Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Difficulty chat, but for more general games: I like to start almost all games on normal or easy and then if I like it enough/am good at it I'll crank it up until I feel challenged.

Example A: XCOM, I played on very easy and had a great time steamrolling things and was confident enough to play on normal and also had fun, but I know hard will murder my stupid brain.

Example B: Command and Conquer Remastered: sticking to normal because just normal is spanking me and I might drop to easy if I get frustrated.

Example C: Rimworld! Using the dev mode to undo colonist deaths or spawn in more angry raiders has actually made it more rewarding as it's my game, my story, and with some self-control it's still challenging and people get hurt and potentially die - I'm a whimsical god and sometimes a death is earned.

Also NEVER feel shame about cheating in a single-player game. rosebud rosebud rosebud;;;;; is the path to having fun. I wish more modern games would have easy to access cheat commands so you can make the game your own.

That said, some people will activate godmode and then remove all the fun and not realize they need to turn it off, so if you're one of those people, uh, remember that challenge can be really rewarding and so on.

One last judgmental note: cheating in puzzle games is bad, and I regret every single time I've done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I really shouldn't buy more games this sale, but I was watching this guy's inhuman experiments and it got me thinking:
What's your favorite game for just building pretty, aesthetic, beautiful or cool stuff? Like, I noticed when Josh realized nightmares in Planet Zoo and Planet Coaster that there's a shitload of customization options and ways to fine tune stuff, so I'm thinking about games with actual systems that still let you spend hours figuring out small details.

Cities Skylines is a good example for me, where I spend an inordinate amount of time making sure a small back road that probably won't get used still looks perfect. Satisfactory is a game with relatively few beautification options, but you can still spend a lot of time creating beauty.

How about you?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

I really shouldn't buy more games this sale, but I was watching this guy's inhuman experiments and it got me thinking:
What's your favorite game for just building pretty, aesthetic, beautiful or cool stuff? Like, I noticed when Josh realized nightmares in Planet Zoo and Planet Coaster that there's a shitload of customization options and ways to fine tune stuff, so I'm thinking about games with actual systems that still let you spend hours figuring out small details.

Cities Skylines is a good example for me, where I spend an inordinate amount of time making sure a small back road that probably won't get used still looks perfect. Satisfactory is a game with relatively few beautification options, but you can still spend a lot of time creating beauty.

How about you?

Minecraft, Terraria, Rimworld, Dwarf Fortress.... at least those are the biggest ones that come to mind. There's a cool person in the Rimworld thread who makes snake-themed bases.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah, more abstract stuff like Rimworld is what scratches that itch for me -- I find that if I have too many options I agonize over stuff too much and just go do something else. Every few months I'll get the idea that it would be fun to build a house from scratch in Sims 4 and then I spend like 45 minutes on a kitchen and give up

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

aas Bandit posted:

I absolutely love the Soulsborne games, but I was super stoked for Sekiro and reluctantly bounced off it after a few hours and finally being forced to realize I wasn't having fun at all with the whole timing/riposte, fight-one-way sorta vibe (along with the lack of dress-up and a bajillion weapons).

How much of Fallen Order relies on that sort of thing, and forces you into learning exactly how the game wants you to play? Is it more free-form when compared with Sekiro or something similar? I watched bits of a couple of let's plays and it seemed like there was a fair amount of that...am I wrong?

fallen order's combat is generally looser/sloppier and a lot more forgiving, plus there are difficulty options

also you have telekinetic superpowers, of which there is a noticeable dearth in sekiro

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

aas Bandit posted:

I absolutely love the Soulsborne games, but I was super stoked for Sekiro and reluctantly bounced off it after a few hours and finally being forced to realize I wasn't having fun at all with the whole timing/riposte, fight-one-way sorta vibe (along with the lack of dress-up and a bajillion weapons).

How much of Fallen Order relies on that sort of thing, and forces you into learning exactly how the game wants you to play? Is it more free-form when compared with Sekiro or something similar? I watched bits of a couple of let's plays and it seemed like there was a fair amount of that...am I wrong?

