Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Flesh Forge posted:

pretty neat when you have explicit fascists featured heavily in the game but you're not allowed to have a character that opposes them

Not called "ANTIFA Super Soldier", no. If you call yourself "Il Partigiano", fourth-generation Italian Resistance, Paolo Tirelli had your great-grandfather executed and you're going to break his organization from the ground up, literally nobody is going to give a care.

But Antifa's being pushed as the new Satanic Panic, and the way things are going right now it won't be long until some mad mob decides they've found an Antifa super soldier who needs to be put to death for the good of America.

In another couple months it'll be all those evil postal workers out to steal Trump votes to destroy America (they can tell them by the burning righteousness that shines through the envelope), but for now Antifa is a right-wing talking point and beyond parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

the best defense of the practice I can muster is "they can't tell if you're a right-winger doing bad parody or a left-winger earnestly expressing your beliefs"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Glazius posted:

but for now Antifa is beyond parody.

it's not tho

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Glazius posted:

I was extremely surprised to find this name not taken. Though it was a bit closer to launch.

As long as it's not Astroturf.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Bloodly posted:

As long as it's not Astroturf.

a feature of Champions I sorely miss here is the ability to make your own nemesis to fight in content where the specific character isn't important

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

LordSaturn posted:

a feature of Champions I sorely miss here is the ability to make your own nemesis to fight in content where the specific character isn't important
Nemesis was great. Sometimes people went all in with villains to match the backstories of their characters. Others just made bricks of blue crystal named A Walking Mound of Questionite.

Personally, I miss the charname@accountname system. It's sort of there in CoH. But you can't have duplicate character names.

Also I'm surprised my Thugs MM missed the blanket ban for antifa names.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
One of my favorite characters I saw around Champions Online was, well... I'll let the bio speak for itself.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

One of my favorite characters I saw around Champions Online was, well... I'll let the bio speak for itself.

the problem with putting voice acting in your MMO is that everyone memorizes the lines, IN THE FROST TOMB

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
So in my return I was dumb and chose to make a Tanker Fire/Rad instead of a Brute for farming. I know these days with Incarnates it shouldn't make too much difference, but he still just doesn't seem right as far as a build. Is using a Brute Rad/Fire build and swapping it around viable? Or would it be built differently? I can't find a Tanker build like that. I haven't looked in a while and I plan to soon, but I figured I'd ask here as well.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

My farmer has been a fire/rad tanker since before the tank buffs. Made it when they first announced the buffs were happening. I love that character a lot, especially feels better to play in real content than the */fire brute I had on live.

I can throw my build in discord or in here later when I'm free.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Tsurupettan posted:

My farmer has been a fire/rad tanker since before the tank buffs. Made it when they first announced the buffs were happening. I love that character a lot, especially feels better to play in real content than the */fire brute I had on live.

I can throw my build in discord or in here later when I'm free.

Cool, thanks man

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Hey, this is probably a stupid question, and possibly one that's been asked before, but are there any servers running a build from before Issue 21? I tried playing on a private server a number of years ago, and all the changes that came with CoX going free-to-play (most glaringly, the removal of Galaxy City) really hampered the experience for me, it just didn't feel the same. For context, I'd been playing since the game released, and played most heavily up through around Issue 14, and more or less stopped entirely around Issue 18 (college kinda got in the way), and I guess I was hoping for things to be more familiar than they were. I'm not even really criticizing the changes. It's just that I want to play the game I remember from when I was a teenager, and based on what I've read about the updates from after Going Rogue, it seems like the post-f2p Issues are what changed things most significantly. So, I thought I'd ask if maybe there was a server where I could go wallow in nostalgia.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey, this is probably a stupid question, and possibly one that's been asked before, but are there any servers running a build from before Issue 21? I tried playing on a private server a number of years ago, and all the changes that came with CoX going free-to-play (most glaringly, the removal of Galaxy City) really hampered the experience for me, it just didn't feel the same. For context, I'd been playing since the game released, and played most heavily up through around Issue 14, and more or less stopped entirely around Issue 18 (college kinda got in the way), and I guess I was hoping for things to be more familiar than they were. I'm not even really criticizing the changes. It's just that I want to play the game I remember from when I was a teenager, and based on what I've read about the updates from after Going Rogue, it seems like the post-f2p Issues are what changed things most significantly. So, I thought I'd ask if maybe there was a server where I could go wallow in nostalgia.

no

you can go back to Galaxy City if you want, though, the portal is around the back of Ouroboros (Echo: Galaxy City in the transport hub)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
If you absolutely have to see the old Galaxy City in it's pristine state: get a Wentworth's teleporter, activate it but do not hit a destination. Instead, enter this into the chatbar:

/enter_door_teleport NewPlayer 29

The mods might frown on this because it forces the server to load a map that is normally never opened, but if you don't do it during peak hours it won't be a problem.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Well, I can give it a shot, but I make no promises not to stare into the distance and sigh wistfully the whole time like the sad old man I am.

