In response, a white man driving a golf cart with signs reading "Trump 2020" and "America First" yells back "white power."

Trump retweeted the video, which was shared by an unknown Twitter user, and said, "Thank you to the great people of The Villages. The Radical Left Do Nothing Democrats will Fall in the Fall. Corrupt Joe [Biden] is shot. See you soon!!!"

So I guess FOX was reporting it as protesters loving with a bunch of innocent old white people who gave back as good as good as they got (?). but, still, that crawl stopped me in my tracks.

Also drove by some tents/booths hawking Trump merch near my grocery store and considered stopping to passive aggressively gently caress with them but I had my kid with me and don't need the trouble. Had a joke locked and loaded about how the store was out of TP so can I please buy a shirt but thought better of it. Wall to wall American flags of course, which seems to be all these idiots think they need to do to be Real Americans. For a second, I thought it was a fireworks stand, which would have made more sense - and for all I know it was - but just :negative:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sunday Fox is mostly firmly in the "News Department" wing of the channel so they often have a foot in reality. They're the reason Trump hates Fox News now when his sycophants in the "Editorial Department" aren't on air.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Who is this Jojo person that suddenly appearing on my facebook?

????

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Stand with us.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

So, um....I just took my son to McDonald's and they had a TV in the back playing FOX News.

The Chryon read "Trump Re-tweets video of person yelling "White Power" at Protestor"

Knowing FOX, I was trying to figure out how this could be a good thing for Trump and I don't know the story behind it but it also wouldn't shock me if Donald just went full on with it at this stage. *Googles*

So now we're here apparently

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-u...ing-white-power

So I guess FOX was reporting it as protesters loving with a bunch of innocent old white people who gave back as good as good as they got (?). but, still, that crawl stopped me in my tracks.

Also drove by some tents/booths hawking Trump merch near my grocery store and considered stopping to passive aggressively gently caress with them but I had my kid with me and don't need the trouble. Had a joke locked and loaded about how the store was out of TP so can I please buy a shirt but thought better of it. Wall to wall American flags of course, which seems to be all these idiots think they need to do to be Real Americans. For a second, I thought it was a fireworks stand, which would have made more sense - and for all I know it was - but just :negative:

I envy you for having a little piece of your soul that is still capable of being shocked. I wouldn’t have even blinked.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I envy you for having a little piece of your soul that is still capable of being shocked. I wouldn’t have even blinked.

I was more shocked by the news crawl/caption that FOX ran than I was the Freedom Fireworks/lovely Merch Made in China/America Booth that I drove by. Don't envy me at all. I'm 98% of the way towards being completely broken and taking up a heroin habit just to ease the pain and soothe my sense of hopelessness. I'm kidding and being hyperbolic but...

To be perfectly clear, not much at all shocks me anymore in light of DJT's rigid and disturbingly stubborn 40% approval rating and all the strange cult like behavior I witness from his followers. There doesn't seem to be any real breaking point with this dumb dumb where people reflect on what's happening and go "yeah...I dunno about this idiot" and the weird worship he gets from so called christians is perhaps the most troubling aspect of the whole thing to me.

You'd think there'd be some stage of this poo poo show where even 5 or 10% of the die hards had the basic common sense to be even a little bit embarrassed and admit some level of wrong headedness or bad judgement somewhere along the loving way, given how off the rails and crazy the GOP is. But it never happens and they've doubled down so many times I can't even run those levels of exponential numbers to try and figure out where reason lies.

You'd think at least ONE RWM pundit would be all "seriously? this is what we stand for?" but there seems to be no shortage of shills that Want Money lining up to take the place of anyone who might try that (having a conscious), and they'll cast aside their ilk to the trash heap of forgotten memories quite fast, as we've seen over and over (Palin, McCain, Sessions, Mattis, Romney, Bush Sr., Arnold, etc.)

TL/DR: Don't envy me or misinterpret what I was trying to say. FOX News ran a hard to apologize for or explain away news crawl and that's what surprised me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

What's Trumps Stand? I imagine a greasy burgerman called Skrewdriver.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Skynard Golden, a fat-fingered stand whose signature attack, Birth of a Nation, leaves a greasy trail that immobilizes his opponents.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Lol reddit shitcanned r/the_donald.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Feinne posted:

Which was already dead, at least they also got garbage like ConsumeProduct as well.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feinne posted:

GenderCritical too.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

GenderCritical too.

Yeah and then immediately uprooted their effort to make a new one. There's also a whole bunch of right-wing YouTube channels that went down including David Duke's and Richard Spencer's.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Feinne posted:

Imagine posting this as some kind of :thunk:burn

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
"imagine being human with emotions" is a weird one.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Imagine posting this as some kind of :thunk:burn

Lol that's even more pathetic than 'facts don't care about your feelings'.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Feinne posted:

Censoring Freedom Seech once again

:sad:

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Heh. All this only now, when the right wing's accidental hegemony is on the wane.

I guess they assume that if Trump wins, the future will be brutal and no amount of boot licking will save them. If Trump doesn't win, then the 4 year nightmare is over and having principles will no longer cost them money.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Heh. All this only now, when the right wing's accidental hegemony is on the wane.

I guess they assume that if Trump wins, the future will be brutal and no amount of boot licking will save them. If Trump doesn't win, then the 4 year nightmare is over and having principles will no longer cost them money.

Nah, it's gonna suck the next 4 years no matter what.

Unfortunately.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjDUUU-Z-aI

i was listening to this debate between marc lamont hill and *hurls* candace owens. MLH did a pretty good job overall pushing back against candace's dumbness, imo. but there was one part i'd like to know more about. at one point, they're talking about affirmative action, and candace brings up a study by thomas sowell that shows black students that got admitted to ivy league schools did much more poorly while they were taking classes in those schools than white students were. if they went to less presitgious and demanding universities, they would have been fine, but apparently they were "mismatched", she/sowell claims.

i feel like, well, with ALL conservatives studies, there may be more to it than what they initially claim. i mean, the thing that i found curious was that, it wasn't like these black students at ivy leagues were FORCED to go to those schools. presumably they chose to apply on their own. and presumably, if they felt they could even apply to such places to begin with, they had a pretty good resume and enough confidence in their abilities to do so.

maybe the numbers sowell cited were correct, but there seems to be some more context that is kind of important?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's probably a lot of social and social capital issues at play. Just, like, imagine how hard it might be finding a mentor or someone to identify with to make the experience easier, for example. There's also the bias that PoC *need* to be flawless wunderkind at prestigious schools, while GW is doing kegstands and coke and his mediocre grades aren't worth thinking about because it's just a holding pattern for the *real* job that X will have lined up for them.

I'm a PoC who did terribly my first year at college and it almost dissuaded me from continuing -- 'wow, these people know so much more than I do, I must not belong here.'

Anyway Richard Ramirez Rodriguez (the fucker), in his autobio Hunger of Memory, talked about how hard it was for him to carry this (self-imposed, largely) label of being a scholarship kid attending school. As if his economic circumstances invalidated all his other achievements. And it's something that was deeply affecting to him.

Later on, when he's able to get a position as university faculty, some latinx students try to build some commonality and he just. loving. Nukes. Them by going on about how he doesn't "believe" in ethnic studies/minority literature and that academics shouldn't put themselves in ghettos by labeling themselves in such ways.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 30, 2020

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Richard Ramirez, the serial killer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Agents are GO! posted:

Richard Ramirez, the serial killer?
Nope, I am an idiot. Richard Rodriguez.