I would say fallen order is more on the Sekiro side, it has a specific idea in mind for taking out enemies generally and you get force powers upgrades so you can switch things up somewhat. You can get some new outfits for the main character, light saber crystals to change the blade color, skins for your robot buddy and various parts of the light saber to customize into different styles but they are just cosmetic. You use the same light saber that will get a couple upgrades, it's not like dark souls where you have different kind of swords, spears, a big club etc. I also found Fallen order to be okay, and $30 is a fair price for it if you're a fan of star wars.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oxxidation posted:

fallen order's combat is generally looser/sloppier and a lot more forgiving, plus there are difficulty options

also you have telekinetic superpowers, of which there is a noticeable dearth in sekiro

Let's be fair, some of the flamethrower and umbrella stuff was pretty bullshit

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

launching into space for the first time in outer wilds was kind of...magical, i dunno. sitting there alone in my tiny ship floating away from my planet into the complete unknown. it made me feel very small like space is supposed to.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Awesome! posted:

launching into space for the first time in outer wilds was kind of...magical, i dunno. sitting there alone in my tiny ship floating away from my planet into the complete unknown. it made me feel very small like space is supposed to.

Makes us feel like real astronauts.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Awesome! posted:

counterpoint, launching into space for the first time followed by immediately losing control of how to move your craft, somehow flipping exactly 180 degrees upside down and crash landing in a geyser one valley over which promptly erupts and kills you

... was also kind of magical tbf

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Minecraft, Terraria, Rimworld, Dwarf Fortress.... at least those are the biggest ones that come to mind. There's a cool person in the Rimworld thread who makes snake-themed bases.

Those are good options, even if Minecraft is one of those games I'll never, ever return to. I've put so many hours into Rimworld and Dorf, and Terraria is pretty easy to jump back in for a few hours.

goferchan posted:

Yeah, more abstract stuff like Rimworld is what scratches that itch for me -- I find that if I have too many options I agonize over stuff too much and just go do something else. Every few months I'll get the idea that it would be fun to build a house from scratch in Sims 4 and then I spend like 45 minutes on a kitchen and give up

I love Sims 4, but I'm sort of the same way. I guess I guess it's to the game's credit that I don't mind spending an hour on something inconsequential and then just abandoning it.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Occultatio posted:

counterpoint, launching into space for the first time followed by immediately losing control of how to move your craft, somehow flipping exactly 180 degrees upside down and crash landing in a geyser one valley over which promptly erupts and kills you

... was also kind of magical tbf

All I did was nosedive when I practiced with the model one. I'm so bad.... (I also crashed landed on my first actual launch.)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Insert name here posted:

I finally got around to buying EDF5 and I can't decide whether to laugh or cry that despite all the changes, the vehicle controls are still the same lovely controls since forever. Can't wait to unlock my first helicopter and fail to kill anything with it, as is tradition.

Would you recommend playing on this difficulty for the first playthrough? And is it possible to lower the difficulty mid-run if I'm a big baby who can't hack it?

Yes you can and yes I would, but I like hard games.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i like xcom and xcom2 should i get the mechwarrior xcomlike game? i also liked mechwarrior back whenever the mercs 4 came out

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Kly posted:

i like xcom and xcom2 should i get the mechwarrior xcomlike game? i also liked mechwarrior back whenever the mercs 4 came out

100%. It's one of the best games of the last few years imo.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Anyone tried Hydroneer?
Edit: I can't sleep and forgot I already posted.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes.

It's pretty much exactly what it is on the tin. You will have some fun digging and panning for gold in order to get your way up to having poo poo do it for, in between you will do things like accidentally nudge an item and send it careening across the map, or tip out a bucket full of ore and experience negative framerates for a minute.
If you're in for doing busywork working towards nothing but the elimination of busywork then I would say it's currently a chill distraction.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

Yes.