I didn't play long enough on the other private server to get a feel for it, but CoX is still free of the usual MMO bullshit, right? Like, is getting good enhancements or an optimized build still mostly an exercise in bragging rights or a PVP thing? Also, did Homecoming remove the cash shop NPCs? I played the free-to-play version exactly once, shortly before they shut down, and I remember seeing these NPCs in Cap au Diable that were just for cash shop stuff and it made me too depressed to keep playing. I know it sounds like whining, but the thing I only realized after CoX had been shut down and I'd tried and failed to really connect with drat near every MMO released since is that what really made the difference was the immersion, just being able to go and do superhero/villain stuff without having to think about loot drops or builds or other things that are all over other MMOs.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

EclecticTastes posted:

Well, I can give it a shot, but I make no promises not to stare into the distance and sigh wistfully the whole time like the sad old man I am.

I didn't play long enough on the other private server to get a feel for it, but CoX is still free of the usual MMO bullshit, right? Like, is getting good enhancements or an optimized build still mostly an exercise in bragging rights or a PVP thing? Also, did Homecoming remove the cash shop NPCs? I played the free-to-play version exactly once, shortly before they shut down, and I remember seeing these NPCs in Cap au Diable that were just for cash shop stuff and it made me too depressed to keep playing. I know it sounds like whining, but the thing I only realized after CoX had been shut down and I'd tried and failed to really connect with drat near every MMO released since is that what really made the difference was the immersion, just being able to go and do superhero/villain stuff without having to think about loot drops or builds or other things that are all over other MMOs.

The Homecoming version "Pay 2 win" NPC has caused a lot of confusion because it's currently an NPC that offers for free, or sells for plain old in game currency, stuff that used to be cash shop toys. Make sure to browse through it for the entirely free options too, like how your first pick of things like Ninja Run vs Beast run or jump jet vs steam jet is free. While various jetpacks are dirt cheap influence wise.

Also you can totally just hurl yourself into the game and manage without worrying about enhancments at first, and there are a couple low level specialty missions that will let you zoom through level 1 to 20 along with some bonuses equivilant to enhancments that last like, a week? It's been a while since I've played on Homecoming though, but you should be fine :buddy:

EDIT: a lot of cash stuff is now by default, like unlocking the ability to change your gender at "Cosmetic surgeon" NPCs instead of the regular tailors used to be an account wide cash shop deal, but is now just default. Along with having a shitload of costume slots. The "open auction house nearly anywhere" command which was a tail end of subscription rewards, etc etc. If it cost real money before, it's something you can get either by default, for free, or throwing influence at it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 27, 2020

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

modern CoX has extremely good quality-of-life features but none of them are obvious on inspection. like, there's no signposting for them, no discoverability. if something sucks in the game, ask about it here

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
When I first played the private server I was surprised to see how nice atlas park looked, like way better than it used to be. When I got around to doing echo badges, apparently the only major change was adding more and nicer plants.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
:confused: If we're talking pre-F2P and post-F2P Atlas it was a pretty big change.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

EclecticTastes posted:

You can't go home again, I'm afraid.

You CAN make a colorful power ranger who commands plant monters.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

EclecticTastes posted:

Actually if you want to pursue, like, modestly complicated builds, it's gotten a whole lot easier and more fun. The key is in one of those cash shop things called enhancement converters. One converter turns an enhancement into another one from its rarity, two turn it into something else in the same category (as long as it's uncommon or rare) and three turn it into something else from the same set.

In the game as it stood, it took 10 reward merits and 125,000 inf to get one converter.

In Homecoming, it takes 10 reward merits and no inf to get 30 converters. You can make a lot of money running task forces or story arcs and turning all the reward merits into converters, then selling them for 80k a pop, which seems to be a stabilized price for them. 2 million will kit you out in IOs at level 25 and you'll be pretty well set up from then on. 10 million will get you one of the cash shop super packs, which have been fed into the auction house in more or less unlimited supply. You can buy crafted enhancements at any level from the auction house, or in a level-synced version, and that purchase will pull from the general pool of crafted enhancements up for sale. (Similarly, there are general pools of common, uncommon, and rare salvage and anything you sell can be bought as something else from the pool.)

