Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ded posted:

so i am curious

how often do you hear

sweepers sweepers man your brooms!

Once a day every day except Sunday. We clean for 30 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Clampdown.

Field day!

Cleaning stations.

Fresh water wash down.

But do they all have to be on the same day XO?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Working day is 9-5. I think I gotta stand a 6 hour watch every other day while at sea. We had ribs and salmon today with fresh apple pie. I’m not sure why everyone complains about sea duty.

lol

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Working day is 9-5. I think I gotta stand a 6 hour watch every other day while at sea. We had ribs and salmon today with fresh apple pie. I’m not sure why everyone complains about sea duty.

lol

If you reenlist after your charmed first term, I'm going to laugh forever because Big Navy is going to find a way to whiplash all your good times back at you 1000% worse

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

lol

What in the gently caress lol

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

pkells posted:

Out at sea for the last 160 days? Oh boy do they have a surprise waiting for them when they get back to this hell world.

Actually, if anything, I think the COVID situation makes it significantly less likely they will come home to their spouse being pregnant.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
At the shore command I just reported to, we've bifurcated the staff/watch teams into two separate buildings in case COVID hits the command, only half the staff/watch teams are endangered, and we can maintain an active posture.

50% of the reporting right now is just tracking COVID outbreaks in the various cells under our TACOM. >_>

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

lol

6 hour watch every other day

you're on 7 section? gently caress sake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoFsjzaipNA

this is you right now

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
What's Ling's rating? Skate Repairman?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dorstein posted:

He's a reserve IT on a USNS ship.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dorstein posted:

IT2

Nick Soapdish posted:

If you reenlist after your charmed first term, I'm going to laugh forever because Big Navy is going to find a way to whiplash all your good times back at you 1000% worse

So I volunteered to stay for an additional 6 months because my mobilization started in December but I ended up at home for like 3 of the first 5 months phone mustering. If they extend me to April like I requested I can sign another 6 year contract to transfer my GI bill to my kids and not have to mobilize for the next 70 months due to the 1 to 5 dwell time for reservists.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

There is no :stare: big enough

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

IT2

So I volunteered to stay for an additional 6 months because my mobilization started in December but I ended up at home for like 3 of the first 5 months phone mustering. If they extend me to April like I requested I can sign another 6 year contract to transfer my GI bill to my kids and not have to mobilize for the next 70 months due to the 1 to 5 dwell time for reservists.

Constantly in awe of your finesse.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

orange juche posted:

That bosun was really proud of his whistle

Also get really upset when you call it a whistle for some reason.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hekk posted:

Also get really upset when you call it a whistle for some reason.

because it's a pipe.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I still have a pipe and yes, we are all very proud of long loving rear end boatswain calls.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

This is a pipe

Only registered members can see post attachments!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

This is a whistle

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

orange juche posted:

This is a pipe

Ceci n'est pas un pipe

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

says someone who has never taken a rip from his bosun pipe.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

IT2

And you were complaining about the delays. You just 360 through the legs from the 3-point line dunked on the military.

Edit:

orange juche posted:

This is a whistle

:dong:

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
Who the loving embrace isn FRaglord and I'm they can't stop me from getting drunk at the river.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If they tried to stop you I imagine it was an ineffective deterrence, at best. Please do not drown in the river.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If they tried to stop you I imagine it was an ineffective deterrence, at best. Please do not drown in the river.

Fishing and camping. I don't think Virginia has a river I would swim in. It's all brackish and full of fallen branches.

Al Capwn
Nov 18, 2004
Getting a little stressed out and confused with covid affecting PCS orders. Need some guidance if that's alright.

So basically I'm at a TSC. My original orders say to detach from TSC after C school, have all of April off, and then go to Japan in May. Well Covid hit and got an ORDMOD in May saying that I would detach from TSC June 30th and report NLT July 15th. Well, TSC Admin is just not that great to say things lightly. I have yet to turn in my PRR for flight tickets because my Overseas Screening is still being routed and they told me I can't turn in my PRR until they get that back. Well I've heard people turning in their PRR before their Overseas Screening gets routed so I don't know why they're giving me different answers. Anyways, stressing out because I don't want to stay at TSC any longer than June 30th waiting for paperwork to get routed, meanwhile I'll only have a week or less of leave time at my hometown. Is there anything I can do to speed things up to leave at June 30th? Would I be out of place to call my detailer to ask for a delay in reporting to be set at July 30th instead of July 15th while I'm waiting for admin to sort their thing out?

