Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

namesake posted:

No the deadline for the end of the month is about extending negotiations - on July 1st we're leaving on 1st Jan with or without a deal. The deal can still be negotiated until November where they then have to go to the parliaments for approval or there's definitely no deal.

I think the need for the deal to be approved depends on how extensive the deal is in the first place - if it's a pure trade deal than I don't think it has to be. Then again that's not what the EU would want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

We will have a viable economic relationship with the rest of the world because it'll be through whatever lazy deal Johnson accepts last minute.
This outcome seems to depend on two things happening:
  • The EU crafts a trade deal out of whole cloth, without any meaningful UK involvement (assuming that no good-faith strategising or negotiation happens on our end). Throughout this entire process they've been repeating "tell us what you want" and I don't think they're going to put in the effort to write up a whole trade deal, even a hilariously lopsided one, that is more likely to be used as a political prop than to actually get signed.
  • If a deal does get written, Boris has to decide that the plaudits he'll receive from the business community for signing a deal they all know is shite is worth the damage both to his personal pride and to his support from the hardline Brexit community. And/or he has to decide that he and his mates stand to personally profit more from the trade deal; but I was a Tory disaster capitalist, I'd invest in the no-deal which is the default option and whose impacts are more predictable than the potential deal which might not happen and whose contents are not known.
I actually suspect the opposite will happen: I expect Boris is hoping / expecting the EU will offer him a terrible, one-sided deal so that he can make a big show of what a disaster trading with the EU would be; just look at all these far superior trade deals we've signed already! with countries on the other side of the planet for sectors that do orders of magnitude less trade

TACD fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 28, 2020

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i regret to inform you all that jk rowling Continues To Tweet

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Is there anything redeemable about Twitter? Like has it ever been a useful channel of communication for ordinary people in times of strife or a good organising tool, anything at all? Facebook seems immensely more important in ~electoral~ terms, and I’m unsure of the social benefits of the ‘screaming void that drinks your IQ’ app. Lets you know nearly every celeb is an utter stain on the landscape I spose?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Twitter's sole purpose is to make mental illness worse.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Me earlier: "Oh no, 'Jews' is trending - but wait, it doesn't say trending in the UK, maybe I *eyes look up* 'Trending UK - Zionism' ahhhhhhh there's my headache"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of the internationalism of the blm protests seems to occur through twitter.

I think facebook is more electorally relevant cos it's full of old farts who vote a lot.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You can just not look at bad people's tweets. My twitter feed is almost exclusively scientists in my field tweeting about interesting things they're doing. I set a few mute words to screen out the names of the most prominent politicians because I just don't want to discuss that stuff on that platform, and if someone I follow spends all their time retweeting hot centrist takes on how Trump is bad I mute them too.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 28, 2020

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Figured there had to be at least one half decent thing done over @jack’s platform for people with Nominative Fleg Disorder instead of through WhatsApp groups, Slack channels etc but couldn’t really think of any. From the outside with my face smeared against the glass it seems to act as a catalyst for self-destructive urges and psych pathologies as Tess has elegantly described, but then I don’t really use it and haven’t tried curating a feed via BAMO or owt

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

You can just not look at bad people's tweets.
The major issue is all of the people not doing this, and how much twitter's business model depends on that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
cummings is winning his war over the civil service because mark sedwill is quitting

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

You can just not look at bad people's tweets.
I wish. The forums would be improved immeasurably if the new admins disabled the twitter embedding code.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

You can just not look at bad people's tweets. My twitter feed is almost exclusively scientists in my field tweeting about interesting things they're doing. I set a few mute words to screen out the names of the most prominent politicians because I just don't want to discuss that stuff on that platform, and if someone I follow spends all their time retweeting hot centrist takes on how Trump is bad I mute them too.

this is why I keep complaining about Weetman/Grimes/whoever the gently caress else everyone's "dunking on" this week when they get posted in here

like I've actively gone out of my way to avoid them because they're useless shitheads and I'll feel better if I don't have to be exposed to them

e: there's at least two regulars ITT who I think are generally good posters but I've got on ignore because they just wouldn't. loving. stop. all the bad take tweetposts

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 28, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

given the purposes of masks and the demographics of those who refuse to wear them, I can't help but imagine there's quite a lot of overlaps here.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Cerv posted:

I wish. The forums would be improved immeasurably if the new admins disabled the twitter embedding code.

Get Privacy Badger, disable the Twitter thingy, and they'll just show up as links (assuming desktop browser)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of the internationalism of the blm protests seems to occur through twitter.
Black Twitter as a whole is an interesting phenomenon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Black Twitter as a whole is an interesting phenomenon.

Any particular reason? I don't use the platform myself directly.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If we're going to talk about vijo gam soundtracks, I will again point out this absolute banger from Warframe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPTCq3LiZSE

Comes from an expansion about a venusian slave labour force rebelling against the corporate masters who have literally been amputating parts of their bodies if they don't work hard enough.