What I find myself doing is keeping like 200 converters around and when I get full on salvage or recipes I craft all my stuff and play converter roulette until I get something rare that'll sell well - damage, resist, defense, healing, end mod, and a couple outliers. I usually take the initiative forming TFs so I don't get stuck on somebody's +4/x8 death march, and it's all great.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I appreciate the advice (though I'm probably going to just use whatever drops from enemies and forget Reward Merits exist), but the one thing I always had a hard time with when looking at information post-mortem was the Incarnate system, specifically the Alpha Slot. Like, each option can do so many different things, and I'd love it if there were some sort of spreadsheet that covered which power sets could benefit most broadly from each Alpha ability. Between old characters I'd be reviving, new ones for the two new Mastermind primaries (I make characters for every MM primary), and Praetorian characters I'd planned but never got around to making, I'm looking at twenty characters. I've at least narrowed my seven Masterminds down to either Intuition or Musculature for the damage, and that makes a manageable decision space, but the other thirteen characters are going to be a nightmare to figure out. I'd skip it, but there's apparently some content gated behind it, plus the other Incarnate slots seem pretty cool.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
Most people/builds I've seen use Musculature or Agility, but to be honest I've only looked in depth at the builds for my characters so you may see the others more for different ATs/builds.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

homecoming drastically reduced the costs for building incarnate powers. it is hilariously easy to make a second alpha if you chose wrong initially, so I'd say just guess

this page has a pretty good rundown of what all the alpha options do, visualized with the help of SO icons https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Alpha_Slot_Abilities

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

homecoming drastically reduced the costs for building incarnate powers. it is hilariously easy to make a second alpha if you chose wrong initially, so I'd say just guess

this page has a pretty good rundown of what all the alpha options do, visualized with the help of SO icons https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Alpha_Slot_Abilities

Yeah, that's what I was looking at before. The big issue is constructing a matrix in my head for which benefits apply to which powers. Like, most Mastermind primaries look like they'd work well with Intuition Radial, to boost the various control powers one's henchmen have (plus, most MM secondaries/APPs have some decent mez options) as well as their damage, while the simpler ones (like Robots) seem like they'd fit better with Musculature Core. It took several hours, and I'm still unsure about some of my picks, but I've got a tentative model going.

By the way, are the various deprecated costume options still deprecated? I used to have a number of characters that used the old "glowing eyes" face that got removed with the addition of Auras, but the equivalent auras don't produce the same effect, being particle effects rather than part of the texture. It's why I never took any of those characters to the Tailor after the change, back in the old game, I prefer the more subtle glowing effect that replaces the regular eyes over the big, obvious glow where you can still see the eyes underneath.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Pretty sure the glowing eyes face is still around. I wasn't aware it was ever deprecated in the first place.

I'm still waiting for them to restore the original, non-reflect-mapped version of the Metallic textures. They're well aware of that one, but I think it got lost in the shuffle and I think at the time they still only had like, half a person working on costume stuff.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

yeah the glowing eyes face isn't gone, I use it a lot because I'm a dork

for the alphas, 1) it absolutely doesn't matter until level 50, so play the character and get a feel for what they need 2) pick whatever the initial bonus is that's best. damage? recharge? cost reduction? then you can steer along to whatever side of the tree works best. if you wanna minmax numbers it's probably gonna involve you posting one build at a time here and having a whole workshop about it

basically power selection and enhancement slotting are going to have much more impact on your gameplay, incarnates glide across the top of all that

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Pretty sure the glowing eyes face is still around. I wasn't aware it was ever deprecated in the first place.

After Auras were introduced in Issue 2, the "glowing eyes" face was removed. The default "suit and tie" torso option available from release was also taken out of the creator after the introduction of separate layers for suit jacket and undershirt. Neither were fully excised, they were just taken out of the visible options, so any character that still had them could keep them as long as you never tried to alter those costume slots (you'd automatically get shifted to a default replacement if you tried). I remember because I was pretty cheesed off when I went to the tailor make a caped outfit for one of my characters only to realize that changing his costume at all meant losing his glowing eyes. There's a possibility this stuff was put back if it happened sometime after Issue 14; I wasn't paying much attention to each Issue by that point. But, good to know the Homecoming team has opened the vault, assuming the devs didn't do it themselves.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
Isn't there a Supernatural face for every bodytype that uses textured glowing eyes?