Edit: I appreciate the advice and information. Thanks guys!!

Al Capwn fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 27, 2020

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Al Capwn posted:

Getting a little stressed out and confused with covid affecting PCS orders. Need some guidance if that's alright.

So basically I'm at a TSC. My original orders say to detach from TSC after C school, have all of April off, and then go to Japan in May. Well Covid hit and got an ORDMOD in May saying that I would detach from TSC June 30th and report NLT July 15th. Well, TSC Admin is just not that great to say things lightly. I have yet to turn in my PRR for flight tickets because my Overseas Screening is still being routed and they told me I can't turn in my PRR until they get that back. Well I've heard people turning in their PRR before their Overseas Screening gets routed so I don't know why they're giving me different answers. Anyways, stressing out because I don't want to stay at TSC any longer than June 30th waiting for paperwork to get routed, meanwhile I'll only have a week or less of leave time at my hometown. Is there anything I can do to speed things up to leave at June 30th? Would I be out of place to call my detailer to ask for a delay in reporting to be set at July 30th instead of July 15th while I'm waiting for admin to sort their thing out?

Every step of every process of moving people has gotten more difficult, including general admin. The personnel who are moving the paper around have more work at each step then normal, more chances to get things in the way, more direction from CNRJ, CNRSW, USFF, 7th FLT, PACFLT that they have to parse that seems the change on a biweekly basis. I suspect there are two camps of people fighting over your folder right now--those who are saying, "get this stuff through, or we're never going to keep up--we need to facilitate--even if we don't strictly 'have a waiver'", and those who are saying "we need to follow the protocols now more than ever, because I'm already losing control of the situation--hol'upaminute". You are at a tip of a 2,000,000 person DOD whip which is cracking and throwing the people on the end every which way. TSC admin is generally understaffed and only functional because there are a sufficient quantity of holds voluntold into service--their managers only have them for two months at a time and generally lead by giving very specific and direct instructions and providing lots of oversight, each of which is difficult to do over Microsoft Teams.

I have only very basic advice for dealing with overwhelmed bureaucracy--know where your package is and ask about progress in very short, very respectful ways that prevent animosity to any of the human cogs who have your package at any point. You're trying to convince them you're helping. Make it clear that you're something to get off of their table--ask what the next step after them is so that they have to think about it. Keep your RFIs evenly spaced and fair emailing at 1900 on a Friday and calling 0800 on a Monday won't get you anywhere. But that's about all I know that you can do. This is a log jam.

You're probably going to have to spend two weeks in a hotel or barracks room whenever you arrive to Japan. I would start working on ways to be with your loved ones remotely as often as possible--the DoD actively doesn't want its members wandering around the American country side and assumes that those in transit are immediately licking doorknobs. I wouldn't be surprised if normal leave chits are requiring O-6 or a star to approve them at most commands. The good news is that you're going to end up with a lot of sitting around time between now and then and you can try to emotionally be there when you can't be physically there.

piL fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 27, 2020

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

It's never out of line to call your detailer. It's worth a shot but they may not be willing to give you an ORDMOD. I can't link it easily from my phone, so Google MILPERSMAN 1320-306. Look at page 5, paragraph 3. TSC Admin can pen/ink your RNLT date up to 30 days later. You'll want to keep your next command aware of any changes. Let me know how this works out for you.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

DustyNuts posted:

It's never out of line to call your detailer. It's worth a shot but they may not be willing to give you an ORDMOD. I can't link it easily from my phone, so Google MILPERSMAN 1320-306. Look at page 5, paragraph 3. TSC Admin can pen/ink your RNLT date up to 30 days later. You'll want to keep your next command aware of any changes. Let me know how this works out for you.

Good point! On that note, there's a lot of verbals going around from some of the detailers and placement to personnel. So if you get that word, send them an email asking to confirm. "Good afternoon ma'am, I just wanted to make sure that you said that the plan is to submit an ORDMOD to arrive at USS SOANDSO NLT Xth July", then forward it to your next command and appropriate personnel at your local command. Otherwise there's going to be people trying to put you on a plane staring at a set of hardcopy orders both incredulous that some person in Tennessee 'told you', and frustrated that nobody told them so they didn't have to go check out a duty vehicle at 4am or route your travel docs.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1276953204492832769?s=20

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Well I'm finally up for PCS orders. I can't extend any further at my command after 6 1/2 years (although my boss has said if I want a new set of orders there, she can make it happen - my family and I just don't want to be in Virginia any longer). It's my first look so I doubt I'll be selected for anything, but I have two choices.