It's pretty much exactly what it is on the tin. You will have some fun digging and panning for gold in order to get your way up to having poo poo do it for, in between you will do things like accidentally nudge an item and send it careening across the map, or tip out a bucket full of ore and experience negative framerates for a minute.
If you're in for doing busywork working towards nothing but the elimination of busywork then I would say it's currently a chill distraction.

How is the base building aspect? Can you make yourself a cozy, custom made home?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

whats the best sea dogs game?

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Artelier posted:

Me: There's a sale! Time to buy a few games at once!

Also me: Though I could use that coupon to get Persona 4 slightly cheaper instead...

Heads up, it's unplayably buggy for me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Soul Glo posted:

If you like Star Wars or Dark Souls*, you should play Fallen Order. Best SW game, easily.

*it’s more casual than the reputation of that series.

Battlefront 2 has a surprisingly decent single player, based on the small amount I've played.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

sebmojo posted:

Battlefront 2 has a surprisingly decent single player, based on the small amount I've played.

It takes a very sharp turn for the terrible story wise.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Kly posted:

whats the best sea dogs game?

Probably "City of Abandoned Ships", the latest one "To Each His Own" kinda railroads you into one character and busts your balls with some absurdly difficult quests early, expecting you to be a series veteran using all the cheese.
"City of Abandoned Ships" is more sandboxy, doesn't have much timed content, although the start as Peter Blood isn't the tutorial as you might expect, but an advanced start.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 28, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

the best part about fallen order for me was the discovery that i can switch on/off the lightsabers individually

walk up to guard, switch on one side, guard alerts everyone, flip on dual sides, go ham, leave one guy left, switch back to single side and walk coolly...

IT IS STYLISH OKAY

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Imo the most stylish thing is flinging nerds off every surtace you conceivably can.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Imo the most stylish thing is flinging nerds off every surtace you conceivably can.
A proud tradition ever since they gave Kyle Katarn a magic glowstick and space wizard powers.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Fallen order has difficulty settings so it never requires you to master anything like Sekiro if you just want to screw around with light sabers in a fun great looking game

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I got and refunded the C&C Remaster because I realized I never really got into the original games, the first I really loved was RA2 and once the difficulty started ramping up I knew I don't actually like playing C&C and RA. The technical side of the games is immaculate, though. Probably the best remaster I've ever seen.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh my god you can attach shuttle thrusters to the back of rovers in Astroneer

GOAT

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

lordfrikk posted:

I got and refunded the C&C Remaster because I realized I never really got into the original games, the first I really loved was RA2 and once the difficulty started ramping up I knew I don't actually like playing C&C and RA. The technical side of the games is immaculate, though. Probably the best remaster I've ever seen.

if you like RTS though, I highly recommend the AoE2 remaster. It's very good.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

FuzzySlippers posted:

Fallen order has difficulty settings so it never requires you to master anything like Sekiro if you just want to screw around with light sabers in a fun great looking game

I'm playing Fallen Order on the second from highest difficulty and it feels pretty good. It's definitely a lot easier than any of the souls-born games I've played (Dark Souls and Bloodborn, never played Sekiro).

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Biggest adjustment for me from Souls games to Fallen Order is that enemies can do a lot of animation morphing in the middle of an attack to turn and hit you. The Souls games and even the Witcher 3 get you used to position being important and that you can just walk around an opponent's attack once you can predict their behaviour.

Oggdo Boggdo teaches you early not to do this in Fallen Order. :downs:

Not a criticism of the game, it wants you to dodge very late. Dodging an opponent's attack early means they will morph their animation and hit you even though you weren't in the attack's initial path.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 29, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Black Griffon posted:

How is the base building aspect? Can you make yourself a cozy, custom made home?
Technically yes but the way you do this is load 3 house building tiles into your truck, slowly drive back to your build site, drop them/plop them, and repeat roughly 1000 times. You might get cute once and try to add that fourth tile into your truck and it clips into something and now your truck is orbiting the map as a new moon.