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Finding out that this is back was a very pleasant surprise because I never stopped being nostalgic for a game in which I never participated in 'endgame' or even had any of those enhancement sets - I just liked making characters and blowing up swarms of trash mobs.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

yeah the glowing eyes face isn't gone, I use it a lot because I'm a dork

Okay, I actually hopped in and played a little, and unless I'm missing something, the glowing eyes face is gone. There's the supernatural faces, some of which have eyes that, like, maybe-kinda-sorta glow, but the original face with the glowing eyes remains unavailable, unless it's under some menu I missed. It was literally the default face (CoH default, not the new "Face 1" that became the default post-CoV) but with glowing patches in place of the eyes.

Though, it's a bit of a moot point, since I can't remake the characters that used that face, anyway, as their names are taken. :smith:

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

LordSaturn posted:

for the alphas, 1) it absolutely doesn't matter until level 50, so play the character and get a feel for what they need 2) pick whatever the initial bonus is that's best. damage? recharge? cost reduction? then you can steer along to whatever side of the tree works best. if you wanna minmax numbers it's probably gonna involve you posting one build at a time here and having a whole workshop about it

100% this. Unless you got powerleveled to 50 you're going to have at least a vague idea of what your strong and weak points are.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

EclecticTastes posted:

Okay, I actually hopped in and played a little, and unless I'm missing something, the glowing eyes face is gone. There's the supernatural faces, some of which have eyes that, like, maybe-kinda-sorta glow, but the original face with the glowing eyes remains unavailable, unless it's under some menu I missed. It was literally the default face (CoH default, not the new "Face 1" that became the default post-CoV) but with glowing patches in place of the eyes.

Though, it's a bit of a moot point, since I can't remake the characters that used that face, anyway, as their names are taken. :smith:

You can give any face glowy eyes using an Aura.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Gynovore posted:

You can give any face glowy eyes using an Aura.

EclecticTastes posted:

I prefer the more subtle glowing effect that replaces the regular eyes over the big, obvious glow where you can still see the eyes underneath.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I think the glowing eyes is supernatural face 13? the very last one. but - and this is important - you have to click back once on the makeup setting. they separated the "tint" map from the actual face texture a while ago. same as you have to do for a bunch of the textured tights options

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

I think the glowing eyes is supernatural face 13? the very last one. but - and this is important - you have to click back once on the makeup setting. they separated the "tint" map from the actual face texture a while ago. same as you have to do for a bunch of the textured tights options

Oh, huh. Good to know there are glowing eyes that work how I want them, though it is a slightly different face. The eyes are significantly wider, for one thing; you can compare it to old screenshots of Citadel to see the difference (his model uses the original glowing eyes face). If the names of the characters who'd use it ever free up, I'll noodle around and see how this face fits.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

Is it common knowledge that blazing blast for fire blast sentinels turns off enemy toggles for some reason? I just noticed this recently, and it's been amazingly useful (only in the mid-20s now, but so far tsoo sorcerers and BP shamans don't get to do poo poo), but all I ever see people say about this power is that they don't like the knockback/repel effect.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Egadsman posted:

Is it common knowledge that blazing blast for fire blast sentinels turns off enemy toggles for some reason? I just noticed this recently, and it's been amazingly useful (only in the mid-20s now, but so far tsoo sorcerers and BP shamans don't get to do poo poo), but all I ever see people say about this power is that they don't like the knockback/repel effect.

I vaguely recall when the game was live they added that toggle suppression as a part of all knockdown/back to make it a more competitive form of CC. I say this as someone who was maining a mace dude back when the only thing mace did was aoe and knockdown. Those sorcerers were the biggest pain in the butt back then too and are the ones I remember that being the biggest help with.

I also ran a gravity control corrupter, since picking up random junk and sending dudes flying with it never stopped being funny, even if the power that did it was garbage for most of the time I was playing.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

Weird. I've never noticed toggle suppression on any other knock* power, but perhaps I just haven't been paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Egadsman posted:

Weird. I've never noticed toggle suppression on any other knock* power, but perhaps I just haven't been paying attention.

Take it with a grain of salt, since I haven't reinstalled for private servers yet, and I'm going off of memory as someone who played before the game was even on steam. So this might be the equivalent of someone who played during BC giving advice on modern WoW