I was just introduced to this song literally yesterday and have been listening to it constantly since :v:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Game music talk has got me looking up Jesper Kyd on Spotify.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Marty O'Donnell is pretty good as well, the symphony he wrote for Destiny has pretty much been my go-to for the last 2 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUfJvj6Hkfg

It's funny because the first song has this great sense of loss and of something once great and epic that has long since fallen, and uh... Destiny.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Who is going to challenge Starmer for leadership, you're running out of time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/JoshuaGarfield/status/1277181891985256449?s=20

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-wales-politics-53212785

gently caress the labour party

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

this is why I keep complaining about Weetman/Grimes/whoever the gently caress else everyone's "dunking on" this week when they get posted in here

like I've actively gone out of my way to avoid them because they're useless shitheads and I'll feel better if I don't have to be exposed to them

e: there's at least two regulars ITT who I think are generally good posters but I've got on ignore because they just wouldn't. loving. stop. all the bad take tweetposts

We have a separate thread for political cartoons and forwarded emails and stuff, so i'm certainly all for a separate thread for Twitter Idiots That Will Make Your Head Hurt

ThomasPaine can go there and post tweetman to his heart's content!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Any particular reason? I don't use the platform myself directly.
It's interesting as a phenomenon because African Americans traditionally owned desktop/laptop computers at lower rates than white Americans, and phones at higher rates.

Like Pew for 2015 says computer ownership was:
White 79%
Black 45%

Whereas smartphone ownership was:
White 66%
Black 68%

And cellphone ownership was:
White 91%
Black 94%

Web 1.0 was pretty white. Early Facebook was very white. But Twitter, by allowing you to use SMS and being mobile oriented, managed to pick up an organic Black userbase, not just in America but also in South Africa (and also but less so the UK). Big enough that the South African government was looking at trending hashtags for a community pulse, and the media started to take an interest.

There's a bunch of memes and tags that very much became an organic culture themselves.

Then those phones got better cameras and 4G internet and apps. With an organic network in place that could make BLM a thing very quickly, just from sharing video of poo poo that was happening and a bunch of white libs were like "holy poo poo, the police still beating people? I thought that only happened to Rodney King when a tourist with a $1500 camcorder happened to be there."

Twitter accidentally created a leaderless Civil Rights resistance because they made a social media that was a lot closer to how lots of African people from Detroit to Durban were already using technology, in such a way that wouldn't have otherwise happened unless someone at big tech had bothered to ask Black people their thoughts on things, which wasn't happening much. (That's also a good argument for diversity in tech.)

:thunk:
https://twitter.com/ukblm/status/1277177624884850689

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If we're going to talk about vijo gam soundtracks, I will again point out this absolute banger from Warframe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPTCq3LiZSE

Comes from an expansion about a venusian slave labour force rebelling against the corporate masters who have literally been amputating parts of their bodies if they don't work hard enough.

This other one is also great and gave me a full on identity crisis during this bit of the game. It turns out you were secretly an anime princess the whole time, and after saying 'this is who you are' it drops into a character creator about 50-100 hours into the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEiTgU-hM5k

The main drawback is that the composer is called Keith Power :thunk:

There should be a special level of gulag for anyone who sells out their field like this; climate science deniers, antivaxxers, IGN reviewers etc.

very curious to know what the labour practices of the company who made this game are

i wonder if they dont get overtime or any proper compensation for crunch

hmmmmmmmmm

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I said earlier in the thread that Labour would have done better by simply responding: "No we are not. gently caress you." when allegations of anti-semitism were weaponised against them. It looks like Black Lives Matter actually are taking this stance now that the same mud's being thrown at them and I'm very interested in seeing how well it works for them.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/27/lisa-nandy-leads-calls-for-sanctions-on-israel-over-west-bank-annexations

the Labour Party position on the two-state solution, and the West Bank annexation in particular hasn't changed. if they're gagged to critique that, it isn't a very effective gag.

no the criticism isn't very effective either. nothing will be while the USA is in full force for supporting this unfortunately.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a bit difficult to see how a movement opposing racialized violence through the use of militarized policing could possibly not have an opinion on I/P honestly.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

We have a separate thread for political cartoons and forwarded emails and stuff, so i'm certainly all for a separate thread for Twitter Idiots That Will Make Your Head Hurt

ThomasPaine can go there and post tweetman to his heart's content!

Hey now I haven't weetposted in months

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You'd think that "under your own standards you literally wouldn't be here in the first place, let alone PM, so who the gently caress are you to dictate immigration policy" would be an easy line against Patel, but I'm sure that Captain Spreadsheets would ignore that or literally any personal attack lines whatsoever in favour of making endless grovelling apologies for Labour's conduct instead.

I don't really think 'because you're brown you have to support lax immigration policies' is as clever a take as you think it is. Just paints a huge target on yourself for Tory accusations of racism. Labour keep falling into these traps.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/emmacpicken/status/1277298813775097856?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1277153478637387778?s=20
https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1277276334541230087?s=20
https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1277298368788733952?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/27/lisa-nandy-leads-calls-for-sanctions-on-israel-over-west-bank-annexations

the Labour Party position on the two-state solution, and the West Bank annexation in particular hasn't changed. if they're gagged to critique that, it isn't a very effective gag.

no the criticism isn't very effective either. nothing will be while the USA is in full force for supporting this unfortunately.
Yeah I'm just laughing at the idea that BLM didn't care about I/P until Those White Ladies stole the conversation. BLM is Black led and for Black liberation, but the idea that liberation movements don't care about anything outside of their own liberation is farcical, anhistorical, and just insulting to the people involved.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Deeply cursed image

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Are the ethnics all criminals? I'm not being racist, I'm just asking questions to the racists I invited on. You decide!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Ha that o'brien show looks like it was from the 80's not 5 years ago.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jippa posted:

Ha that o'brien show looks like it was from the 80's not 5 years ago.

I think anything on broadcast TV looks old and weird because I haven't watched it in like 15 years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Same, the format and camera work hasn't changed in ages so if you don't watch it then things from 40 years ago look the same as things from last year except for the picture quality and fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Another Pie rant doing the rounds on social media. I hate that dickhead so much