It's a neat budget experience but desperately needs building material delivery or something. I don't want an inventory as that'd spoil the point but it's just impossible to build anything if you don't have the ocd to ferry materials back for 95% of your playing time.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I got Command and Conquer Remastered and am impressed so far with the updates they've made to the originals. There's only so much you can do about the dated FMVs, but all in all it looks and plays great. The C&C "upgrade" intro was a nice touch.

It's hard to believe that this stuff came out when people were still playing on 16-bit consoles.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So what's the word on Space station games at the moment?
I know about https://store.steampowered.com/app/900010/Meeple_Station/ but I know there's another two current ones floating about, but I don't remember their names. Any of them decent?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I do find it funny that ten year old me had no problem beating GDI mission 4 but 21 years later I can’t get past it to save my life. The remaster is amazing though.

They better do TS and RA2 soon.

Been playing some Streets of Rogue. I bounced off it in the past but playing it now I couldn’t tell you why. This game is insanely fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I do find it funny that ten year old me had no problem beating GDI mission 4 but 21 years later I can’t get past it to save my life. The remaster is amazing though.

They better do TS and RA2 soon.

If you're in Bialystok, here's how I did it on normal:

- don't put troops in the APCs until you get to the bottom where the tanks are
- before you go down to the tanks put your troops in APCs and go left instead to get the reinforcements
- use your vehicles to aggro the tanks one at a time over to the building bottleneck so you can protect your troops with the APCs so they don't get squished
- squish as many enemies as you can with your APCs
- if you can't aggro the second tank go to him but BE CAREFUL

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK need the thread's advice.

I have a wishlist and I have (thanks to being furloughed) plenty of time to play games. But I'd like some help winnowing down this list to just games I'll actually play and like.

I can't do FPS games, especially ones where you shoot other people. I don't go in for multiplayer and I like a more considered, slower pace. Dexterity-free games are my jam (XCom and this war of mine are my top games) BUT I don't like sprawling endless builders or sims like Parkitect or Cities:Skylines and the engine-builder games like Factorio never clicked with me. I like games I can play in 2-3 sittings. And I love love love Walking Sims with great environments and stories and puzzles that aren't absurdly hard. (Tacoma yes, MYST no).

What on my list can definitely go, and what's worth a trial at least? tia

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

OK need the thread's advice.

I have a wishlist and I have (thanks to being furloughed) plenty of time to play games. But I'd like some help winnowing down this list to just games I'll actually play and like.

I can't do FPS games, especially ones where you shoot other people. I don't go in for multiplayer and I like a more considered, slower pace. Dexterity-free games are my jam (XCom and this war of mine are my top games) BUT I don't like sprawling endless builders or sims like Parkitect or Cities:Skylines and the engine-builder games like Factorio never clicked with me. I like games I can play in 2-3 sittings. And I love love love Walking Sims with great environments and stories and puzzles that aren't absurdly hard. (Tacoma yes, MYST no).

What on my list can definitely go, and what's worth a trial at least? tia
I don't think you'd like Dying Light 2 (1 is very fast-paced and has a lot FPS elements), Evil Within 2 (again, has some pretty frenetic moments, and you shoot a lot though it's mostly zombies/monsters). Nova Drift is a shmup at heart and as such is extremely dexterity-based. Abandon Ship can get pretty hectic too, but that's got a pause function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Jedi Fallen Order's asking you to dodge late in the animation makes it harder to punish a big damage, well telegraphed move than if you could position out of it like in the Souls games. It also doesn't let you build up that comforting rhythm against well understood enemies - which is probably what they were trying to avoid in Fallen Order, fair enough. The combat feels a lot looser than a Souls game because of this, but it's still fun and its own thing.

Oggdo Boggdo on Hard was a big roadblock for me, but that's a completely optional miniboss deliberately stuck into a small space to make the fight even more challenging. That fight felt a little easier when I first encountered it than when I understood Oggdo's moveset: dodging late on reaction was more successful than when I could predict its attacks and tried to walk around the attack or dodge early, before the dodge late idea got through to me.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 29, 2020