Naval Base Ventura County (Point Mugu) as the base Career Counselor

or

Surface Division TWO ONE which I guess is some LCS support bullshit in Mayport FL, as a CCC

My wife and I are both from California, so the choice seems pretty obvious. We're San Diegans so the idea of living adjacent to LA is kind of "eh" but it looks like Simi Valley might be a nice area to live. Plus we can visit family on weekends. I don't want to completely count Mayport out though, but it seems like Jacksonville is like Virginia Beach, just much BIGGER. Endless planned developments and urban sprawl. Strip mall hell.

Any advice from those of you that have been stationed at either place?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Gnaw off your own leg before voluntarily going to Florida. Jacksonville is definitely worse than VA Beach. At least VA Beach is near some nicer places.

Al Capwn
Nov 18, 2004

DustyNuts posted:

Just looked up that document and that's exactly what I need! That seems like that directly applies to me. How would I go about that with TSC Admin? I'm thinking about printing that instruction out and giving it to my CPPA or something?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Jacksonville is loving awful. It's a humid swampy mess.

Some beaches there are okay.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Florida might be a bad bet due to their coronavirus response or lack thereof. It might be a very difficult transition and your spouse/significant other might have trouble finding work there if the local economy collapses due to the response. California's response is better so they seem less likely to be impacted in the long term. If you still have family in California that would make it even better, as many people will likely not want to fly for the foreseeable future, so being driving distance of extended family could be a big win.

Florida also has some other issues outside of coronavirus response that would make it hard for me to suggest it. On the other hand, if you are a big Jimmy Buffet fan, his line of branded hotels and restaurants are really popular down there.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Al Capwn posted:

Just looked up that document and that's exactly what I need! That seems like that directly applies to me. How would I go about that with TSC Admin? I'm thinking about printing that instruction out and giving it to my CPPA or something?

Yes, do this. There is a strong chance that they do not know about it.

Thanks for the Florida advice everyone. It's definitely how we were leaning anyway.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

DustyNuts posted:

Naval Base Ventura County (Point Mugu) as the base Career Counselor

Point Mugu is awesome, do that one. It's a very chill little base and doesn't have any of the "Navy Town" bullshit you get with bigger bases like Norfolk. I like to think of it as "close enough to LA that it's convenient, far enough from LA that you're not in LA". And San Diego is a three or four hour drive, or a direct train ride, so it's an easy weekend trip. I'm honestly struggling to think of any real downsides other than the standard SoCal gripes like needing to drive everywhere and high housing costs.

I just got orders back there myself and I'm really looking forward to it.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Ventura County has tons of really cool stuff in it. Forest fires can be a thing, but if you are from SoCal you already know about that.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

DustyNuts posted:

Surface Division TWO ONE which I guess is some LCS support bullshit in Mayport FL, as a CCC

My wife and I are both from California, so the choice seems pretty obvious. We're San Diegans so the idea of living adjacent to LA is kind of "eh" but it looks like Simi Valley might be a nice area to live. Plus we can visit family on weekends. I don't want to completely count Mayport out though, but it seems like Jacksonville is like Virginia Beach, just much BIGGER. Endless planned developments and urban sprawl. Strip mall hell.

Echoing the "avoid Jacksonville" sentiment, it is a lot of endless sprawl and a butt-ton of humidity and heat. The cost of living wasn't bad and the city did grow on me, but all the really good stuff I liked about Jacksonville was all the stuff that was away from Jacksonville (St Augustine, Savannah, Orlando), and as IncredibleIgloo mentioned with the Florida COVID response, Jacksonville might not be sitting too pretty.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I've never been to Magu so I have no ability to compare to anything, but loving :lol: x infinity at people thinking living anywhere in Virginia is better than Jacksonville.

Jacksonville's not the best place ever, but it's not terrible. The schools in Duval County are generally poo poo overall (there are exceptions) so I wouldn't recommend it for families, but it's cheap, close to lots of great stuff, and actually does have burgeoning cultural scene as long as you get away from the Jax Beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Simi Valley in is going to be a decent chunk of your life commuting, unless you don't give a gently caress about 90-120 minutes potentially in the car each day. I'm here, though, so that's the biggest strike against it I can think of to chime in with. Mugu is a really cool installation, though, like one of the places I always dug getting to spend time on.